• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

patapuf

It's the typical fucking example of "Why in God's name is this a AAA $60 product?" just like Shadows of the Damned was.

I wanna know why Warner Bros and EA even bothered with either of those games in the first place. Even their announcements screamed the game would bomba.

i don't know about the US but it wasn't a full price game in Europe (lollipop i mean). So they did learn.

Pranay

I will again say that this month has been good for both the consoles.

Looking at the no of releases and other stuff like WII decline as well as 360 had a bizzare last year at this month.

Sales have been good.

With Good games releasing with also a price cut, i see them doing well.

Doesn't this basically mean that more people are buying their games digitally? Seeing as NDP doesn't track digital sales.

thats speculation

but we do know there are 35 percent less games on the market

which would lead to less sales

Damn, why did I miss the troll dooming everything? Stupid sleep..........

I am a handheld gamer, its my bread and butter

If they ever went away, likely so would I

Yopis

I don't know about questioning the Vita's right to exist but I agree GD should get a PSN port! Game looks hot!

No it should not, If Vita gets games that are exclusive then people say things like this. When it gets ports people say it needs more exclusive games.

Seems like a lot of the hate comes from people not wanting to buy yet another system to play content they might want. (I know GR started as a PS3 game)

Goes hand in hand with the thinking that Uncharted GA is not a real version. If its not a real version then I dont have to buy the console and feel like I missed out. I think this is Vita's biggest problem right now.

Seems like people some people say (Hell I have IOS,PS3,360 ect....dont want to buy that also fuck it)

Some people might not feel this way but I think that a silent majority do. Gonna be an uphill fight.

Hope they turn it around years ago PS3 started poorly and people said it was a bomb. When the price dropped and the masses came in it became great. Just my thoughts.

acm2000

i dont see what the big surprise is with the figures being down, the wii and ds is essentially dead, thats a huge chunk of sales gone, ps3 is a bit stagnent, and the 360 is coming off a huge year in 2011

Ridley327

Freaking disgrace how low Shadows sold.

The EA Partners program has been a complete disaster since Brutal Legend scared EA away from doing promotion on those titles. Respawn's will be an exception, but only because of the pedigree and what kind of game it will almost assuredly be. It's such a damn shame.

I think Wii could really benefit from a price drop. Right now it's selling near 100k with basically nothing coming out, but at $99 bundled with Mario/Kart I think it would have the potential to double that, at least.

Freaking disgrace how low Shadows sold.

But when you spent as much as you did advertising Lollipop, you might as well sell 25k again.

I think Wii could really benefit from a price drop. Right now it's selling near 100k with basically nothing coming out, but at $99 bundled with Mario/Kart I think it would have the potential to double that, at least.

But then what's the point? Might as well just let it slide and make profits while putting 0 effort into your product.

Petrae

A Wii price drop-- either with a AAA game like Mario Kart or not-- makes sense, and I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't happened sooner. There is ample inventory to sell and I think that there is time for one last push before WiiU steals the spotlight.

I'd also like to see one more expansion of the Wii Select line of budget re-releases to enhance hardware sales and move some inventory.

apana

A Wii price drop-- either with a AAA game like Mario Kart or not-- makes sense, and I'm honestly surprised that it hasn't happened sooner. There is ample inventory to sell and I think that there is time for one last push before WiiU steals the spotlight.

I'd also like to see one more expansion of the Wii Select line of budget re-releases to enhance hardware sales and move some inventory.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to get people into the habit of thinking that $99 is an acceptable price point for a console? Then again this is the end of the generation so I don't know.

tuffy

Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to get people into the habit of thinking that $99 is an acceptable price point for a console? Then again this is the end of the generation so I don't know.
The Gamecube stayed at $99 for a long time and, as I recall, the SNES got there eventually also. It makes a lot of sense to drop the Wii to that magic price point (along with budget re-releases of popular titles) to bring in one last wave of late adopters before launching the WiiU.

Opiate

Man, bad month. :(

Do we have even the faintest inkling about how much of this revenue loss is being recouped in digital?

I assume it's down overall regardless. It's also possible that digital is down too; that is, that PS3/360 are selling less digital DLC/software this year compared to last as they continue to atrophy users.

Do we have even the faintest inkling about how much of this revenue loss is being recouped in digital?

I assume it's down overall regardless. It's also possible that digital is down too; that is, that PS3/360 are selling less digital DLC/software this year compared to last as they continue to atrophy users.

no

but there was an article on gameindustry how digital was retracting too for basically all the major players

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
We need Wii U/PS4/720 ASAP.

