• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD June 2012 Results [Up1: Microsoft/Nintendo Hardware, Lego Batman 2, Lollipop]

Miles X

Last system to do > 600K in a month outside of Fall was DS in March 2010. 360 came close last June, though. It'll happen again, in time.

It includes it every year.

December runs until December 29, 2012.

You messed up somewhere.

jvm,
January 2013 will have a leap week, right?

So Dec will be a 4 week month rather than the usual 5 and that month carry's over to Jan, got it.

donny2112

So Dec will be a 4 week month rather than the usual 5 and that month carry's over to Jan, got it.

December is always 5 weeks. January is usually 4 weeks, but sometimes 5 weeks, since there's not exactly 52 weeks in a year. See the previous edit about BF being on November 23rd, this year. That may be where the confusion is coming in.

pestul

Looks like smart phone gaming is truly replacing dedicated handheld gaming with casual gamers.. ouch. They need to be $99. :S

Miles X

December is always 5 weeks. January is usually 4 weeks, but sometimes 5 weeks, since there's not exactly 52 weeks in a year. See the previous edit about BF being on November 23rd, this year. That may be where the confusion is coming in.

Definitely, couple of sites I look at online said the 30th, just checked some others and they say 23rd.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I wouldn't waste your time, everything's fine

jvm

Gamasutra.
January 2013 isn't a leap month in the spreadsheet, I think. Thanks for the Google Docs sheet! Will probably include that in the NPD Prediction thread somewhere, in case there are questions. :)
Yep, I uploaded an unsaved version. Fixed now. Always happy to help.

Ok, I even agree with you, even if not entirely, but...man, that's one of the most childish things I've ever seen posted here XD

I play around to diffuse tension. You will learn that about me. Whenever I sense maybe an argument spread over 5 pages brewing, Id rather just diffuse it.

That's what that was.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Hey, Gamecocks625, did you ever grab a Vita? You would have been one of the key people I'd think Sony would want to attract, especially after how the PSP Go worked out for you. It has a Lumines, not sure if it has the football (soccer) game you wanted.

donny2112

Definitely, couple of sites I look at online said the 30th, just checked some others and they say 23rd.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

No problem. :)

On a side note, this will be the maximum amount of shopping time for a December NPD that's possible before Christmas. 30 days of December's 35-day NPD period are before Christmas. Ought to be some positive YOY comparisons, in that case, and then some possibly hugely negative ones in 2013 from the difference in shopping seasons. :lol

Miles X

No problem. :)

On a side note, this will be the maximum amount of shopping time for a December NPD that's possible before Christmas. 30 days of December's 35-day NPD period are before Christmas. Ought to be some positive YOY comparisons, in that case, and then some possibly hugely negative ones in 2013 from the difference in shopping seasons. :lol

November will be interesting too, COD will only have 13 days with Halo 4 coming out a week before it. Bound to see a drop YOY for the franchsie.

Even with the focus on casuals, you truly believe this? I think if everyone had the money to blow in this economy, they'd have both.. but most are just content with each new iteration of Angry Birds it seems.

I believe there are so many casuals they play on everything......

In my heart of hearts I believe 3+ million hardcore gamers did not buy nintendogs and cats.

I cant and wont believe it. Hardcore gamers are too manly. It would ruin my world outlook

If we are talking about the 30 year old women and 75 year old men who had a DS for Brain Training than yes they are gone, but what percentage of the DS's sales did they really make up? Just look at the GBA. It was one of the fastest selling systems of all time and would have been the 2nd best selling system of all time if the DS hadn't killed it off. There is a larger reason why the 3DS is not selling that well and its because of the lack of releases and honestly I think software prices are too high.

Sony even attempting 50 dollar handheld games if a fucking joke.

Hey, Gamecocks625, did you ever grab a Vita? You would have been one of the key people I'd think Sony would want to attract, especially after how the PSP Go worked out for you. It has a Lumines, not sure if it has the football (soccer) game you wanted.

