• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

noobie

Trent Strong said:
I'm more surprised by the lackluster PS3 sales.
really.? i am surprised that PS3 did better than last year after most of the month PSN was down. With so much negative press about credit card hack and security flaws of Sony Network, i think these are great results..
I was expecting PS3 numbers to be terrible.. below 150K..

neptunes

I want to see Wii numbers for the fall season, I wonder if it'll pick up or not....

Zelda wont do shit but Mario & Mario Kart should move units.

chubigans said:
Ok, here we go.
whatwillsave3DS.png

What will happen? Stay tuned to the GAF NPD threads for the answer!

You forgot list New Colors. RED in Japan comes 7/14.
photo2.jpg

Man

When is the first original 3DS game that may be considered a system seller?
Price drop to $199 is a guarantee this year.

Darklord

Banned
I think one of the biggest issues with the 3DS is people probably think it's a DS with 3D and a huge price tag. They didn't change it enough so that casual people who don't follow games would understand it's much more powerful and not just another DSlite, DSi, DSXL kind of thing.

Man said:
When is the first original 3DS game that may be considered a system seller?
Price drop to $199 is a guarantee this year.

Mario 3DS or Mario Kart 3DS?

I still don't really see happening a price drop during this year.

iidesuyo

Delio said:
Going by that the Vita will be just AS fucked. Guess dedicated handhelds are dead.

I guess Vita offers a lot more for the money. Nintendo is bragging about the huge profit they make while Sony will even lose money.

But yeah, I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't sell well. People still don't get the impact that smartphones have on the portable market.

eastmen

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
I'll say Gen. 6 pokemon will save the 3DS, but that gen is 3 or 4 years away and if the 3DS hasn't picked up sales by then well...I'de assume Nintendo would be rolling out a new successor to the system by then
really ? i'd say gen 6 pokemon is most likely next year.

This is what i thikn will happen.

zelda oot + vc store will boost it back over 100k per month. Mario and Mario kart will boost it back up over 200-300k a month and we will prob see it stay around that through this holiday with a price drop happening when vita launches in the states.

I'm going to say nintendo will sell around 10m of them through this holiday. Which will give them a sizable lead before sony is even out globaly .

After that who knows . The thing about the 3ds is its price and lack of software. If Nintendo had Zelda OOT as a launch title and then kid ic launching now they'd be in a better situation.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I wouldn't count the Vita out already. The thing that's holding the 3DS back aside from marketing confusion is content. A good marketing push for Uncharted: GA highlighting Vita's features could make it a potential system seller leading to a successful launch for the platform.

Mael

Wow 3DS numbers are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad, I think there's more 3DS sold LTD in France that have been sold this month in the US....barely and that's bad considering how much it's bombing here.
Guess ditching 2D gaming wasn't the best idea heh

CassSept

duk said:
I am surprised Wii beat the PS3, still selling okay then. But goes to show how well MS and Sony are keeping their systems a live longer.
Wii price drop

eastmen said:
Generation 6 won't come until late 2013 at earliest probably. We still have Pokemon Grey and possible Gen 3 remakes though.

FullMetal

Mael said:
Wow 3DS numbers are reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad, I think there's more 3DS sold LTD in France that have been sold this month in the US....barely and that's bad considering how much it's bombing here.
Guess ditching the DS price point wasn't the best idea heh

Fixed.

Mael

FullMetal said:
Huh the way it is, with what they've announced I wouldn't have taken a 3DS if it was free.

The best thing I've seen on it is actually Flipnote Studio, a DSiWare free download!

Ashes

The problem with that chart is mario kart. That is going to sell through the generation. What's mario kart ds on at the moment? When did it come out? If it fails, it's gonna sell ten million copies plus, yes?

edit: came out 2005. Currently @20 million. I don't know whether it's gonna save the 3ds as it were. But wholly fuck is it ever a sales phenomenon.

lockload

Even in Microsoft's zany, just maybe meetings before the 360 launched i bet they never imagined the position they are in at present, another great month of percentage increases

Mael

Ashes1396 said:
The problem with that chart is mario kart. That is going to sell through the generation. What's mario kart ds on at the moment? When did it come out? If it fails, it's gonna sell ten million copies plus, yes?

edit: came out 2005. Currently @20 million. I don't know whether it's gonna save the 3ds as it were. But wholly fuck is it ever a sales phenomenon.

