• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD December 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Xbox 360, All Nintendo Hardware, NSMB Wii U]

dionysus

Yaldog
Yeah. Was in TRU for Black Friday browsing while waiting for the line to go down, and saw toddler-targeted holders for iPads. I had the same double-take you did. "I thought these things were pretty expensive, and they're giving them to toddlers to play with?" I can understand the idea. Toddler-focused apps are available, so instead of buying a dedicated toy for $20, buy an app that's basically the same concept but more fancy and $0.99-$4.99 and interchangeable with other $0.99-$4.99 toddler-focused apps. But the idea of buying a multi-hundred dollar tablet to do so just seems out of whack for me. I realize I'm a bit behind the times (though I do try to read up on stuff a lot), so maybe it's just us old fogies that it doesn't make sense to. *shrugs*

They are in the 0-12 month aisle. Apparently kids are never too young for an ipad.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I submitted my first column tonight. No idea when it'll go up, since editors have to read it over first, but hopefully tomorrow.

It's on hardware.

Now I'm going to relax with an actual video game for a bit. *sigh*

Miles X

Column is up if anyone cares:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...dware_in_2012_Winners_losers_and_retirees.php

I'll post my December estimates in a bit. Sorry.

Great article, well done!

'I actually hope that Nintendo ends the retail presence for the Wii this year, since it really needs to focus its resources on the system's successor, the Wii U. However, Nintendo's bundles and price moves at the end of 2012 leave it an open question of whether the company is really done with this system.'

I honestly expect the Wii to be discontinued early 2014 if not before. US are just slightly under 50% of their WW sales now Japan has completely declined almost to death. And it looks like they'll ship 4m WW this year. At that rate they're gonna be lucky to ship 2m WW this year, unless they pull something magical out of the bag it's not gonna overtake PS1, and will barely drag itself over the 100m mark.

What a figure to reach though.

So whatever happened to when NPD used to post full numbers? Why are gaming numbers so hard to get when there are dozens of websites dedicated to reporting movie and music sales on a weekly basis :s

Good article jvm, thanks. I've always believed PS3/360 prices were always the biggest factor in userbase expansion. It was clear that once Wii support dropped off there was nowhere to go but up for the other two consoles. Its just a shame that Nintendo didn't come more prepared for the Wii U after leaving the Wii to dwindle for so long. I think they're just gouging reception for the Wii U at this point and they're more concerned for the upcoming generation against the PS4/720. Either way, Nintendo will do all they can regarding the Wii U, its far too early to predict anything, and besides NOE, the Wii U has been doing decently. Europe has always been the slowest to adopt new trends/hardware anyway, so its not surprising to see the most expensive console launch to low fan fare.

One thing for sure, Nintendo needs to have day and date launches of multiplatform games with the Wii U. Another generation of "Nintendo games only console" is not gonna help them one bit, especially when the system is now capable of receiving such ports.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good article jvm, thanks. I've always believed PS3/360 prices were always the biggest factor in userbase expansion. It was clear that once Wii support dropped off there was nowhere to go but up for the other two consoles. Its just a shame that Nintendo didn't come more prepared for the Wii U after leaving the Wii to dwindle for so long. I think they're just gouging reception for the Wii U at this point and they're more concerned for the upcoming generation against the PS4/720. Either way, Nintendo will do all they can regarding the Wii U, its far too early to predict anything, and besides NOE, the Wii U has been doing decently. Europe has always been the slowest to adopt new trends/hardware anyway, so its not surprising to see the most expensive console launch to low fan fare.

IIRC, it's US where brand new hardware trends are adopted slower. Europe is quicker actually.

IIRC, it's US where brand new hardware trends are adopted slower. Europe is quicker actually.
Aye, I remember Iwata talking bout the adoption rates for all the regions and IIRC it was Europe? Either way, both regions are pretty slow to adopt new trends.

