• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

CTLance

One of these days...

Yesterday, my cats rebelled.

Hunter falls asleep between the legs of a big monster, hoping for some trampling damage? Better kick the fucker in front of the big nearly-one-hit-kill-attack. Just trying to be helpful, nya. Monster enrages when hit with sonic effect? Toot that horn every five seconds after clearing out all the small monsters except one. Hunter half dead, poisoned or blighted? Why help, it's far more important to chase around Kelbis. Monster Mines only at the very edges of the map, or placed right next to the Hunter and the mon*BOOM*loading next area... Also, do you expect a drawn out attack from the enraged monster? Better fire a flash Bombay *behind* it so the Hunter can't see shit. The monster is limping and Hunter is currently putting down a trap? Time to taunt and go ham on the beastie ... and kill it. Ah, also slacking right next to a pinned Hunter, a classic. Then, get up and panic, just in time to catch a monster tail spin and run away. Like, what am I even paying you for, you ungrateful cunt. Dung Bombay is a zero-cost skill and you have it equipped just for a case like this, dammit.

I sure as fuck wasn't at my best yesterday, but damn if those two little shits didn't have it out for me. Bastards.

Anyway.
Any in depth Palico tips? Like, has someone crunched the numbers which kind of training regimen is the most effective at the ranch, or how to min max the Trader, or dug out the skill damage and concrete modifier/cool down numbers (Ideally not in a raw table, but annotated so that even an idiot like me can get a clue)? I'm kinda tiring out of hunting after the vanilla boomerang fighting/trapping cats (have gotten "close enough") and would like to try out some fun NPC cats. All I know so far is to stay the fuck away from equipping them with the bomb roll skill, because that never ends well.

pronk420

This is a really stupid monster hunter question that I really should know - do the monsters in low rank hub (HR1-3) have more health than those in village?

I thought not, but I just did Astalos HR3 and it seemed to take a lot longer than in the village quest. Possibly it is just because I wasn't really paying that much attention though...

DrArchon

This is a really stupid monster hunter question that I really should know - do the monsters in low rank hub (HR1-3) have more health than those in village?

I thought not, but I just did Astalos HR3 and it seemed to take a lot longer than in the village quest. Possibly it is just because I wasn't really paying that much attention though...

Yes, hub monsters have more health than village ones, so as to balance out the fact that you can fight them with more people.

I just checked and village Astalos has about 1000 hp less than Guild 3 Astalos.

upandaway

Starting to feel a burn out a lot earlier than previous MH games. Just hit high rank and didn't really want to see 5 pages of dromes and beginner monsters (in... more beginner maps) again. The one monster I never fought before (Nakarkos) ended up being sorta lame.

I've been sniping key quests for most of HR2-3 too, doesn't feel like that's ever gonna change

HeeHo

Starting to feel a burn out a lot earlier than previous MH games. Just hit high rank and didn't really want to see 5 pages of dromes and beginner monsters (in... more beginner maps) again. The one monster I never fought before (Nakarkos) ended up being sorta lame.

I've been sniping key quests for most of HR2-3 too, doesn't feel like that's ever gonna change

It does feel like that but maybe you should cherish those moments? My advanced quests in my single player are all multi-high rank monsters back to back. They aren't just Gendromes and Lagombis either.

I think most players feel that way about this game when they are getting started with it. Feels pretty slow, but it does change in the higher ranks. Ever since hitting 5 or 6, there are a lot less smaller monsters to hunt.

pronk420

Yes, hub monsters have more health than village ones, so as to balance out the fact that you can fight them with more people.

I just checked and village Astalos has about 1000 hp less than Guild 3 Astalos.

Thanks, I always wondered about that but I never tried any of the harder monsters solo in the hub.

HeeHo

Thanks, I always wondered about that but I never tried any of the harder monsters solo in the hub.

My first Monster Hunter game ever was Monster Hunter 2-something on the PSP. I wasn't really aware there was 2 different people to talk to for quests, one for single player and one for multi. I kept choosing the multiplayer quests and was thinking to myself 'goddamn this game is hard'. I ended up fighting a monkey thing and he would keep kicking my ass and giving me the stench status ailment.

I only found ever found out once I played MH3U on Wii U. lol. I didn't give the game much of a chance because I thought it was too in depth for me to understand cause obviously I wasn't doing something right.

