• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Hardware Sales Results for February 2007

vasuba said:
I dunno man almost 500K sold in feb with no releases of significant value. I can only imagine it would go well beyond the 500K mark
Yes, I know, there will be a lot of DS Lites sold. But I just think it is too bad we won't see the full potential it has, because it will most definately sell out.
I just wish I could know how many DS Lites would be sold if there was unlimited supply. :D

When does the pokébomb hit?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Anihawk said:
April 22.

So we should make sure the PSP's grave marker is ready for that date, eh?

The inscription should say "Short but flashy life ended too early by little imaginary monsters." :lol

This is a joke, btw. ^_^

ylvis_

Banned
The thing is, Pokemon D/P actually didn't move as many DS's as we had predicted when it launched in Japan last year. The DS sold around 270k I think, the week Pokemon came out. Not bad, but a lot of people predicted over 500k DS's sold that week.

So do guys think that the same will happen in the US or will Pokemon D/P just sell a buttload of DS's?

Brak

ylvis_ said:
The thing is, Pokemon D/P actually didn't move as many DS's as we had predicted when it launched in Japan last year. The DS sold around 270k I think, the week Pokemon came out. Not bad, but a lot of people predicted over 500k DS's sold that week.

So do guys think that the same will happen in the US or will Pokemon D/P just sell a buttload of DS's?
Supply. The DS could sell a million in one week in Japan if they could find the supply.

The DS is basically encountering the same issue in NA now, so the DS will basically sell as much as they can ship.

AniHawk

ylvis_ said:

Yes. Pent-up demand + the biggest handheld franchise ever = huge sales. The GBA sold very well before Ruby/Sapphire hit 4 years ago, but once RS was released, sales jumped from over 200k a month to well over 300k a month and didn't slow down until the DS became popular.

ylvis_ said:

It was also sold out. The DS that is. It's been in a state of constant shortages for the past year and a half.

Shortages.

ylvis_

Banned
Ah, damn, I forgot the DS was at that time also supply-constrained. Oh well, I hope Nintendo ship a lot of DS's in April then, 'cause it has potensial to sell over 1 million that month.

April could be one of Nintendo's biggest months ever. Pokemon for the DS + I suspect Nintendo is holding a lot of Wii's for Super Paper Mario.

Edit: Anihawk: How has Wii shipments and DS shipments been so far this month compared to February? You work at store that sells games right?

RubberJohnny said:
You lost credibilty when you started listing movie-tie-in shovelware as reasons for owning a console.

Here's the problem with that though. I own a Wii. And I'll admit it right here and now, it's not doing it for me. Sonic, Zelda, Wii Sports, ExciteTruck. None of those games are really doing much to keep me off my Xbox 360.

HOWEVER, my wife LOVES the Wii, and she's not a big gamer. And the games she's playing? Barnyard, Open Season, Ice Age 2.

If that wasn't enough, my 2 year old son Jacob loves to play Wii Sports Baseball. And he asks to play it by telling us he wants to "Play ball......swing, throw". And he goes for the Wiimote. And knows to put his hand through the strap. Smart kid.

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOvdFAAfc8

So even though I myself don't really care much for the Wii, and my playtime on it has been limited as opposed to my 360, the fact that the rest of my family plays it like they do made it more than worth owning.

Link

The Autumn Wind
ylvis_ said:
Edit: Anihawk: How has Wii shipments and DS shipments been so far this month compared to February? You work at store that sells games right?
Not that I work at a GS/EB, but I was in one the other day checking out some stuff, and a guy asked if they had any Wii's. The clerk told him they weren't expecting any until mid-April. So either he's talking about non-reserved units, or Nintendo is seriously short-changing GS/EB.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I can't even recall how long the DS has been supply constrained in Japan. :D

Heck, the GAMES are supply constrained sometimes! :lol

Monk

Banned
StingerNLG said:
Here's the problem with that though. I own a Wii. And I'll admit it right here and now, it's not doing it for me. Sonic, Zelda, Wii Sports, ExciteTruck. None of those games are really doing much to keep me off my Xbox 360.

HOWEVER, my wife LOVES the Wii, and she's not a big gamer. And the games she's playing? Barnyard, Open Season, Ice Age 2.

If that wasn't enough, my 2 year old son Jacob loves to play Wii Sports Baseball. And he asks to play it by telling us he wants to "Play ball......swing, throw". And he goes for the Wiimote. And knows to put his hand through the strap. Smart kid.