JVM, long time no see! No I didn't get a vita. Once I got into the iOS scene, I sort of lost interest in Sony and the psp/vita. I like having a device that is strong in other areas besides games, too. iPad is basically my computer but also has a pretty great selection of games.

That said, I played around with a vita at a target recently. Man, FIFA, wipeout, and hot shots were so good. Just like old times. I haven't had a chance to give lumines a go on it, but would love to. Honestly, if the psp go situation would have worked out for the better, I'd probably be a vita owner. I just got burnt by how they handled digital distribution. Sucks. If th vita would have released a year or two ago, I would have picked one up, no brainer. Even now there are games for it that look great (the ones I mentioned above). However, I just can't justify the price of games anymore, especially with what I can get on iOS and iPad.

If the price dropped significantly, I might jump back in though!

If we are talking about the 30 year old women and 75 year old men who had a DS for Brain Training than yes they are gone, but what percentage of the DS's sales did they really make up? Just look at the GBA. It was one of the fastest selling systems of all time and would have been the 2nd best selling system of all time if the DS hadn't killed it off. There is a larger reason why the 3DS is not selling that well and its because of the lack of releases and honestly I think software prices are too high.

Sony even attempting 50 dollar handheld games if a fucking joke.

50 dollars is insane.

The 3ds prices of 20-40 are reasonable, and releases have been pretty steady, and will constantly improve ( in theory). I think 3ds sales have been good considering the time we live in

jvm

Gamasutra.
JVM, long time no see! No I didn't get a vita. Once I got into the iOS scene, I sort of lost interest in Sony and the psp/vita. I like having a device that is strong in other areas besides games, too. iPad is basically my computer but also has a pretty great selection of games.

That said, I played around with a vita at a target recently. Man, FIFA, wipeout, and hot shots were so good. Just like old times. I haven't had a chance to give lumines a go on it, but would love to. Honestly, if the psp go situation would have worked out for the better, I'd probably be a vita owner. I just got burnt by how they handled digital distribution. Sucks. If th vita would have released a year or two ago, I would have picked one up, no brainer. Even now there are games for it that look great (the ones I mentioned above). However, I just can't justify the price of games anymore, especially with what I can get on iOS and iPad.

If the price dropped significantly, I might jump back in though!
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured had happened. I also haven't gotten a PSV yet, although I sometimes get a hankering to drop some cash on it. I'm a big Uncharted fan, so that would be my first purchase, probably.

When I think back to how badly Sony fumbled the PSP Go, and your experience in particular (waiting for key franchises to show up on the PS Store), it seems to me like some decent foreshadowing of how Sony has bungled the PSV. There are some good ideas there, but the hardware and software and UX all seem to be performing at different levels.

Miles X

I'm surprised Microsoft has yet to put out it's NPD PR with % marketshare for the month.

PSP 2012, technically.

They have, 47%

Which might suggest a bump from the $99 deals. They've only been above 47% 3 times previously.

Also interestingly, this is Wii's lowest month ever in terms of marketshare, 17%~

If this is correct, KH3D will have a full month of sales, it better put some impressive numbers.

Well looking at Amazon (lol i know) the 54.99 collectors edition has been hanging around the top 20 for a while now. I don't know if the 3DS userbase will go for it especially with the brand dilution that has happened with that series.

They have, 47%

Which might suggest a bump from the $99 deals. They've only been above 47% 3 times previously.
Did they put out official PR already?

I thought we were just going off the tweeted unit number and the tweet about the gap.

----

I think the PC deal probably also helped a bit.

----

EDIT: Thanks, jvm and Dynopia. :)

jvm

Gamasutra.
Because people keep asking, here is what I got:
MS PR said:
Halfway through 2012 Xbox 360 maintains its lead in the U.S. console market, marking 18 months as the top-selling current-generation console in the U.S.