DrArchon

HR gets a lot better once you get your HR up higher. They bring back a lot of the better monsters from 4, like Kecha, Zamtrios, and Seltas Queen, plus the maps from 4 (which are FAR better than any of the maps from 1 and 2). Then you get Hyper Monsters later on, which are a ton of fun and really breath life into early game monsters like Ludroth and Yian Kut-Ku if you decide to solo them.

Also, Nakarkos is way better once you fight it again in HR. It has a much bigger moveset and way more phases to the fight.

Infinite

Felt the same way until HR6 but the start of HR has alway been that way. You literally fight the high rank versions of monsters you fought at the start of low rank.

andthebeatgoeson

Why do they have it so you HAVE to issue the urgent quest for the credit?
I'm not getting credit for some hr 6 or 7 quests.

I'm losing interest. That silver rath event quest is hard af.

Gotta wait until hr 60 to upgrade my armor. Can't even search for ukanlos quests. Too much is hidden. I'm at 100 hr still unlocking shit. Dis too much capcom.

CTLance

Felt the same way until HR6 but the start of HR has alway been that way. You literally fight the high rank versions of monsters you fought at the start of low rank.
Which is kinda why I wish armour would work the same as weapons with regards to the LR/HR split.
Restarting armour crafting upon the rank up is stupid and demotivates the player. I'd much rather start off with LR armour and then upgrade it piecemeal to the HR version (after grinding it up to counter stop) instead of having a bunch of completely useless LR armour clutter in my box after that rank up urgent mission. As it is right now, crafting LR armour is a waste of time. And that's saddening.

Plus imagine the MHGen style branching level ups for different skills, colours, slots or meshes (or *gasp* hunting styles/arts). It could be glorious. Maybe even some switcherino between blademaster and gunner armour, to force people to experiment with their setups.
And probably kill online due to the resulting noob explosion.

/random rant: But what we really need is an armour set explorer/crafter. Like, just let me craft the entire armour set in one go and store it in the box as one cohesive unit of five pieces or whatever.

DrArchon

In the process of fighting Amatsu to max out my Toka armor pieces, I became the proud owner of two Heavenly Dragongems.

So what I'm wondering is; are any of the Amatsu weapons even decent? Their sharpness is crap outside of blunt builds, but there's almost always another blunt option that has comparable green length, raw power, and no negative affinity. The extra water damage isn't enough to really care about either. But, all of the weapons look so freakin' cool! I really wish they had either really focused on making them top-tier blunt weapons (meaning get rid of the negative affinity) or they had made them more balanced water weapons (up the water damage and give them non-gimmicky sharpness).

-------

On a side note, seeing as I've put over 150 hours into this game, I recently decided to put on my big boy pants and actually try out Adapt style. Adapt LS to be specific. Very fun combination. Being able to level up my spirit gauge right after encountering a monster (hit once or twice, dodge roar, level up) feels really good. The range on the level up slash is less than I would've liked, and I'm often left out in the open because I thought I could level up but I was just out of range. It's also great to just toss out spirit slashes in my combos and not have to worry about not having enough gauge to level up.

R0ckman

How has this game sold? Multiplayer hub seem completely dead, like everyone rushed to 7 at release. MH4 Ultimate was MUCH better than this playing online could easily find people for everything no matter what I was doing. Is that game still active? I'm tempted to just move back to that game and run my femae character.

Not a big deal if I wanted to rush to end game as I'm not having much trouble soloing but its very boring compared to the fun I had in 4 and draining if I want to grind for monster parts that aren't very popular. This is a terrible community experience (outside of GAFFing obviously) compared to that.

jercruz

Cant seem to find completist hunters. Everyone wants keyquests. In the end I mostly solo'd everything else. Cleared all upto 6*. Starting 7*.

tuffy

My completionist tendencies have driven me to finish a big chunk of the Hub quests solo for those sweet check marks. GAF turns rooms are rare enough that I don't want to waste them posting a bug hunt, Wycadamy points run or mushroom gathering quest. I've been doing those myself to save up the five monster chain hunts for the next time I get online.

Though the lack of a deeper endgame has encouraged me to try out new styles and weapons to keep things interesting. My Adepting has gotten a lot more consistent and I feel like my bow skills are definitely improving.

I have no issues finding rooms. But I agree that it's not as busy as it was during 4U. But that had the benefit of a new system launch and maybe a heavier advertisement. all I know is that I was the number one selling game in the us during launch afair.

Anyway. I'm pretty close to my perfect HH set: I own all of the 3 best HH's: Teo, Relic Horn and Akantor. I have full DK. All that's left is a good blunt charm for the Akantor Horn. I have two: +5 and 3 Slots and one +6 and 2 Slots which both give me +9 blunt...
Should I keep farming for a +6 3 slots one or should I switch to the Akantor armor?
Fellow HH users help me to decide.

