• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2011 Sales Results [Update 7: Skyrim, CoD Wii, PC Retail Sales Up 57%]

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A lot of the people chanting the "2D platforms 15 bucks XBLA only" mantra don't even seem to know what Rayman Origins is.

The game has more content and production values than ALL the damn $15 XBLA platformers, and is a bigger and meatier game than a lot of $60 titles that have 5 hour campaigns and hinge on multiplayer to create value.

Sorry, I am just tired of this false equivalency between every game that's been regulated to an oversimplified category.

I'd say the reason why the game went retail was because it ended up having so much content and is a "big" game in every way except that it isn't first person view with a gun, and 5 hours of scenery and pop-up targets streaming by. Should it have been $60? No. But not $15 or even $25. The $39.99 price point would have been perfect for it.

However, even setting price aside, Rayman is not a big name anymore, I feel, aside from what hardcore fans think. I do agree not launching it on PC simultaneously was a serious error; it may have gotten a head start on enjoying a long tail there.

gdt

I know a few people who only own/play CoD. My buddy who I'm really tight with, I try to get to check out new stuff, but he won't do. Tried to get him to borrow Halo Reach, even put it in his hand, and he said "it's probably good and all, but I'd just be wasting time, instead of playing CoD".

Battlefield 3 visuals blew his mind out of his ass, but he's still sticking with CoD. So sad :/.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's worth the full price ($45-50) as much as any other game I've played this year, except Dark Souls which is worth 100 :)

It launched with terrible timing anyhow.

Rayman could have had content worth a 100$ and I still wouldn't buy it right now. Timing was a huuuge issue but with a lower pricepoint they could have remedied that.

I disagree, quite strongly.

Well, of course you disagree; you have an extraordinarily black-and-white picture of the market.

In the 1980's, all gamers were new gamers.

Well, one, that's not exactly true -- by the time Nintendo got into the home console market, arcade video games were already ten years old.

But secondly, this is really at the heart of the problem with your concept here. You posit this massive audience lying in wait who have no interest in current games but behave exactly like gaming hobbyists as long as their ultra-specific needs are being met. While there's certainly a portion like this (products like 2D Mario that are unambiguously games and serve a market of gamers who were less enthused by other popular offerings), the lion's share of Nintendo's "expanded market" growth is off the backs of people who have no specific interest in "gaming" at all and instead just had other desires that Nintendo's products served: parents who wanted something fun to do with their kids, old people who wanted something to keep their minds sharp, people who wanted to get the effects of exercise without all the hard work.

These audiences are inherently flightier not because there's anything wrong with them, but because they're fulfilling a tangential need with Nintendo's products rather than a core one. If someone who was a Brain Training buyer seven years ago suddenly wants to, I dunno, get into the habit of using an expense tracking service or learning how to fish or whatever, they're not going to look first to Nintendo because gaming isn't a core value for them.

Every entertainment medium has to expand until it's become mainstream. Video games haven't accomplished that yet.

Approximately every single person on earth has played FarmVille or Angry Birds at this point. Just about every child in America who grows up above the poverty line and outside of a freakish fundamentalist household owns at least one video gaming device. That's pretty freakin' mainstream.

I also don't think that it requires genius level innovation to make these hit games.

"Genius" is a misleading word, but the point is that all of Nintendo's "expanded-market" hits are singular: they each identify a completely untapped market, create the optimal configuration for tapping it, and consume it in the process. Brain Training and Wii Fit tapped into a latent desire for self-improvement, but in the process opened up both genres to ten thousand imitators that collectively can serve the market more thoroughly than the singular Nintendo effort. Wii Sports effectively created a family-oriented gaming environment -- one in which Nintendo hasn't had a hit in years and Kinect has moved in by offering something new.

Like, to go back to the (problematic) ocean metaphor, blue oceans are a fundamentally limited resource. If you find success in one, sharks follow you there and suddenly all that competition you avoided is present again. The more you successfully identify and seize, the fewer options you have next time. And it's fairly clear, I think, that Nintendo doesn't even have much incremental advantage anymore in some of these genres they opened up anymore.

As for Apple, they make hardware, they don't make games.

