• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lix2k3 said:
I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect. Games like Zelda TP, while interesting, just don't do my $2,000 HDTV justice.
too bad

Jammy

Banned
ylvis_ said:
Why?

When a kid goes into a store with his father, looking for a console, he see very few licenced movie-to-game titles for the PS3 and 360, but a heck lot for Wii (Happy Feet, Spongebob, Open Season, Ice-Age 2, Chicken Little, Barnyard, Any Bully etc). What console do you think he will choose? I'm not saying all of them are great games and that he for sure are going to pick the Wii, but damn these licenced games actually sell a lot.
And we all know how popular these animated movies are.

Another thing is that 90% of the people here on GAF don't even play these titles, so how can you be against them?

Anyway, it was just an example, nothing more.

This is true. The PS3 will never get the support that the younger audience likes. It's just not financially sound to make a game like that on the system and add that to the fact that that the userbase that would buy those games isn't the type to go throwing $600 away on a console. These are the mothers and fathers buying the systems and they're going to see that the cheapest console you can buy has all the games their kids need.

justchris

lix2k3 said:
Wow. No, I don't want a console with 1999 graphics to be the most successful. I'm sorry. I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect. Games like Zelda TP, while interesting, just don't do my $2,000 HDTV justice. I hope the console war ends in a 33, 33, 33 percentage pie. I want all of the console manufacturers to keep going. They all have their roles. MS needs Sony for competition and Sony needs MS. Nintendo needs to keep pushing the other two, so that we get titles like Little Big Planet, which btw (IMHO) looks more interesting as a family title than anything Nintendo has out there.

What? No. A 33/33/33 split is disastrous. That means that all 3 systems combined sold right around the same all 3 sold this generation, thus further marginalizing gaming as a pastime, and eventually killing it, in much the way pen & paper gaming has died after the flood caused by White Wolf ran it's course.

One console manufacturer taking 70, 80, even 90 percent of the market does not automatically doom the other players, as long as the a) the market continuously grows in size and b) each player still makes an overall profit. Microsoft already learned their lesson on B last generation. They could sell the same number of 360's as they sold Xboxen, and would be up profitwise, and well placed to continue into the next generation. Sony messed that B bit up, but if they can aggressively cost reduce, they can still pull out a profit by the end of this generation.

And let me say this one again, hopefully to be understood this time, money breeds competition. There are very few major developers/publishers in the gaming market, because the market is small, it's a niche market. Nintendo doesn't want that, and right now, they have the best chance to expand beyond that. Microsoft just doesn't have the development clout for it, and Sony's priced themselves out of it for at least a year, probably 2 or more. Nintendo is ideally placed to capture and hold the mainstream, and drag in enough additional customers that everyone (this includes Microsoft & Sony) makes more money than they dreamed possible last generation. Competition will not disappear just because one company falls by the wayside. If Sony, Microsoft, or even Nintendo were to stop making consoles, do you really, honestly think that companies like IBM, AMD, Apple, Google, or Intel wouldn't look at a market that makes something on the order of $50 billion a year in revenue and go, "Hmmmm....now that (Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft) is gone, there's a good 10% of fat sacks of fat sacks of cash that could be ours, all for the low low price of a custom-fitted, EA sized moneyhat. Well hey, it's not like we couldn't at least do better than Sega."

Seriously, the only reason no one is really making an effort to enter the gaming market is because you have three incredibly huge competitors to deal with. Nintendo, who pretty much reinvented the market the first time it crash, and despite repeated blunders, strong competition, and serious image problems still hasn't stopped making incredible profits. Sony, a multinational, multibillion dollar corporation who, until recently was the King of the gaming industry. And Microsoft, a company with pockets so deep they can practically buy their way into any industry...which is exactly what they did with the Xbox.

I guarantee you, the moment any one of those 3 companies even looks like they're dropping out of the market, companies who would never touch gaming before are going to be looking at a large pile of money just sitting there, waiting for someone to slide in and fill the missing niche.

I don't expect anything like that to happen, but if it does, it isn't going to make competition disappear, in fact, it's likely to generate more.

lix2k3 said:
Wow. No, I don't want a console with 1999 graphics to be the most successful. I'm sorry. I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect. Games like Zelda TP, while interesting, just don't do my $2,000 HDTV justice.

So you just got into video games, right? Graphics have finally caught up to your expectations?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
ylvis_ said:
Why?

When a kid goes into a store with his father, looking for a console, he see very few licenced movie-to-game titles for the PS3 and 360, but a heck lot for Wii (Happy Feet, Spongebob, Open Season, Ice-Age 2, Chicken Little, Barnyard, Any Bully etc). What console do you think he will choose? I'm not saying all of them are great games and that he for sure are going to pick the Wii, but damn these licenced games actually sell a lot.
And we all know how popular these animated movies are.