June 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 257,000 units in June, holding 47 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 16th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, June 2012)

· Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in June (hardware, software and accessories) reached $272 million, the most for any console in the U.S; consumers spent more on Xbox 360 products than they spent on the other two current-generation consoles combined. (Source: NPD Group, June 2012)

· During the month of June, Xbox 360 held four of the top 10 U.S. console game titles including the top three titles. Xbox 360 titles in the top 10 included: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier,” “Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes,” “Max Payne 3” and “NBA 2K12.” (Source: NPD Group, June 2012)

Xbox continues offering more ways to play with the launch of Kinect PlayFit, a new fitness dashboard that aggregates and tracks the calories you burn from playing Kinect games, including “Dance Central 2,” “Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012” and “Kinect Star Wars.”

Xbox 360 will also be at Comic-Con International in San Diego this week with a series of exciting events including “Halo 4” and “Gears of War” panel presentations.

Miles X

Did they put out official PR already?

I thought we were just going off the tweeted unit number and the tweet about the gap.

----

I think the PC deal probably also helped a bit.

Yeah they put out PR, OP just hasn't updated yet.

Edit - thanks jvm

June 2012 U.S. NPD highlights:
· Xbox 360 sold 257,000 units in June, holding 47 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S. This marks the 16th consecutive month that Xbox 360 has held more than a 40 percent share of current-generation console sales in the U.S.

If they shipped more in December 2010 (low stock levels) and did a teeeny bit better in Feb 11, they'd be able to claim 40%+ for 24 consecutive months. Wonder if they'll ever get 50%

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured had happened. I also haven't gotten a PSV yet, although I sometimes get a hankering to drop some cash on it. I'm a big Uncharted fan, so that would be my first purchase, probably.

When I think back to how badly Sony fumbled the PSP Go, and your experience in particular (waiting for key franchises to show up on the PS Store), it seems to me like some decent foreshadowing of how Sony has bungled the PSV. There are some good ideas there, but the hardware and software and UX all seem to be performing at different levels.

Oh for sure. It was just really sloppy how they handled everything then. For a premium psp not to have key psp franchises like lumines (and many others that never released or released way too late), it was just a bad move and left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I remember the hardware being absolutely great for portable play. Kicked the stuff out of the psp 3000 in that regards. I wanted to be a fan! That's the sad part.

Massa

Looks like smart phone gaming is truly replacing dedicated handheld gaming with casual gamers.. ouch. They need to be $99. :S

Or... they need to not be a dedicated gaming handheld. Who knows, maybe Sony will launch an app store on the Vita or let people use it as a multimedia internet-connected device.

Well looking at Amazon (lol i know) the 54.99 collectors edition has been hanging around the top 20 for a while now. I don't know if the 3DS userbase will go for it especially with the brand dilution that has happened with that series.

KH is a popular rpg series. I think it will do fine.

But also remember every other KH has released at least 4 years into the systems life.

And the 3ds got it basically in the first.

So the user base might effect it

So that means:

360 - 257,000=47%
Wii - 95,000=~17%
PS3 - ~195,000=~36%

It's more like 190K, apparently.

For [my own] future reference...

Xbox 360: 257K (-49.3%)
PS3: 190K (-31.2%)
Nintendo 3DS: 155K (+8.4%)
Nintendo DS: 150K (-61.1%)
Wii: 95K (-65.2%)
Vita + PSP: ~100K [According to Nintendo's PR statements.]

With Vita around 75-80K... if it was around 1.5x May.

If this is correct, KH3D will have a full month of sales, it better put some impressive numbers.

358/2 Days debuted at 200k, but such numbers were only for few days since it came out September 29. Eventually, it sold 900k, am I right? I'm expecting KH3D to do at least 200k during the first month, which is absolutely doable.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
358/2 Days debuted at 200k, but such numbers were only for few days since it came out September 29. Eventually, it sold 900k, am I right? I'm expecting KH3D to do at least 200k during the first month, which is absolutely doable.

Here's a rough illustration of KH's NPD LTD trajectory.

kingdomheartst4l7j.png

Top Bottom