• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

SDCowboy

The race to the bottom that Microsoft is participating right now, is a race you don't want to win.

That depends. If they can sustain this price point, they may have found the perfect number that both raises their sales and takes from the PS4's. If Sony is going to stick with $400 for just the console, and the Bone stays somewhere in the $300's, I wouldn't be shocked if the PS4 doesn't win another NPD until there's a substantial price drop.

Elandyll

Banned
But just how good is good enough?

You have to wonder.

The Xbox 1 ACU bundle @ $349, in less than a month of sales (Nov. 11th -> Dec. 4th), went from inexistent to 19th best selling rank on Amazon for the whole year.

It passed the PS4 Destiny SKU (and its 3 months of sales) by a pretty nice margin (that one sits at currently #30 for the year) and even though I know we can't make direct equivalence between Amazon ranking and numbers sold, Destiny did probably north of 500.000 units between the first two months (PS4's total is north of 800k between Sept. and Oct., including the single PS4 SKU). We also know that back in March the XB1 TF bundle did around 300k (it was arguably the vast majority of the XB1 sold that month I think), and in the yearly ranking it's located at Rank #96.

Take the following table with a HUGE grain of salt, but here we go, I'm going to commit the unthinkable and attribute sale #s to Amazon Rankings, for the year, and do a complete wild and most probably totally inaccurate guess on sale splits. The sales next to each SKU are including up to -October- for 2014, as adding anything "sales" from November would be just a complete guess work.

Note: It is likely by when you reach the top of the rankings of Amazon products the quantities sold behave like a logarithmic curve and probably climb faster than you'd expect, rather than being linear, so don't read "The ACU bundle sold millions!" from the following.

2014 Amazon Videogames Sales Rankings (as of December 12th 2014 - the numbers indicated are NPD based as of including October 2014)
#4: PS4 - ≈2.3m
#19: XB1 ACU bundle - ??
#30: PS4 Destiny bundle - ≈500k
#75: PS4 GTA V bundle - ??
#87: XB1 w Kinect - ≈400k
#96: XB1 Titanfall Bundle - ≈350k

PS: Again, those are -estimated splits- based on actual NPD numbers.
The reason we don't see the no Kinect SKU is probably because sales have been split between several SKUs .
As a reminder, the total # of PS4s sold in NA in 2014 is about 2.8m (including October 2014), while the total number of XB1s sold is about 1.8m (including October 2014).

The PS4 GTA V bundle is not (as of yet) on the yearly ranking on Amazon, so hard to tell. Not sure if it's becase of lack of update (The November ranking of Amazon was only recently re-adjusted), or simply lack of unit sold (under 300k nationwide is my guess).
EDIT: As notified below, it is there at rank #75. Placing it in the chart.

PPS: This is not to be used as a source of info. All the split numbers here are only for theorycrafting and only "based" on actual NPD data.

So ... long story short. Either MS is playing Coy to eventually "dazzle" the medias with huge numbers, -or- Amazon is about to lose its title of "Reliable way of predicting rankings based on their online sales".

SDCowboy

I honestly cannot imagine PS4 leading another NPD if Sony keeps the PS4 at $399 if the X1 is low $300s with multiple games.

It's an interresting turn. The PS4 made the Xbone get a significant price drop and now it looks like the Bone may suddenly force the PS4 to match. It's a win/win for consumers.

Chobel

[360] 298k
[3DS] 500k
[PS3] 153k
[PS4] 910k
[WIU] 312k
[XB1] 1,091k
[PSV] 53k

Don't you think that you're a little optimistic? 2 million current-gen consoles sold in November seems a bit much for 1 year old consoles, and if MS sold ~1.1M units I think we would have some PR from them by now.

SDCowboy

Just anecdotal but, I just got back from Walmart a bit ago and it was odd. They seemed to have zero WiiU's but instead had PS4's in the WiiU section, with more PS4's going most of the way across the cases. Not sure what it means but it was odd.

Don't you think that you're a little optimistic? 2 million current-gen consoles sold in November seems a bit much for 1 year old consoles, and if MS sold ~1.1M units I think we would have some PR from them by now.

Welp, we will find out in a couple days. Believe.

It's an interresting turn. The PS4 made the Xbone get a significant price drop and now it looks like the Bone may suddenly force the PS4 to match. It's a win/win for consumers.

MS is not going to keep $329 price point and free games after holiday season. Actually even $349 price point was meant to be limited to holiday season but they are pretty much forced to keep it now because otherwise sales would fall off the cliff. I still think that PS4 is competitive with $349 Xbox One.