Edit: When you search HR8+ you actually find more rooms completing quests. Below is just keys usually which is no different from 4U.

taybul

Hitting high rank (and G in other games) has always felt refreshing to me. I didn't mind getting my ass kicked by an HR Great Jaggi/Maccao because it's the game basically welcoming you to the next level, reminding you it's time to take off your training wheels. Of course what I never liked about it is now that means the low rank armor you spent hours farming for now mean nothing and you can get better HR armor killing bugs and picking flowers.

DrArchon

I was working on completing at least all of the LR quests solo until I got to the "Kill 50 Bnahabra/Vespoid" quests. Yeah, fuck that. Even with a decent pellet bowgun that'd still take far too long for me to bother with, and then I'd still have to eventually do the HR one, because someone at Capcom thought it'd be cool to have three of these things.

deim0s

How has this game sold? Multiplayer hub seem completely dead, like everyone rushed to 7 at release. MH4 Ultimate was MUCH better than this playing online could easily find people for everything no matter what I was doing. Is that game still active? I'm tempted to just move back to that game and run my femae character.

Not a big deal if I wanted to rush to end game as I'm not having much trouble soloing but its very boring compared to the fun I had in 4 and draining if I want to grind for monster parts that aren't very popular. This is a terrible community experience (outside of GAFFing obviously) compared to that.

The game is still healthy (with randoms), lots of things to do... I myself haven't even touched the other deviants like Hermitaur, Zinogre, Garuga, and the like.

I'm thinking of developing my alt for lewd armors and focusing on Bow/IG.

tuffy

I was working on completing at least all of the LR quests solo until I got to the "Kill 50 Bnahabra/Vespoid" quests. Yeah, fuck that. Even with a decent pellet bowgun that'd still take far too long for me to bother with, and then I'd still have to eventually do the HR one, because someone at Capcom thought it'd be cool to have three of these things.
With a pellet LBG and a Pellet Up/Shot Booster set mixed together from a bunch of 3 slot armor pieces, I remember those "kill 50 Vespoid" quests took me about 20-30 minutes to complete by myself. I had the TV on in the background to break up the monotony. They're exactly the sort of quests I'd feel bad about posting in multiplayer.

taybul

haha yeah I remember this one. Fortunately (and they must've known how ridiculous this quest is) the bugs would respawn many times in one area pretty quickly, maybe up to 15 in one area. Since I was also looking for parts I used a palico with a poison weapon, hit them a few times until they were poisoned and ran around till they fell.

DrArchon

Or use poison smoke bombs. By far the fastest way.

I can never kill more than one bug with any given poison smoke bomb. Is there some trick to them that I don't know about? I can't imagine trying to carry around enough bombs and mats to kill 50 flying bugs, so if and when I do these I'll just stick with a pellet gun.

The thing that gets me is that you have to kill 50 of them each time. All of the other hub fodder monster quests have you kill 20 or so, sometimes even just 10, so I have no idea why they more than doubled the amount of kills required for the monsters that are much harder to fight with non-bowgun weapons. Just seems like an unnecessary "fuck you" towards any achievement hunters out there.

taybul

I can never kill more than one bug with any given poison smoke bomb. Is there some trick to them that I don't know about? I can't imagine trying to carry around enough bombs and mats to kill 50 flying bugs, so if and when I do these I'll just stick with a pellet gun.

The thing that gets me is that you have to kill 50 of them each time. All of the other hub fodder monster quests have you kill 20 or so, sometimes even just 10, so I have no idea why they more than doubled the amount of kills required for the monsters that are much harder to fight with non-bowgun weapons. Just seems like an unnecessary "fuck you" towards any achievement hunters out there.

If you're just trying to kill them stick with ranged. Smoke bombing them is really only so you can carve them.

DrArchon

If you're just trying to kill them stick with ranged. Smoke bombing them is really only so you can carve them.

OK, that's what I figured, I just wanted to be sure. I've used smoke bombs for some Altaroth parts I've needed for various IGs, but I still never managed to kill more than 1-2 per bomb.

CTLance

Only if you need Monster Fluids/Broth.
A boomerang thieving cat duo with poison weapons and "small first" is ten times more comfortable. By the time you've carved the first bug, the next one is already served up. Well, not quite, but it makes things so much easier in those terrible kill quests.

Plus, they're always nice to have. They grab some damn nice loot occasionally.