Naw, a price drop would kick start things. There are plenty of people who have not invested in HD consoles, those Wii bandwagon people from 2006.

$179 PS3 and $149 360 would be huge.

Road

On the first link of the OP, it is said NPD estimates digital revenue for the month to be $491 million, but there's no comparison to last year.

Naw, a price drop would kick start things. There are plenty of people who have not invested in HD consoles, those Wii bandwagon people from 2006.

$179 PS3 and $149 360 would be huge.

That would of course help a great deal, but fresh next-gen consoles always reinvigorate the industry.

Opiate

no

but there was an article on gameindustry how digital was retracting too for basically all the major players

Contracting, not retracting (it's not a big deal, but knowing the difference between words helps!)

Do you have a link to this article? A quick google search didn't find it.

Edit: found it on Gamasutra.

road said:
On the first link of the OP, it is said NPD estimates digital revenue for the month to be $491 million, but there's no comparison to last year.

Right. We don't know last year, and we don't know how trustworthy NPD is for these things. Their estimates might be Chartz quality, for all we know.

Pranay

Contracting, not retracting (it's not a big deal, but knowing the difference between words helps!)

Do you have a link to this article? A quick google search didn't find it.

Right. We don't know last year, and we don't know how trustworthy NPD is for these things. Their estimates might be Chartz quality, for all we know.

April npd thread i think [?]

It was based on npd, ubisoft revenue etc i think by jvm. let me search

Xbla games sold well this time around.

Sony is really focussing on psn as well with ps+ and psn games more this year

Also 80% ps3 connected to psn is kind off good as well

Opiate

April npd thread i think [?]

It was based on npd, ubisoft revenue etc i think by jvm. let me search

I believe I've found it, but these totals don't appear to be console/handheld specific, which is what we'd want here. For example, JVM points out that digital revenue for ActivisionBlizzard shrunk YoY last month; however, it's possible that their digital revenue on PS3/360 grew while the revenue on PC or other devices shrunk by a larger amount.

I'm not sure we have any way to know this, though.

One thing I'm wondering about, how will NPD count retailer download copies of coming 3DS (and eventually Wii U) games like NSMB2? Will they be combined like other multi-SKU rankings or sectioned off into accessories with points cards? Wasn't Patapon 2 or 3 just a dlc code at retail? Can anyone with access tell us if it was it counted under software?

Opiate

The problem is of course active userbase, which this doesn't really tell us much about. Absolute install base of the PS3, for example, is always climbing, and will never shrink; active install base, however, is likely already shrinking and will eventually reach zero.

The question, then, is whether the "digital" install base is growing or shrinking along with the retail one. I can imagine both scenarios being accurate.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not surprised at Lego Batman 2. It's not just the Batman name. The Lego games are good games and they've been getting better.

Batman 2 got great reviews and word of mouth as being the most "for adults as well as kids" game in the series yet. It's suitable for a wide audience.

I think it's disingenuous to suggest apparently poor sales of a game are due to it having x amount of extra digital sales.

I really, really doubt they account for more than 10% of the overall sales. And until I see numbers, I won't think otherwise.

I'm not convinced that a new generation of systems are needed for the PS3 and XBox 360. After playing some awesome games exclusively on the PSN and Live, I'm convinced that there are a wealth of untapped concepts that can be further fleshed out on the HD systems as full blown retail games if given the opportunity and resources. I don't believe developers have exhausted the full potential of these platforms.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, just realized that those Vita numbers are from a 5-week month. Plus, there's really nothing on the horizon :/

I've learned my lesson to never be an early adopter again.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

Holy shit... guy always seemed like he had a stick up his arse but that twitter is just "wow". You better have saved me some chicken, PD :p

Back to the topic at hand. Nice to see Lollypop Chainsaw get a tiny inkling of sales. Especially in this day when it seems like it's a miracle that a Japanese HD game gets over 100k... just goes to show you how the tiniest bit of marketing can do wonders. I've always wondered what would happen if you took an extremely niche game/concept (i.e. a cyberpunk turn-based strategy game) and threw a COD-style marketing blitz behind it.

One thing I'm wondering about, how will NPD count retailer download copies of coming 3DS (and eventually Wii U) games like NSMB2? Will they be combined like other multi-SKU rankings or sectioned off into accessories with points cards? Wasn't Patapon 2 or 3 just a dlc code at retail? Can anyone with access tell us if it was it counted under software?

Nintendo wants to make digital sales figures available to the public.

Source.

I was just about to purchase a Vita but this is very worrisome. Will it be dropped like a hot piece of coal in the near future?

Top Bottom