• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

Father_Brain said:
I generally don't agree with the notion that 3DS' current fortunes have more to do with its price point than its software lineup, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that a high hardware price impacts sales of some kinds of software more than others, and the most casual software is probably the most substantially harmed.
I think it's cyclical too. Nintencats could be much more of a legitimate system seller for a $150 system versus a $250 system. It might not be necessarily that there'd be more casual 3DS owners who'd then decide to buy the game, but instead the game would sell more casual gamers on the system at that pricepoint.

Honestly, I just don't think you can reach a massmarket audience with a dedicated games handheld above $200. That might work for consoles, but people have different standards and expectations for handhelds. Even at $199, I think you'd see a lot more mainstream interest in 3DS generally.

lawblob said:
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

That's still pretty damn crazy. A brand new system should have, I would think, a much more software hungry install base than for a 6 year old, pirate-riddled machine. But still, I guess there are a helluva lot of PSPs still out in the wild.
PSP also has a ton of sub-$10 games in budget and bargain bins all over. While PSP software beat 3DS in raw numbers, it might actually have not in dollars.

FrankT

Jonnyram said:
So turns out 3DS tie ratio is 1.23. Not too hot, considering there is nothing big until the holiday season. Wonder if we will see the hardware sales drop below PSP during the year.

May software sales per platform, for those who are interested:
360 >>>>>> Wii = PS3 > DS >>>>>> PSP >> 3DS

Interesting stuff.

DR2K

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
So what's the chances of the Zelda bump quintupling 3DS sales this month?

About as much as Nintendo releasing Mario Kart and Mario 3D and reducing the price of the 3DS to 149.99 within the week.

sfog

AbsoluteZero said:

There's no way that'll happen at this point. I do expect it to beat 97K though, although I wouldn't even count on it hitting 200K.

donny2112

Did we ever get specific 3DS or DS sales to use in prediction results?

The 97K 3DS sales is based on 50% of April, I think, which wouldn't be specific enough (50%, that is).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
donny2112 said:

The 97K 3DS sales is based on 50% of April, I think, which wouldn't be specific enough (50%, that is).
We got DS numbers from JVM's Gamasutra thread I believe. Can't seem to find the thread via search though. :(

It'll be real interesting to see how a major Nintendo franchise, albeit a remake of an old game, will affect 3DS sales.

donny2112 said:

Pachter released the Wii and 3DS figures I thought.

donny2112

chubigans said:
We got DS numbers from JVM's Gamasutra thread I believe. Can't seem to find the thread via search though. :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434313

Just says that DS was ~2x 3DS. :(

zomgbbqftw said:
Pachter released the Wii and 3DS figures I thought.

Thought he said 3DS dropped by ~50% from April. That wouldn't be close enough. However looking back at jvm's article, he has official figures for March+April+May (~687K), which would put May at ~95K. That's good enough for 3DS. :) Just need DS, then ...

AbsoluteZero said:

Quintuple? Not gunna happen.

However, this is going to effectively relaunch the 3DS to Nintendo faithfuls, so I'd imagine at least double this month. This is the game that a good number of people are buying the system for.

Next Major Nintendo release is in September for the 3DS. Resident Evil could help pull people in, but being just Mercenaries is a hard sell to some.

thirty

Banned
As I mess around with more games on my smartphone, the problem with 3ds is definitely the hardware. There's no reason any game should look better on a phone when compared to standalone hardware but it does now. I think the biggest issue is screen resolution. New phones have these big beautiful screens and the 3ds screen simply looks like garbage when you compare.

Top it off with many 3ds titles looking like souped Saturn and Playstation holdbacks as well as the system itself physically not much different than a 3ds lite and it just makes for one big shitstorm of bad.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
thirty said:
As I mess around with more games on my smartphone, the problem with 3ds is definitely the hardware. There's no reason any game should look better on a phone when compared to standalone hardware but it does now. I think the biggest issue is screen resolution. New phones have these big beautiful screens and the 3ds screen simply looks like garbage when you compare.

Top it off with many 3ds titles looking like souped Saturn and Playstation holdbacks as well as the system itself physically not much different than a 3ds lite and it just makes for one big shitstorm of bad.

I know it's anecdotal but not once have I heard anyone say they aren't buying a 3DS because smartphone games look better.