See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOvdFAAfc8

So even though I myself don't really care much for the Wii, and my playtime on it has been limited as opposed to my 360, the fact that the rest of my family plays it like they do made it more than worth owning.

How long did you play Excite Truck for? I mean i normally dont like racing games but i love excite truck. I find it really hard to believe that someone would love Excite Truck after a couple of hours with it.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I picked up Tiger Woods for Wii in my local Toys R Us and the clerk had some interesting things to say.

They are getting about 40-50 Wii's every Sunday and they are all sold out by about 2:00. They had 9 PS3's and apparently many customers have been returning them because they are overheating.

This is the second time I've been in this past month and both clerks hated the PS3. It was like it ran over their dog or something. Doesn't mean a thing but it's interesting nonetheless.

CalMcRich

Geez, if GBA sales are still this high and retails for what? 80 US dollars? How much profit do you think they make off each one?

I wish GAF had a GBAprintsdubloons.gif

vasuba

Banned
ylvis_ said:

important to consider as well aside ffrom potential shortages is that the GBA has been dead in japan a long time. it still sells insane in US. so the GBA people are gonna be starting to switch to get thier cocain.. poke fix

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vanguardian1 said:
I can't even recall how long the DS has been supply constrained in Japan. :D

Heck, the GAMES are supply constrained sometimes! :lol

January 5th, 2006 was when the DS first sold out all through Japan. Nintendo issued a press release apologizing sincerely.

And I'm pretty sure that things were sold out on-and-off for the few months after then, at which point the DS became permanently sold out.

ylvis_

Banned
vasuba said:
important to consider as well aside ffrom potential shortages is that the GBA has been dead in japan a long time. it still sells insane in US. so the GBA people are gonna be starting to switch to get thier cocain.. poke fix

That's a good point. I think how much the DS is going to sell in April is completely influenced by how many DS's Nintendo ships.

duk said:
That's really cute man!

Heh, thanks. He saw my wife and I playing it one day and said "I try.....I try". What amazes me is that he holds onto the controller!

Monk said:
How long did you play Excite Truck for? I mean i normally dont like racing games but i love excite truck. I find it really hard to believe that someone would love Excite Truck after a couple of hours with it.

It was a couple hours. I get the whole different control thing, but I just wasn't into it like I am other racing games.

Deku

Banned
Well for the record, I don't think it will be a 33/33/33 split.

It will be more even but I think the standard snowball effect will takehold once a leader becomes clear.

donny2112 said:
February 2007 NPD Prediction Results (All but XBX and GCN)

1. pilonv1 - 218K
2. Chibbi Brady - 260K
3. Javy007 - 283K
4. donny2112 - 290K
5. DayShallCome - 298K
6. argon - 300K

Important note for future predictors:

1-23 in the rankings all had one thing in common. They all had predictions for the 7 main consoles. 68-97 (there were 97 entries :eek: ) also had one thing in common. None of them had complete predictions for all seven consoles.

Get the hint? ;)

Congratulations, pilonv1! :D

DS Killed me. And PS2 hurt. Other than that I was pretty damn good.

My GBA, XBX, GCN were within 2k
My 360 & Wii were within 10k each
PSP I was off by 15k
Those 6 platforms I was only off by 36k.

PS3 I had lower than most (160k) and was off by 32k
PS2 I lowballed and got hurt by 65k
DS KILLED me for 245k discrepancy out of my 378k total discrepancy.

I had heard that DS was still supply constrained to a large extent.

DAMN YOU DS!!!

Deku

Banned
How would DS predictions kill you? Guesstimates aside, the January numbers were clearly the result of a shortage. Only the most deluded thought it reflected actual demand.

Unless you knew February was still going to be supply constrained, it would be a little obvious to expect a big jump in sales and that is excactly what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.

Tobor

Deku said:
Well for the record, I don't think it will be a 33/33/33 split.

It will be more even but I think the standard snowball effect will takehold once a leader becomes clear.

I'm thinking more a 45/40/15 myself. Nintendo, MS(either way in a virtual tie for first), Sony in the rear.

GhaleonEB

Deku said:
How would DS predictions kill you? Guesstimates aside, the January numbers were clearly the result of a shortage. Only the most deluded thought it reflected actual demand.

Unless you knew February was still going to be supply constrained, it would be a little obvious to expect a big jump in sales and that is excactly what happened. It's not exactly rocket science.
Almost no one expected half a million. January was a five-week month, February was a four week month. Increasing your prediction a bit from one month to the next was actually betting on a good increase in supply. Most people raised their estimate from January's actual. But to 500k? In 28 days? Absolutely nuts.

