• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

PJX

In 2012, surely. Knowing MS not till fall 2012 though. MS is so fall oriented. They probably dont see the sales the rest of the year as worth bothering with.

What we're missing is Nintendo PR. That always comes, then we combine that with the MS market share percent they always give us to get the PS3 numbers.

I'm wondering of Nintendo considers their recent PR their PR quota for the month.

That's weird considering almost all of their price cuts came before Fall.

Road

Collation of statements:
NPD analyst Anita Frazier notes that Skylanders Spyro's Adventure is not on the list due to character packs and software bundles falling into the accessories category. However, if those sales were taken into account, the game "would rank 4th in December, and 11th for Annual 2011 on dollar sales."

In addition, Star Wars: The Old Republic was the 14th highest-selling title in December. Frazier also notes that "there is one title that would have fallen in the top 10 for December if we were ranking on an SKU basis rather than on a combined platform basis as we do now: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the 10th best selling software SKU for the month of December."

Frazier notes that sales for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were up 5% in 2011 and that "the Xbox 360 platform accounted for nearly 40% of annual 2011 new physical retail sales across all categories." She also wrote that Xbox 360 and PS3 "were the two platforms to realize a unit sales increase over last year. All other platforms declined in unit sales versus 2010 (save the 3DS which wasn't in market last year)." Finally, she notes that "Wii and the PS3 were neck and neck in second place for Annual 2011."
http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1216446p1.html

Frazier noted that the only platforms to see a month-on-month increase during December were the 3DS and DS, "which is highly unusual since typically all platforms enjoy a lift in the biggest month at retail
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-12-modern-warfare-3-xbox-360-top-us-2011-charts

I think the last comment is based on weekly averages if talking about hardware units, or else it doesn't make sense.

Hero

So Skyward Sword would place at 10th if it were individual SKU rather than combined multiplatform.

Wonder what kind of figure that would put it at.

Kazerei

Banned
"There is one title that would have fallen in the top 10 for December if we were ranking on an SKU basis rather than on a combined platform basis as we do now: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the 10th best selling software SKU for the month of December."

Yay, at least Zelda isn't dead yet in North America

Nintendo really needs to bring some innovation with their launch software for WiiU. I think there's a lot of people who will be interested in games just because they're not part of a series and with Nintendo launching WiiU a good bit before the Xbox 3 and PS4, they could pretty easily establish some new IPs which could help the WiiU be more diverse. Could be a lot of sequel fatigue out there that could be capatilized on.

tzare

You're terribly bitter about that.
They sold roughly 3.8 million 360s to US
consumers alone for the quarter, that's record
sales for the platform.
not bitter at all. just expect the same criteria to be used for all. but that is not the case. and yeah 360 is doing awesome in the us. they will beat nintendo next gen too unless they do weird things. in the us.

angelfly

Both MK7 and SM3DL in the top 10 is pleasing. As for 360 I expected the number to be higher. Still expect to see 3DS over 2 million.

gkryhewy

The 3DS and the DS were the only platforms to realize a unit sales increase versus November, which is highly unusual since typically all platforms enjoy a lift in the biggest month at retail.”

And I was called crazy for predicting a M-O-M decline for PS3. Holy hell. I guess this is what great BF deals and a pretty passive December will get you.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Both MK7 and SM3DL in the top 10 is pleasing. As for 360 I expected the number to be higher. Still expect to see 3DS and Wii over 2 million.

Impossible since 360 had almost half of console sales.

And the Wii is down on a weekly basis from November (as are the HD twins).

Kusagari

So the likely top 10 seperately is probably:
MW3 360
MW3 PS3
Just Dance 3 Wii
Just Dance 3 360
Skyrim 360
Mario Kart 7
Battlefield 3 360
AC: R 360
Super Mario Land 3D
Skyward Sword

With Dance Central 2 and Kinect Sports 2 at 11 and 12.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
900K to 1M based on what we know. It looks like it was beaten by the Wii in december.

November Sales:

360 - 1.7 Million (+24%)
PS3 - ~900K (+70%)
WII - 860k (-32%)
3DS - 795k
NDS - 350k (-77%)

-“Hardware was particularly hard hit in December. Normally, we see sales increase from November to December on an average sales per week basis (keeping in mind December is a 5-week retail month as compared to November which is a 4-week retail month). The 3DS and the DS were the only platforms to realize a unit sales increase versus November, which is highly unusual since typically all platforms enjoy a lift in the biggest month at retail.”

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
MW3 360
MW3 PS3
Just Dance 3 Wii
Just Dance 3 360
Skyrim 360
Mario Kart 7
Battlefield 3 360
Super Mario Land 3D
Skyward Sword

huh? I thought both DC2 ans KS2 are in tp 10.

