• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2011 Sales Results [Up5: Star Wars: The Old Republic Sales]

It's going to be interesting to see how the wii and PS3 hold up next year. Both have had recent price cuts and these sales just don't look good at all.

not until sales start stagnating they won't - 3.4million sales ,albeit over xmas, means that i doubt they are sitting around thinking about a price cut just yet

It has been a long time since they cut the price and they will see sales stagnating if they don't next year. MS don't want to throw away their momentum like nintendo have leading up to next gen.

I'm guessing this is the year that 360 finally drops.

I think we will see a price cut and with halo 4 and the huge push surrounding it i think the 360 can do similar numbers to this year.

not until sales start stagnating they won't - 3.4million sales ,albeit over xmas, means that i doubt they are sitting around thinking about a price cut just yet

Most of the 360's sold over this time included gift cards ranging from 50-100 dollars(or had price reductions like during Black Friday). They haven't just started thinking about a price cut, they basically had one this holiday period.

Based on shipped figures, we're well beyond 200 million.
And then another 200 million for handhelds.

I want to look this up now....

so according to Wiki last generation was

ps2 is at 150
xbox 24
GC 21.7
Dreamcast 10.6

Total 216 million

This gen we are currently at

Wii 86 million (as of MARCH 2011.. lol)
360 66 million (as of early January)
ps3 55 million (as of November 2nd)

a total of 208 million.

Now ps3 and Wii numbers are pre Black Friday / xmas so its not hard to guess that we have passed last gens numbers.

I think we will see a price cut and with halo 4 and the huge push surrounding it i think the 360 can do similar numbers to this year.

Price cut + Halo 4 + Microsoft marketing will ensure big sales.

But it will kind of feel like trying to squeeze blood out of a stone by that time, such a huge marketing push would be put to better use in tandem with the release of new hardware, as the 360 goes into its 8th year.

Wow, if that NPD summary to be believe it's going to be pretty much a catastrophic December for the Wii. Something like 54% down year on year.

PS3 wont have much to sing about either, at around 7% down (a lot like the 360's 8.6%).

Could be even worse if they actually meant down on November's total rather than November's weekly sales (though that's unlikely)

I want to look this up now....

so according to Wiki last generation was

ps2 is at 150
xbox 24
GC 21.7
Dreamcast 10.6

Total 216 million

This gen we are currently at

Wii 86 million (as of MARCH 2011.. lol)
360 66 million (as of early January)
ps3 55 million (as of November 2nd)

a total of 208 million.

Now ps3 and Wii numbers are pre Black Friday / xmas so its not hard to guess that we have passed last gens numbers.
Wii is a little bit over 89 million as of their last earnings release.

And Sony's numbers are through the end of September, Nov 2 is when they announced quarterly earnings.

Wow, if that NPD summary to be believe it's going to be pretty much a catastrophic December for the Wii. Something like 54% down year on year.

PS3 wont have much to sing about either, at around 7% down (a lot like the 360's 8.6%).

Could be even worse if they actually meant down on November's total rather than November's weekly sales (though that's unlikely)

Well judging by MS's statement PS3 might be around the same numbers as last month.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I wouldn't call it catastrophic by any means for two reasons:

1) Barely any major releases outside of Zelda.

2) They should actively be trying to kill it off before Wii U drops to prevent brand confusion.

Great news on Skylanders and the Kinect games.

Indyana

We need 3DS, Wii and PS3 numbers
I think I have a good approximation to Wii and PS3 numbers.

Only 3DS and DS sold more per week on December
November:
PS3 - ~900K/4 = 225 *5= 1125k
WII - 860k /4 = 215 *5= 1075k

"Wii and the PS3 were neck and neck in second place for Annual 2011."
Nov PS3 3.6 million
Nov Wii: 3.5 million

1.7 millions = 46%

Wii = 1.050k
PS3 = 950k

These number would obey the three rules: would fit the 54%, would be neck and neck in year to date and would be lower than November per week.

Mrbob

How much did Halo Reach sell in comparison to Halo 3?

I expect Halo 4 to sell well. But it will sell to an established 360 user base.

We've had, what? Halo 3, Halo ODST, Halo Wars, Halo Reach so far. People who want Halo 4 own a 360 already.

This is a good year for the Wii U to come out at least. Nintendo has gotten the most out of the Wii, and I've got to think that any sales are just gravy/bragging rights at this point.

Mrbob

I think the shrinking of new IPs and the reliance on sequels will greatly affect the long tail of this generation. Without new franchises you mainly sell to an established user base. Especially when we are getting into the 3rd and 4th iterations this generation.

The Last of Us is going to be an interesting study. I'm trying to remember when a big new IP would be released 6 years after a console is out.

KageMaru

360 sales are disappointing. Tells me they need a price cut more than new hardware. I still see them riding this out until 2013.

