• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

Is Just Dance going to be able to keep these sales up? Ubisoft's DS shovelware market dried up pretty quickly, but Just Dance has kept increasing. The WiiU doesn't look like it would fit Just Dance that well so maybe next-gen will hurt it as well.

Opiate

Why in the ever living fuck is Just Dance 3 at number 2 but Dance Central 2 doesn't even make the list?

Most likely because Just Dance was the originator of the genre's current wave of popularity. Imitators rarely dethrone the originator, even if they are perceived by many as technically superior products.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is Just Dance going to be able to keep these sales up? Ubisoft's DS shovelware market dried up pretty quickly, but Just Dance has kept increasing. The WiiU doesn't look like it would fit Just Dance that well so maybe next-gen will hurt it as well.

Guitar Hero peaked at entry #3, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes from here.

fSKpx.png

The 360's 2011 number is around 7.2M-7.3M, right?

Dipswitch

Definitely price cut time for the 360. It's an absolute miracle that they've been able to keep the price of the HDD equipped units this high, for this long. But they've played their last card (Kinect) and they've officially crested the sales wave at this price point.

Still plenty of life left in it at lower price points mind you.

Definitely price cut time for the 360. It's an absolute miracle that they've been able to keep the price of the HDD equipped units this high, for this long. But they've played their last card (Kinect) and they've officially crested the sales wave at this price point.

Still plenty of life left in it at lower price points mind you.

They should be able to ride out 2012 with a pricecut. Going another good Holiday season out of it and bring the 720 in 2013. By that time they can lower the 360 to $99 and sweep up any left overs.

fernoca

Just Dance has been out for 2+ years so it's a well known and well liked game(Not in the gaming community though.) and its on more than one platform.
Though most of the sale are apparently on Wii and seeing how Just Dance 2 (Wii) was the 9th best selling game of 2011; even when it was released on 2010 it goes to show that the series was quite popular already. ...just more popular now because of it been in more consoles.

Just Dance 3 is also easier to approach and get into than Dance Central 2; plus as you said..more known.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that digital sales aren't included in the software numbers. Last quarter Mircosoft mentioned that retail software sales dropped for them while digital had strong enough growth to make overall software still positive.

Will be interesting to see what they say next week, if that trend continues then I think we are seeing more of a shift in purchasing habits as opposed to the industry sales crashing.

Busaiku

They very occasionally don't give one when they're unhappy with the results.

It's not too unusual for it to come late though.

They already gave out December results though, not NPD, but from their internal trackers.
So it wouldn't too surprising if they just ignored this.

Dunlop

Lets just see if the 360 can keep the momentum going into 2012. I personally hope the bubble bursts so they can go back to giving us good first party exclusives and not Kinect shovelware.

Their CES conference 360 portion left a sour taste in my mouth.

As my kids have a blast with it, I will pick all all the Kinect shovelware I possibly can to ensure this doesn't happen.

There are tons of developers to cater to the hardcore.

Kinda shocked at the 21% difference

Leonsito

Damn, when you compare this against the Dec 2010 sales things look even worse.

Glad for Batman and for Zelda.

Sad to see Just Dance over Dance Central.

Only thing that I want to see is if 3DS is over a million.

For reference: first december for NDS was 745k, and second december was 1,075k

Forkball

I don't get the shock about low hardware sales. These consoles have been out for five or six years. People have gone from high school to graduate school in this time.

fernoca

Only thing that I want to see is if 3DS is over a million.

For reference: first december for NDS was 745k, and second december was 1,075k
Their report last week said that Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land were at over 1 million, 3DS also did over 1 million and Zelda crossed the million mark in sales...but weren't based on NPD.

[NOTE: THIS IS NOT NPD]

3DS sales top 4 million in US said:
Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 become the first million-selling 3DS games for Nintendo of America; Zelda: Skyward Sword the latest Wii title to top 1 million sold in US.

The new year is a time for looking ahead, but Nintendo of America isn't quite done reflecting on 2011, as the company today announced a multitude of sales milestones crossed by its products over the holidays.

First and foremost, the company confirmed that sales of the 3DS have surpassed 4 million units in the United States alone. Last month, Nintendo pegged the system's US installed base at 2.37 million, pointing to December sales in excess of 1.2 million for the handheld.