Another thing is that 90% of the people here on GAF don't even play these titles, so how can you be against them?

Anyway, it was just an example, nothing more.
Actually, animated movie tie in game sales have been horrible on Wii. Worst selling third party titles.

lix2k3 said:
Wow. No, I don't want a console with 1999 graphics to be the most successful. I'm sorry. I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect. Games like Zelda TP, while interesting, just don't do my $2,000 HDTV justice. I hope the console war ends in a 33, 33, 33 percentage pie. I want all of the console manufacturers to keep going. They all have their roles. MS needs Sony for competition and Sony needs MS. Nintendo needs to keep pushing the other two, so that we get titles like Little Big Planet, which btw (IMHO) looks more interesting as a family title than anything Nintendo has out there.
So doing your $2000 expense is your main concern? Little big planet probably looks very interesting to you but it ain't that good of a family title I'm sure.

xsarien

daedsiluap
lix2k3 said:
Wow. No, I don't want a console with 1999 graphics to be the most successful. I'm sorry. I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect. Games like Zelda TP, while interesting, just don't do my $2,000 HDTV justice.

Since all you care about is graphics, you should just forego gaming all together and get one of those screensavery DVDs they sell at museum stores that trendy clubs and swingers parties have playing to set a mood.

They're cheaper, and looks fantastic in HDMI.

Jiggy

lix2k3 said:
Wow. No, I don't want a console with 1999 graphics to be the most successful. I'm sorry. I like to play games like Gears of War and Lost Planet and soon Mass Effect.
And that's fine. I'm just saying it's a short-term analysis. Even if 360 and PS3 had also stuck with "1999" graphics (...maybe 1999 high-end PC graphics?), Gears of War, etc. would still have been made eventually--it would just be a one-generation delay. For me, such a delay is worthwhile if it expands the market. For you, it isn't, because you want the high-end games right now.

lix2k3 said:

You can't tell if LBP is a family title by looking at it. I'm almost certain that Wii Sports will have more mainstream appeal in every way. LBP is just demonstrating a new path in graphics. Wii Sports' appeal lies in the controls.

quest

Not Banned from OT
justchris said:
What? No. A 33/33/33 split is disastrous. That means that all 3 systems combined sold right around the same all 3 sold this generation, thus further marginalizing gaming as a pastime, and eventually killing it, in much the way pen & paper gaming has died after the flood caused by White Wolf ran it's course.

One console manufacturer taking 70, 80, even 90 percent of the market does not automatically doom the other players, as long as the a) the market continuously grows in size and b) each player still makes an overall profit. Microsoft already learned their lesson on B last generation. They could sell the same number of 360's as they sold Xboxen, and would be up profitwise, and well placed to continue into the next generation. Sony messed that B bit up, but if they can aggressively cost reduce, they can still pull out a profit by the end of this generation.

And let me say this one again, hopefully to be understood this time, money breeds competition. There are very few major developers/publishers in the gaming market, because the market is small, it's a niche market. Nintendo doesn't want that, and right now, they have the best chance to expand beyond that. Microsoft just doesn't have the development clout for it, and Sony's priced themselves out of it for at least a year, probably 2 or more. Nintendo is ideally placed to capture and hold the mainstream, and drag in enough additional customers that everyone (this includes Microsoft & Sony) makes more money than they dreamed possible last generation. Competition will not disappear just because one company falls by the wayside. If Sony, Microsoft, or even Nintendo were to stop making consoles, do you really, honestly think that companies like IBM, AMD, Apple, Google, or Intel wouldn't look at a market that makes something on the order of $50 billion a year in revenue and go, "Hmmmm....now that (Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft) is gone, there's a good 10% of fat sacks of fat sacks of cash that could be ours, all for the low low price of a custom-fitted, EA sized moneyhat. Well hey, it's not like we couldn't at least do better than Sega."

Seriously, the only reason no one is really making an effort to enter the gaming market is because you have three incredibly huge competitors to deal with. Nintendo, who pretty much reinvented the market the first time it crash, and despite repeated blunders, strong competition, and serious image problems still hasn't stopped making incredible profits. Sony, a multinational, multibillion dollar corporation who, until recently was the King of the gaming industry. And Microsoft, a company with pockets so deep they can practically buy their way into any industry...which is exactly what they did with the Xbox.

I guarantee you, the moment any one of those 3 companies even looks like they're dropping out of the market, companies who would never touch gaming before are going to be looking at a large pile of money just sitting there, waiting for someone to slide in and fill the missing niche.