Except that if it fails it will do Mario Kart DD numbers and will sink along with the 3DS...

UberTag

duk said:
I am surprised Wii beat the PS3, still selling okay then. But goes to show how well MS and Sony are keeping their systems a live longer.
I've been taken to task in this thread for saying the Wii will finish in 1st place ahead of the Xbox 360 next month so I wanted to illustrate why this will be the case.

First off, the end-of-month results for May:

Xbox 360: 270K (67.5K/week)
Wii - 236K (59K/week)
PlayStation 3: 177K (44.3K/week)

Now in March & April, sales for the Wii tracked behind the pace of the PS3... essentially, this was the first time the Wii finished in 3rd place in months where it wasn't supply constrained or where the competition had momentum induced by a big title release or a price drop.

MARCH
PS3 - 360K (72K/week)
Wii - 290K (58K/week)

APRIL
PS3 - 204.3K (51.1K/week)
Wii - 172K (43K/week)

In both months, the Wii was selling at about 80-85% the rate of the PS3. Just for shits and giggles, I will surmise that the Wii continued to sell at 80% of the PS3 rate in May prior to its new $149 Mario Kart bundle hitting stores on May 15th even though it was announced near the start of the month. It was probably closer to 75% but we'll go with 80%.

80% of the PS3's weekly sales rate for May = 35.4K/week
So after two weeks, the Wii was at 70.8K in total sales for the month.

It FINISHED with 236K. That means in Weeks 3 & 4 it was clocking a weekly sales rate of 82.6K/week. That's a significantly faster pace than the Xbox 360 clocked for the month. And that's being kind with the 80% of PS3 sales rate in light of the reduced price being announced ahead of time.

My belief is that the Wii is outselling the X360 in North America right now and should carry that momentum through June. That will taper off over July and August with both systems staying close and the Xbox 360 will re-emerge as a dominant force in the fall once Gears hits in September.

if nintendo wants to keep the 3ds above the $200 mark, they MAY be able to have a successful holiday if its bundled with mario kart...but no marketing push can give the 3ds solid holiday sales at $250 with nothing bundled.

*this is my first post from my 3ds browser! fitting isnt it? only took me 5 minutesto type this.

UberTag

perfectchaos007 said:
if nintendo wants to keep the 3ds above the $200 mark, they MAY be able to have a successful holiday if its bundled with mario kart...but no marketing push can give the 3ds solid holiday sales at $250 with nothing bundled.
Mario Kart bundle w/ red 3DS for the holidays at $249 would perform decently and move product. Nintendo does need to amp up the marketing message once they have their key legacy games out for it, though.

Go for the jugular when the Vita hits with a price drop and a Mario 3D bundle simultaneously. I'm thinking standalone 3DS at $169 and a Mario 3D bundle at $199.

But I'd keep the system itself at $249 for the remainder of 2011 apart from adding in Mario Kart for the holidays. The exception being running a Black Friday promotion at the new $169 price point for standalone systems.

I still believe the 3DS will be fine going forward. The Wii U is another story altogether.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
AniHawk said:
3ds sales are going to drop much lower. ocarina won't do shit, and by august it'll be below 60k.

september/holiday months should see it start to pick up, just because that's the season for everything to pick up, but without its brain age/gta iii thing, the machine might be the beginning of the end (or just the end) of their handheld dominance.
Seeing a post like this from as reasonable a poster as AniHawk really hammered home the strange times we're living in right now.

I agree with the general consensus that a DS like turnaround is going to be a lot harder to accomplish now. Nintendo need to pour a lot more time and attention into the 3DS than they have indicated they are at E3 if they want to make it a success.

duk

Banned
UberTag said:
I've been taken to task in this thread for saying the Wii will finish in 1st place ahead of the Xbox 360 next month so I wanted to illustrate why this will be the case.

First off, the end-of-month results for May:

Xbox 360: 270K (67.5K/week)
Wii - 236K (59K/week)
PlayStation 3: 177K (44.3K/week)

Now in March & April, sales for the Wii tracked behind the pace of the PS3... essentially, this was the first time the Wii finished in 3rd place in months where it wasn't supply constrained or where the competition had momentum induced by a big title release or a price drop.

