• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2.0 Error Reporting & Feedback Thread

Rellik

Mine is 400x400 and it seems OK, it seems to have just squared yours off. Are you able to make a square version of that avatar?

I just resized it to 100x100 and it seems to be the same.

I did the drag thing to crop it to fit but it doesn't seem to save the cropped version like Shifty. said.

Edit: I like how copy and pasting someone's screen name embeds it into the post.

Last edited:

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
Rellik Rellik
Not sure why mine is working OK then. At least it's an issue that's been noted now.

You can also add names by typing them in after an @, if you start typing the name in after that it'll bring up a list of users.

Toe-Knee

I am still getting email notifications even though I've disabled them in the profile.

Great update all around though. Can't wait for a lighter theme.

Edit; ignore me. Found it. Didn't scroll far enough.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Layout seems busy
Too much empty space left/right, seems build for phones rather than widescreen monitors?

longdi

Banned
i loaded one but wanted to replace wither another, it still load as the old one, despite me deleting the old one from gaf and my local pc!

Rellik

Rellik Rellik
Not sure why mine is working OK then. At least it's an issue that's been noted now.

You can also add namxes by typing them in after an @, if you start typing the name in after that it'll bring up a list of users.

I've fixed it for mine by doing a 400x400 version with some space, but I did notice in my profile it has a black line at the bottom like it's been cropped. I don't know if that helps in any way, but I'm okay with how mine looks now.

2018-01-0714_28_38-reh9ulz.png

Ecrofirt

Two questions:
This is likely already in the works, but will the ability to turn avatars off come back during the flurry of upgrades?

Second question: having not really followed the development of vbulletin I was surprised to read last week that the site was on vbulletin 3 and not vbulletin 5. There was obviously a conscious reason for that, but I found that surprising. Did vbulletin make some kind of change for the worse as their platform developed? As an IT professional, I am interested in what factors were weighed to make a wholesale software and database conversation more lucrative than a software upgrade with an existing product. Clearly it was a very large undertaking, so the reasons were worth the work.

Edit: typos galore. I'm tired and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Last edited:
Ehh, i don't see it, I guess it's because i'm a "neo-member". Doesn't make much sense that new members can't even like other posts but whatever...

I wasn't seeing it either but realized that I'm getting signed out every time I enter a new thread. Once I log back in, I see the "Like" button again.

Ichabod

Banned
First impression is a good one. Looking forward to taking the new features for a test drive. On a side note, do avatars still have the follow the old rules with regard to dimensions/size?

Yeah, there are avatar issues.

For some reason, I can't upload a new avatar, even if I delete this one. This avatar had the same name as the one I wanted to upload.

I also don't like how the new layout doesn't use my fullscreen. Someone got paid to make this look bad.

No forums buttons that I can see. Not easy to switch to different forums like OT back to gaming.

Last edited:
Is there a bright theme option anywhere? I profoundly dislike dark themes and never use them anywhere. It bothers my eyes. If there isnt such a theme, will one be implemented ?

Epix

Is the responsive design coming later because I see 900px black gutters on both sides of the content.

Timan

Developer
Is there a bright theme option anywhere? I profoundly dislike dark themes and never use them anywhere. It bothers my eyes. If there isnt such a theme, will one be implemented ?
One is coming, I wasn't available last night post upgrade so they put a temp placeholder theme. Sometime today :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Nice design, but the "like" feature is bad, just look at reddit.
The important difference in Reddit is the downvote. Also message ordering is affected by those, not the case here.

Timan

Developer
Is the responsive design coming later because I see 900px black gutters on both sides of the content.
Technically it is responsive (resize the window to a smaller width), just the max width was set to 1200px. I've just updated that to be 96% like the vb forums were.

Dienekes

Moderator battling in the shade.
Any chance animated avatars will make a comeback?
Unlikely, these are currently disabled due to being distracting.

Not sure if it's everyone but apostrophes are broken it seems. Sometimes it's a box and sometimes it's some jumbled code.

9fq8rQv.jpg
Known issue from the migration. It will be fixed soon.

Please come up with something other then the Cheap Ass Gamer Halloween color scheme.

Everything else looks great.
This will definitely get better and themes are being updated soon.

DonF

Congrats, it looks awesome yet I can feel the old gaf style. It even runs smoother on mobile.

TBiddy

Looks great. A huge upgrade, from what I've seen.

It's a lot slower though, but that might be temporary.

Ultimadrago

Looks good, but is it me or can we not access Off-Topic/Community instantly from the Gaming Forum (ala The tabs from the old website)?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Old links to posts/threads don't seem to work at the moment (they just redirect to neogaf.com). Will those eventually be restored or are they lost forever?

Also when I look at my own personal post history, it's missing...a lot. It seems to be a random slice of posts from 2012.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
i loaded one but wanted to replace wither another, it still load as the old one, despite me deleting the old one from gaf and my local pc!

Experiencing this too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Two questions:
This is likely already in the works, but will the ability to turn avatars off come back during the flurry of upgrades?

It's on the to-do list. Legacy mobile-gaf had a lot of custom features and we'll aim for feature parity with it on the new platform wherever it's feasible.

Second question: having not really followed the development of vbulletin I was surprised to read last week that the site was on vbulletin 3 and not vbulletin 5. There was obviously a conscious reason for that, but I found that surprising. Did vbulletin make some kind of change for the worse as their platform developed? As an IT professional, I am interested in what factors were weighed to make a wholesale software and database conversation more lucrative than a software upgrade with an existing product. Clearly it was a very large undertaking, so the reasons were worth the work.

Edit: typos galore. I'm tired and the coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

vb4 and vb5 are less efficient than vb3, and we needed a high-end ten server array with many custom hacks to keep GAF afloat on vb3, so that would be a problem! The features vb4 and vb5 added were mostly useless social bloat, too, so it wasn't a very compelling upgrade path overall and they're not viewed positively by most of the forum community. XF is kind of an unofficial fork of vb3 made by some of its ex-devs, and has a great track record for security, efficiency, scalability, add-on support, etc., so it's been the clear choice for several years now.

Last edited:

OrionFalls

It only helps to fuel the hive mind mentality you see on Reddit, or Facebook, for that matter.

There's nothing good about it.
You’d rather a page of ‘I agree...’ posts than a single line of text below the post saying who agrees with it? Each to their own, but I know what I prefer, and I know what’s staying.

Rox598

Loving the changes espically the mobile view

I do have a small issue though I changed my Avatar once but when I try to change it again it just reloads the first one I uploaded. Even deleting the current avatar and uploading a completely different one the very first one I uploaded appears again.

Vert boil

Currently I can't edit old posts, is this just a temp issue that will be resolved or is it a decision you guys made that won't be reversed?

Grinchy

Banned
Loving the changes espically the mobile view

I do have a small issue though I changed my Avatar once but when I try to change it again it just reloads the first one I uploaded. Even deleting the current avatar and uploading a completely different one the very first one I uploaded appears again.
Yeah it seems to be doing that. I can't change mine and re-cropping it doesn't actually change the way it's cropped. Small issue, probably be worked out soon enough.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
Only issue I see is that it broke my old saved urls for the individual forums. Should probably setup a redirect from the old urls to the new ones.

Shotpun

I had to reset my password, trying to use the old one told me "incorrect password". I guess the update didn't like the special characters I had on my old password.

Top Bottom