• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

Massa

ThisWreckage said:
To be honest, I'm surprised the PS3 is still selling that much at a 299.99 price point.
Sony has invested a ton of money into all of these new IPs

Perhaps you just found an explanation. ;)

kswiston said:
Unless the price drop and upcoming games fail to save the 3DS, OOT should eventually crawl to 1M

390k would almost be as good as launch month and still the problem of too few games.
I think the lack of games is a fixable problem, by releasing games.

I don't think it's the largest problem with the platform. Price was the biggest issue.

Now I expect it to follow the normal Nintendo handheld trend. Consistent if not high sales.

That all depends on just how much the handheld market has changed. If the 99 cent iOS market is now the predominant handheld gaming platform?

The entire market is wide open, and both the 3DS and Vita could fail spectacularly.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Needs more leakage. PS2 hw? Updated PKMN B/W numbers? C'monnnn.

NEO0MJ said:
the DS lite can still be found on amazon for $120.

Wait what? I thought it officially dropped to $100? I know I saw walmart selling 'em at that price just last week.

KingDizzi

Banned
Kagari said:
GoW3 was on sale for $15 last month.
That explains it, any lifetime numbers for the game? It did over 1 million first month so it's probably closing onto 2 million at this point. Sales aside here's to hoping the next SSM title, be it GOW or whatever has MP. Has to be a dead on certainty at this point, most if not all games releasing on PS3 which are made by Sony devs have MP of some kind. GOW 3 took me two days to complete, I feel sorry for anyone that purchased this game rather than renting. inFamous 2 was mint though, any ideas what it did this month?

TheNatural

My Member!
kswiston said:
Unless the price drop and upcoming games fail to save the 3DS, OOT should eventually crawl to 1M

390k would almost be as good as launch month and still the problem of too few games.

It's dropped to the same price range as the original, which is still selling a great amount. THE SAME PRICE. I don't understand why people ignore that fact.

3DS should get around 500K is my guess, depending on the marketing campaign getting the news of the price cut out.

Mrbob

Depending on PS3 price drop, if I were in MS position I might hold the price.

PS3 goes to $249 the 360 still has a cheaper model available at $199. Plus the 360 is selling almost double per month.

Might as well wait and see if the PS3 price drop has any real effect on 360 hardware sales instead of losing another 50 bucks on hardware per month.

Mrbob said:

PS3 goes to $249 the 360 still has a cheaper model available at $199. Plus the 360 is selling almost double per month.

Might as well wait and see if the PS3 price drop has any real effect on 360 hardware sales instead of losing another 50 bucks on hardware per month.

Which is why Sony will likely drop one hundred dollars if they choose to do a price drop. 50 bucks isn't going to do a thing for them.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Mrbob said:

The price drop will be in effect WW, not just US. If Sony drops the price, MS will follow.

Revolver

TheNatural said:
It's dropped to the same price range as the original, which is still selling a great amount. THE SAME PRICE. I don't understand why people ignore that fact.

3DS should get around 500K is my guess, depending on the marketing campaign getting the news of the price cut out.

I guess the marketing is kicking into gear. I just got an email from Gamestop offering a 3DS for $99 with a DS Lite, DSi or DSi XL trade-in this weekend.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meisadragon said:
The price drop will be in effect WW, not just US. If Sony drops the price, MS will follow.

The exact amount remains a mystery... Sony has been unusually quiet and the lack of leaks leading up to GamesCom isn't helping.

Revolver

Kagari said:
The exact amount remains a mystery... Sony has been unusually quiet and the lack of leaks leading up to GamesCom isn't helping.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to end up being a $50 drop which won't do much. I need a new PS3 and have my fingers and toes crossed for $100.

Loudninja

Revolver said:
Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to end up being a $50 drop which won't do much. I need a new PS3 and have my fingers and toes crossed for $100.
They haven't had a $50 price drop yet on the PS3, it always been $100

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Kagari said:

Dropping it by $100 will do them more harm than good (profit-wise), unless their business model is to outsell the 360, which it's not. And based on the FY projection, it has to be $50. It's rumoured to be a $50 price drop + a slight hardware redesign, though.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
YOY

DS -23%
360 -38%
PS3 -31%
Wii -25%
3DS N/A

YTD

DS 2,353,732
360 2,700,214
PS3 1,842,948
Wii 1,934,870
3DS 922,000

LTD

DS 49,658,483
360 28,095,373
PS3 17,304,921
Wii 36,084,494
3DS 922,000

RuGalz

I'm kinda getting sick of such pessimistic headlines when NPD can't track digital sales and DLCs; therefore, it doesn't have the whole picture. It paints a very skewed picture and isn't helping the industry in this kind of economy.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Kagari said:

I'm calling $150 drop! C'mon Sony pull a Nintendo! I want it as low as possible incase my PS3 ever bites it!

Kusagari

Amazing Catherine sales for such a niche game. I can't believe people in here are acting disappointed at this. The 200k shipped number gave you all ridiculous expectations.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meisadragon said:
Dropping it by $100 will do them more harm than good (profit-wise), unless their business model is to outsell the 360, which it's not. And based on the FY projection, it has to be $50. It's rumoured to be a $50 price drop + a slight hardware redesign, though.

The models are already out.

