• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Doopliss

Finally hit HR 60. Turns out charm runs are a decent way to grind for HR. You get 300 points for every run and it never takes more than a couple of minutes, so you get HR on top of money and charms.

And now I can finally start grinding Akantor to make my Blunt/Mind's Eye/AuL set! I've already made a decent Blunt CB to go with it (230 power and long green), but I'm wondering if it's worth making an Akantor CB if I can't get Sharpness + on the set as well as blunt. According to the GaijinHunter vid on Top CB's, there's some sort of additionally negative damage mod for yellow sharpness and lower, but I don't know how often that realistically matters or if the crazy power and affinity makes up for it.

I'm def. gonna grind for an Akantor LS though seeing as that gets natural green, but I'd love to run the Akantor CB if the negative mod isn't too bad.
I don't know how easy it is to hit with the correct timing when using yellow sharpness (is there even a visual indicator?) but the penalty of 30% or 40% less damage for doing it wrong is huge. I'd be interested to hear how it goes if you try it out.

I've thought about trying various high raw/green sharpness setups but the numbers never seem to work out favourably compared to good white sharpness weapons. The much bigger damage multiplier (1.32 for white, 1.05 for green) means the green sharpness weapon needs roughly 25% higher raw than the white to do equivalent damage. Very few can make up for this gap and even if they do they'll have the added difficulty of more hitzones on monsters where attacks will bounce.

Rawk Hawk

I've thought about trying various high raw/green sharpness setups but the numbers never seem to work out favourably compared to good white sharpness weapons. The much bigger damage multiplier (1.32 for white, 1.05 for green) means the green sharpness weapon needs roughly 25% higher raw than the white to do equivalent damage. Very few can make up for this gap and even if they do they'll have the added difficulty of more hitzones on monsters where attacks will bounce.

Yea, I've been trying to figure this out myself. I've been running the Toka set, which is fun, but I'm ready to make my real end game set when I get to 60 (HR58 currently). I, like DrArchon, have been thinking a blunt set, probably without Mind's Eye since I'll likely use it most with Hunting Horn, but a blunt set none the less.

But as I use the Toka set, I'm kind of a fan of crits in this game, previous MH's I just focus on raw output, but I think I may end up making the Silver Los set first.

Tom_Cody

This is a topic that definitely has me a bit confused as Gaijin Hunter is a big proponent of blunt+green+ME. At the very least it's a cheap/easy way to get within a few percent of the offense of the top deviant weapons, but the math simply doesn't seem to work for them to exceed the ~200 white sharpness weapons. Specifically when you compare The Spiked Javelin with blunt and Mind's Eye to the ~200 white weapons with two of their own offensive skills.

The one thing that might tip the argument in his favor is if the enraged guard skill somehow favors pure raw in how the buff is calculated, but I haven't come close to verifying that.

I personally love my blunt set, but I don't consider it my endgame set. I'm using it to fight my way through the deviants and I'm concurrently chipping away at my Hayabusa Feather progress so I can build my ultimate crit set.

DrArchon

I don't know how easy it is to hit with the correct timing when using yellow sharpness (is there even a visual indicator?) but the penalty of 30% or 40% less damage for doing it wrong is huge. I'd be interested to hear how it goes if you try it out.

Yeah, that's always what I'm worried about, will it be worth it to make a full Blunt set or should I just rock a Tigrex/Hellblade weapon like everyone else that wants high raw? I'm going to do it because the Akantor gear and weapons look super cool and fashion hunter is important to me, but having Blunt just be basically AuM for 10 points if you're rocking green sharpness really isn't enough to make these kinds of weapons stand out against the crazy high raw + white weapons.

I still appreciate Capcom experimenting with new reason to use low sharpness weapons though, and maybe they'll really knock it out of the park in 5.

DrArchon

So I got around to doing the HR Gore quest to get the Frenzy art. Two questions.

1) Is the point of the Frenzy Art really to just give you an annoying way to get a little extra affinity? In 4U there were the awesome Chaotic Gore weapons that really got pumped when you overcame Frenzy, but there's nothing like that in this game. Is there any reason that anyone would ever want to use this art?

2) I got ANOTHER Nyctgem from a tail carve, meaning that I now have something like 5 Nyctgems. Are any of the Gore weapons worth using? They all seem worse than the Shagaru weapons to me, seeing as the Shagaru weapons have better sharpness and dragon damage, and even higher affinity to make up for the slightly lower raw.

Also, in regards to my new Blunt build, I think I'm just going to stick with the Kaiser Blade for the time being instead of farming for the Akantor CB. The green sharpness is so long on that thing that it basically means I never have to sharpen during hunts while keeping up high DPS. Even if I was able to get green on the Akantor CB, it'd be so short that I'd be sharpening all the damn time.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just finished the HR6 quest in solo, The Fated Hour, am I done with SP content then? Disappointing if so.

