• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Generations |OT| Generation X

Grudy

Trying to make myself just focus on key and hunting quests to get buy the villages quickly but I just can't >.> 9 hours so far and I'm still doing 2 star quests lol

DrArchon

Well, at least we're finally getting Hyper SLos. Still no sign of Hyper GIan or Hyper Jho, but whatever. I only really care about the Silver Sol R armor anyway.

Lodestar armor looks pretty useful too. Having Crit Up +3 and two slots on the waist is nice. Potentially more Crit Up than the Silver Sol R waist. Frenzy Res is kind weird though. I don't even know why that's in the game when a total of two monsters cause frenzy.

I can't believe I farmed H Ludroth as much as I did and now Capcom's just giving out Heavy Armor Spheres like they're nothing.

tuffy

Frenzy Res is kind weird though. I don't even know why that's in the game when a total of two monsters cause frenzy.
There's the Frenzy Fever art to give it to yourself anytime, and the Antivirus skill boosts affinity even more once it's cured. So it's not quite as pointless as it might seem.

DrArchon

There's the Frenzy Fever art to give it to yourself anytime, and the Antivirus skill boosts affinity even more once it's cured. So it's not quite as pointless as it might seem.

I never see anyone use it, so that completely slipped my mind. A nice 30% affinity boost from a hunter art would be useful for some builds.

I still wish that the Chaotic Gore weapons were brought back. Those things made Frenzy really matter.

Grudy

Welp, this is the first time I find out the kinsects are tied to the IGs. I just forged a new IG and I'm back to the base kinsect with about 3 speed Jellies after spending a couple of hours farming for the balanced kinsect before. Fuck this shit.

DrArchon

Welp, this is the first time I find out the kinsects are tied to the IGs. I just forged a new IG and I'm back to the base kinsect with about 3 speed Jellies after spending a couple of hours farming for the balanced kinsect before. Fuck this shit.

Don't bother upgrading kinsects until you unlock the ability to trade for kinsect juice. Once you get that you never have to farm for jelly ever again and you can upgrade all your IGs, but until then it's such a pain in the ass farming.

Grudy

Don't bother upgrading kinsects until you unlock the ability to trade for kinsect juice. Once you get that you never have to farm for jelly ever again and you can upgrade all your IGs, but until then it's such a pain in the ass farming.

I just did about an hour ago actually, but the trader is still really slow. Currently if I put a trade for 10 speed nectars, I only get 1 per quest. Am I doing it wrong?

DrArchon

I just did about an hour ago actually, but the trader is still really slow. Currently if I put a trade for 10 speed nectars, I only get 1 per quest. Am I doing it wrong?

Add in a Lagniapple (you get these from Prowler quests) and use a Palico with high enthusiasm for better results. I usually get ~3-4 per quest for a total of 30-40, plus some Larval Extracts that you get as bonus.

andthebeatgoeson

Charm farming with that coal quest: if i do it online with 3 other people, do i still have to turn them in one at a time?

Some guy name Holesniffr said i needed to but i don't trust anyone with that name. Who sniffs it anyway?

tuffy

Charm farming with that coal quest: if i do it online with 3 other people, do i still have to turn them in one at a time?

Some guy name Holesniffr said i needed to but i don't trust anyone with that name. Who sniffs it anyway?
I believe you do, since turning them in one at a time is part of the quest bug that always makes it give out maximum rewards.

Doombear

This time... this time, Holesniffr was right about things.

DrArchon

Decided to fuck around with Switch Axe for once because I have nothing better to do.

Jesus Christ, they really just got rid of any reason to ever use axe mode, didn't' they? I fought a Shogun Ceanataur, a Lavasioth, and an Agnaktor for about 20+ minutes and I both never ran out of sword gauge and never ran out of the Demon Riot mode just because Energy Charge charges so freakin' fast. If Hunter Arts come back they're going to have to do something about that, because axe mode is already very underused just because power phials are so busted.

But until that happens, I'll be happy to goof off with a 240 power bone axe with bludgeoning, AuL and Crit Eye +2, plus both hunter art boosts.

Soul Lab

Hi guys. I wanna do the desert brawler quest to unlock the coal quest. any help would be much appreciated. it's hr 5. nibelsnarf, rathian and daimyo hermitaur

PokéKong

Decided to fuck around with Switch Axe for once because I have nothing better to do.

Jesus Christ, they really just got rid of any reason to ever use axe mode, didn't' they? I fought a Shogun Ceanataur, a Lavasioth, and an Agnaktor for about 20+ minutes and I both never ran out of sword gauge and never ran out of the Demon Riot mode just because Energy Charge charges so freakin' fast. If Hunter Arts come back they're going to have to do something about that, because axe mode is already very underused just because power phials are so busted.

But until that happens, I'll be happy to goof off with a 240 power bone axe with bludgeoning, AuL and Crit Eye +2, plus both hunter art boosts.

