• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

Mael

lunchwithyuzo said:
lol, no it didn't. Mario 64 DS sold almost twice as much as the best selling Mario Advance game.

The sales were certainly tepid compared to nsmb which is pretty much my point.
If you want a closer example look at how the Mario Galaxies pushed the Wii and you can certainly see that Mario Kart is a bigger factor to 3DS success.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Mael said:
The sales were certainly tepid compared to nsmb which is pretty much my point.
NSMB was the first original handheld Mario in 14 years. Of course it sold much better than Mario Advance and 64 DS.
Not really a comparable situation.

Mael

Krev said:
NSMB was the first original handheld Mario in 14 years. Of course it sold much better than Mario Advance and 64 DS.
Not really a comparable situation.

AND it pushed the hardware to heaven pretty much,
on Wii it was similar, Wii didn't do 4M in december 2009 on the strengh of WSR alone :/

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 DS sold well but did nothing to push the hardware they were on.
Hence my comment that Mario Kart will do the pushing (as evidenced by the fact that both DS and Wii version pushed the system for quite some time).

Nintendo did the right thing when setting the 3DS at 250 dollars. Marketing and launch line up was a disaster thought.

I understand the reasons why the couldn't release the 3DS the past holiday season or why they won't be able to release the Wii U this one. But i think idealy considering the hardware specs and the competition these 2 systems will face a 2010 and 2011 holiday release would have been great.

UberTag said:
I've been taken to task in this thread for saying the Wii will finish in 1st place ahead of the Xbox 360 next month so I wanted to illustrate why this will be the case.

First off, the end-of-month results for May:

Xbox 360: 270K (67.5K/week)
Wii - 236K (59K/week)
PlayStation 3: 177K (44.3K/week)

Now in March & April, sales for the Wii tracked behind the pace of the PS3... essentially, this was the first time the Wii finished in 3rd place in months where it wasn't supply constrained or where the competition had momentum induced by a big title release or a price drop.

MARCH
PS3 - 360K (72K/week)
Wii - 290K (58K/week)

APRIL
PS3 - 204.3K (51.1K/week)
Wii - 172K (43K/week)

In both months, the Wii was selling at about 80-85% the rate of the PS3. Just for shits and giggles, I will surmise that the Wii continued to sell at 80% of the PS3 rate in May prior to its new $149 Mario Kart bundle hitting stores on May 15th even though it was announced near the start of the month. It was probably closer to 75% but we'll go with 80%.

80% of the PS3's weekly sales rate for May = 35.4K/week
So after two weeks, the Wii was at 70.8K in total sales for the month.

It FINISHED with 236K. That means in Weeks 3 & 4 it was clocking a weekly sales rate of 82.6K/week. That's a significantly faster pace than the Xbox 360 clocked for the month. And that's being kind with the 80% of PS3 sales rate in light of the reduced price being announced ahead of time.

My belief is that the Wii is outselling the X360 in North America right now and should carry that momentum through June. That will taper off over July and August with both systems staying close and the Xbox 360 will re-emerge as a dominant force in the fall once Gears hits in September.

Didn't someone in this thread say that the Wii numbers are not correct? I guess there's always the possibility he was talking out of his ass.

jvm

Gamasutra.
AranhaHunter said:
Didn't someone in this thread say that the Wii numbers are not correct? I guess there's always the possibility he was talking out of his ass.
I've asked for a clarification from Pachter and the Wii number in this thread is correct according to him.

faridmon

Stupid price point made me not buy the stupid system. But again, thanks to that pricepoint, I woulnd't wait for a revision. So it goes both ways.

Cromat said:
Nintendo 3DS - $250 with $35-$40 dollar games
Apple iPod Touch 32GB - $300 with $1 dollar games

It simply is a terrible value proposition for most customers. The rules have changed.

You can buy a brand new current gen iPod Touches for $199.

soldat7

Darklord said:
I think one of the biggest issues with the 3DS is people probably think it's a DS with 3D and a huge price tag. They didn't change it enough so that casual people who don't follow games would understand it's much more powerful and not just another DSlite, DSi, DSXL kind of thing.

But that's pretty much how Nintendo has positioned the 3DS, and I'm afraid the Wii U might suffer the same fate. What was that definition of insanity again...?

Jokeropia

Mr. B Natural said:
Nintendo's in a whole new level and a whole new light now than they were when they were struggling 7 years ago. The DS was not a proven concept, while the 3ds is the successor to the best selling portable console of all time.
Nintendo was not struggling in the handheld market 7 years ago (prior to DS release) and the DS was the successor to the best selling portable console of all time in the US. (And don't go "third pillar" on me. The 3DS has the same identity problems as the DS did back then (if not worse) as Nintendo has not clearly positioned it as the successor to the DS rather than just another revision. The DS was originally not marketed as the successor to the GBA, but at least people realized it was a new system.
Mr. B Natural said:
The biggest selling games for the DS barely used the DS functionality
Nintendogs, Brain Training, Brain Training 2. The first two in particular were very important for DS success.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jokeropia said:
Nintendo was not struggling in the handheld market 7 years ago (prior to DS release) and the DS was the successor to the best selling portable console of all time in the US. (And don't go "third pillar" on me. The 3DS has the same identity problems as the DS did back then (if not worse) as Nintendo has not clearly positioned it as the successor to the DS rather than just another revision. The DS was originally not marketed as the successor to the GBA, but at least people realized it was a new system.
Nintendogs, Brain Training, Brain Training 2. The first two in particular were very important for DS success.
What are DS sales like these days?

donny2112

Jokeropia said:
Pretty similar to GBA back when DS was new, actually.