R0ckman

The game is still healthy (with randoms), lots of things to do... I myself haven't even touched the other deviants like Hermitaur, Zinogre, Garuga, and the like.

I'm thinking of developing my alt for lewd armors and focusing on Bow/IG.

Really? I struggled to get into a random Nargacuga HR today. Maybe I'm searching wrong.

Its not a big deal as the game is easier than 4U so soloing things isnt too bad but it gets boring.

R0ckman

Something I wish they would do more in Monster Hunter is give more life to the monsters overall. A lot of the times the monsters feel very robotic. Like for say a Monster does a big attack that completely misses you or a leap that would normally disorient anything especially if its a larger creature, having it take about a second to look around confused instead of following up with an immediate move with slight homing would help with immersion. I like monsters like the Lavafish that have random animal manerisms because it feels more like a battle with an beast rather than a raw AI program that shuffles through attacks.

DrArchon

No monster attack feels more robotic to me than the classic Rathalos "fly up high and divebomb some poor fuck" attack. It looks incredibly awkward when he just zooms towards a random hunter from across the screen, and it looks even worse when he flies backwards to return to his position. Newsflash Capcom: flying doesn't work like that. Compare that to a slightly similar attack with Seregios doing it's sweeping talon strikes. Seregios has momentum and it looks realistic. He's not just turning around on a dime mid-flight either.

Just another reason that the old Rathalos moveset should be mostly scrapped and redone.

taybul

Something I wish they would do more in Monster Hunter is give more life to the monsters overall. A lot of the times the monsters feel very robotic. Like for say a Monster does a big attack that completely misses you or a leap that would normally disorient anything especially if its a larger creature, having it take about a second to look around confused instead of following up with an immediate move with slight homing would help with immersion. I like monsters like the Lavafish that have random animal manerisms because it feels more like a battle with an beast rather than a raw AI program that shuffles through attacks.

The monsters need moves like when Narga's pounce or Zamtrios's charge, where they kind of aim right at you and wait for some time before the attack, almost taunting you. Fake-outs would totally bring more life to these monsters.

Question about deviants: I'm looking at Grimclaw on kiranico and ranks 1 and 3 look completely identical (rank 2 is a capture quest). What's the difference here?

Mupod

No monster attack feels more robotic to me than the classic Rathalos "fly up high and divebomb some poor fuck" attack. It looks incredibly awkward when he just zooms towards a random hunter from across the screen, and it looks even worse when he flies backwards to return to his position. Newsflash Capcom: flying doesn't work like that. Compare that to a slightly similar attack with Seregios doing it's sweeping talon strikes. Seregios has momentum and it looks realistic. He's not just turning around on a dime mid-flight either.

Just another reason that the old Rathalos moveset should be mostly scrapped and redone.

I mean...it was. In Tri. 2nd gen Rathalos and Rathian were so predictable you had to be asleep to be hit by them, you could even predict a fireball or charge by how fast they turned.

At this point I'd guess that the remnants of their old movesets are just there due to being 'iconic'. I'm glad the Rathalos World Tour is gone at least.

I'm wondering if we'll see another Tri-like animation/movement quality leap with the next game (again assuming it's on the Switch or other current gen consoles). Or if 4th gen standards are 'good enough'.

ajim

I agree. Some feel and look great and seem to move naturally which i love.

But some love Glavenus are over the top and nothing would move like that at its size and build. I enjoy fighting it. But it just looks ridiculous. Especially hellblade Glavenus.

Tom_Cody

You're not wrong, but for exactly those reasons it is iconic in my eyes.

DrArchon

I'm glad the Rathalos World Tour is gone at least.

That attack was awful. I cant' stand any monster attack that's not hard to dodge and just wastes time by making the monster invincible for an extended period of time. Agnaktor does the same kind of thing with repeated dives through the floor/ceiling and it's just so boring.

Syril

That attack was awful. I cant' stand any monster attack that's not hard to dodge and just wastes time by making the monster invincible for an extended period of time. Agnaktor does the same kind of thing with repeated dives through the floor/ceiling and it's just so boring.
That was one of the things that 4 did really well. I can't think of any monster attacks in it where you had to wait 10+ seconds for the monster to be open. I'm not really looking forward to fighting Uragaans and Agnaktors again in Generations because of that.

R0ckman

I'm playing 3U again as well since 4U is when everything really clicked and noticing that a lot of monsters dont have hidden lock on BS where I can dodge to the side at the last minute and the monster does not slightly turn with me, it just completely misses. Did they recently slip this into the games for some monsters?