That's exactly the point. Nintendo can't compete for the money of people whose primary interest is in nifty stuff because they aren't a nifty-stuff company. For the portion of the audience that plays games purely as a low-key source of entertainment rather than out of a concrete desire to play games, Nintendo has nothing unique to offer.

Nintendo have had to retrench to their classic market, the people who want to buy their actual games, because they're a game company. What they're good at is making games and selling them to people who like games. The "expanded market" was never going to be much more than a strategically beneficial side-business compared to that.

I argued in my last post that this isn't necessarily true.

But you missed the correlative factor here: the frequency with which titles can be iterated on is directly proportional to how closely they target gaming enthusiasts. CoD can sell a new game to people every year because its target market is composed of young people who dedicate hundreds of hours to each title and still crave more. Assassin's Creed can sell a new game to people every year because it's targeting the spot of perfect balance between enthusiasm and mass appeal -- it's a pitch-perfect product to sell to people who really enthusiastically want to play a game with lots to do but don't want to engage with anything too weird or offputting.

The more you move away from an enthusiast audience, the less you can resell the same game. If there were a second Mario Kart for Wii, what would it even offer people? New tracks? There isn't a meaningful market there that cares about that. To resell this stuff you need to drag people along to new hardware (via one or two truly new and desirable pieces of software) and then fill the Mario-Kart-shaped hole in their collection.

Also, in my view, console generations were created due to increased competition in the market. Nintendo was facing competitors with more advanced hardware and they feared their less advanced NES would be abandoned by their customers.

Yeah, this just isn't a historically accurate picture.

wutwutwut

come on man. It is amazing game.
Super Meat Boy is an amazing game too.
It is like people think if it is 2D game it has to be just 15$ xbla version.
It's not really a slight on the game (a $5 game is number 2 on my personal GOTY list), it's merely adjusting oneself to market realities.
Where as most of the 60$ games now a days are 5 hour games.
I think in most cases they're overpriced too. Look at Child of Eden for example.

Kaijima said:
The game has more content and production values than ALL the damn $15 XBLA platformers
I find it hard to believe that any 2D platformer would have more content than Super Meat Boy.

Concept17

Unfortunate for Rayman.

I haven't bought it yet due to too much shit coming out this holiday. I really want it, but I want other stuff more.

Yeah, terrible release timing for Rayman. Very few people are going to pick up a 2d platformer over all the big holiday releases, regardless of the game's quality. Not sure why anyone would have expected great sales.

Rhindle

Sales this month seem to have been mainly price-drive. Aside from MW3 and Skyrim, the titles that sold well were those that were massively discounted for Black Friday. BF3, AC Revelations, Saints Row etc. were all selling for $20+ off. No deals on Zelda or Rayman, so they sold relatively poorly.

Xbox consoles were effectively selling for 1/3 off, so no big surprise that they moved well.

People like cheap stuff, surprisingly.

Well, of course you disagree; you have an extraordinarily black-and-white picture of the market.

Well, one, that's not exactly true -- by the time Nintendo got into the home console market, arcade video games were already ten years old.

But secondly, this is really at the heart of the problem with your concept here. You posit this massive audience lying in wait who have no interest in current games but behave exactly like gaming hobbyists as long as their ultra-specific needs are being met. While there's certainly a portion like this (products like 2D Mario that are unambiguously games and serve a market of gamers who were less enthused by other popular offerings), the lion's share of Nintendo's "expanded market" growth is off the backs of people who have no specific interest in "gaming" at all and instead just had other desires that Nintendo's products served: parents who wanted something fun to do with their kids, old people who wanted something to keep their minds sharp, people who wanted to get the effects of exercise without all the hard work.

These audiences are inherently flightier not because there's anything wrong with them, but because they're fulfilling a tangential need with Nintendo's products rather than a core one. If someone who was a Brain Training buyer seven years ago suddenly wants to, I dunno, get into the habit of using an expense tracking service or learning how to fish or whatever, they're not going to look first to Nintendo because gaming isn't a core value for them.

Approximately every single person on earth has played FarmVille or Angry Birds at this point. Just about every child in America who grows up above the poverty line and outside of a freakish fundamentalist household owns at least one video gaming device. That's pretty freakin' mainstream.