Hazelhurst

Meisadragon said:
Well, they don't make much profit, if any, on the hardware. The real money is in the software. Always has been. That's why they took a $200+ hit on every PS3 sold at the beginning of the gen. They want as many PS3s in homes as possible. $50 drop won't help in this goal. A $199.99 PS3 is much much much more appealing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
RuGalz said:
I'm kinda getting sick of such pessimistic headlines when NPD can't track digital sales and DLCs; therefore, it doesn't have the whole picture. It paints a very skewed picture and isn't helping the industry in this kind of economy.
They note this:

The OP said:
Frazier also pointed out that digital is indeed helping to make up for lost physical sales. “New physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories accounted for 69% of the total consumer spend on the industry in Q1. We have measured some remarkable growth in other ways that consumers are acquiring content, including digital sales of full games and add-on content, mobile games, and social network gaming. Growth in these areas, combined with a flat to modest decline in new physical sales should result in 2011 showing growth over 2010," she said.

Hazelhurst said:
Well, they don't make much profit, if any, on the hardware. The real money is in the software. Always has been. That's why they took a $200+ hit on every PS3 sold at the beginning of the gen. They want as many PS3s in homes as possible. $50 drop won't help in this goal. A $199.99 PS3 is much much much more appealing.

And put the division in the red again? ... why?

Erethian

Jonnyram said:
3DS sold about 90k and DS sold about 305k.
PSP sold somewhere between 60-65k.

Some other random software numbers.
Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k
Oh and Pokemon White > Black.

Nice to get some PSP numbers again.

Not surprising that it did worse than July 2010, considering how down sales are overall.

RuGalz

Nirolak said:
They note this:

Yea I know they try to cover their asses in their articles but a lot of people don't read beyond headlines. Even if they do, there are no actual numbers as data points so most of the people only remembers the gist of it, which in this case would be "the industry has suffered one of the worst months".

MSPR said:
we expect Xbox 360 to maintain its lead throughout the year, ending 2011 as the number one console worldwide.

Once again Microsoft is beating the #1 in 2011 worldwide sales drum. If Sony's pricecut ends up providing a significant boost I think MS will be guaranteed to respond. We probably won't see official pricecuts but I would expect them to go the 100 gift card with purchase route.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Meisadragon said:
Yeah, forgot about that. So, it has to be $50 I guess.

It's been two years since the drop to $299. PS3 has been profitable since early last year.
I still believe $199 will be the new price.

Duxxy3

If it's $50 they may as well not drop the price. If it's selling this poorly at $299 it's not going to sell a lot more at $250. $199 is the mainstream pricepoint - 360 and Wii are already at it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Kagari said:
It's been two years since the drop to $299. PS3 has been profitable since early last year.
I still believe $199 will be the new price.

I hope so too, since it has been almost 5 years since the console launched. Software sales are pretty good as well, so the loss in hardware won't matter much. But let's see what Sony wants to do. :p

I could see Sony going for small loss if necessary to get to $199. That mass market price has to be hit eventually, and the system has already been out for far too long without hitting that sweet spot. And like Kagari said Sony's had awhile to get the price down, and the new model was no doubt created with that in mind.

AniHawk

generation's starting to look its age. these would be awesome numbers for last gen though. the only systems that really did bad are the psp and the 3ds, and the psp's been dead for a while anyway.

Erethian

AniHawk said:
generation's starting to look its age. these would be awesome numbers for last gen though. the only systems that really did bad are the psp and the 3ds, and the psp's been dead for a while anyway.

Still can't get over how long it's taken Sony to get the Vita out, considering the PSP situation. And now they're going to miss holidays.

AniHawk said:
It really is crazy how many successful platforms are on the market today.

At the same time we've seen massive consolidation, and studio closures as well.

Jonnyram said:
3DS sold about 90k and DS sold about 305k.
PSP sold somewhere between 60-65k.

Some other random software numbers.
Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k
Oh and Pokemon White > Black.
What???? Kratos has a long and less angry legs now.

Kagari said:

Maybe there's no price drop at Gamescom at all, I know people are expecting it and everything, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Karma said:
Wow at PS3. I am not sure even $100 price drop would get it to 360 levels more than a month or 2.

I had this argument with somebody, but I don't think a U$199 PS3 will outsell a U$199 360. Unless sales in other regions are really low or sales in Japan are a concern for MS, I don't think they need to drop the price of the 360 at all this year regardless of what Sony may or may not do.

AranhaHunter said:
I had this argument with somebody, but I don't think a U$199 PS3 will outsell a U$199 360. Unless sales in other regions are really low or sales in Japan are a concern for MS, I don't think they need to drop the price of the 360 at all this year regardless of what Sony may or may not do.

A 199.99 PS3 would certainly inject some life into the console and sales would go up in North America. The bigger effect would be worldwide. I could see a major price drop shifting a lot of PS3s in the worldwide market. Particularly in Japan and parts of Europe.

OldJadedGamer said:
They can sell UC3 on their own. UC2 has already earned its money and it would be dirt cheap to pack it in.
Agreed, pack it in with Uncharted 2 and Resistance 2, and make them buy U3 and R3 standalone.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
AranhaHunter said:
Depends on how much attractive that BR drive is at $199. It will be close in the US but WW, I don't think so.

graywolf323

6. Major League Baseball 2K11 - Take-Two Interactive (360, Wii NDS, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC)

well that's a surprise, didn't it get outsold last year by MLB The Show?

guess that won't happen this year

Top Bottom