DrArchon

That feeling when you need only 1 more gem to complete a weapon and you end up getting 3 from a hunt.

There's nothing like it, is there?

tuffy

Which reminds me that I needed a single Heavy Armor Sphere, so I decided to try farming Village Kushala Daora since it goes really fast with the Elegant Parasol. First time I got no spheres, but did get a single Daora Gem. Second time I got no spheres but two Daora Gems. Third time I got no spheres but three Daora Gems. At that point I switched to Hyper Royal Ludroth and got that armor sphere on the first try.

The Desire Sensor works in mysterious ways.

deim0s

Which reminds me that I needed a single Heavy Armor Sphere, so I decided to try farming Village Kushala Daora since it goes really fast with the Elegant Parasol. First time I got no spheres, but did get a single Daora Gem. Second time I got no spheres but two Daora Gems. Third time I got no spheres but three Daora Gems. At that point I switched to Hyper Royal Ludroth and got that armor sphere on the first try.

The Desire Sensor works in mysterious ways.
You're hunting village Daora for heavy spheres?

DrArchon

After coming across a FastCharge +5 000 charm and doing some thinking, I realized that I can make a Blunt/Mind's Eye/Crit Draw/Focus set with just a tiny bit of work. So this has got me thinking that I can play around with Great Sword for funnsies. Probably Guild Style just because I loved the strong charge back in MH4U and I haven't put in the work to level up a lot of the GS arts.

Now the question is, which green sharpness GS should I build towards? Right now I'm trying to decide between the Skeletal Narkarkos GS and the Ukanlos GS.

Narkarkos Pros and Cons:
+10 points more raw
+Looks like a big dumb WoW weapon
+I already have the Soul Orb
-poor green sharpness length

Ukanlos Pros and Cons
+Better green sharpness
+Pancaking dudes with the sword feels good
+Less negative affinity
+Bonus defense
-I used this a lot in 4U already
-Would need to farm 2 gems

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Nark sword because farming gems is hell and I love the look of it, but the sharpness worries me.

Doopliss

After coming across a FastCharge +5 000 charm and doing some thinking, I realized that I can make a Blunt/Mind's Eye/Crit Draw/Focus set with just a tiny bit of work. So this has got me thinking that I can play around with Great Sword for funnsies. Probably Guild Style just because I loved the strong charge back in MH4U and I haven't put in the work to level up a lot of the GS arts.

Now the question is, which green sharpness GS should I build towards? Right now I'm trying to decide between the Skeletal Narkarkos GS and the Ukanlos GS.

Narkarkos Pros and Cons:
+10 points more raw
+Looks like a big dumb WoW weapon
+I already have the Soul Orb
-poor green sharpness length

Ukanlos Pros and Cons
+Better green sharpness
+Pancaking dudes with the sword feels good
+Less negative affinity
+Bonus defense
-I used this a lot in 4U already
-Would need to farm 2 gems

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Nark sword because farming gems is hell and I love the look of it, but the sharpness worries me.

Great Swords don't burn through sharpness quickly and the green on the Nakarkos sword isn't that short. If you took Absolute Readiness you might make it through hunts without ever needing a whetstone.

DrArchon

Great Swords don't burn through sharpness quickly and the green on the Nakarkos sword isn't that short. If you took Absolute Readiness you might make it through hunts without ever needing a whetstone.

That's what I'm thinking after playing around with my new set a little. I used the final version of the Halberd on a couple of hyper fights and I never had to sharpen, and that doesn't have too much more green than the final Skeletal GS.

And I'm certainly going to run with Absolute Readiness. That skill is borderline broken with how fast it charges. I can't decide if I should go Guild with Readiness and Lion's Maw, or Striker with the above + Ground Slash, but either way I'm not heading out without Readiness. I thought I would use the strong charge more, but really I'm just spamming draw attack lvl3 charges for the crit, so I don't think I'll lose too much by switching to Striker.

Just got the game and something is really annoying me so far: the bottom screen is way too bright in the dark.

It's really distracting.

Finally fighting hyper monsters in the Hub. I've been soloing high rank exclusively and it's been fun but pretty challenging.
I gotta say, Hyper Nargacuga is one of the funnest fights in the game.

Also, what's a guy gotta do to get a Rathian plate? I've been breaking the head, break the tail, capturing the LR one 10 times and the HR one 4 times and still haven't gotten one. I've been trying to upgrade my favorite long sword forever.

Also also, any tips for getting more money? I'm seriously running dry all the time. I've been doing the farm thing with Godbugs like in MH4U and it doesn't seem to be profiting as much.

