• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Pachter said:
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...h-20-decline/1

"What shocked me was Wii was down (25%) year over year and they cut price. It just shocks me."
In March it was down 48%. In April, 38%. In May they dropped price and it was down 30%. In June it was down 35%. Why is 25% down a shock? Unless he's shocked at the improvement.

KingDizzi

Banned
If a price cut is happening for PS3 it will be announced at Gamecom next week during the Sony press conference, I'm expecting $50.

artwalknoon said:
What's causing the low ps3 sales? Is it just that Kinect has revitalized 360 sales while move hasn't been as much of a factor for the ps3? Is the ps3 just experiencing the natural decline of the console cycle like the wii?

The PS3 is just not the go to HD console in NA, it's really that simple. Been a baaaaaad generation for Sony, mistakes were made and they have been paying for it since the day PS3 released. As someone that has no idea how Sony works it will be interesting to see how big the price but is, do they want a jump in marketshare by cutting the price by $50-$100 or do they want the hardware to remain profitable? Guess it depends on what they think the jump in software sales will be if they cut price.

It's sad that first party Sony titles have sold so poorly, of the top ten games I've enjoyed on PS3 at least half have got to have been developed by Sony. The rest are FIFA and COD games. :)

Shame PS3 can't top Wii easily at this point.

Go MK!

Edit: Also, wtf @ New Vegas. Outta nowhere. I mean I'm glad but how did they get to number 8? DLC? Sale? Anyone know.

Cruzader

Banned
I was thinking these last few months 360 has been kicking serious ass and Winter is Coming! I mean, er, black Friday is coming!! o_O

Sony and the PS3 are always in this weird state. Their hardware picks up for a few months, does ok some and then it's starts to shit all over. Like they constantly need pricedrops to revive the damn thing. Lol. Even when it gets to $199, it's gonna face alot of competition. Don't think it's doomed but software never really helps the poor system. Wtf is up with the ps3???

Cruzader said:
I was thinking these last few months 360 has been kicking serious ass and Winter is Coming! I mean, er, black Friday is coming!! o_O

Sony and the PS3 are always in this weird state. Their hardware picks up for a few months, does ok some and then it's starts to shit all over. Like they constantly need pricedrops to revive the damn thing. Lol. Even when it gets to $199, it's gonna face alot of competition. Don't think it's doomed but software never really helps the poor system. Wtf is up with the ps3???

It's never been appealing to the casualtard audience.

RaijinFY

KingDizzi said:
If a price cut is happening for PS3 it will be announced at Gamecom next week during the Sony press conference, I'm expecting $50.

The PS3 is just not the go to HD console in NA, it's really that simple. Been a baaaaaad generation for Sony, mistakes were made and they have been paying for it since the day PS3 released. As someone that has no idea how Sony works it will be interesting to see how big the price but is, do they want a jump in marketshare by cutting the price by $50-$100 or do they want the hardware to remain profitable? Guess it depends on what they think the jump in software sales will be if they cut price.

It's sad that first party Sony titles have sold so poorly, of the top ten games I've enjoyed on PS3 at least half have got to have been developed by Sony. The rest are FIFA and COD games. :)

In any anglon-saxon countries actually the same pattern can be observed.

TheNatural

My Member!
DS best selling platform ... bu bu but when the 3DS drops to the same price it won't affect anything!

Lots of people are going to be eating crow at next weeks numbers.

nickcv

DrForester said:
Why, at the new price, who would buy a DS over a N3DS.

that's exactly what i meant...
why buy a DS when you can get for almost the same price a 3DS?

i think that this might be the last month we see DS over 3DS (shipments allowing that)

SMB3DL and Mario Kart 7 will be the nail in the coffin of the DS family for this holiday season

TheNatural said:
DS best selling platform ... bu bu but when the 3DS drops to the same price it won't affect anything!

Lots of people are going to be eating crow at next weeks numbers.

And this is exactly why Nintendo also didn't do a price drop for the DS.
Give them more incentive to buy the 3DS instead.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
jvm said:
Ok, so 3DS is down below 114.4K (it declined on a weekly rate over June).

And since 3DS + DS was "about flat" relative to last year's DS number, that probably means that NDS was about 290K or more.

Is it possible to get more concrete numbers later?

