• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

tuffy

MH lore is pretty metal I have to say. Like this guy:
could totally be a boss in a dark souls game. Kinda feeling like playing more MH but the Dark Souls 3 DLC just dropped so I'll play that until the new direct comes out. I bet it's gonna be Monster Hunter Stories related.
Why would they have a direct for a game that just came out a few weeks ago? Some sort of MHX:G coming up seems like a more obvious guess. Then Nintendo can have a NA direct to announce Stories and Generations Ultimate at the same time.

PtM

Banned
I remember when everyone renounced it being a MHXG, something about "there's not going to be an expansion (on 3DS, teehee)".

Now I've bought Gen. Incoming salt.

I remember when everyone renounced it being a MHXG, something about "there's not going to be an expansion (on 3DS, teehee)".

Now I've bought Gen. Incoming salt.

If I remember right, Capcom said they wouldn't go a G version for MHX, period. Unless Capcom changed their minds japan is likely getting a MH5 announcement. It would line up with their past history on releasing MH games and what they've announced at least.

DrArchon

So I decided instead of making a shitty looking mixed set for AuL and Razor Sharp, I'm just gonna farm Stonefist for its set and see how that goes.

I hadn't fought a single deviant before last night, but I have to ask: do they all have the same battle theme? I noticed that a new theme replaced the Deserted Island them when I fought Stonefist (which is a shame because I adore the D.Island theme). Is that just the deviant monster battle theme or something? I mean, half the fun of fighting something like Zinogre or Glavenus is their kickass theme songs, so replacing them seems like some kind of sacrilege.

Also, fuck Stonefist. I feel like I'm obligated to either using Aerial DBs or SA just because there's so many parts to bounce off of.

tuffy

All the deviants do share the same battle theme, which is unfortunate because I think it's a bit "meh" as far as battle themes go.

DrArchon

All the deviants do share the same battle theme, which is unfortunate because I think it's a bit "meh" as far as battle themes go.

I see. What a shame. Makes me less excited to eventually grind Hellblade for its weapons. I'm a big fan of the OST in this game for the most part, so having 10 monsters with the same battle theme regardless of where you fight them sucks.

How do you unlock the hyper monsters in village? Guide said completing two rank 6 quests would open some up but I did four and none unlocked.

tuffy

How do you unlock the hyper monsters in village? Guide said completing two rank 6 quests would open some up but I did four and none unlocked.
There aren't any hyper monsters on the Village side. You can unlock some high rank equivalent advanced quests in the 6* tier (including some elder dragons), but none of those are hyper. On the Hub side they start showing up in the 6* tier but you may need to work through some of the earlier quests.

R0ckman

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the intruder mechanic. I like the feeling of the hunt going to hell, but not with something so unrealistic like the monsters not really fighting each other at all and put all priority on the players and felyne helpers. It just doesn't make sense and especially when a carn and a herb are both on the map sometimes. It makes sense (technically) for them to not have them fight eachother because HP would rapidly drop but idk I just think the mechanic needs to be looked at maybe even worked into a deeper mechanic. But if its a cap hunt you risk losing that capture from traps or the target monster dying etc.

Worst of all I think dung bombs use to immediately reset monsters to just leave the area. They don't do that now as far as I know. Sometimes Deviljho still follows us after being bombed.

Anteo

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the intruder mechanic. I like the feeling of the hunt going to hell, but not with something so unrealistic like the monsters not really fighting each other at all and put all priority on the players and felyne helpers. It just doesn't make sense and especially when a carn and a herb are both on the map sometimes. It makes sense (technically) for them to not have them fight eachother because HP would rapidly drop but idk I just think the mechanic needs to be looked at maybe even worked into a deeper mechanic. But if its a cap hunt you risk losing that capture from traps or the target monster dying etc.

Worst of all I think dung bombs use to immediately reset monsters to just leave the area. They don't do that now as far as I know. Sometimes Deviljho still follows us after being bombed.

I dont remember if that was the case on 3U but.. dung bombs dont scare the monster inmediatly unless you have the biology skill.

Edit: reading online a bit it seems it was true for 3u too

Syril

I dont remember if that was the case on 3U but.. dung bombs dont scare the monster inmediatly unless you have the biology skill.

Edit: reading online a bit it seems it was true for 3u too
You can also get Felyne Dungmaster from meals.

upandaway

After doing my best to try and figure it out, the only conclusion I could arrive at was that fighting two monsters at the same time is not fun and doesn't involve nearly as much skill as it should to justify itself. There are very specific matchups that are an exception, I guess, but you know what I mean.

If it's in the field then I just treat it as one more aspect I can "spend" time on to make the fight better (like many other mechanics in MH that serve the same purpose). If it's in an arena and smoke bombs failed/aren't available then whatever, nuts to that.