I don't expect anything like that to happen, but if it does, it isn't going to make competition disappear, in fact, it's likely to generate more.

I am sory but a 33/33/33 is much better for gamers than the 70/15/15. You know what 70% marketshare leads to? Oh ya 599 dollar consoles or in the past the big N controlling content. Who has the billions to enter this market if anyone drops out? It is not a cheap industry to get into and it gets more and more expensive every year. You are talking big money for R&D of hardware the costs are just getting started. Then you have to spend big money to make tools for developers. Then you have to spend even more to buy and fund the start up of game studios for first and second party development. There are no company's out there who can afford to do all this if anyone drops out.

What is happening right now is the best for gamers. If the PS3 continues to tank there is no chance in hell another company will ever try and double prices in 1 generation again.

lix2k3 said:

Why do you hate God of War 2?

quest said:
I am sory but a 33/33/33 is much better for gamers than the 70/15/15. You know what 70% marketshare leads to? Oh ya 599 dollar consoles or in the past the big N controlling content. Who has the billions to enter this market if anyone drops out? It is not a cheap industry to get into and it gets more and more expensive every year. You are talking big money for R&D of hardware the costs are just getting started. Then you have to spend big money to make tools for developers. Then you have to spend even more to buy and fund the start up of game studios for first and second party development. There are no company's out there who can afford to do all this if anyone drops out.

What is happening right now is the best for gamers. If the PS3 continues to tank there is no chance in hell another company will ever try and double prices in 1 generation again.

What's happening right now will not result with a 33/33/33 split.

justchris

quest said:

The bolded statement is only true if total worldwide sales for PS3+360+Wii > PS2+Xbox+GC. An overall larger market is better no matter what the split between individual players is. A larger market means more people to buy games, means more games to be sold, means more genres that can thrive, means more developers/publishers can afford to make games.

Right now I'm rooting for Nintendo because Nintendo seems to be the only one truly interested in expanding the entire market (as opposed to Microsoft, who is only trying to expand their customer base).

As for your second point, I already listed companies who have the money, the experience with hardware, software or both, and who are already spending billions of dollars yearly on R&D, in some cases for applications/hardware that will make it into the next generation game systems anyway. Seriously, give me one good reason IBM or AMD/ATI or Apple couldn't pick up the market segment that, say, Nintendo dropped if they somehow completely cease to make gaming hardware.

Also, the big N controlling content was not a result of their marketshare. It was a result of the failure of Atari and the gaming crash. It was Atari's lack of control over 3rd parties that resulted in Nintendo's draconian approach and total control, because they wanted to be successful. Their mistake was not realizing that those policies ceased to be necessary about halfway through the lifespan of the SNES, and Sony came in with a different strategy that fit the current market better and took their crown away.

linsivvi

Nintendo is needed to keep MS and Sony in check, but you don't want it to completely dominate either, perhaps a 50-60% share is about right. If MS and Sony can get 33% share each for this gen, they'll think that they can get away with their current strategy. They'd keep up with their arms race, and that means next gen machines will remain in the price range of $400+. I'm all for advancing technology but at a certain point you have to draw the line. Most people here would pay at least that much for a console, but most casual gamers don't, and a shrinking market is just not good for anyone at all.

lix2k3 said:

i can relate to that post, altough i don´t want a perfect split of 33,3. i love old gen consoles, but after six or seven years playing that, (starting with the DC) i also want more tech, more physics, more AI, more power, so i hope the wii does something different:

broadem the market reaching out to non-gamers, while PS3 and 360 continues to expand the traditional market. that way noboby loses. if in the end of the cicle, wii sells 60million, PS3 80m and 360 50m i would say we had a very good generation, growing both in tech and in reach

andthebeatgoeson

Actually, an equal split seems like a bad idea. I don't want either of the companies to get complacent. I need one to lose bad to rectify their mistakes. All of them are trying to screw us one way or another. I want them all to fear failure.