SickBoy

jeremy1456 said:
Yeah, because they'll be playing the millionth re-packaged version of Angry Birds by then :p

But seriously, anyone who thinks mobile gaming is going to overtake handhelds is in for a serious wake up call in the coming months with the 3DS price drop and Mario Kart.

I can't imagine any person who routinely buys video game consoles/handhelds saying "I just downloaded 'insert generic mobile game here' now there's no reason to buy Mario!"

I think it's valid to question whether some people feel the need for a portable gaming device any more in a world where a smartphone will play pretty good games. I've been tempted by the 3DS and I'm sure I will by the Vita (and own a DS and PSP), but I may never get them.

There will be games on Vita and 3DS that I'll want. But I think you either need the lifestyle where you'll use it regularly (long transit commute, lots of business travel), or you need to be someone who is happy to play portables at home when you've got a "real" console there.

I don't think I'm either of those (I've got a big enough backlog that if I've got gaming time at home, I'd rather play a so-called "real" console)... so I'm perfectly satisfied for now with retaining my iPhone as my only mobile gaming platform. I've scarcely touched either my DS or my PSP in months and haven't bought anything for either since the newest Warioware... I'm sure there's more recent software on both I'd enjoy, but I certainly don't feel as though I'm missing anything. I may not be in the NeoGAF majority... but I think it's unlikely that people like myself will have zero impact on the handheld space.

It's not that Angry Birds replaces Mario, it's just that maybe Mario, et. al don't trump these facts (for me):
1) These devices have little place in my lifestyle
2) I have enough to play that I don't think I need a 3D portable Mario game.

Not that I need Angry Birds, but if I can get one or two reasonably deep games on my phone plus a bunch of Angry Birds-ish time wasters, my mobile gaming needs are well met.

(BTW: Not saying portable gaming is dead... but it does face new challenges that didn't exist in the same way a few years back. If portables were dead, the DS wouldn't still be chugging along).

Mikey Jr. said:
How is PS3 doing world wide though?

Hardware shipments for last quarter:

Code:
PS3 1.8 m 
PSP 1.8 m 
360 1.7 m 
Wii 1.56 m 
DS 1.44 m 
PS2 1.4 m 
3DS 0.71 m

Retail sales it's the worst in the US, the best home console in Japan, and no idea about EU/PAL

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mikey Jr. said:
How is PS3 doing world wide though?

Fine, last anyone knew.

Phonomezer said:
I wonder how effective a PS3 price drop will be given the Wii's disappointing post-price drop performance.

The Wii's issues also extend to lack of new compelling software.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kswiston said:
Europe will put the game over 500k (shipped) even if Catherine never sells through that initial 200k in North America. I am sure that Atlus is more than happy with 500k sales on a new IP. It's not like Catherine had a 20M budget.
It would tie for their highest selling game ever actually.

Xilium

A Twisty Fluken said:
Broaden your horizon, though. For every "brain age" player that now might be satisfied by their phone/iPad, you may have a brand new player who never really had regular access to a dedicated gaming system and is now perhaps a valid potential audience member for new games. My 57 year old mother is now a Drop 7 addict on her iPad, and if Nintendo comes out with a baller new puzzle game, she very well might be able to be sold on something. It's not all downside, especially when the whole pie gets bigger.
Unless that puzzle game takes advantage of having buttons (which usually wasn't that important for NDS casual games) or 3D in a really prominent way though, I don't see why something similar (if not the same game, assuming it's made by a 3rd party) couldn't just as easily be done on an iOS device.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "dedicated handheld gaming is dead" camp and I frankly think iOS games are just glorified flash games that I used to play for free back in high school. That said, I do think it's safe to say that smartphones will start to eat into the dedicated handheld market because those types of games are enough for some people. As such, I doubt the 3DS or Vita will sell as well as their predecessors. Contrary to popular opinion, they don't need to sell more than there predecessors to be successful, though I'm sure Nintendo/Sony would prefer it if they did.

NEO0MJ

AceBandage said:
And this is exactly why Nintendo also didn't do a price drop for the DS.
Give them more incentive to buy the 3DS instead.

Maybe some will think it's not worth the extra $20-50 just for 3D? How's the ads working in the US to differentiate the 3DS from the old DS?

