• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New handheld game console announced: the Playdate

-YFC-

Playdate? What a weird name. Sounds like when you drop your kids off to a neighbours house to play with his kid.
But it's somewhat cool. Not really sure at who it's aimed at.

Naibel

It's an interesting novelty toy for hipsters, but the $149 price tag makes it DOA. I'll wait till it goes below 30 bucks/Euros.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Is this some kind of elaborated joke??
Who the fuck want this thing?

That's valid. Lol.

I think, try to look at it as more of a toy than a serious videogame console. It's just unique enough with the retro-style visuals and controls, and the... crank, to be able to carve out a space for itself, if the games are well done.

I was actually thinking recently how I kind of miss simple Game Boy-like games, and this seems like it could bring a bit of that fun back for me, if it's good.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
I want one on my shelf just for people ask me what the hell it is.

220px-Hipster%2C_Newtown%2C_hipster_beard%2C_retro_watch%2C_colourful_glasses.jpg

wondermega

I really like weird little devices like this, like Arduboy. They are definitely not for the mainstream, but I think they are cool in their own right for trying something a little different. I can't really see this getting too much support (maybe they need to donate some to interested developers, maybe they are already planning to do that - I have no idea) but just as I designer I can think of some interesting ideas off of the top of my head that could be implemented with a crank input.

It reminds me a little of how games were in the 1970s and 1980s. The displays were super limited, and there really wasn't a concretely established standard for how games would be controlled, so you had all sorts of people trying out all sorts of things. Some were really neat, others were really limited - some even terrible - but even as many were gimmicky, they were still interesting and fun to explore (at least, as toys).

Even the early days of touchscreen gaming, before they became what they are now, there was a lot of interesting and uniquely inspired control methodologies played with to see what people would enjoy playing on a flat, bio-feedback-less screen. As awful as it sounded on paper, there were a bunch of cool and successful little games that were designed with that in mind.

So while I agree the price and promise of this thing is at least a little damning, I'm very interested to see more of what happens with it. It feels unfair to just judge it before it's even had a chance to do anything yet. It also seems sad that a hugely popular and "anything goes" gaming discussion board like this can be so quick to dismiss it. Prove the naysayers wrong, Playdate!

"It's got a black and white screen.."

For $150? Are they mental?

it comes with some sort of game subscription where you get a new game each week... or month? I forgot... for a certain amount of time.

also the hardware running the system isn't bad, it's just the screen that's really simplistic.

iHaunter

it comes with some sort of game subscription where you get a new game each week... or month? I forgot... for a certain amount of time.

also the hardware running the system isn't bad, it's just the screen that's really simplistic.

The price tag for the gimmick that it is, is far too steep. I don't many willing to pay for a B/W screen for $150. I don't see this selling well.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We've had some new tweets and apparently (I haven't been following too closely) signs of life since Corona. Nicely collected here.

The dungeon crawler looks neat, but the other two... ehh. Judging by these three games only, less crank technology experiments, more old-school Game Boy vibes, please.

Looks like the type of thing one of those Xmas pop-up shops or "gadget stores" sell for £29.99, nestled in between the Mini Lava lamps and them 3d Pin art things.

Sure its cool as an experiment and development toy, but its gonna need a better screen for that price to sell en masse

NinjaBoiX

How in the world does £30 pay for anything?
What, a black and white handheld console with a smattering of very simple games and a less than optimistic future?

You can get full colour emulation machines that can play thousands of games for a similar price, £30 seems a bit rich at that point.

Edit: I guess you could argue that maybe £50 is more reasonable (£20 for that gimmicky crank), but £100+ is lunacy.

As others have said, D.O.A. It’s a very hard sell, they should’ve priced it accordingly. Then they could’ve charged for these “innovative” games instead of trying to bundle them in with the start price.

Last edited:
It would be cool to actually have it be a source of power, like those flashlights you shake or a small generator. That way you have to monitor your electricity gauge and stop at the right time to crank for more power. To me, the “game of charge” would make up for any low expectations and would add to the overall quality of the experience with the handheld.

ZoolNL

It’s marketed for people who want something else, different.

it’s not for guys comparing it yo current big company handhelds or emulation.

target audience is different.
It’s like the aevercade is not competition for the Nintendo Switch, but gathered it’s own niche.

Mind you, so far they are only producing 10.000 of these devices. That should say enough.

diffusionx

It’s like the aevercade is not competition for the Nintendo Switch, but gathered it’s own niche.

Mind you, so far they are only producing 10.000 of these devices. That should say enough.

You know, sometimes a product is just stupid, and a waste of time, and the people who made it just have bad ideas.

This is one of those times.

Burger

What, a black and white handheld console with a smattering of very simple games and a less than optimistic future?

You can get full colour emulation machines that can play thousands of games for a similar price, £30 seems a bit rich at that point.

Edit: I guess you could argue that maybe £50 is more reasonable (£20 for that gimmicky crank), but £100+ is lunacy.

As others have said, D.O.A. It’s a very hard sell, they should’ve priced it accordingly. Then they could’ve charged for these “innovative” games instead of trying to bundle them in with the start price.

It maybe black and white but the screen is new technology.

The cost includes a total of 12 games to come out over the year, and obviously the cost contributes towards the development of these. It's a unique, low volume item.

Yes you could get a decent handheld emulator from China for less money. But that's comparing very different items and coming to the conclusion they are different.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Right, I'm worried that the price is a catastrophe (even for novelty-seekers like myself, I'm not rushing right out to check this out,) but everything else about this is built for fun and experimentation; it's outside of the ratrace of gaming hardware.

Agent X

There will be a Playdate Update video showcase on June 8 on Panic's YouTube channel.

The price of the Playdate is being increased to $179 (from $149), but with double the games and double the internal storage. The system's "Season One" will include 24 games instead of 12, and the amount of internal storage will increase from 2 GB to 4 GB. More information can be found in the following article from Engadget:

Engadget said:
It’s been a long time since we’ve heard anything about the Playdate, Panic’s tiny hand-cranked gaming handheld, but that’s about to change. On June 8th 2021, the company will debut a 15-minute video showcase on its YouTube channel that will give a lot more details about the device, a look at the games included with it, and how exactly to get your hands on one.

Panic also announced some bad news however; the Playdate is now priced at $179 instead of the initial $149. The company says that this is largely due to the massive global shortage of electronic parts caused in part by the pandemic. However, to make up for the price difference, Panic will include double the number of "Season One" games that come bundled with the device (24 instead of 12) and it will have double the amount of internal storage (4GB instead of 2GB) as well.

$180 US. So around $220 cdn. LOL.

Might be worth it if you knock a 0 off the price.

A trash gadget that only got attention due to the bright bumblebee yellow.

Top Bottom