I've been thinking this for a while. I might catch some heat for this, but I think in the next main game they should overhaul how the SA works to basically be more like the Charge Blade. The meter should not just fill up over time, you should have to fill it manually using the axe mode, and maybe give a bonus for certain attacks like the infinite stamina-draining chop combo.

To me the Charge Blade felt like a totally successful execution of the concept they were trying to achieve with the Switch Axe to begin with. They wanted an interesting transforming weapon, but for that to work you need to give both modes a specific purpose that feeds into the other.

Syril

Even back in Tri you never had to use the axe mode if you didn't want to because reloading was too good. Even if you completely emptied the fuel gauge reloading once refilled it back to half to enable sword mode again. The actual reloading happens near the beginning of the animation so it's not even wasted if you get hit.

DrArchon

Even back in Tri you never had to use the axe mode if you didn't want to because reloading was too good. Even if you completely emptied the fuel gauge reloading once refilled it back to half to enable sword mode again. The actual reloading happens near the beginning of the animation so it's not even wasted if you get hit.

The reload was still slow enough that you had to disengage from combat in order to do it safely, and only reloading half of the bar meant you had to it quite often. You're right that you could totally play with just the sword mode (that's what I did most of the time), but there was still that upkeep cost.

Now though? Energy Charge just completely replaces the normal reload because it charges so fast, meaning you're constantly getting back to full. Plus the animation is a lot faster and it goes right back into an attack so you can combo off of it. Combine that with Demon Riot and you're recharging less often, it takes less time per recharge, you're getting bigger boosts to your attacks, and you can even spam the discharge all you want because it no longer impacts your meter. It's nuts.

CTLance

Ah thats right. Kinda blows but its still seems faster for doing gathering quests
Yep. Unless you intend to grind very specific things, cats are the go to gathering pros.

And even then it might be more worthwhile to eat for extra gathering, skill in the no acorn debuff, strip your cat of any armor and just suicide back to camp twice per attempt. Ghetto farcasting.

Producer

Yep. Unless you intend to grind very specific things, cats are the go to gathering pros.

And even then it might be more worthwhile to eat for extra gathering, skill in the no acorn debuff, strip your cat of any armor and just suicide back to camp twice per attempt. Ghetto farcasting.

Haha that actually doesnt sound too bad. Might try it.

R0ckman

Trying to solo Narkakos for HR3 and something seems off? According to guides he's suppose to topple when you dammage the tentaclea but nothing seems to happen except the tentacles going into element mode (fire and bomb goo mode)? I'm not getting any topples.

I''m kind of tired of these 4 man gimmick battles where the battle is more complex. The hubs are completely empty when I search anything.

tuffy

Trying to solo Narkakos for HR3 and something seems off? According to guides he's suppose to topple when you dammage the tentaclea but nothing seems to happen except the tentacles going into element mode (fire and bomb goo mode)? I'm not getting any topples.

I''m kind of tired of these 4 man gimmick battles where the battle is more complex. The hubs are completely empty when I search anything.
Once both of the skeletal heads are destroyed, the main body should topple out of the ground for a little while which provides easy access to its weak spot on its back. But the heads will regenerate soon after and you'll have to smash them all over again in order to re-topple the main body. Basically, concentrate your attacks on those heads. Break them enough and you're sure to get the automatic repel.

R0ckman

Once both of the skeletal heads are destroyed, the main body should topple out of the ground for a little while which provides easy access to its weak spot on its back. But the heads will regenerate soon after and you'll have to smash them all over again in order to re-topple the main body. Basically, concentrate your attacks on those heads. Break them enough and you're sure to get the automatic repel.

Is there any decent tell for this? The only thing I notice is that the tenaclea jerk thata it.

tuffy

Is there any decent tell for this? The only thing I notice is that the tenaclea jerk thata it.
The bones around the "head" will explode with the loud pop and Kakarkos will pull the inner tentacle back under the ground really quickly. I try to focus on one head at a time, like breaking the one on the right before moving on to the one on the left. If I remember right, I had to break the bony heads about three times apiece before I finally triggered the repel.

R0ckman

Finally did it, eventually had to resort to the ballista. I think my problem was reading this reddit guide that was written in a way to beat him as fast as possible so they didn't recommend the ballista and also had other confusing suggestions like staying between the heads claiming its safer when it definitely wasn't.

Man the charge attack is annoying because he homes as he's charging it.

Anywhoo I seemed to have more fun soloing 4 ultimate.

Why do they have it so you HAVE to issue the urgent quest for the credit?

tuffy

Why do they have it so you HAVE to issue the urgent quest for the credit?
Congratulations!

Because anyone can participate in an urgent quest without necessarily completing all the key quests leading up to it, making the urgent only count for the hunter who posted it is one way to ensure people don't skip out on all their key quests. Theoretically, another method would be to only allow people who've unlocked the urgent be able to take it and have it count for everybody, but that could make it harder to find people who are allowed to help out.

Top Bottom