"Genius" is a misleading word, but the point is that all of Nintendo's "expanded-market" hits are singular: they each identify a completely untapped market, create the optimal configuration for tapping it, and consume it in the process. Brain Training and Wii Fit tapped into a latent desire for self-improvement, but in the process opened up both genres to ten thousand imitators that collectively can serve the market more thoroughly than the singular Nintendo effort. Wii Sports effectively created a family-oriented gaming environment -- one in which Nintendo hasn't had a hit in years and Kinect has moved in by offering something new.

Like, to go back to the (problematic) ocean metaphor, blue oceans are a fundamentally limited resource. If you find success in one, sharks follow you there and suddenly all that competition you avoided is present again. The more you successfully identify and seize, the fewer options you have next time. And it's fairly clear, I think, that Nintendo doesn't even have much incremental advantage anymore in some of these genres they opened up anymore.

That's exactly the point. Nintendo can't compete for the money of people whose primary interest is in nifty stuff because they aren't a nifty-stuff company. For the portion of the audience that plays games purely as a low-key source of entertainment rather than out of a concrete desire to play games, Nintendo has nothing unique to offer.

Nintendo have had to retrench to their classic market, the people who want to buy their actual games, because they're a game company. What they're good at is making games and selling them to people who like games. The "expanded market" was never going to be much more than a strategically beneficial side-business compared to that.

But you missed the correlative factor here: the frequency with which titles can be iterated on is directly proportional to how closely they target gaming enthusiasts. CoD can sell a new game to people every year because its target market is composed of young people who dedicate hundreds of hours to each title and still crave more. Assassin's Creed can sell a new game to people every year because it's targeting the spot of perfect balance between enthusiasm and mass appeal -- it's a pitch-perfect product to sell to people who really enthusiastically want to play a game with lots to do but don't want to engage with anything too weird or offputting.

The more you move away from an enthusiast audience, the less you can resell the same game. If there were a second Mario Kart for Wii, what would it even offer people? New tracks? There isn't a meaningful market there that cares about that. To resell this stuff you need to drag people along to new hardware (via one or two truly new and desirable pieces of software) and then fill the Mario-Kart-shaped hole in their collection.

Yeah, this just isn't a historically accurate picture.

holy shit, a neogaf post that makes 100% sense. fuck, i'mma go suicide. this can't be happening in an npd thread.

AppleMIX

How much of Super Meat Boy sales came from Steam?

Ubisoft's hate for the PC got to them with this title.

Super Meat Boy sold 400,000 on steam and 200,000 on XBLA as of April 2011.

Steam also has a much higher profit margin compared to XBLA.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/07/super-meat-boy-dashes-toward-600-000-copies-sold/

A lot of the people chanting the "2D platforms 15 bucks XBLA only" mantra don't even seem to know what Rayman Origins is.

The game has more content and production values than ALL the damn $15 XBLA platformers, and is a bigger and meatier game than a lot of $60 titles that have 5 hour campaigns and hinge on multiplayer to create value.

Sorry, I am just tired of this false equivalency between every game that's been regulated to an oversimplified category.

I'd say the reason why the game went retail was because it ended up having so much content and is a "big" game in every way except that it isn't first person view with a gun, and 5 hours of scenery and pop-up targets streaming by. Should it have been $60? No. But not $15 or even $25. The $39.99 price point would have been perfect for it.

However, even setting price aside, Rayman is not a big name anymore, I feel, aside from what hardcore fans think. I do agree not launching it on PC simultaneously was a serious error; it may have gotten a head start on enjoying a long tail there.

Microsoft/Sony needs to drop a ridged pricing structure and adopt a steam like pricing policy.

Himself

I hope everyone read this.

I think 50K is good for a 2D game in 2011.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. In 2009 Super Mario Bros Wii sold 20+ million. In 2010, Donkey Kong Country sold 5+ million.

Rayman isn't selling because:

1) It's a TERRIBLE launch window. Launches full price at the same time Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Gears, Assassins Creed and so on launch.
2) Nobody knows what the fuck Rayman is all about anymore.

Atomski

For the people crying about others complaints of the price. People also said Super Meat Boy was to expensive at 15 dollars... which on the PC has a level creator so it has infinitely more content than your average 2D game.