Each and every time the answer is the same: Put out some games I want and I'll buy one. The software for this launch period was horrendous.

thirty

Banned
They aren't going to buy or say anything because it's not even a thought. What's already in their pocket does more, looks better and has cheaper games to boot. Nintendo screwed themselves betting on 3d. Money wasted on tech that many people here have complained does nothing for the games could have gone into beefing up the graphics.

beast786

Perception about 3DS.

This is from Yahoo.

Upgrade Your Life: Wait, don’t upgrade

Nintendo DS vs. Nintendo 3DS

The 3DS is the latest version of Nintendo's DS handheld game console. Its schtick is that it plays 3d games that don't need any glasses, which is fun if it doesn't make your eyes sore. But it just came out this year, so there are very few 3d games available ... and if you want to buy them, you'll have to pay full retail price.

Becky's suggestion? Stick with your old DS. There are literally hundreds of DS titles out there, and many of them can be found used at places like Gamestop. Even a new DS title doesn't cost as much as new 3DS games, so you get more games for your money.

The best part is that old DS games work just fine on the 3DS. So when you finally do upgrade, you won't have to leave your whole library behind.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/upgrade-life-wait-don-t-upgrade-160134353.html

noobie

Previously we use to sometime get Canada NPD (mostly software related numbers).. for a long time i havent seen any Canadian numbers... dont they get leak now or NPD has stopped covering Canada altogether.?

jvm

Gamasutra.
noobie said:
Previously we use to sometime get Canada NPD (mostly software related numbers).. for a long time i havent seen any Canadian numbers... dont they get leak now or NPD has stopped covering Canada altogether.?
I believe they still cover it, but pulled back on releasing numbers to the press.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I know the DS/3DS confusion (both on the part of consumers, and unhelpful marketing by retailers/Nintendo) has been discussed in these threads before, but it took on more significance for me today when I was out with the kids looking through Toys R Us.

I walked past a wall of games for each of PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, and Wii, and then wondered "Where did the 3DS section end up?" So I walked back through and game aisle and there was nothing. Then it hit me ... what if they mixed them in with the DS games?

Sure enough, the 3DS games are all mixed in with the Nintendo DS games, but someone had helpfully added a little piece of posterboard above each 3DS game with a hand-written "3DS GAME" label. I laughed out loud at how pitifully it was handled.

Whether to blame TRU or Nintendo? Not sure, but it was truly sad to see.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jvm said:
I know the DS/3DS confusion (both on the part of consumers, and unhelpful marketing by retailers/Nintendo) has been discussed in these threads before, but it took on more significance for me today when I was out with the kids looking through Toys R Us.

I walked past a wall of games for each of PSP, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, and Wii, and then wondered "Where did the 3DS section end up?" So I walked back through and game aisle and there was nothing. Then it hit me ... what if they mixed them in with the DS games?

Sure enough, the 3DS games are all mixed in with the Nintendo DS games, but someone had helpfully added a little piece of posterboard above each 3DS game with a hand-written "3DS GAME" label. I laughed out loud at how pitifully it was handled.

Man, has there ever been another console/handheld with the kind of identity crisis that the 3DS has?

noobie

jvm said:
I believe they still cover it, but pulled back on releasing numbers to the press.

So even MS and Nintendo are not allowed to disclose Canada numbers.? i dont expect it from Sony but MS and Nintendo should have said those numbers..

dvolovets

beast786 said:
Perception about 3DS.

This is from Yahoo.

Upgrade Your Life: Wait, don’t upgrade

Nintendo DS vs. Nintendo 3DS

The 3DS is the latest version of Nintendo's DS handheld game console. Its schtick is that it plays 3d games that don't need any glasses, which is fun if it doesn't make your eyes sore. But it just came out this year, so there are very few 3d games available ... and if you want to buy them, you'll have to pay full retail price.

Becky's suggestion? Stick with your old DS. There are literally hundreds of DS titles out there, and many of them can be found used at places like Gamestop. Even a new DS title doesn't cost as much as new 3DS games, so you get more games for your money.

The best part is that old DS games work just fine on the 3DS. So when you finally do upgrade, you won't have to leave your whole library behind.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/upgrade-life-wait-don-t-upgrade-160134353.html
Holy shit. I don't understand how Nintendo's marketing department didn't see this coming. It doesn't seem like they learned their lesson, as the Wii U might as well be the name of their new controller and not a completely new console (as far as the average consumer is concerned).