List of mistakes:
-MS thinks it's okay to charge $200 for a 120GB HD. Sony showed you can easily hook up a USB HD or even swap out one that you like.
-Sony thinks it's okay to charge $600 for a console. That needs to change and change quick.
-Nintendo can do no wrong. Sike, those bastards think it's okay to marginally improve the technology and still sell for more than $200. We've seen bigger leaps in technology over all other generations. They deliberately chose a small form factor over tech. And there is evidence that they are selling at a massive profit. I wish we could prove that right/wrong.

vpance

This would be cool too

VENN.GIF

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
linsivvi said:
Nintendo is needed to keep MS and Sony in check, but you don't want it to completely dominate either, perhaps a 50-60% share is about right. If MS and Sony can get 33% share each for this gen, they'll think that they can get away with their current strategy. They'd keep up with their arms race, and that means next gen machines will remain in the price range of $400+. I'm all for advancing technology but at a certain point you have to draw the line. Most people here would pay at least that much for a console, but most casual gamers don't, and a shrinking market is just not good for anyone at all.
yup yup

donny2112

February 2007 NPD Prediction Results (All but XBX and GCN)

1. pilonv1 - 218K
2. Chibbi Brady - 260K
3. Javy007 - 283K
4. donny2112 - 290K
5. DayShallCome - 298K
6. argon - 300K

Important note for future predictors:

1-23 in the rankings all had one thing in common. They all had predictions for the 7 main consoles. 68-97 (there were 97 entries :eek: ) also had one thing in common. None of them had complete predictions for all seven consoles.

Get the hint? ;)

Congratulations, pilonv1! :D

vasuba

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Is there a point in going through this 45 page thread or is it just full of nothing?

for the most part the hardcore sony fans stayed the hell out of dodge so its not as fun as it could have been but theres a few gems.

Fuzzy said:
Is there a point in going through this 45 page thread or is it just full of nothing?

Heheh, I was thinking the same thing. I stopped at page 13 and was wondering if I should keep going. I did subscribe to this thread, so whenever I get bored, I could always start reading again from page 13. ;)

ylvis_

Banned
elostyle said:
Actually, animated movie tie in game sales have been horrible on Wii. Worst selling third party titles.

I know, it's a little ironic, but I think the reason is because most Wii owners now are either Nintendo fans or hardcore gamers, and they tend to not buy games like Cars and Spongebob :p

jko

you know now that i think about it more, i don't think Sony really cares about the situation. they came in during the 90's not expecting to beat the N64, they probably would've been happy just being the 'other' gaming machine...never knew it took the world by storm. as far as i think Sony's concerned, as long as they're in the game, they care less if they're dead last. much like all the other hardware/products Sony produces, as long as they're making money, they won't give a damn.

jko said:
you know now that i think about it more, i don't think Sony really cares about the situation. they came in during the 90's not expecting to beat the N64, they probably would've been happy just being the 'other' gaming machine...never knew it took the world by storm. as far as i think Sony's concerned, as long as they're in the game, they care less if they're dead last. much like all the other hardware/products Sony produces, as long as they're making money, they won't give a damn.

That's probably my favourite spin of the thread. Sony want to make money, you know? And unless they sell a large number of consoles, they're gonna carry on bleeding.

Kafel

Banned
jko said:

That's why you are a junior.

jko

Kafel said:
and proud.
TheGreatDave said:
That's probably my favourite spin of the thread. Sony want to make money, you know? And unless they sell a large number of consoles, they're gonna carry on bleeding.
no really, take a look at last-gen. Nintendo was dead last and guess what, I don't think it bothered them all that much at the end as they were raking in the $$$...not to say they wouldn't mind not being dead last.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Kafel said:

I'd rather go back to being a junior than keep the title that someone with no dignity gave me. :mad:

Anyways, I hope that this helps convince the industry that no matter how much tech you put into consoles, they're still toys, and there's a price limit to how much a lot of people are willing to pay for toys.

Vyer

All of you panicking about 'I want HD graphics to come in first!' would only have legitimate complaints if coming in 2nd (or 3rd) means you fail completely and fade into oblivion.

Nintendo was third last gen...they didn't just disappear.

I still say this 'but if Nintendo comes in first then gaming is DOOMED!!!' talk is a load of BS.

And the 360 software is still doing pretty damn well.

donny2112

jko said:
no really, take a look at last-gen. Nintendo was dead last and guess what, I don't think it bothered them all that much at the end as they were raking in the $$$...not to say they wouldn't mind not being dead last.

Nintendo's business model has been to make money on the console and have a place to put their games where they make even more money. Third-parties have slowly grown to have a larger meaning to Nintendo, but their main money comes from the console and their own games.

Sony's business model has been to sell the console for a loss, at first, build up overwhelming marketshare, and rake in third party royalties.

You cannot say that Sony is just fine being dead last, because Nintendo still made profit in that position. Sony's model is polar opposite Nintendo's model.

Joe Molotov

jko said:

The GameCube may have been in last place, but how many multi-million sellers did it have that were developed by Nintendo? I'll give you a hint: It was a buttload.