Effect

These companies need to start being very direct about what content is in their games then the price wouldn't be such a hurdle for some. That is if the game has a lot of content to begin with as some games don't. You can't leave it up to gaming sites to pass on that information. The best place for that is in actual ads. Give buyers a reason to spend money on the product or to ask for it from others. Why game companies have such a problem doing this is something I have never understood. I didn't understand years ago and I still don't understand it now. I would think perhaps YouTube would be a good place to do that if it's to much information but at times it's just used to host the uninformative TV commercial.

Sean

Banned
They should've split Rayman Origins into three "episodes" or something and released it digitally a few months ago.

A $15 Rayman game would've probably been HUGE during Microsoft's "Summer of Arcade" promotion. But a nearly full-priced game in the holiday when everyones playing Call of Duty? Forget about any sales.

Derrick01

Banned
Kajima[/QUOTE said:

It's not so much about the amount of content for me as it is me not thinking a platformer offers that much regardless. As I learned when I played Alice, a 12 hour game where you're running and jumping and doing very basic attacks gets extremely old extremely fast. The story was not interesting at all and a lot of platformers don't even really bother with one so all there is to show is the constant running and jumping on things.

I can see the extra polish, but the gameplay is the same

It is accurate to say that all of the gameplay in AC1 is present (as a fairly small subset) in AC2. It is not accurate to say that the gameplay is the same.

2) Nobody knows what the fuck Rayman is all about anymore.

This should really be the topic of discussion here instead of the whole pricing kerfuffle. Trying to sell Rayman at $60 in 2011 is like trying to get people to go see a Cagney and Lacey movie. They'd probably have been better off even with a new brand.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah, this is what Rayman had to compete with just within the platformer genre:

Wii - Kirby: Return to Dreamland
PS3 - Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
PS3/360 - Sonic Generations

DKCR didn't have a single other platformer to compete with last fall on Wii.

All four combined, did they sell as much as DKCR?

I'm really really sad for Sonic and Rayman, such awesome games, buried under a load of hollywood-style games :/.

I guess it would be a good idea for Sega to make Sonic Nintendo-exclusive, as Sonic seems to sell way better on Nintendo platforms and exclusivness may help Sonic gain some aditional value within the console's userbase.

It's not so much about the amount of content for me as it is me not thinking a platformer offers that much regardless. As I learned when I played Alice, a 12 hour game where you're running and jumping and doing very basic attacks gets extremely old extremely fast. The story was not interesting at all and a lot of platformers don't even really bother with one so all there is to show is the constant running and jumping on things.

It took me around 30 hours to 100% Super Meat Boy and it was probably one of the better gaming experiences I have had. Alice is just an average game - it could have been in any genre and it would have been just as average. Alice was made by people who have more interest in visual design than game design - so of course it is going to wear thin at 12 hours.

fernoca

Though would a Steam-release for Rayman really made any difference?
Were people willing to buy a Steam release at $50; but avoid a retail release because $50 is too much? Or is this under the assumption that the game been on Steam would've meant under $30 at launch ...and then the usual discounts?

The way I see it; Steam or not, it would've been the same. $50 at release (probably a $45 price for preorders), people complaining that its not worth $50 to them, then wait for sales, etc; with a few that got it on consoles getting it on Steam; instead of more people getting it because of it.

Darn shame because it is a great game. Then there's also how Rayman is mostly unknown to many, and how it was sandwiched in between other games in the same genre, known to others and a few big releases too.

Wonder if the 3DS release will do fine on its own anyway; at least in the US. Rayman 3D is the 6th top selling 3DS game since launch; even outselling Nintendogs; so guess we'll see.

Did I kick your dog or something? Anyway, the problem I have with your argument comes down to this point:

You're dividing the market into the 'expanded audience', people who will buy a single game because it fulfills a specific need in their life, and 'gamers', who play video games because they have a "specific interest in gaming". This distinction is based on a false premise. Everyone who buys a product, videogame or otherwise, buys said product because it helps them with a job they are trying to get done. The old adage is that "no one wants a quarter inch drill, they want a quarter inch hole". The product is not as relevant as the job it performs. It's tempting to believe that certain customers have allegiances to specific mediums or product categories (a brief look at the American comic book industry suggests otherwise), but customers generally don't have an allegiance to anything. They buy products that help them and drop brands that don't (Sony Walkman, Nintendo 64).