Busaiku

It's gonna be a problem for Wii U, but definitely not on the level that 3DS is experiencing.
Unlike 3DS, Wii U doesn't look almost identical to its predecessor in any way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jvm said:

This is amazing.

Busaiku said:
It's gonna be a problem for Wii U, but definitely not on the level that 3DS is experiencing.
I think making the box art very, very different will be highly important for them.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Busaiku said:
Hey, you can't make the system stand, so it'll definitely look different on the box.
I mean the game box art and shape.

_-lego-pirates-of-the-m76i.jpg
_-lego-pirates-of-the-l79e.jpg

Dragon

Banned
Busaiku said:

You're giving credit to the customers that don't know the difference between the word Wii and the word WiiU. People don't research, they buy the thing that is the most popular. Hopefully for Nintendo that's the WiiU. The Wii lasted three or four years in America and hopefully the same happens for the WiiU. I don't see it happening. But I'm a pessimistic bastard.

Busaiku

Oh yeah, that could be an issue.
Maybe they'll shrink the box size.
TheBranca18 said:
You're giving credit to the customers that don't know the difference between the word Wii and the word WiiU.
Sure people are stupid, but with the Wii consumers haven't been buying multiple systems (like many did with DS), and the Wii U doesn't look almost exactly its predecessor when closed (well, WiiU can't close, but whatever).

Burai

shitonmychest57
jvm said:

I see that a lot in non-dedicated game stores. Supermarkets especially.

You can't blame them. The boxes look the same at first glance, the hardware looks the same. It just doesn't look like a new platform.

Add to that the fact that it's not selling, that there's little excitement or momentum and that there aren't that many games yet and you have no incentive to cut the shelf space of better-selling, established product.

Madao

jvm said:

the same thing happens in my country.
3DS games thrown together among DS games lazily.

there needs to me more games pushing the system hard. the other day i had some guy tell me that OoT looked "just like on N64". i told him the n64 one looks much worse but couldnt' explain more without having the game on hand.
also, most people can't see the sweet spot easily. this is hampering the whole 3D thing since no one can see it other than who is playing and even if you lend the system, people won't see it properly right away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Overpriced poorly marketed system with shameful software library sells terribly. Nobody should be surprised, and its worrying to think Nintendo might be.

Optimism would say that Mario Kart and Mario Bros. 3D will give the system a big boost, but skeptism says otherwise. I have no idea who's fault it is, but the marketing for this device has been some of the worst I've ever seen for a piece of gaming hardware. Zero consumer education, and about as much incentive to jump into a new generation.

Catastrophic failure on Nintendo's part for following up the Nintendo DS with this, and I'm really not confident it will change. They're going to need some serious killer apps and an overhaul of marketing, and they need it now.

apana

When sales are good everything that a company is doing is a genius move and when sales are bad every move that they make is a mistake.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
apana said:
When sales are good everything that a company is doing is a genius move and when sales are bad every move that they make is a mistake.
There's a tendency in the industry (and even among industry companies) to overestimate the strength of the winner and underestimate the strength of the loser.

That said, I think Nintendo significantly overestimated the strength of their wins with the Wii and DS, and thus did not make much effort in addressing their faults coming into this generation.

Since their system is upgradeable, marketing campaigns can change, they have a high profit margin on units, and they have a large stable of development/partner studios to make games, they can certainly address the issues online, marketing, price, and games, but until they take these issues very seriously, I feel they're going to continue to struggle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm not going to pretend to be totally on-the-ball regarding the current sales environment, setting aside issues like an abysmal software library and price, the amount of times I've seen people assume the 3DS is just a 3D screen for a DS is really amazing. I can't be sure whether my experience is an abnormal one, but it certainly seems to me like Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot (i dont know how much you know about--) by strongly pushing the DS brand and then releasing so many incremental rebrandings. Short of a massive, smart marketing campaign, it seems like they pushed themselves into a corner where the only safe business decision would have been to name the 3DS the Nintendo DS2.

I'm sure I just stated an often repeated obvious, but hey, I don't follow these threads, so shoot me.

jvm said:

Did they have a demo unit?

Because it's July 2011, and my local TRU does NOT have a demo unit.

And yeah, Nintendo should redo the box. Didnt MS and Sony do that this gen?

Maybe reverse the black and the white on the side bar?