Top 10 individual CONSOLE SKU should look like:

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
2. CoD: MW3 (360)
3. Skyrim (360)
4. CoD: MW3 (PS3)
5. BF3 (360)
6. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
8: Zelda (Wii)
9. Kinect Sports: Season 2 (360)
10. Dance Central 2 (360)

I'm assuming the MS PR title boasting is in order of sales. If we know where MW3 PS3 placed, we should have it perfect.

MW3 360
MW3 PS3
Just Dance 3 Wii
Just Dance 3 360
Skyrim 360
Mario Kart 7
Battlefield 3 360
Super Mario Land 3D
Skyward Sword

JD 360 is down the list, Microsoft usually lists the games in order on their PR when they mention the top 10.

idlewild_

It's less than 900k since it had 900k last month and NPD says it had a M-O-M decline.

Maybe I misunderstood, but it appeared to be saying that the average sales per week declined, but not necessarily that total sales for the month did (4 week vs 5 week)

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
November Sales:

360 - 1.7 Million (+24%)
PS3 - ~900K (+70%)
WII - 860k (-32%)
3DS - 795k
NDS - 350k (-77%)

-“Hardware was particularly hard hit in December. Normally, we see sales increase from November to December on an average sales per week basis (keeping in mind December is a 5-week retail month as compared to November which is a 4-week retail month). The 3DS and the DS were the only platforms to realize a unit sales increase versus November, which is highly unusual since typically all platforms enjoy a lift in the biggest month at retail.”

In that case Microsofts 46% market share claim makes no sense.

idlewild_ said:
Maybe I misunderstood, but it appeared to be saying that the average sales per week declined, but not necessarily that total sales for the month did (4 week vs 5 week)

That would explain it.

olimpia84

And so the 3DS craze is beginning...I'm really curious about HW and SW numbers.

Happy to see that Zelda made it to the top 10 :)
No Uncharted 3 :(

user_nat

MW3 360
MW3 PS3
Just Dance 3 Wii
Just Dance 3 360
Skyrim 360
Mario Kart 7
Battlefield 3 360
Super Mario Land 3D
Skyward Sword

MS PR is likely in order. So MW3 > Skyrim > BF3 > AC > JD3 > Sports > DC2.

Somewhat surprised that November wasn't bigger than December given all the drops.

Huh... very low hardware sales, I wonder what happened? I definitely want to see what the 3DS sold though.

I think one of the reasons Twilight Princess did so well was the fact that it was a launch game for the wii. The Wii was selling so well during launch, and many who purchased also purchased a copy of Twilight Princess since there weren't a lot of games released at the time.

TP sold a million on the Gamecube too in the US, it didn't just sell on Wii.

In that case Microsofts 46% market share claim makes no sense.

46% not including handhelds I assume.

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
3. Skyrim (360)
5. BF3 (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
8. Kinect Sports: Season 2 (360)
9. Dance Central 2 (360)
10: Zelda (Wii)

I'm assuming the MS PR title boasting is in order of sales. If we know where MW3 PS3 placed, we should have it perfect.
Mario Kart 7 ?

Edit: Oh. Console.

Kusagari

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
3. Skyrim (360)
5. BF3 (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
9. Dance Central 2 (360)

NPD stated that the only game that would make it seperately is Skyward Sword so it has to be above the Kinect games.

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
3. Skyrim (360)
5. BF3 (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
9. Dance Central 2 (360)

Zelda is 10th including the handheld games(Anita would go by the entire market top 10 not just home console like MS does), so I would move that to 8th and then move KS2 and DC2 each down a spot. Otherwise it looks like a good list.

Seven of the top 10 selling games for the entire year were released between October and November it looks like. No wonder publishers try to jam all their big titles between October and November.

user_nat

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
3. Skyrim (360)
5. BF3 (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
9. Dance Central 2 (360)

Zelda would be higher. They were saying it would make the overall top 10, so it would place above Kinect Sports and Dance Central at least (who only make the top 10 without handhelds).

And beaten..

Zelda is 10th including the handheld games(Anita would go by the entire market top 10 not just home console like MS does), so I would move that to 8th and then move KS2 and DC2 each down a spot. Otherwise it looks like a good list.

Good point. I fixed the list with Zelda 8 instead of 10.

1. Just Dance 3 (Wii)
3. Skyrim (360)
5. BF3 (360)
7. Just Dance 3 (360)
8: Zelda (Wii)
9. Kinect Sports: Season 2 (360)
10. Dance Central 2 (360)

Top Bottom