Welfare

MS is not going to keep $329 price point and free games after holiday season. Actually even $349 price point was meant to be limited to holiday season but they are pretty much forced to keep it now because otherwise sales would fall off the cliff. I still think that PS4 is competitive with $349 Xbox One.

Well, they can either keep the One at $349, or follow up with their "Holiday only" statement and raise the price back, but with a bundled game.

Superman00

Liverpool01
People need to look at the big picture. Sony want to maximize the profit this year. It's the holiday season, they are gonna sell millions period. Sony shipped 4.9 millions PS3 in it second holiday(Oct-Dec 2007). They are definitely gonna ship more than that for the PS4. Putting them close to 20 millions console shipped worldwide by January 1st and definitely over 20 millions by March. Why take a profit hit when the PS4 is still selling a lot worldwide and they maybe lose 1 or 2 months in NPD. Especially when Japan will probably cover that deficit, let alone Europe, which is Sony biggest market.

gtj1092

Yeah people are acting like xb1 is blowing away ps4 now. The $399 ps4 GTA bundle ranked ahead of the $329 ACU xb1 the entire time both were available on black Friday. When the ps4 becomes less desirable is the moment Sony should drop the price. They shouldn't drop simply because xb1 dropped theirs.

Cornbread78

Just anecdotal but, I just got back from Walmart a bit ago and it was odd. They seemed to have zero WiiU's but instead had PS4's in the WiiU section, with more PS4's going most of the way across the cases. Not sure what it means but it was odd.

Very few Wii-U's are shipped to stores and Sony is finally stuffign channes of PS4s since the sales boost. There were very few times during the PS3 era that we received large shipments of PS3s, but recently we've received several large shipments, including the new bundles shown here:

Walmart PS4 deal $399, 1 free game + $50 GC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947503&highlight=walmart

Hopefully, now that sales have picked up on WiiU's we will start getting them again soon.

People need to look at the big picture. Sony want to maximize the profit this year. It's the holiday season, they are gonna sell millions period. Sony shipped 4.9 millions PS3 in it second holiday(Oct-Dec 2007). They are definitely gonna ship more than that for the PS4. Putting them close to 20 millions console shipped worldwide by January 1st and definitely over 20 millions by March. Why take a profit hit when the PS4 is still selling a lot worldwide and they maybe lose 1 or 2 months in NPD. Especially when Japan will probably cover that deficit, let alone Europe, which is Sony biggest market.

And, China PS4 shipments should start soon.

Very few Wii-U's are shipped to stores and Sony is finally stuffign channes of PS4s since the sales boost. There were very few times during the PS3 era that we received large shipments of PS3s, but recently we've received several large shipments, including the new bundles shown here:

Walmart PS4 deal $399, 1 free game + $50 GC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947503&highlight=walmart

Hopefully, now that sales have picked up on WiiU's we will start getting them again soon.
nvm, post 17-18 with same question and answer lol

that's damn good

Gift card.
yeah, thanks

Here are the adjusted Amazon rankings:

Nov. 2014 (Amazon)
#2 X1 AC Bundle
#11 PS4 GTA Bundle
#31 PS4
#48 PS4 Destiny Bundle
#79 PS4 LBP bundle
#82 X1 AC + Kinect
#100 X1 Cod Bundle

Interesting.
It looks like both bundles sold well, but I'm thinking the difference between 2nd and 11th is significant, because on the yearly rankings, the two are #19, and #75 respectively.

Philly40

May or may not be relevant, but this post in the PAL thread from Mpl90 suggests 350K for XB1 and PS4 combined in the last 2 weeks of November (UK).

A rough US:UK multiplier of 5X would give 1750K for two weeks?

- granted, there has been a lot of good bundles in the UK, but even accounting for VAT US prices still seem to be offering the better deal.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
May or may not be relevant, but this post in the PAL thread from Mpl90 suggests 350K for XB1 and PS4 combined in the last 2 weeks of November (UK).

A rough US:UK multiplier of 5X would give 1750K for two weeks?

- granted, there has been a lot of good bundles in the UK, but even accounting for VAT US prices still seem to be offering the better deal.

UK bundles were really insane for both consoles. Instead, in US we had big deals for Xbox One and "just" good ones for PS4. The situation's been quite different.