NEO0MJ said:
Maybe some will think it's not worth the extra $20-50 just for 3D? How's the ads working in the US to differentiate the 3DS from the old DS?
They'll be doing a relaunch of the marketing starting tomorrow.
Not sure how much they'll be focusing on it, though.

kswiston

SlipperySlope said:
Wii and PS3 are in EOL mode. The sooner Sony realizes this, the better.

PS3 is just too expensive. Even then, it's not like hardware sales have been down 60% all year. They have actually been up in many months. This is just a bad month. 360 took a huge dip as well. It just happened to have been selling a lot better in June than Wii/PS3.

EDIT: both the 360 and the PS3 dropped ~54% from last moth assuming the estimated PS3 numbers are more or less correct.

nickcv said:
crazy leg for NSMB... i cannot wait to see how much will sell SMB3DL

Me too. I expect Mario Sunshine like performance, but who knows. America is 3D Mario's strongest market, but I don't expect it to do any wonders, especially on a pick up and play platform.

The game to keep an eye on is Mario Kart 7. I'm excited to see how THAT game performs. It will perform well. But 'how well' is the question. Unlike Wii and DS, this Mario Kart isn't riding on any momentum. And there are no exciting releases closely following it either. How many people join the bandwagon when there is no certain future ahead of it?

It's also worth keeping in mind the times. This isn't 2005. The buying population behavior and its growth/decline is important to keep note of.

End of year sales should be interesting for all plaforms.

TheNatural

My Member!
NEO0MJ said:

$20 to $50? More like $20 to $0. The DSi is $150, and the DSi XL is $170. It doesn't need to be differentiated, now it's in the same price range, so it doesn't matter. Consumers aren't functionally retarded, almost all get the basic knowledge of what the premium current system is compared to the past system. Spending 2 minutes looking at boxes does that.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
Are you just speculating with the marketing thing, or have they said something to that effect?

NEO0MJ

TheNatural said:
$20 to $50? More like $20 to $0. The DSi is $150, and the DSi XL is $170. It doesn't need to be differentiated, now it's in the same price range, so it doesn't matter. Consumers aren't functionally retarded, almost all get the basic knowledge of what the premium current system is compared to the past system. Spending 2 minutes looking at boxes does that.

the DS lite can still be found on amazon for $120. As for telling the difference between the old DS and the 3DS most consumers still seem to fail at that from what I read over here.

Regarding MK I just saw they have a new commercial on tv advertising all the new DLC characters. And with August traditionally being a slow month beyond Madden it should do well again next month.

_dementia said:
Mortal Kombat has the longest legs of any fighting game this gen.
MK vs DCU too. haha. I think the marketing was just more on point. Remember when they were trying to market SFIV during UFC like it was MMA?

donny2112

RatskyWatsky said:
Wow, I guess a lot of people went to Best Buy then.

NPD has had tilted results due to Best Buy sales before. They don't seem to take enough care to filter out sales at the stores they track, and therefore, that gets multiplied when they extract out to the rest of the market. If they actually do get access to Wal-Mart data, hopefully that will be less of an issue.

:lol @ NSMB DS showing up. It's always hanging out just below the reported numbers, but since this month was so slow, it got back into the Top 10. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AceBandage said:
What games are they intending to market out of curiosity?

TheNatural

My Member!
NEO0MJ said:
the DS lite can still be found on amazon for $120. As for telling the difference between the old DS and the 3DS most consumers still seem to fail at that from what I read over here.

The DS Lite is discontinued. It's not available at most places and not considered an option by most - almost all of the DS current sales are made up of DSi versions.

There's a difference between differentiating between something you're going to pay $250 for and $170 for. Nintendo successfully transitioned from the GBA to the GBA SP, then from the DS to the DS Lite, then DSi and XL.

I think the whole differentiating stuff is overrated as fuck. I think consumers KNOW, or the few that don't, by looking at simple store kiosks or info can tell what is and isn't current system. People know, they just don't know what the big deal is about paying another $100 for another DS, that's all. $20, is completely different.

donny2112

Road said:
Yep. I would expect at least

360 - Halo 3
360 - MW2
360 - MW
360 - BO
PS3 - BO

to be over 5 million.

Nintendo doesn't combine SKUs, so they'd be looking at how the regular edition of Halo/Call of Duty sold only. NPD tries to hide the numbers more by combining SKUS, but Nintendo isn't using those obfuscated totals.

Top Bottom