Nah. DS was tanking, and GBA was outselling PSP and DS. You may be thinking of how GBA sold when the WII was new, though. That was when the PS3 vs. GBA GIFs were all the rage.

Jokeropia

No, what I'm saying is that GBA sales when DS was new (early-mid 2005) were pretty similar to DS sales right now. As you say, GBA was outselling PSP and DS then, similar to how DS is outselling 3DS and PSP right now.

I.e. GBA early-mid 2005 ≈ DS early-mid 2011.

onipex

Jokeropia said:
No, what I'm saying is that GBA sales when DS was new (early-mid 2005) were pretty similar to DS sales right now. As you say, GBA was outselling PSP and DS then, similar to how DS is outselling 3DS and PSP right now.

I.e. GBA early-mid 2005 ≈ DS early-mid 2011.

Yeah, I think the DS sold under 60k in May 2005 and the GBA was over 200k.

MYE said:
Stop making handheld versions of home consoles for fucks sake. These are already becoming convoluted as shit lately. I'm actually scared of turning on my PS3 after a month break

Actually I kinda think that the bolded part above might end up being the savior of at least the Vita in the upcoming few years. From all that I saw at E3 Sony has worked really hard to make it possible to port games and assets from the PS3 pipeline into the Vita pipeline. Also given that this generation is going to be lasting longer than normal for the PS3 and the 360 this means that there could be several good years of easy porting of PS3 versions of games to Vita games.

If this porting process is easy it could mean that even if Vita sales are low we still would get a solid flow of games coming into the system. If getting a port from PS3 to Vita is a quick and cheap process then developers with PS3 games in the pipeline would have a pretty easy choice to make to toss on a Vita version. Plus these games would be the types of games that would be the hardest to duplicate on an iPhone / iPad, so it would move away from that pressure some.

duk

Banned
I just feel like the industry is setting itself up for failure. Too many damn platforms coming out.

Kozak

Banned
chubigans said:
Ok, here we go.
whatwillsave3DS.png

What will happen? Stay tuned to the GAF NPD threads for the answer!

231432047.jpg

Jonnyram

So turns out 3DS tie ratio is 1.23. Not too hot, considering there is nothing big until the holiday season. Wonder if we will see the hardware sales drop below PSP during the year.

May software sales per platform, for those who are interested:
360 >>>>>> Wii = PS3 > DS >>>>>> PSP >> 3DS

jvm

Gamasutra.
Jonnyram said:
So turns out 3DS tie ratio is 1.23. Not too hot, considering there is nothing big until the holiday season. Wonder if we will see the hardware sales drop below PSP during the year.

Tie ratio is 1.23? Pachter has said otherwise. Source?

Edit: Also, are you hinting at units? Can't be dollars.

Thoraxes

For having only 2-3 interesting titles, the 3DS is doing pretty damn well despite a lack of software. Sure it's off to a slow start, but so was the original DS, which had the same problem. In a year, this thread will look like a joke.
I hope.

SmokyDave said:
That is nuts.

Kinda makes sense for software though. There are like 17 million PSPs in the US and only like 700K (is this number right?) 3DSes. Dead system or no the PSP has to move some numbers. And with the weak launch titles of the 3DS it seems reasonable.

Clunker

JonnyRam said:
Jesus, that's just adding insult to injury.

To clarify, I know that it's software, which I think is even more of an insult than if they were hardware figures.

If this month software sales is any kind of indicative of the rule, the software tie-ratio of Wii has to be amazingly low compared with 360 or PS3. Much more Wiis than 360 or PS3, and less software sales.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DangerousDave said:
If this month software sales is any kind of indicative of the rule, the software tie-ratio of Wii has to be amazingly low compared with 360 or PS3. Much more Wiis than 360 or PS3, and less software sales.

I thought at last figure the software tie-ratio was actually pretty close.

Plinko said:
I thought at last figure the software tie-ratio was actually pretty close.
Yeah, I think tie-ratio is basically within 1 game of PS3. Which is pretty amazing considering how many Wii are out there, how big it's casual audience is and the fact that every Wii ever sold already comes with at least one game that doesn't count towards that ratio.

Majmun

I remember the first Nintendog game being very popular on the DS.

I'm sure Nintendo are disappointed at the lack of success from the new iteration.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Second said:

I'm sure Nintendo are disappointed at the lack of success from the new iteration.

When Nintendogs came out it didn't cost $250 to get the console to play it on. If Nintendo expected their lazy launch offerings to convince people to buy the console then sadly they were delusional.

Ushojax said:
When Nintendogs came out it didn't cost $250 to get the console to play it on. If Nintendo expected their lazy launch offerings to convince people to buy the console then sadly they were delusional.
True. There's a world of difference launching on a $130 platform versus a $250 platform.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Second said:

Isn't it almost identical to the first one?

FoneBone

People really think that OoT won't push hardware at all? I can't see it not boosting sales month-to-month. It'll crash back down in July and August, of course.

Cygnus X-1

Second said:

Sure, but it's almost identical to its predecessor. And it doesn't take advantage of the 3D effect at all, while Nintendogs used both double screen and touch screen.

lunchwithyuzo said:
True. There's a world of difference launching on a $130 platform versus a $250 platform.

I generally don't agree with the notion that 3DS' current fortunes have more to do with its price point than its software lineup, but I think it's reasonable to suggest that a high hardware price impacts sales of some kinds of software more than others, and the most casual software is probably the most substantially harmed.

Barrett2

gerg said:
Are you basing that on Jonnyram's figures? Because those are for the software, not hardware.
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.

That's still pretty damn crazy. A brand new system should have, I would think, a much more software hungry install base than for a 6 year old, pirate-riddled machine. But still, I guess there are a helluva lot of PSPs still out in the wild.

Top Bottom