Nirolak said:
There's a tendency in the industry (and even among industry companies) to overestimate the strength of the winner and underestimate the strength of the loser.

That said, I think Nintendo significantly overestimated the strength of their wins with the Wii and DS, and thus did not make much effort in addressing their faults coming into this generation.

Nintendo, the new Sony?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
Catastrophic failure on Nintendo's part for following up the Nintendo DS with this, and I'm really not confident it will change. They're going to need some serious killer apps and an overhaul of marketing, and they need it now.
Agreed.

xbhaskarx

Rez said:
While I'm not going to pretend to be totally on-the-ball regarding the current sales environment, setting aside issues like an abysmal software library and price, the amount of times I've seen people assume the 3DS is just a 3D screen for a DS is really amazing. I can't be sure whether my experience is an abnormal one, but it certainly seems to me like Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot (i dont know how much you know about--) by strongly pushing the DS brand and then releasing so many incremental rebrandings. Short of a massive, smart marketing campaign, it seems like they pushed themselves into a corner where the only safe business decision would have been to name the 3DS the Nintendo DSU.

Fixed for the lesson they appear to have learned from this.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmh,there are similarities with the PS3 situation (a slow start with the precedent console winning the generation,high prices,not appealing software),but there are very important differencies
First of all,N has a very good profit for every unit sold,so they CAN cut the price if needed without losing money.
Secondly,also the DS started slow,and that was the follow up to the GBA...and GBA outsold both DS AND PSP for the whole year.DS started to become a legend with Mario and the Lite model.
Finally,3DS has some killer software for the Holidays.
Mario and Mario Kart,but also Kid Icarus,and even Metal Gear Solid.
I think N will bring the red model here for the Holidays,and it would be perfect.
However...yeah,they have to step up their marketing plans...and it is so strange seeing them with a "poor" marketing for their new console.Maybe,they are the first to think that it is in Holidays that the console will need the marketing boost.
But the more important thing im my opinion is that they have to start producing new mass-market software,such as Brain Training and Nintendogs,but new and able to be showcases of the strenght of the hardware.So,games relying on 3D and AR...a Visual Training is so impossible to think?
And if they release a new BT as it seems,they need to sell it always at a budget price,but with more and more content...I don't know,some games from the Clubhouse software?
Because,it is always in this way:it's the software the factor selling the hardware,and at least Mario and Mario Kart are very strong

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Shadow of the BEAST said:
I dont think ps3 ever slold 97k in a month.

Yeah.
In fact,it sold in April,May and June 2007 respectively 82k,82k and 98.500 units.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
I dont think ps3 ever slold 97k in a month.

There were several less-than-100K months. I remember because of the pole-vaulting GIF.

That said, the dedicated games store I frequent has the 3DS games shoved into a little corner just about the DS section. It's not lumping them in together, but it's not helping the 3DS stand out as its own system either.

[Nintex]

Mpl90 said:
Mmh,there are similarities with the PS3 situation (a slow start with the precedent console winning the generation,high prices,not appealing software),but there are very important differencies
First of all,N has a very good profit for every unit sold,so they CAN cut the price if needed without losing money.
Secondly,also the DS started slow,and that was the follow up to the GBA...and GBA outsold both DS AND PSP for the whole year.DS started to become a legend with Mario and the Lite model.
Finally,3DS has some killer software for the Holidays.
Mario and Mario Kart,but also Kid Icarus,and even Metal Gear Solid.
I think N will bring the red model here for the Holidays,and it would be perfect.
However...yeah,they have to step up their marketing plans...and it is so strange seeing them with a "poor" marketing for their new console.Maybe,they are the first to think that it is in Holidays that the console will need the marketing boost.
But the more important thing im my opinion is that they have to start producing new mass-market software,such as Brain Training and Nintendogs,but new and able to be showcases of the strenght of the hardware.So,games relying on 3D and AR...a Visual Training is so impossible to think?
And if they release a new BT as it seems,they need to sell it always at a budget price,but with more and more content...I don't know,some games from the Clubhouse software?
Because,it is always in this way:it's the software the factor selling the hardware,and at least Mario and Mario Kart are very strong
The main difference between Sony and Nintendo is that Sony keeps pouring billions into a failed project to turn it around. Nintendo would just cut it loose and launch a new gameboy if the 3DS keeps tanking after Mario and Mario Kart are out or they'd put it on life support like the GameCube.

Top Bottom