Also just to add, Nintendo moved a combined 2.6M of hardware this December, thats more than even last years December. They're not as doomed as people make it out to be, but there's still plenty of work to be done, especially with the Wii U. But I know of all things, its Nintendo's first party efforts on home consoles that are the most effective, I simply can't wait to see what Nintendo has scheduled for the console.

farnham

Banned
Great article, well done!

'I actually hope that Nintendo ends the retail presence for the Wii this year, since it really needs to focus its resources on the system's successor, the Wii U. However, Nintendo's bundles and price moves at the end of 2012 leave it an open question of whether the company is really done with this system.'

I honestly expect the Wii to be discontinued early 2014 if not before. US are just slightly under 50% of their WW sales now Japan has completely declined almost to death. And it looks like they'll ship 4m WW this year. At that rate they're gonna be lucky to ship 2m WW this year, unless they pull something magical out of the bag it's not gonna overtake PS1, and will barely drag itself over the 100m mark.

What a figure to reach though.
i fully expect them to have wiimini available world wide. they will probably not market it seriously but for the lower price segment it will be there

Miles X

i fully expect them to have wiimini available world wide. they will probably not market it seriously but for the lower price segment it will be there

I'd be amazed if they bothered wasting their time for what will be 1 - 2 mill units. Natural decline will see 50% shaved off this year, let alone PS4, 720, Cheaper WiiU, Cheaper PS3 and 360. They're just the final nails in the coffin, the thing has just catapulted to its grave.

Reminds me of that banned Xbox advert.

I'd be amazed if they bothered wasting their time for what will be 1 - 2 mill units. Natural decline will see 50% shaved off this year, let alone PS4, 720, Cheaper WiiU, Cheaper PS3 and 360. They're just the final nails in the coffin, the thing has just catapulted to its grave.

Reminds me of that banned Xbox advert.
Yeah far too late for this to come out at this point. Just more brand confusion than its worth tbh.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Not official. My personal estimates. Rounded to nearest multiple of 5K (for figures less than a million) and 10K (for figures greater than a million).
If fortune is with us, we can all check for ourselves if/when Nintendo releases 3rd quarter sales figures in the forms of graphs.

Xbox 360 = 1,400,000
3DS = 1,250,000
PS3 = 635,000
Wii = 470,000
NDS = 470,000
Wii U = 465,000
PSV = 250,000
PSP = 45,000
PS2 = 0

If donny2112 finds these acceptable, he can use them for the full-year prediction thread.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Both Wii and DS are Retirees but they sold more than VITA, the new kid, for the full year. :(

And PSP is not even counted as Retiree?
Full year PSP < December PSV, at least in my estimates. Even if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure I'm close. Also, PSV only had 11 months... you could round up to a year!

I also didn't include the PS2. ;)

Column is up if anyone cares:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...dware_in_2012_Winners_losers_and_retirees.php

I'll post my December estimates in a bit. Sorry.
I care. Great article. I think you missed an m here though:

If that happens, and the publishers can continue to produce software that millions of consumers will want, then there is no reason to expect that the traditional industry will continue to exist in some for(m) for many years to come.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can you total up your estimates each month to get a YTD for 3DS, 360, PS3, PSV, WII, and WIU? Yep, will be using your estimates for the 2012 results thread. :)
Yes. Here we go:

[360] 5.32mm
[PS3] 3.41mm
[PSV] 1.28mm
[WII] 1.96mm
[WIU] 0.890mm
[3DS] 3.64mm

DrWong

Yes. Here we go:

[360] 5.32mm
[PS3] 3.41mm
[PSV] 1.28mm
[WII] 1.96mm
[WIU] 0.890mm
[3DS] 3.64mm
Wowowow! I'm reading the 2012 prediction thread and most of the predictions were way to optimistic, and mine first. Or I'm reading it wrong?

Meier

I can't believe we're still just on Update 2.

crying-indian1.jpg

Top Bottom