The system endured a sluggish launch but gathered momentum with a significant price cut and a holiday software lineup including the launches of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Those two games have each sold to about a quarter of 3DS owners, as Nintendo also revealed Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are the first two titles for the system to sell 1 million copies in the US.

As for Nintendo's other products, the Wii topped 4.5 million systems sold in 2011, making for a lifetime US sales total of 39 million. The year also saw Wii software reach new milestones, with November's The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword surpassing 1 million copies sold in its first month and a half on shelves, while 2008's Mario Kart Wii cruised past 11 million copies as the year wound down.

The DS family of handhelds (which doesn't include the 3DS) added another 3.4 million systems to its US tally, pushing its lifetime sales total beyond 51 million sold. The legacy handhelds had their own marquee software hit a significant milestone during the year, as 2006's New Super Mario Bros. reached 10 million copies sold.

Link

PR said:
Nintendo 3DS Crosses 4 Million Mark
Driven by Fast-Selling Software Nintendo 3DS Sells More in Its First Nine Months Than Wii Did

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Whether they were on the go or at home, whether they played in 2D on the TV or in glasses-free 3D in their hands, gamers of all ages celebrated the holidays with Mario™ and Zelda™. Super Mario 3D Land™ and Mario Kart™ 7 for the Nintendo 3DS™ system not only became the fastest-selling titles in the history of their respective franchises when they launched, but they are now also the first Nintendo 3DS titles to sell 1 million units each in the United States. On the console side, The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword, which also broke launch records, became the 45th Wii™ title to sell more than 1 million units in the United States.

“One of the strongest software lineups in our history helped Nintendo have a great holiday season and to close 2011 with a full head of steam”
.“One of the strongest software lineups in our history helped Nintendo have a great holiday season and to close 2011 with a full head of steam,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Not only have the new Mario and Zelda titles already broken records, but with strong reviews and satisfied customers sharing their positive experiences, all three are also shaping up to be the latest long-tail titles from Nintendo. Couple that with a massive first- and third party lineup in the first part of the year and the prospects for 2012 are extremely promising.”

Nintendo sold more than 12 million total hardware units in the United States in 2011, marking the fifth year in a row that the company has accomplished that feat. This includes more than 4.5 million units of Wii, more than 4 million Nintendo 3DS systems, and more than 3.4 million units of the Nintendo DS™ family of systems. This brings the installed base for Wii and Nintendo DS to 39 million and more than 51 million, respectively.

With a strong lineup of software on the horizon, including new installments in the Mario Party™, Pokémon™ and Kid Icarus™ franchises, as well as third-party games such as Resident Evil® Revelations from Capcom and METAL GEAR SOLID® 3D Snake Eater from Konami for Nintendo 3DS, that momentum should continue into the first quarter of 2012 and beyond.

In addition to the milestones reached by new software, two evergreen Nintendo titles celebrated milestones as 2011 drew to a close. Mario Kart Wii™ passed 11 million units sold and New Super Mario Bros.™ for the Nintendo DS family crossed 10 million total units sold.

Remember that Wii and Nintendo 3DS feature parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii or http://www.nintendo.com/3ds.

entire industry is gonna go 3rd party.

Or... ya know... this generation has reached its peak.

if the last 2 gens are anything to go by there is only around 150 / 200 million consoles sold each generation.

We are just well over the 150 million mark this time. Actually I wouldnt be shocked if this gen has the highest number of consoles sold already.

Maybe its finally time for new boxes to restart things.

if the last 2 gens are anything to go by there is only around 150 / 200 million consoles sold each generation.

We are just well over the 150 million mark this time. Actually I wouldnt be shocked if this gen has the highest number of consoles sold already.

We are well over 200 million worldwide between Wii/360/PS3

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member

I think it already is in terms of shipments.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Definitely price cut time for the 360.

not until sales start stagnating they won't - 3.4million sales ,albeit over xmas, means that i doubt they are sitting around thinking about a price cut just yet

I'm astonished at the low 360 number (and, therefore, the lower PS3 and Wii numbers). In past years, you could count on December at 1.5-2x of November. I thought 2.5 million was well with the realm of the possible, and maybe even higher.

Wow low for 360,have to wonder what the other 2 did. Also price drop might finally come in the fall depending on how it starts selling these next few months.

Top Bottom