DrArchon

Hate to keep asking questions, but how do you max out the damage on the Ground Slash? Should I be hitting with the actual slash or should I fall back more so that more of the wave hits? I just got Ground Slash III but I don't want to use it sub-optimally, especially when I could be using those openings for lvl3 draw-charges

tuffy

Also, what's a guy gotta do to get a Rathian plate? I've been breaking the head, break the tail, capturing the LR one 10 times and the HR one 4 times and still haven't gotten one. I've been trying to upgrade my favorite long sword forever.
Get luckier? If you had a VE Silver Ticket you could trade for a plate in the Marshlands, but you may not have one if you've been soloing everything. So you could try the 5* Hub "Dragon Lady" quest, chop off the tail as fast as possible for the 10% chance, and subquest out if you succeed.
Also also, any tips for getting more money? I'm seriously running dry all the time. I've been doing the farm thing with Godbugs like in MH4U and it doesn't seem to be profiting as much.
Coal mining is the way to go once you've gotten to the 6* quests at the Hub.

Get luckier? If you had a VE Silver Ticket you could trade for a plate in the Marshlands, but you may not have one if you've been soloing everything. So you could try the 5* Hub "Dragon Lady" quest, chop off the tail as fast as possible for the 10% chance, and subquest out if you succeed.
Coal mining is the way to go once you've gotten to the 6* quests at the Hub.
That's a great idea. Dragon Lady is the HR one I've been doing. That'll make it much quicker. Thankya!

Dreavus

Holy crap. Aerial style Switch Axe is a lot of fun. I was sticking to guild style for a while just out of old habit, but recently tried switching over.

Losing the forward thrust axe attack (direction + X) is a bit annoying but I can learn to deal with it. Losing the powered "stab" is fine too since it was a pretty situational attack to begin with. Slashing up and then down in sword mode is amazing and will never get old, lol.

Total newbie to monster hunter (never played any game) but got this yesterday. Working through the tutorial missions at the moment. A couple of things-

1. I beat my first big monster but the tutorial just told me to jump on it's back from an aerial attack but I couldn't find a big enough ledge to do it. I just killed him anyway but I wonder am I missing something basic here?

2. Any newbie tips for after the tutorial? It seems like there is almost too much content- I'm glad the tutorial is there because I'd be frozen otherwise. What should I do next?

DrArchon

Total newbie to monster hunter (never played any game) but got this yesterday. Working through the tutorial missions at the moment. A couple of things-

1. I beat my first big monster but the tutorial just told me to jump on it's back from an aerial attack but I couldn't find a big enough ledge to do it. I just killed him anyway but I wonder am I missing something basic here?

You can mount monsters by knocking them down with aerial attacks. It's just another way to knock a monster down and get some free damage done. If you can kill a monster easily without mounting then don't worry about it too much. A lot of the areas in the game don't have many ledges to jump off of, so mounting may not come into play too much.

There is Aerial Style in the game though, which lets you initiate mounting without a ledge, but if you're brand new to MH then I wouldn't worry about that. Just stick with Guild or Striker style for now.

2. Any newbie tips for after the tutorial? It seems like there is almost too much content- I'm glad the tutorial is there because I'd be frozen otherwise. What should I do next?

Have you done weapon tutorials? There are simple tutorial missions for each weapon and each style with each weapon, which are really helpful for learning moves and such.

Other than that, look up GaijinHunter on Youtube. He's got a series of weapon tutorial vidoes that go over every single move for every weapon on the game, as well as the super moves and the changes that each weapon gets for each style.

CTLance

Welcome to the world of the desire sensor.

About number one, if you have equipped aerial style (check in your house at the box if you're unsure) you can just roll into a cat, a bomb barrel, or a monster (including the big ones) to get launched into the air. Once you're airborne, you can still control your hunter somewhat so you can navigate to a good trajectory. Then, while in the air, attack a big monster just like usual. Check your weapons manual in the menu for peculiarities - e.g. pressing A for a double whammy with the hammer. Repeatedly hit a big monster with those aerial attacks to build up a counter, just like the stun or poison mechanic. Most of the time, it doesn't take long until you topple and automatically hop onto the monster. From there, it's the standard monster rodeo.

So, no need for a ledge. Just roll, hop, smash and ride.
Of course, this doesn't work in cat mode, just like the rest of the styles.

With regards to two, just pick any quest you fancy. I'd recommend giving preference to missions from villagers (talk to anyone with a speech bubble, then check your quest listing). This will unlock certain things and often give you "faction tickets", so to speak, which in turn can be used for crafting of weapons, armor and decorations.

After a bit of spelunking I found Azuros a good lowbie target since he's rather slow, predictable, and gives a pretty nice LR armor. Also, his damage output is pretty manageable. You can meet him in Misty peaks during many quests. Gather a bit of honey for a little insurance (he will drop you again if he grabs you). Weapon wise it really depends which kind you like. I liked the ones you can craft with Yukumo tickets.

