• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: Wii And PS3 Hardware, 3DS/DS Relatives]

VALIS

KingDizzi said:
The PS3 is just not the go to HD console in NA, it's really that simple.

That's exactly it. Just like 10 or so years ago when "playing Playstation" supplanted "playing Nintendo" in mindshare and popular culture in America, it is now all about "playing Xbox." That's why the 360 has been doing so much better than the others the last year or so, the Xbox brand has graduated to that sweet spot where it's practically synonymous with video games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
donny2112 said:
Nintendo doesn't combine SKUs, so they'd be looking at how the regular edition of Halo/Call of Duty sold only. NPD tries to hide the numbers more by combining SKUS, but Nintendo isn't using those obfuscated totals.
Does Nintendo sell many special editions?

Penguin

Syphon Filter said:
How come Wii doesn't sell that much anymore? Even a price cut didn't do much for them.

Lack of games

What games have come out this year, Wii Play Motion, Lost in Shadows, Mario Sports Mix and The Conduit 2

VALIS

Shurs said:
Was Microsoft still offering a free 360 with laptop purchases in July?

I'm not sure. If they were, how many college students do you think bought a new laptop and thus, got a free 360 in the month of July? 2,000? 5,000? Maybe even 10K? I can't see that as having much of an effect.

kswiston

donny2112 said:
Nintendo doesn't combine SKUs, so they'd be looking at how the regular edition of Halo/Call of Duty sold only. NPD tries to hide the numbers more by combining SKUS, but Nintendo isn't using those obfuscated totals.

Which is cherry picking comparisons. Nintendo doesn't really do special editions, so it works in their favour. It's not like someone opting to buy the $150 legendary version of Halo 3 would have skipped the $60 version if that was the only SKU available.

donny2112

Nirolak said:
Does Nintendo sell many special editions?

Not typically. There was the Wii Sports Resort with 2 motion pluses, the Wii Fit Plus w/ Board vs. Wii Fit Plus standalone (considering Nintendo's reports of Wii Fit Plus w/ Board being the by far primary seller of those two, there's probably 15m Wii Balance Boards in the U.S.), and Zelda should have a special edition with the Gold Wiimote this Fall. That's the main ones off the top of my head.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
JordanLMiller said:
lack of games. first party release schedule is barren and third party efforts are a joke.
Yep.

Nintendo's first party releases for this year are... um, Mario Sports Mix, Wii Play Motion, and apparently Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident.

We don't even have a release date for anything else yet.

And we're in mid-August.

And you wonder why Wii gamers are upset that there are two or three great looking games that NoA refuses to release.

Notable third party Wii titles include... um... I'll get back to you. Deblob 2 came out in January (multiplatform), as did Lost in Shadow(quietly), but they're not exactly high profile. Every other decently-selling Wii third party game is Just Dance 2 or a port of a Disney or Lego title.

donny2112

kswiston said:
Nintendo doesn't really do special editions, so it works in their favour.

In reports like this, yes, but only because other companies started splitting their games across multiple editions. Separated numbers are almost always preferrable, though, since they can be combined later, if you want. However, NPD combining SKUs was done to hide numbers, and since they've been doing it for almost four years now (started with Halo 3), that's become the *norm* for many. :/

Syphon Filter said:
How come Wii doesn't sell that much anymore? Even a price cut didn't do much for them.
Three main things come to mind.
1. Anemic game release schedule.
2. Kinect has found big success, treading on some grounds Wii previously ruled uncontestedly.
3. Saturation. X360/PS3/Wii as a whole have already sold plenty more than PS2/GCN/Xbox ever did, and I'm pretty sure the only other system that sold more before the release of its successor was DS.

Truth101

Banned
Htown said:
Yep.

Nintendo's first party releases for this year are... um, Mario Sports Mix, Wii Play Motion, and apparently Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident.

We don't even have a release date for anything else yet.

And we're in mid-August.

And you wonder why Wii gamers are upset that there are two or three great looking games that NoA refuses to release.

Notable third party Wii titles include... um... I'll get back to you. Deblob 2 came out in January (multiplatform), as did Lost in Shadow(quietly), but they're not exactly high profile. Every other decently-selling Wii third party game is Just Dance 2 or a port of a Disney or Lego title.

You leave out the biggest release of the year, Skyward Sword.

