• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2012 Sales Results [Up2: MW3 Sales, (Down ~50% Over BLOPS, But Still #1)]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm confused as to what all this doom and gloom is about. There was literally nothing noteworthy that came out in this months NPD. When sales go tick back up over the next couple months people will be clamoring that they don't need new consoles.
If there aren't any price drops this summer we haven't seen the bottom yet.

Dabanton

I'm confused as to what all this doom and gloom is about. There was literally nothing noteworthy that came out in this months NPD. When sales go tick back up over the next couple months people will be clamoring that they don't need new consoles.

Exactly way too many potentially good games coming out this year. Most of the 'big' games came out between oct-nov and i see most of them are still in the top 10.

jbug617

Banned

Honestly right now the only system seller I see are Halo 4 and Star Wars Kinect and that is probably due to them getting a special edition console.

Dragon

Banned
I know January isn't typically a month full of new releases, but the way February/March looks I really do question publishers. I have to think some of those games could take advantage of lack of competition and will suffer.

onipex

Next Gen is needed soon for a healthy industry, 2012 might be a sad year for sales.

I don't think next gen and save the industry with the way it ( the industry) seems to reject methods to expand itself.

OT:

It's nice to see the 360 still holding up. I expected it to drop as much as the other consoles. The Wii is totally at the end of its life now, but the PS3 sales stay troubling.

I know, but then SM3DL should have easily charted above Zumba Fitness 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers between the two trackers are wildly different (at least compared to what we see in Japan).

If Rentrak includes bundled software, that would explain a few of the differences. I'm not trying to suggest that Rentrak should be considered reliable, just that the little data we get from each company makes it pretty much impossible to compare the two. Each needs to be considered on it's own merits.

(Plus I'm holding out hope that the weekly top 10 actually means something ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Honestly right now the only system seller I see are Halo 4 and Star Wars Kinect and that is probably due to them getting a special edition console.
If Halo 3 and Reach weren't enough to make you jump in then you're probably fine skipping Halo 4. That should have been a next gen launch title.

GavinGT

Banned
270,000 360s sold in JANUARY is a bad month? What the fuck are you guys smoking?

Sales have been falling year over year for a very long time now.

Not for 360.

cAeFM.png

Road

If Rentrak includes bundled software, that would explain a few of the differences. I'm not trying to suggest that Rentrak should be considered reliable, just that the little data we get from each company makes it pretty much impossible to compare the two. Each needs to be considered on it's own merits.

(Plus I'm holding out hope that the weekly top 10 actually means something ;)

I'm not trying to say Rentrak is less reliable than NPD at all. In fact, if i had to be, I'd bet on the opposite. =P

I agree it's not possible to make any good comparison. I'm just pointing out the discrepancies.

Edit: By the way, latest Rentrak weekly chart:

Video Game Sales Week of Jan 29-Feb 4

1 PS3 Final Fantasy XIII-2
2 X360 Final Fantasy XIII-2
3 X360 SoulCalibur V
4 PS3 SoulCalibur V
5 WII Just Dance 3
6 X360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
7 WII Zumba Fitness
8 3DS Mario Kart 7
9 X360 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
10 X360 NBA 2K12

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Iwata was right - the market is waiting for a new home console.

I think most people are waiting for a cheaper X360.

If the figures are true then people just aren't spending as times get tighter - throwing new console hardware infront of people in the next few years seems like a bad idea and Nintendo might just be about to stick their foot on a) Express golden escalator to WINSVILLE or b) poisonous rusty iron bear trap

I really think Iwata is looking at how the Wii is tanking and thinking "people want another Wii!" - it might be totally right, but i don't think it's a guarantee they'll get the Wii crowd returning en masse.

Petrichor

If Halo 3 and Reach weren't enough to make you jump in then you're probably fine skipping Halo 4. That should have been a next gen launch title.

So people didn't buy 360's for Call of Duty: MW and beyond because surely they'd have already bought it for COD2 and COD3?

Just because a game is a sequel doesn't mean that it can't be a system seller.

GavinGT

Banned
Last January actually had some big game releases, like Dead Space 2 and LBP 2.

Nothing of note came out this January.

What came out in January?

And how could the Wii and PS3 drop off so much from December? It's likely that one of them barely scraped past 100k a month after selling a million units.

And the 360 price drop needs to happen like, yesterday. MS seems content to milk this as long as they are in front of the Wii and PS3, but it's not good for the industry health overall to have so few units moved in a major territory.

launch is dumb ,why use your weapon riht away when you can sell no matter what initially.also halo 4 will move consoles,new owners who probably dont want the older ones and would just want to wait for it.

Ramblin

Banned
It's going to get to the point where iPhone games have comparable graphics to the home consoles. I'm not even going to talk about PC comparisons.

Those platforms evolve much quicker. I think we have to stop expecting consoles to evolve at the same pace.

Petrae

We need to be careful not to overreact to this relative sales crater. Consider that there weren't any new major game releases in January and that consumers may have spent the month paying down holiday shopping debt.

February looks stronger in hardware (Vita launch, 3DS temp price cut) and software (multiple major releases). If we see the negative YOY trend continue in spite of these factors, then the calls for new console hardware might be more justified.

For now, though, it's a horrible month... and we hope that February recovers considerably.

GavinGT

Banned
If you compare to what consoles have sold in January previously, that is bad.

the_more_you_know2_My_Brain_its_melting-s549x362-109558-580.jpg

One month of dropped sales isn't going to force Microsoft to put out a new system, not when sales have been increasing YoY for the last two years.

Plus, last January the 360 was still benefiting from the recent Kinect launch.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Will Nintendo give its PR or not? What a big mystery!

Busaiku

One month of dropped sales isn't going to force Microsoft to put out a new system, not when sales have been increasing YoY for the last two years.

Plus, last January the 360 was still benefiting from the recent Kinect launch.

This is the second month 360's been down YoY.

Hero

I think most people are waiting for a cheaper X360.

If the figures are true then people just aren't spending as times get tighter - throwing new console hardware infront of people in the next few years seems like a bad idea and Nintendo might just be about to stick their foot on a) Express golden escalator to WINSVILLE or b) poisonous rusty iron bear trap

I really think Iwata is looking at how the Wii is tanking and thinking "people want another Wii!" - it might be totally right, but i don't think it's a guarantee they'll get the Wii crowd returning en masse.

If people are waiting for a cheaper Xbox 360 then they're extremely price sensitive and as such aren't going to be going out buying 60 dollar games brand new. People picking up the consoles this late or even later in the generation aren't going to be contributing a whole lot of anything.

New consoles and new hardware provide new games and new experiences which will drive development and create new games and get new excitement to the point where people will plunk down money for a new system.

Top Bottom