Don't forget to upgrade your weapons and armor once you've found some good ones. Don't waste your resources on stuff you won't use.

You won't really be in need for consumables if you download all the goodies from the Download menu (main menu, or speak with the cat in the house) - don't forget to actually claim the stuff you've downloaded from the cat.

During your questing, check with the shop ever so often. They will randomly offer a 50% rebate on most items, which should allow you to grab a cheap supply of bug nets and pickaxes. Always keep some of them with you, in the beginning a bit of iron or Malachite can go a long way.

And yes, it may be a chore, but don't forget to use the Palico facilities. Keep the trader busy, send out hunters if you have some to spare, force the cats to train if they don't have anything else to do. Also, occasionally pet the Moofah for fleece balls. It's annoying if you need them and don't have them. Ten or so are enough I guess? You can also sell them or turn them into scraps if need be.

ajim

Playing Turns in this game is getting to be a pain. I used to love playing a bunch of missions for hours just doing turns and fighting whatever.

But people here seems to come here wait for their turn to do a mission no one else probably wants to help them with, we do it then they leave and I'm stuck waitin for the room to fill again after that lol.

Buggers.

Tom_Cody

I took pictures of my armor set for a reddit discussion so I thought I would post it here as well.

jM6H0O8.jpg

d3fm5sD.jpg

JTyi16k.jpg

1VzLpyW.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/SgmOD

My blunt set has served me well but I am currently working for the Hayabusa feather crit set, as well as upgrading my deviant lances to go with it.

Beats

Finally got my urgent to get into HR7. What's HR7 like for solo players? Is it filled with elder dragons or should I be OK?

Lots of multi monster/multi hyper monster quests, single hyper monster quests plus the few village request hypers that are a bit tougher. The elder dragons require unlocked HR.

If you're just doing keys though then it's mostly just some multi monster quests that shouldn't be too bad solo.

Tom_Cody

Finally got my urgent to get into HR7. What's HR7 like for solo players? Is it filled with elder dragons or should I be OK?
I would say it would definitely be more annoying to do solo than HR 1-6, but probably doable.

I'm curious, why do you just play solo? MH4U was my first MH and I played most of my first 125 hours offline, but then things really kicked into high gear once I started playing online with randoms. I am roughly equally split between solo and online multiplayer. There are definitely certain missions/goal which are better suited to multi. That's what the game is balanced around afterall.

That's not too bad. When do you unlock your HR rank? Is it once you get into HR 7 or is it after you do an urgent in HR 7?
Your HR unlocks after you beat High Rank Nakarkos at the end of HR7.

I would say it would definitely be more annoying to do solo than HR 1-6, but probably doable.

I'm curious, why do you just play solo? MH4U was my first MH and I played most of my first 125 hours offline, but then things really kicked into high gear once I started playing online with randoms. I am roughly equally split between solo and online multiplayer. There are definitely certain missions/goal which are better suited to multi. That's what the game is balanced around afterall.

Your HR unlocks after you beat High Rank Nakarkos at the end of HR7.

I played a lot of MH4U online and a little bit of the LR quests online in MHGen. I just got tired of all the waiting. I don't really feel like taking turns, and I felt like I had to wait 5-10 minutes between each run for people to get set up. Oh, and I really like to pause. A lot.
I never really had an issue with randoms playing poorly. I guess I just got lucky there.

I found that my solo times were only a tad longer than my online times, so with that and all I mentioned above, I just switched to solo. It lets me play on my own time.
I know, though, that I'm going to have to probably do some of those HR7+ quests online. Particularly the elder dragons.

ajim

Lots of multi monster/multi hyper monster quests, single hyper monster quests plus the few village request hypers that are a bit tougher. The elder dragons require unlocked HR.

If you're just doing keys though then it's mostly just some multi monster quests that shouldn't be too bad solo.
What hr do you need to unlock all monsters or whatever?

Is there a list?

DrArchon

What hr do you need to unlock all monsters or whatever?

Is there a list?

Check the Guild 7 star quest list on Kiranico. It has the HR requirements for all applicable quests.

To answer your first question, you unlock Alatreon last at HR80, with other unlocks happening at 70, 60, 45, and 35.

Took a break from MHGen but glad to jump back in. Trying to clear the last 4 village quests while building my LS collection.

Also, just trying to work up to HR 60... currently at 50 and itching to knock out some hyper quests.

NSESN

Brachy is the only monster that i prefer doing solo, i don't know why but i rarely am hit going solo while i am hit more often going multi.

I made some ghetto armor set today with Hermataur & Moofah gear to get Recoil +3 and Thunder Atk +1. Excited to go take my Khezu Syringe and beat everyone up with internal Pierce Thunder ammo. That stuff recoils like a mofo.

Top Bottom