Here are the adjusted Amazon rankings:

Nov. 2014 (Amazon)
#2 X1 AC Bundle
#11 PS4 GTA Bundle
#31 PS4
#48 PS4 Destiny Bundle
#79 PS4 LBP bundle
#82 X1 AC + Kinect
#100 X1 Cod Bundle

Interesting.
It looks like both bundles sold well, but I'm thinking the difference between 2nd and 11th is significant, because on the yearly rankings, the two are #19, and #75 respectively.

If AC bundle went up for pre-order in October, those would count there.

Based on the NPD comparisons in the other post, I'm guessing yearly rankings are actually more bunched than the monthly ones (on average). The question is whether all those added together come anywhere near #2 on the list.

Miles X

UK bundles were really insane for both consoles. Instead, in US we had big deals for Xbox One and "just" good ones for PS4. The situation's been quite different.

Even so I doubt that typical, historical X5 was that much different. And the US deals for XB1 were still insane, official price cut then further price cuts.

That ignores the first 2 weeks with Halo, AC, COD ect as well.

on the other hand, Black Friday is the real thing here, as opposed to the UK which only managed about a 2x increase over the previous week

Yoda

The lack of any pre-emptive PR makes me think something isn't too rosy for MS. While I imagine they did better on BF due to the price differential, if they did THAT much better they'd easily have just announced something?

Servbot24

Banned

Yeah, I'm thinking that XBox will be $350 w/ no games included for a while. I expect PS4 and XB1 to sell fair fairly evenly at those prices. Of course XB1 has a big drought coming up while PS4 has several big titles, so a lot will depend on how those are received.

Welfare

on the other hand, Black Friday is the real thing here, as opposed to the UK which only managed about a 2x increase over the previous week
How much is the BF increase from the previous week? I would assume the Week over week increase would only be close to 2x if the numbers before BF were already good.

Yeah, I'm thinking that XBox will be $350 w/ no games included for a while. I expect PS4 and XB1 to sell fair fairly evenly at those prices. Of course XB1 has a big drought coming up while PS4 has several big titles, so a lot will depend on how those are received.

If Xbox dares to move the price back up it will suffer...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Now that you make me think about it, what are MS titles for Xbox One's first half next year?

Asd202

They gave up being profitable the moment they came up with these crazy bundles and deals.

Yes but they did to "win" something and gain marketshare in the busiest season they can't keep selling console at a loss like this. Unless they like to bleed money.

BadWolf

Yes but they did to "win" something and gain marketshare in the busiest season they can't keep selling console at a loss like this. Unless they like to bleed money.

They are also setting a bad precedent where people might start expecting such deals.

I think maybe MS waited to brag on NPD, because they wanted the fact they won to be all we talked about till DEC NPD. If they had bragged earlier the effect would have been muted by Sony dropping its bombs at PlayStation Experience. Now that the event is behind us I think we'll hear them make note if they did win. I'm betting on PR soon.

Mikey Jr.

Pachter's Predictions:

XB1: 750K
PS4: 600K
WIU: 300K

Please, GAF, be smart about this.

DO NOT make a new thread about his predictions. And if a site like VentureBeat picks it up for some stupid reason, DON'T bring it over to GAF. Threads about Pachter's predictions just lead to a whole bunch of nonsense that isn't conducive to proper discourse.

Pachter only channel checks a few stores and his predictions are NOT IN ANY WAY a reliable source. He predicts video game console sales for FUN. His real day job is to help investors make sound investment decisions.

And yes, Pachter deserves every penny he gets for the real work that he does every day.

After Pachter said that XB1 would beat PS4 handily during Destiny release, I don't trust him anymore.

I mean, it was common sense PS4 beat X1. Not only did he say X1 beat PS4, but it did by a large amount. I'd honesty rather use ******** or whatever.

Asd202

They are also setting a bad precedent where people might start expecting such deals.

Yeah I think when PS4 will have its price drop to say $350 MS will have a huge problem on their hands as I think they diminished the value of the console with those crazy deals. It went from to $500 to $330 with 2 new games in less than a year for gods sake.

They will have to this deal right now can't be profitable.

Price raises are dangerous. You're gonna have a tough time convincing someone to buy something that had been anywhere from $50-$70 cheaper for months prior. I personally can't see MS putting the price back to $400. Seems to me the "limited time deal" is more trying to get people to buy sooner rather than later, with no intentions to raise the price, trying to secure a holiday win.

Boke1879

I honestly cannot imagine PS4 leading another NPD if Sony keeps the PS4 at $399 if the X1 is low $300s with multiple games.

While I do see the XB1 staying at $350 I can't see it being offered with multiple games for the rest of it's life. I suspect after this holiday period. They'll just sell the console as is for $350.

Top Bottom