Jonnyram

3DS sold about 90k and DS sold about 305k.
PSP sold somewhere between 60-65k.

Some other random software numbers.
Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k
Oh and Pokemon White > Black.

Huff

Banned
Not sure if it's been answered, but MS is only giving away 360s with laptop purchases through their website, not at retailers anymore. I think that the deal worked too well.

A BestBuy employee in gainesville said they basically had to stop because they couldn't keep them in stock while the deal was going on. So while last months crazy number probably had a good deal of the free 360s, this month should have relatively few.

It pissed me off, I bought a new Samsung and was hoping for the free 360. oh well.

TheNatural

My Member!
Jonnyram said:

Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k

With that, 3DS should at least get 390K this month, at the very worst. Likely much, much higher.

Truth101

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda charts next month.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, sure. It hasn't released yet and isn't close enough for big hype, so it hasn't had a chance to influence hardware sales.
I know that, but he left it out of first party releases for the year. Zelda is one of those titles.

Seda

Jonnyram said:

Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k

Not terrible for Zelda, may have charted in the old top ten.

zero_suit

Jonnyram said:

Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k

S1PC2.jpg

"Can't stop, won't stop!"

Ridley327

_tetsuo_ said:
Human Revolution is going to do great this month.
The upside is that it has exactly zero competition until Dead Island next month.

The downside, naturally, is whether or not there's a lot of people aware of what Deus Ex is and if it appeals to a crowd that generally only takes their shooters with a side of multiplayer and a less "cerebral" approach to game design, as it were.

zero_suit

rpmurphy said:
I think that's being really optimistic.

Why? The price drop officially goes into effect on the 12th, so that gives the 3DS 2 1/2 weeks worth of sales at the $170 price point for the August NPD.

kswiston

Ridley327 said:
The upside is that it has exactly zero competition until Dead Island next month.

The downside, naturally, is whether or not there's a lot of people aware of what Deus Ex is and if it appeals to a crowd that generally only takes their shooters with a side of multiplayer and a less "cerebral" approach to game design, as it were.

Depends on marketing I guess. Fallout 3 did really well, and I think that franchise was about as well known as Deus Ex heading into this gen.

kswiston

allan-bh said:
Zelda OoT 3D LTD- 360k

I think is nice.

Unless the price drop and upcoming games fail to save the 3DS, OOT should eventually crawl to 1M

TheNatural said:
390K is being optimistic? How is that?

390k would almost be as good as launch month and still the problem of too few games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Loudninja said:
So anything about Infamous 2? That God of War III number is really random.

Wasn't it basically $20 for the entire month at Gamestop? Wouldn't be that shocking, basically the same thing happened with New Vegas.

Kambing

Catherine did not break 100k, oh no... -_-

My sheep avatar and I will now enter sad mode. Time to play some block puzzles from Catherine. I may really snag another copy now...

Ridley327

kswiston said:
Depends on marketing I guess. Fallout 3 did really well, and I think that franchise was about as well known as Deus Ex heading into this gen.
The marketing is probably the biggest roadblock; I just don't know if Squenix is up to the task.

Duxxy3

I don't think the 3DS will go over 300k for August. Will do better in November and December than it would without the price drop but the lack of games is still an issue that a price drop can't fix in August.

Seda

Hazelhurst said:
Where is this at? I don't see it in the top 10.

Jonnyram posted some numbers that Nirolak hasn't put in the OP.

Jonnyram said:

Zelda OoT 3D - ~77k
God of War III - ~73k

And Jonnyram's never wrong (it seems).

rpmurphy

TheNatural said:
390K is being optimistic? How is that?
DS sales should still be strong next month even though they are competing against the 3DS in comparable pricing. A full transition will take some time, probably not until at least this holiday season. If the industry has lower YoY sales in August, which I believe some analysts have already indicated as a possibility, 390K could be a tough bar to reach.

To be honest, I'm surprised the PS3 is still selling that much at a 299.99 price point. Three hundred bucks in this economy is a ton of money to drop on a video game console.

If they don't drop the PS3 by hundred bucks at Gamescom they might as well not bother with a price drop at all. Dropping it by fifty bucks isn't going to do much.

Sony has invested a ton of money into all of these new IPs and the only one that has been a major success for them is Uncharted.

Top Bottom