I will admit it's somewhat more bearable with an LBG though

Shengar

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the intruder mechanic. I like the feeling of the hunt going to hell, but not with something so unrealistic like the monsters not really fighting each other at all and put all priority on the players and felyne helpers.

They make it like this because Capcom if they make more realistic on monsters behavior, it would be highly exploitable.

upandaway

Can't forget Brachydios + Rathalos in the arena in 3U, they didn't actually target each other but their attack range was so big that's how it turned out. Brachydios killed the rathalos every single time I tried the quest.

R0ckman

Lol omg Yuian Guaga or whatever that Kut Ku Rathian cross breed is... That thing is freaking bugged the hell out, they have got to update it.

Its not so much as it is too hard but some of this crap looks like program intern level unprofessional. Just ran up to it and used a jump GS slash on it from behind as it was turning to target me and its entire frame just resets to have its back turned to me again, I guess to work out its attack choice?

Syril

Lol omg Yuian Guaga or whatever that Kut Ku Rathian cross breed is... That thing is freaking bugged the hell out, they have got to update it.

Its not so much as it is too hard but some of this crap looks like program intern level unprofessional. Just ran up to it and used a jump GS slash on it from behind as it was turning to target me and its entire frame just resets to have its back turned to me again, I guess to work out its attack choice?
What did it do next? That kind of stuff can happen when there's severe connection issues, but it could also have been your attack triggering its rage mode. The tantrum that bird wyverns do when they become enraged tends to interrupt minor actions they're doing at the time.

R0ckman

What did it do next? That kind of stuff can happen when there's severe connection issues, but it could also have been your attack triggering its rage mode. The tantrum that bird wyverns do when they become enraged tends to interrupt minor actions they're doing at the time.

No it didn't rage, I beleive it decided to attack one of my cats. I was also playing offline. Only way I can get event quests done lol.

DrArchon

I'm confused regarding the item drop tables on kiranico.

I'm trying to get a pair of Decayed Crimson Horns for a Stonefist Helm, and on kiranico it says that when you complete the village 4 star Daimyo Hermitaur hunt-a-thon, there's a 100% chance of getting 2, a 50% chance of seeing 3, and another 50% of getting 5. But I've just beaten the quest three times and I haven't gotten a single one. When the table says "100%" I think that I'm guaranteed to get 2 horns every time I beat the quest, but apparently that's not the case. So in that case, what does that 100% really mean?

Also, I've been breaking the shells of Daimyo and Stonefist Hermitaurs for a while now and I haven't gotten any that way either. Do I have to break the shells twice or something?

PtM

Banned
I'm confused regarding the item drop tables on kiranico.

I'm trying to get a pair of Decayed Crimson Horns for a Stonefist Helm, and on kiranico it says that when you complete the village 4 star Daimyo Hermitaur hunt-a-thon, there's a 100% chance of getting 2, a 50% chance of seeing 3, and another 50% of getting 5. But I've just beaten the quest three times and I haven't gotten a single one. When the table says "100%" I think that I'm guaranteed to get 2 horns every time I beat the quest, but apparently that's not the case. So in that case, what does that 100% really mean?

Also, I've been breaking the shells of Daimyo and Stonefist Hermitaurs for a while now and I haven't gotten any that way either. Do I have to break the shells twice or something?
That horn is in reward section C, whatever that means. Maybe you need to do the quest on Elite or something? Is that the prowler section?
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/quest/village/4.20-hunt-a-thon-daimyo-hermitaur

Alright, I googled it, in order to get C rewards you need to exceed the minimal quest requirements.
Every 2 large monsters past the minimum adds a slot, every 10 items past the minimum adds a slot.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4y4yxo/main_reward_c_on_kiranico_and_mhgen_db/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/4xy1s4/how_does_the_quest_reward_system_work/

R0ckman

Is there any skill that gives super armor to things like the monsters dashing or walking forward through you? Kind of tired of parts or tips of the monster knocking me around just by walking.

tuffy

Is there any skill that gives super armor to things like the monsters dashing or walking forward through you? Kind of tired of parts or tips of the monster knocking me around just by walking.
Pretty sure the Castle Walls/Fortress Walls arts prevent you from being knocked around by monster attacks, but they take awhile to charge and don't last very long.

I guess you'll have to stay away from the monsters legs, or attack first.

Be happy you're not playing mh1, where the stomping would even stop your attacks with an sns.

andthebeatgoeson

I guess you'll have to stay away from the monsters legs, or attack first.

Be happy you're not playing mh1, where the stomping would even stop your attacks with an sns.

It might have been 3 but my charged attacks with GS used to always get stopped. Wind, small hits by small monsters. It's a pain when you are loading up a level 3 charged attack and a small rolling armadillo fucking knocks you over or a tail swipe by a jaggi stops the action.

