• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

AzaK

Column is up if anyone cares:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...dware_in_2012_Winners_losers_and_retirees.php

I'll post my December estimates in a bit. Sorry.

Graphs were really interesting to see their shape. They normally tend towards a bell curve. Take a while to get going, get solid, then slowly drop off. The 360 was almost flat then got a burst (Around Kinect time I imagine). The WIi was the most interesting and IMO the worst possible shape. Bursts out of the gate but them just falls away.

Nintendo handled the Wii absolutely appallingly.

AniHawk

Yes. Here we go:

[360] 5.32mm
[PS3] 3.41mm
[PSV] 1.28mm
[WII] 1.96mm
[WIU] 0.890mm
[3DS] 3.64mm

nintendo has such a problem with the 3ds. they shouldn't be selling 33% of the ytd sales in one month unless the ytd is something bonkers like 9m. i wonder if it's going to stay flat this year or if it can climb to 4m.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
What??? That is just bullshit dude.

Seriously? I remember Iwata saying US is very slow in adaptation of brand new hardware, slower than Europe. It was quite some time ago, probably before 3DS' release. Mmh, I have to find that quote in the next future...

Hero

nintendo has such a problem with the 3ds. they shouldn't be selling 33% of the ytd sales in one month unless the ytd is something bonkers like 9m. i wonder if it's going to stay flat this year or if it can climb to 4m.

With Pokemon X & Y this year I think it'll be able to top 4 million. Especially if there's a price drop involved.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I submitted two columns just now for Gamasutra. One of them certainly has some data that folks in this thread might find of interest.

No idea when they'll go up, but at least one should go up tomorrow if all is right with the world.

donny2112

Today's column was about the Wii U schedule.

Astounding. Wii U's soft software totals in the face of 39 releases by mid-March makes the average very low. Now obviously NSMBU is going to take up a large amount of that depressed/ing total, so per title sales are ridiculously low. I don't know. Maybe Wii U launched with more filler/shovelware than most consoles do coming from the Wii, which would leave more sales to average across the others, but it's still low. I had high hopes for AC3 and BOII at Wii U launch since it was the most significant traditional game third-party support Nintendo had received on home consoles in probably 5 years, but they apparently aren't (relatively) lighting up the charts. Still think that was somewhat due to poorly planned system release timing by Nintendo. They just had to have the system available by the time AC3 launched, which would make it available for BOII's release, as well, and they skipped both game launches.

I know it's a launch system, so # of systems sold is going to keep sales down, and the discussion on traditional system attach rate at launch, etc. Still, the total software sales is very low, especially considering the raw # of games already available. Nintendo simply had to make the AC3 and BOII launch dates, and they didn't. Very disappointing. Was disappointing when they announced the launch date being after those two game launches and continues to be disappointing with the apparent sales results for those two tentpole third-party releases on the system (i.e. only Zombi U > 100K as of Dec with 890K systems sold). :(

guek

Banned
Astounding. Wii U's soft software totals in the face of 39 releases by mid-March makes the average very low.

Eh? Like with almost everything about wii u's performance, it looks like it's smack dab in the middle, if not slightly above the average, of the historical range.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I can't believe we're still just on Update 2.

crying-indian1.jpg

Remember when we didn't even need updates?

CTLance

Aw man, I wish I had as much time as in ye olden NPD days. I just got done with reading through the thread.

Ho. Lee. Carp.

When's the jvm special NPD review time with maybe possibly more numbahs™ again? I don't even remember which site it was on... kinda dropped off the gaming planet for a year or so.

Gawd, I wish we had oldschool NPD data. My inner Nintendo fanboy would probably compress itself into a tiny ball of anguish, hatred and crystallized pessimism. That really doesn't look great. Sure, it's not terrible, but the 3DS is suffering, the Wii is kinda eating into Wii U territory (the "HD twins" too, ofc) - what little Wii U territory there is, anyway. There's only so many times one can get away with an ambassador program.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Due to holiday in U.S. my column was bumped to Tuesday. Sorry.

Here's a graph not in tomorrow's column, just for fun.

3eSVUEO.png

Hero

Due to holiday in U.S. my column was bumped to Tuesday. Sorry.

Here's a graph not in tomorrow's column, just for fun.

3eSVUEO.png

I know it might not be available or entirely accurate but is there anyway we have sourcing or numbers on how digital revenue is doing? I know it's probably not enough to make up the difference but I think it would at least paint a better picture.

I know it might not be available or entirely accurate but is there anyway we have sourcing or numbers on how digital revenue is doing? I know it's probably not enough to make up the difference but I think it would at least paint a better picture.

The rise and fall there likely mirrors Nintendo's big DS and Wii boom and decline more than digital sales' impact, though of course that contributes to the fall. I'd also say this year's steeper decline is mostly the fault of the overdue next gen systems.

Looks like expanded market that Wii brough is now gone and we are back to core gamer dominated enviroment.

Big parts of the CoD/sports game audience are equally casual, just a different category. The mainstream is anything, but certainly not hobby gamer orientated with so little variety.

Top Bottom