MARCH
PS3 - 360K (72K/week)
Wii - 290K (58K/week)

APRIL
PS3 - 204.3K (51.1K/week)
Wii - 172K (43K/week)

In both months, the Wii was selling at about 80-85% the rate of the PS3. Just for shits and giggles, I will surmise that the Wii continued to sell at 80% of the PS3 rate in May prior to its new $149 Mario Kart bundle hitting stores on May 15th even though it was announced near the start of the month. It was probably closer to 75% but we'll go with 80%.

80% of the PS3's weekly sales rate for May = 35.4K/week
So after two weeks, the Wii was at 70.8K in total sales for the month.

It FINISHED with 236K. That means in Weeks 3 & 4 it was clocking a weekly sales rate of 82.6K/week. That's a significantly faster pace than the Xbox 360 clocked for the month. And that's being kind with the 80% of PS3 sales rate in light of the reduced price being announced ahead of time.

My belief is that the Wii is outselling the X360 in North America right now and should carry that momentum through June. That will taper off over July and August with both systems staying close and the Xbox 360 will re-emerge as a dominant force in the fall once Gears hits in September.

uhhh wut

AniHawk

Krev said:
Seeing a post like this from as reasonable a poster as AniHawk really hammered home the strange times we're living in right now.

to be fair i was also certain of the ds's and the wii's total failure back in 2005 and 2006. but this time it should probably really really happen this time for serious.

also it just seems likely given what summer months usually do.

AniHawk said:
to be fair i was also certain of the ds's and the wii's total failure back in 2005 and 2006. but this time it should probably really really happen this time for serious.

The good news for Nintendo in the DS and Wii gen, was they accomplished their goal of expanding the gaming market to women and the elderly. The bad news is they now have to figure out how to get their new market to adopt a new console. That hasn't been done before so they'll need to figure out how to do that.

Mael

AniHawk said:

Well DS started rather weakly, but Wii considering anything that happened after e3 06 I'm kinda baffed people didn't see it coming :/
I mean when both competitors advice consumers to buy their product ALONGSIDE a Wii it's pretty much a given that it would do well....

Seriously I remember it like yesterday :
MS : people will buy a 360 to go with that awesome Wii
Sony : they're wrong, they won't buy a 360 with that nifty Wii, they'll buy a PS3 with Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Raceeeeeeeeeeeer
Nintendo : people will buy a Wii.

UberTag

duk said:
I think I made my point quite clear that if the Wii maintained its sales pace from the prior two months for the first half of May it must have outsold the Xbox 360 following the release of the $149 Mario Kart bundle in order to clear 236K.

So yes, the Wii is outselling the Xbox 360 in North America as of right now and has been for the past month.
It is not DEAD LAST as so many people were claiming as recently as 24 hours ago.

radioheadrule83 said:
The thing I appreciate most about that blackboard image from Chubigans is that he actually kept the continuity and made it look as though someone had only half-wiped out the PS3 checklist underneath. Good work!
Agreed wholeheartedly. The blackboard is genius.

gerg

duk said:

As in, the Wii is now (as in "as we speak", so to speak) outselling the Xbox 360 on a weekly basis in America. We'll have to wait until the June NPD results to see if that is true.

The thing I appreciate most about that blackboard image from Chubigans is that he actually kept the continuity and made it look as though someone had only half-wiped out the PS3 checklist underneath. Good work!

test_account

XP-39C²
CadetMahoney said:
The only NPD evidence that PS3 exclusives are system sellers was for MGS4. Which saw a bump in consoles sold. So I can't smh hard enough when ppl say they'll buy a console for exclusives when theres no evidence of those same sequel farms being system sellers in the first place. Still, alot of known titles available at launch is better than what the 3DS had.
Why do you shake your head when people say what they personally feel is a system seller to them? I didnt say that it went for everyone, i was only talking a personal level, what i personally felt. It was a response to the "I don't know about the other people, but I've never chosen a PlayStation console for its first party titles" sentence :)

But speaking about system sellers, you're right that the only real way to get any evidence for it is to look for hardware sales bump when a (or several) specific game come out in the same week/month. However, i'm pretty sure that there are a lot of "hidden" system sellers out there. I mean, like i mention for me, God of War is a system seller for me personally. There are afterall some specific reasons why people decide to buy a console, and i think that it is usually because of the games.