And besides, if Nintendo weren't bothered about being in last place, they wouldn't have done what they did with the Wii.

ylvis_ said:
I know, it's a little ironic, but I think the reason is because most Wii owners now are either Nintendo fans or hardcore gamers, and they tend to not buy games like Cars and Spongebob :p

Or maybe those games have traditionally never sold well. It might even be the fact that those games receive considerably less marketing.

Rancid Mildew said:
Or maybe those games have traditionally never sold well. It might even be the fact that those games receive considerably less marketing.

You think Cars and Spongebob never traditionally sell well?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
This is a little off-topic from what going on but reading this thread made me think...

I've find it strange that in the same camp of posters, there is a distain for the Wii because its "1999 technology" yet acceptence (and even dependence) that the 360 and PS3 will have an extended life cycles well beyond the normal 5-6 years. If you bought a Gamecube at launch and now a Wii, it would have costed you less than a PS3 and little more than a 360 and you'd get a 10+ years life cycle, a power-boost, a new controller, and expanded functions.

This why I don't believe that any of these console will go past 2011, because there will be too much whining if they try.

ylvis_

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:

Oh, you're wrong there bud. Cars for example, 3 million copies sold world wide. The Spongebob games sells a buttload all the time. I think there's a Spongebob game on the Cube that has sold over 400k in the US alone, and much more on the PS2. So these titles sells. Happy Feet sold over 2 million world wide uptill December the 31st. There's also a buttload of other animated movies-to-game that has sold really well.

Tobor

1999 graphics huh? I'm pretty sure if you saw Super Mario Galaxy screenshots in 1999, you would have crapped your pants.

jko said:
Yes, because bussiness has nothing to do with making money and maximalising profit.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Vyer said:
All of you panicking about 'I want HD graphics to come in first!' would only have legitimate complaints if coming in 2nd (or 3rd) means you fail completely and fade into oblivion.

Nintendo was third last gen...they didn't just disappear.

I still say this 'but if Nintendo comes in first then gaming is DOOMED!!!' talk is a load of BS.

And the 360 software is still doing pretty damn well.
Do you remember all of the Nintendo going third party speculations from not so long ago? Sadly, I think far too many really believe that it's "#1 or d00med". Considering that the group is now facing 3rd place is the same group that so loved spouting off that nonsense in the past, they probably actually do believe in it. In time, they'll be forced to learn better.

I love the sales pattern of Wii software. The top 10 is filled with the exclusives (or near exclusives) that take advantage of the controller, while the bottom 10 are the licenced crap that shouldn't sell to begin with. There are some exceptions, Activision is doing extremely well, Rampage, Spongebob and Cars are doing decent numbers. Ultimately, I think it just comes down to refferals... when you've got a dozen other OLD movie licenses, plus Wario Ware, Rayman, Elibits, Monkey Balls, and now Sonic... who is going to recommend/pick-up The Ant Bully or Barnyard?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
jko said:
and proud.

Eh, raking in cash where they were market leader (handheld) which saved their ass. Go look up the nintendo stock price history to get the idea.

donny2112

ylvis_ said:
I think there's a Spongebob game on the Cube that has sold over 400k in the US alone

I believe the Spongebob Movie game and Battle for Bikini Bottom (both nice games for kids, by the way) sold over half a million each.

vasuba

Banned
ghstwrld said:
Oh, shit. I just saw a pokemon ds commercial on u.s televison. Destruction imminent. Save yourselves.

Yep the Pokebomber is inbound ready to drop the Pokebomb. The GBA will probably finally start to lose steam. Can you imagine DS numbers when the GBA crowd finally switches due to pokemon etc?

vasuba said:
Yep the Pokebomber is inbound ready to drop the Pokebomb. The GBA will probably finally start to lose steam. Can you imagine DS numbers when the GBA crowd finally switches due to pokemon etc?
Well, they still
stupid non-risk taking Nintendo
can't produce enough DSes to fullfill demand. So - allthough there will be more DSes allocated to USA when the pokebomb drops - I doubt we'll see OMFG-numbers. Which is too bad. I would like to see the DS break sales records.

AniHawk

vasuba said:

I'm gonna take a guess and say that this is the main reason why Nintendo's not shipping a whole lot of DS Lites to NA for March. They're probably just holding them all for the Pokemon blowout (and it'd be a great start for the new FY).

vasuba

Banned
Souldriver said:
Well, they still
stupid non-risk taking Nintendo
can't produce enough DSes to fullfill demand. So - allthough there will be more DSes allocated to USA when the pokebomb drops - I doubt we'll see OMFG-numbers. Which is too bad. I would like to see the DS break sales records.

I dunno man almost 500K sold in feb with no releases of significant value. I can only imagine it would go well beyond the 500K mark

Top Bottom