Deku said:
How would DS kill you? Granted I made no predictions but the January numbers were clearly the result of a shortage. Only the most deluded thought it reflected actual demand.

I still couldn't find the damn thing in stores in February and I was dilligent in my channel checks. I guess it could have even been a good big bigger.

Tobor

How is Nintendo supposed to figure out where the market saturation point is on either system when every single unit instantly sells? It has to be a nightmare trying to predict where the back end of demand actually is.

Tobor said:
How is Nintendo supposed to figure out where the market saturation point is on either system when every single unit instantly sells? It has to be a nightmare trying to predict where the back end of demand actually is.

Sounds like a very pleasant nightmare.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sonycowboy said:
I still couldn't find the damn thing in stores in February and I was dilligent in my channel checks. I guess it could have even been a good big bigger.

amazon.com seems to have them every once in a while...that's how I got my black one last week.

Chiggs

I wonder when N'gai Croal will comment on Sony's shitty sales; or will he just rant and rave about the European launch?

Deku

Banned
sonycowboy said:

You're right. I'm not saying it was plentiful, I just think selling out is not the same as not having anything to sell at all, which is what happened in January and NOA said so. :)

AniHawk

ylvis_ said:
Edit: Anihawk: How has Wii shipments and DS shipments been so far this month compared to February?

We got a shipment in two Thursdays ago, and that was meant to be our only shipment until the end of March or for March period. 3 Wiis, 5 DS Lites (2 white, 2 black, 1 pink). We get less Nintendo stuff than most chains though. I walked into a Best Buy early March and found about a dozen Wii remotes when our store had none (I was in there for something other than to see their stock of Wii remotes :p).

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
So conservative Nintendo is content with a near constant sellout of the DS instead of running the risk of overproducing the system? Doesn't this policy hinder their ability to allocate large quantities of units to ship on certain dates throughout the three different territories? That is, they can stagger their game releases to benefit from certain country's holidays and such by distributing more units to one territory for short bursts, but they are unable to shift enough units for sustained global demand, such as Christmas.

Such a cute video, stinger. Post more videos please! That one was too short. I wanna see your wifey do it too.

Damn, April is gonna be a big Nintendo month. Pokebomb indeed. Should I even mention that D/P is probably one of the more popular Pokemon games so far? It's almost at the same level as the original ones.

sonycowboy said:
DS Killed me. And PS2 hurt. Other than that I was pretty damn good.

My GBA, XBX, GCN were within 2k
My 360 & Wii were within 10k each
PSP I was off by 15k
Those 6 platforms I was only off by 36k.

PS3 I had lower than most (160k) and was off by 32k
PS2 I lowballed and got hurt by 65k
DS KILLED me for 245k discrepancy out of my 378k total discrepancy.

I had heard that DS was still supply constrained to a large extent.

DAMN YOU DS!!!

You should be banned from participating anyway since you get insider knowledge! Unfair!:lol

Barf_the_Mog said:
So conservative Nintendo is content with a near constant sellout of the DS instead of running the risk of overproducing the system? Doesn't this policy hinder their ability to allocate large quantities of units to ship on certain dates throughout the three different territories? That is, they can stagger their game releases to benefit from certain country's holidays and such by distributing more units to one territory for short bursts, but they are unable to shift enough units for sustained global demand, such as Christmas.

That doesn't really matter if all your stuff is still selling out for a prolonged period of time even with very large supply. People are obviously not losing interest even if they get frustrated looking for one and can't find them on the shelves.

LM4sure

Banned
I've been out of town and just saw this. Wow! PS3 is not doing well at all. I thought the Wii would have done a bit better too. Must be due to supply constraints...

chibcicylist said:
Such a cute video, stinger. Post more videos please! That one was too short. I wanna see your wifey do it too.

I'm taking a chance and assuming you weren't poking mean-spirited fun at my family. :) That said he does have the attention span of a 2 year old, so getting much more than that wasn't very easy.

My wife on the other hand would simply kill me and video tape THAT for Youtube rather than let me film her and put her up there. :D

KINGMOKU

Tobor said:
1999 graphics huh? I'm pretty sure if you saw Super Mario Galaxy screenshots in 1999, you would have crapped your pants.
See, none of the faboy jackoff stuff bothers me. It's asinine hyperbole that does. "1999 graphics" is such a ****ing stupid-ass statement to make, I'll switch it around.