R0ckman

Does anyone know what the heck is with monsters locking on to your position for a lot of their attacks? Is this new? In 3U lets say Qurupeco is doing his flint bash tell, he has to commit to what ever direction he is facing when he starts the move, if he was in Gen he would face the opposite direction I'm in, do his tell then do a 180 dime turn to attack me. My only option would be to waste time clearing completely out of the way.

Does anyone know what the heck is with monsters locking on to your position for a lot of their attacks? Is this new? In 3U lets say Qurupeco is doing his flint bash tell, he has to commit to what ever direction he is facing when he starts the move, if he was in Gen he would face the opposite direction I'm in, do his tell then do a 180 dime turn to attack me. My only option would be to waste time clearing completely out of the way.

Besides Rathalos's talons attack I'm pretty sure nothing is locked on. Maybe you're just not used to the new attacks.

R0ckman

Besides Rathalos's talons attack I'm pretty sure nothing is locked on. Maybe you're just not used to the new attacks.

R Ludroth roll does it slightly as well as Bulldrome charge up run, which it very obvious. Its easier to tell in solo. Especially if you aren't moving constantly and are just watching him. Bulldrone will dig into the dirt and will change the direction he is facing to charge at you directly when the charge animation begins.

When I mean lock on I just mean it just snaps them to face whatever position you are in when the attack starts.

The armor skill Hero's Shield does this. I don't know if it works on all monsters, but my friend likes using the skill as it can negate the damage a monster's feet does when it's walking/turning. It can be combined with Divine Protection/Defender (Hi) for more effectiveness.

R Ludroth roll does it slightly as well as Bulldrome charge up run, which it very obvious. Its easier to tell in solo. Especially if you aren't moving constantly and are just watching him. Bulldrone will dig into the dirt and will change the direction he is facing to charge at you directly when the charge animation begins.

When I mean lock on I just mean it just snaps them to face whatever position you are in when the attack starts.

It's actually pretty common in actions games like the DMC series, Bayonetta, GoW, Souls, etc. It's game design into trying to force a player to dodge/block/parry/counter early so they are caught during the end of their animation while they are unsafe.

I think ludroth did that too in MH3U, Bulldrome has a new moveset because he's a joke otherwise. But soft lock on aren't new in MH, Teostra soft lock on when charging in 4 for example.

KdylanR92

400 hours in and i'm finally at the point where i've hunted all the monsters and have the armor and weapons I want.

Now I can kick back and open turn rooms when I play(i'll try to post on gaf when i do).

CPCunha

Getting back to this now that i finished Phoenix Wright... i want to try something different (for me at least). Need an awesome bludgeoning set for horn, i'm going to be supporting some friends in local hunts!

Dreavus

I'm guessing to get the other 2 flagship monsters in village I need to keep doing these "request" missions, right? I've got checkmarks for both 4 and 5 star but I've only fought the bubble guy and the mammoth so far.

I just hate carrying eggs that's all :(

Syril

I'm guessing to get the other 2 flagship monsters in village I need to keep doing these "request" missions, right? I've got checkmarks for both 4 and 5 star but I've only fought the bubble guy and the mammoth so far.

I just hate carrying eggs that's all :(

You don't need to do any transport quests, but Astalos should have been available from the beginning. You need to talk the the chief of Kokoto to get it, like you needed to get Mizutsune and Gammoth from Yukumo and Pokke.

Prototype

So been playing this for a while the last week or so and just about done with all offline stuff... I don't like the new weapon upgrade system. Why change what wasn't broken? Level up weapon to unlock another one, make it, and have to remake and level up the base weapon all over again...
I've just been making weapons from scratch when I can as I'm sick of remaking and leveling up weapons over and over.

Wonder what the system will be like in XX and in 5...

Doopliss

So been playing this for a while the last week or so and just about done with all offline stuff... I don't like the new weapon upgrade system. Why change what wasn't broken? Level up weapon to unlock another one, make it, and have to remake and level up the base weapon all over again...
I've just been making weapons from scratch when I can as I'm sick of remaking and leveling up weapons over and over.

Wonder what the system will be like in XX and in 5...
I found the weapon upgrade system to be hugely improved in Gen. Through wider choice by having basically every weapon upgradeable to end-game level, less requirement on specific parts for upgrades and more finely-grained upgrade steps it was much easier to keep weapons at an appropriate level while I advanced through the game.

Branching weapon upgrade paths have existed since at least Tri so I'm not sure I follow your complaint.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone want to start up a night for completionists? I had to ignore the game this summer but have finally gotten up to village five (clearing all those quests are no joke in village, took me 40 hours) and I've done...basically nothing in online.

Anyone want to start up a night for completionists? I had to ignore the game this summer but have finally gotten up to village five (clearing all those quests are no joke in village, took me 40 hours) and I've done...basically nothing in online.

You know, I'd actually be up for something like that. I've kind of ignored online while working on village stuff (half way through 3* I guess). I'd like to hit up all of the online quests too, but no one ever wants to do the "boring" stuff. Can't blame them though.

Top Bottom