Also, in my case, i bought a PS3 over a year before God of War 3 came out. If i didnt buy a PS3 at that time, then i surely would have bought it when God of War 3 came out. So in this case, my PS3 hardware sale was not registered in the same month as God of War 3 came out. I think that this situation can go for many people :)

Doncortez said:
Zelda release will not improve 3ds sales at all. Anyone who wanted to play Zelda on the 3ds already bought the system.
And why would they do that? To play Street Fighter and DOA?

Last month was not the first time the Wii slipped into 3rd, it was also there in September and October last year. Bottom line, without any new software, I don't see the 80k a week holding very long at all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
3DS needs a Mario game. It's that simple. Once it arrives the thing will take off, even at $250.

Gravijah

eastmen said:

What? Not a chance in hell. We'll most likely get Grey or RSE remakes announced for release next year. Then we'll get whatevers left out of those two for the year after. Then maybe we'll get Gen VI in late 2013 early 2014.

SmokyDave

Ushojax said:
3DS needs a Mario game. It's that simple. Once it arrives the thing will take off, even at $250.
I can't see it happening. I think it's as likely as the PS3 suddenly selling double after GT5's release.

Gravijah

SmokyDave said:
I can't see it happening. I think it's as likely as the PS3 suddenly selling double after GT5's release.

After May, one would hope the 3DS gets around to selling double, though. Heheh.

Barrett2

Doncortez said:
Zelda release will not improve 3ds sales at all. Anyone who wanted to play Zelda on the 3ds already bought the system.
I'm sure some people are specifically waiting for Zelda, just like some people are waiting for Mario Kart, etc. But, I think those groups are always small.

Any system that relies on the next 'big game' to double console sales is in trouble.

I think it's a combination of things: price, games, consumer disinterest in 3D, smartphone competition, similarity to the DS. It's all those things that lead me to believe 3DS has a long, hard road ahead of it.

MYE

chubigans said:
Ok, here we go.
whatwillsave3DS.png

What will happen? Stay tuned to the GAF NPD threads for the answer!

You know what would save the 3DS (and NGPVITAPSP2 whatever) or at least my interest in handheld systems?

Losing all the worthless shit that has no business being on portable systems and giving it 10/12+ hours of battery life.

Stop making handheld versions of home consoles for fucks sake. These are already becoming convoluted as shit lately. I'm actually scared of turning on my PS3 after a month break.

Put game in > fire up system > play game. Everything else can go fuck itself towards the sun.

Gameboy for life!

Cromat

Ushojax said:

I'm pretty sure nothing can make it take off at $250.
It's way overpriced.

I think the most reasonable scenario is either a price drop to $199 in time for holidays or some kind of bundle. Whether a price drop and the holiday period games can make it take off is the big question.

Mael

Ushojax said:

And by Mario game you actually mean a sidescroller because Mario 64 DS certainly didn't help anything, and let's not even talk about the Galaxy games.

MYE said:
Put game in > fire up system > play game. Everything else can go fuck itself towards the sun.

Gameboy for life!

That's something I can get behind!
Seriously losing that 10hrs battery life certainly was part of the reason it's faring so badly.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
lockload said:
Even in Microsoft's zany, just maybe meetings before the 360 launched i bet they never imagined the position they are in at present, another great month of percentage increases
I just had to buy a new 360 after my old one crapped out on me.

I guess the RROD was a blessing for M$ after all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Delio said:
Zelda wont do anything.

Agreed.

Delio said:
And xmas might not get a huge push either..

Crazy talk. Super Mario and Mario Kart 3D will be out this holiday season.

Mael

Plinko said:
Agreed.

Crazy talk. Super Mario and Mario Kart 3D will be out this holiday season.

And looking at how past 3d Mario pushed any system, Mario Kart will do all the pushing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mael said:
And looking at how past 3d Mario pushed any system, Mario Kart will do all the pushing.

It's a Mario game for a handheld. They've all done well.

Top Bottom