I am so glad Nintendo is stomping a mud-hole into Microsoft, and Sony's ass, becuase if I had to put up with using the same ****ing controll scheme, that I've been using since 1994, I would have quit gaming. Thank god a company as forward thinking as Nintendo has taken the riens, and actually taken the time to upgrade the most important aspect of gaming, the controll, to the next level. Had this not been the case, can you imagine still swinging a bat in baseball with an analog stick, or button press?!?!?! Pathetic.

You see, by this example, the numbnuts out there, who say dumbass things about the Wii, can see just how stupid there statements are by contrast/comparison.

It doesnt matter if the Wii wins this console race by a massive margin. In 5 years, what seemed like a sure thing in Nintendo making the Wii2, could turn out to be something different, AND Nintendo could fall flat on thier faces. In this industry, unique from all others, you start from scratch every 5 years. You ever know whats going to happen.

SoVos20

Banned
Looks like wii supply issues could be over. I went to game stop today, and noticed they had at least 5 wiis available. The other day, when I was at best buy I say at least 20 wiis in a big pile.

KINGMOKU

SoVos20 said:
Looks like wii supply issues could be over. I went to game stop today, and noticed they had at least 5 wiis available. The other day, when I was at best buy I say at least 20 wiis in a big pile.
:lol I'm sure they did. See, in your universe anything is possible.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Several times over the last year there have been announcements that they've increased production by several hundred thousand each month. They haven't been doing nothing, and should now be at the point of producing 30 million in a year. Is it a problem for Christmas? Well, I thought it would be last year, but they still sold much more of it than any other system, so it could've been worse.

Souldriver said:
And when does NPD stop tracking April? In other words: how many days of sales will be counted into the sales numbers?
I believe this is how things go for the rest of the year:

Mar: March 4 - April 7
Apr: April 8 - May 5
May: May 6 - June 2
June: June 3 - July 7
Jul: July 8 - August 4
Aug: August 5 - September 1
Sep: September 2 - October 6
Oct: October 7 - November 3
Nov: November 4 - December 1
Dec: December 2 - January 5

Is that right? It seems really weird to have an entire week of April in the March period and an entire week of July in the June period, but I don't see where I've made a mistake.

Anyway, if I'm right there then Pokémon D/P will be out for a full half of the tracking period, 14 days.

SoVos20 said:
Hey, SoVos20 is back. Interesting times.

Zynx

Those who think PS3 will suddenly rise due to HDTV adoption or graphics differential truly don't understand why the masses are buying and not buying. I'll revisit these posts from now 3 years in the future.

SoVos20 said:
You're the most credible poster in the thread. I believe you!

KINGMOKU

SoVos20 said:
Know what? Screw this. I challange you to go back, and take pictures to prove it. I could care less if you did or you didnt, I just want to see if your capable of telling the truth.

Your posts are so crazy, and filled with insanity, I want to see these, "Wii's in the wild" with my own eyes.

Now to wait to see what his reply is...

SoVos20 said:

:lol You'll last long.

donny2112 said:

1. pilonv1 - 218K
2. Chibbi Brady - 260K
3. Javy007 - 283K
4. donny2112 - 290K
5. DayShallCome - 298K
6. argon - 300K

1-23 in the rankings all had one thing in common. They all had predictions for the 7 main consoles. 68-97 (there were 97 entries :eek: ) also had one thing in common. None of them had complete predictions for all seven consoles.

Get the hint? ;)

Can you please substitute my DS prediction for my Xbox prediction?

I nailed Xbox but failed horribly with the DS :(

Oh and axe my PS2 for GC. I nailed GC as well.

(Gap closing FTW)

donny2112 said:

1. pilonv1 - 218K
2. Chibbi Brady - 260K
3. Javy007 - 283K
4. donny2112 - 290K
5. DayShallCome - 298K
6. argon - 300K

Get the hint? ;)

Hmm, I guess I over shot on 360 (I have to stop assuming that great software sales for 360 = increase in hardware sale -> the 55k rule seems to be pretty much always correct for this console in normal months).

I had the PS2 doing better than expected, but ~300k is pretty amazing for a console. What amazing legs.

And damn you DS. WTF.

Avrum

moku said:
Know what? Screw this. I challange you to go back, and take pictures to prove it. I could care less if you did or you didnt, I just want to see if your capable of telling the truth.

Your posts are so crazy, and filled with insanity, I want to see these, "Wii's in the wild" with my own eyes.

Now to wait to see what his reply is...

You should offer the stipulation that he shouldn't go to Toys R Us tomorrow since they are having another Sunday sale and having more Wii's up for sale as well. Wouldn't be hard to pull a switch on ya and be like...READ AND WEEP GOOD SIR!

Top Bottom