I was fighting the Hyper Ludroth and his quick side bash was hitting me when I was attacking his head because if I just slightly move out of the way his body will twist with me and the head will damage me even though its a side attack.

Bulldrome also does this crap where when it digs it foot in the ground when it finishes it just turns to your direction and immediately charges despite it finishing the tell at a different direction from you.

I mean the monsters are not nightmares to deal with but seeing these things just feel cheap.

Shengar

You must be talking about the pre-Tri monsters. They are like that because Capcom haven't put that much thought and effort when designing monsters animation. That's some monster looks robotic while the other did not.
I agree. Some feel and look great and seem to move naturally which i love.

But some love Glavenus are over the top and nothing would move like that at its size and build. I enjoy fighting it. But it just looks ridiculous. Especially hellblade Glavenus.

Glavenus is the embodiment of MH's rule of cool in the form of monsters. It's so ridiculous but I can shrugged it off becaue it looks cool.
I'm wondering if we'll see another Tri-like animation/movement quality leap with the next game (again assuming it's on the Switch or other current gen consoles). Or if 4th gen standards are 'good enough'.

Probably not, because of they already steadily improve the animation quality since Tri instead of making huge leap forward (which I believe costed much of the time and money during MH Tri development). Take the Elite Four for example. Gammoth is completely new, while the other three used a heavily modified version of their monster type that almost makes them look like new.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
What is there to read up on?
Nothing really, hence why I referenced its like Dark Souls. However, there has been some Reddit posts that answer some questions that doesn't really get questioned because it just justifies some video game logic and most of the lore is found in the official art books. Things such as the Giant sword that is found in ice, elder dragons being classified as elder dragons, why there is an ancient dragonator in the underwater ruins, etc. I kinda feel like making a thread about this.

Syril

Nothing really, hence why I referenced its like Dark Souls. However, there has been some Reddit posts that answer some questions that doesn't really get questioned because it just justifies some video game logic and most of the lore is found in the official art books. Things such as the Giant sword that is found in ice, elder dragons being classified as elder dragons, why there is an ancient dragonator in the underwater ruins, etc. I kinda feel like making a thread about this.
Most of it is about the ancient civilization that was destoyed by the dragons in the past, referenced in the ruins that litter some of the maps as well as some of the weapons and armor. They overhunted and exploited the ancient dragons (which explains why the rusted/ancient weapons all have high dragon element) for things like building materials and bioweapons to the point that the dragons eventually fought back and started a war that almost drove them extinct and wiped out the civilization.

In Freedom Unite you could find a note that explained that "elder dragon" was the label used for monsters that didn't fit into any existing classification.

DrArchon

After using a Hayabusa/Toka mix for a while, I'm starting to feel like it's not the best set for my newfound love of Adapt LS. I've read up a bit on LS and from what I can tell, elemental LS isn't the way to go to maximize utility, because so much of the LS mechanics are just based around percentage boosts for raw damage. With that in mind, I'm going to try and make a new set for more general LS use.

Right now I've brainstormed a set with AuL/Razor Sharp/Crit Eye+2, and I plan to use a Tigrex LS for max raw with white sharpness. Are there any better skills I should be looking at instead? I'm not too confident in using a Weakness Exploit/Crit Boost set, because more often then not that means competing with a Hammer/HH/GS user for space when attacking the head. Besides, I already have a WE/CB set for more precise weapons, like Lance. Do the percentage buffs for LS that come from a flashing spirit gauge and leveling the gauge up work well with AuL, or do those buffs ignore the flat attack bonus? Would a Crit Eye +3/Razor Sharp/Crit Boost set be better (though I'd probably use the Narga LS in that case)?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Most of it is about the ancient civilization that was destoyed by the dragons in the past, referenced in the ruins that litter some of the maps as well as some of the weapons and armor. They overhunted and exploited the ancient dragons (which explains why the rusted/ancient weapons all have high dragon element) for things like building materials and bioweapons to the point that the dragons eventually fought back and started a war that almost drove them extinct and wiped out the civilization.

In Freedom Unite you could find a note that explained that "elder dragon" was the label used for monsters that didn't fit into any existing classification.
MH lore is pretty metal I have to say. Like this guy:
zuQOmzV.jpg
could totally be a boss in a dark souls game. Kinda feeling like playing more MH but the Dark Souls 3 DLC just dropped so I'll play that until the new direct comes out. I bet it's gonna be Monster Hunter Stories related.

Top Bottom