Sad to see Sony and Ninty numbers down as well. =( Since they are actually willing to drop their prices, they really should be selling better.

One thing that needs to be remembered is that digital sales aren't included in the software numbers. Last quarter Mircosoft mentioned that retail software sales dropped for them while digital had strong enough growth to make overall software still positive.

Will be interesting to see what they say next week, if that trend continues then I think we are seeing more of a shift in purchasing habits as opposed to the industry sales crashing.

Was MS referring to only digital game sales or digital sales as a whole, i.e. including movie and TV show sales as well?

It's pretty disgusting that MS hasn't had a proper price drop in 3 years. It's about time they drop it or their sales will continue to decline YoY IMO.

The Last of Us is going to be an interesting study. I'm trying to remember when a big new IP would be released 6 years after a console is out.

Not quite 6 years but GoW launched in 2005 on the PS2, though I'm not sure what impact it had on hardware sales since the PS2 was still pulling in awesome numbers back then.

Looks like Nintendo has done the right thing by launching Wii U this year. Next gen needs to start now. We've been stagnant for far too long, and it's about time.

Pyrokai

I keep seeing that Zelda sold poorly in Japan and Europe. How poorly are we talking here? Do we know the numbers from Europe and Japan? I'm very interested. I didn't realize NA was Zelda's only stronghold.

MS needs to get the Arcade SKU down under $150 and push it as a media box. There is so much growth in that segment of the marketplace.

Looks like Nintendo has done the right thing by launching Wii U this year. Next gen needs to start now. We've been stagnant for far too long, and it's about time.

This.

Posted? From Pachter twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/michaelpachter/status/157642847904993280

michaelpachter Michael Pachter
Wii sales down 55% year-over-year; combination of losing its luster and the Wii U coming out next year. 3DS sales solid, though.

We can work all consoles out from that.

I get Wii at ~1.06m. So PS3=~940k?

Thats all assuming Pachter is pulling straight from real NPD numbers and not Nintendos PR. But it sounds like he is.

KageMaru

IMO stagnant is a bit dramatic. Considering how cheap consoles (well the ps2) were last gen at this point in the life-cycle, it's impressive sales have stayed as high as they have. I think there's a good chance lower prices will breathe some life into this gen still.

olimpia84

I keep seeing that Zelda sold poorly in Japan and Europe. How poorly are we talking here? Do we know the numbers from Europe and Japan? I'm very interested. I didn't realize NA was Zelda's only stronghold.

Zelda is strong in Japan as long as it's released on a handheld.

edit: deleted my sales numbers for SS in Japan, they were a bit off :p

IMO stagnant is a bit dramatic. Considering how cheap consoles (well the ps2) were last gen at this point in the life-cycle, it's impressive sales have stayed as high as they are. I think there's a good chance lower prices will breathe some life into this gen still.

Yeah, a bit dramatic - lol. More so, stagnant, in my eyes. Stagnant in the sense that we're still playing on 5 - 6 + year old hardware and we need to move to the next level. That's what I meant. ;)

gkryhewy

I think the shrinking of new IPs and the reliance on sequels will greatly affect the long tail of this generation. Without new franchises you mainly sell to an established user base. Especially when we are getting into the 3rd and 4th iterations this generation.

I wouldn't expect much of The Last of Us, since none of Sony's first party exclusives have ever managed to move very many units. Uncharted 3, probably the most heavily promoted and anticipated PS3 exclusive since Killzone 2, launched at 700k last month and may not have hit a million yet.

apana

I think the coming generation should be avoided for as long as possible because it will be extremely rough for gaming profits and popularity, a long winter. Nintendo will face decline with Wii U just like what we saw with NES to SNES. Microsoft will have the third console curse with Xbox Infinity collecting dust on store shelves after strong initial sales. PS4 will bomb if released in 2012 just cause the masses are not ready.

In Europe the only official number so far is 250,000 for France alone I think.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I would agree, but Nintendo isn't the one to bring in 'next-gen. Whenever Sony or Microsoft comes out, that's when the bell will be officially rung.

saichi

so now we can put it to rest that 360 did not break December record set by Wii. Some many people were arguing 360 has a chance after a tremendous November.

Indyana

Posted? From Pachter twitter

We can work all consoles out from that.

I get Wii at 1.059m. So PS3=~940k?

Thats all assuming Pachter is pulling straight from real NPD numbers and not Nintendos PR. But it sounds like he is.
Yep. I was so close: Wii = 1.050k and PS3 = 950k.

Sadly my predictions weren't that close.

Wow. Has every 3rd or + entry in Sony's first party franchises under performed this compared to their 2nd game? Im talking Motorstorm, Killzone, Uncharted, Ratchet, Resistance, etc

I went to 'that site' because i got curious and so far its turning out that way. Can sales age GAF clear this up for me?

Top Bottom