People buy video games because they are trying to do get the entertainment job done. If you're riding on a bus, handheld game consoles do that job, home consoles don't. If you're in your living room with three other family members, the Wii does the job the best. The enthusiast gamer is simply a customer who has found that video games serve their entertainment needs better than any other medium. The expanded audience is composed of people whose entertainment needs are not served by the current offerings of the video game industry.

I am not saying that all Wii Sports/Wii Fit/Brain Age customers will become die hard gamers over time. But the key to securing more purchases from these customers lies in using video games to serve their specific entertainment needs. Video games have not become as mainstream as film or television yet - if you don't watch TV, people will think you're pretentious, but no one finds it noteworthy when someone says they don't play video games - because the spectrum of "jobs" being done by the major industry publishers is comparatively narrow.

Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy is simply based on finding job categories that have not been addressed, and designing games to target those needs. This is not a finite strategy. People always have unmet needs, and even when job categories are being served, innovative thinking often reveals inefficiencies in the current offering.

Forkball

Didn't Uncharted come out in November? I thought I saw a thread that said it sold 3.8 million the first week or day or something.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Uncharted bundle was of the "pay $100 more for the game and extra HD space" kind.

Pretty sure the more expensive unit existed and they were just rotating recently new games with them. Same way Motorstorm, LBP, and quite a few others Sony report to have shipped 3mil+, but between NPD, MediaCreate, and what we get from Europe on occasion. Indicate the sales were no where near it.

I'm sure he's talking about the Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 bundling that was widepread

Gears had the Triple pack bundle too since we are comparing the two.

If you want to count it.

Gears 1 and 2 had their original release.
Followed by release with DLC
Eventual Plat release
And finally Triple pack.

I can't recall if Gears was Bundled with a 360 outside the SE, but for some reason I still think I recall seeing Gears 1 in a bundle at some point.

Uncharted 2 was similar.
Initial release
GOTY
Greatest Hit
Double pack.

Uncharted 1 only had the Greatest hit to double, but it was more heavily bundled. Uncharted 2 was also bundled.

i'm in a small minority, i think rayman is an ugly game but i still hoped it does better than that. still waiting for steam version though

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

This isn't the first, this isn't the second, and maybe not even the third time you've displayed your distaste towards the platforming genre by over-simplifying Alice.

There isn't anything wrong with the genre. You just don't like it, as you've demonstrated repeatedly through many threads. Yes, a 2D platformer can be sold at $60.

Gears had the Triple pack bundle too since we are comparing the two.

If you want to count it.

Gears 1 and 2 had their original release.
Followed by release with DLC
Eventual Plat release
And finally Triple pack.

I can't recall if Gears was Bundled with a 360 outside the SE, but for some reason I still think I recall seeing Gears 1 in a bundle at some point.

Uncharted 2 was similar.
Initial release
GOTY
Greatest Hit
Double pack.

Uncharted 1 only had the Greatest hit to double, but it was more heavily bundled. Uncharted 2 was also bundled.
Talking about the hardware bundles.....
edit-
The point being made is that the Uncharted shipped numbers we get from Sony included all the hardware bundling that happened so like is usually the case with shipped software numbers, they don't tell us a whole lot about the sales.

1-D_FTW

how does he post

Immortals can post from beyond the grave.

i'm in a small minority, i think rayman is an ugly game but i still hoped it does better than that. still waiting for steam version though

Not gonna happen. It got it's "Coming to PC" pulled around the same time it got switched from DD. With UBI's distaste of the PC market, I'd put odds at around 1 percent it ever gets re-announced.

Satchel

Banned
Uncharted as a series is a decent seller, but even worldwide, it isn't a patch on Gears, at least sales wise we're talking here.

Gears is a series that in the US alone, does over a million or more in its first month, and it's not like it doesn't sell anywhere else. Didn't the first game sell like 2 million or something in its first month in the US?

Massa

Pretty sure the more expensive unit existed and they were just rotating recently new games with them. Same way Motorstorm, LBP, and quite a few others Sony report to have shipped 3mil+, but between NPD, MediaCreate, and what we get from Europe on occasion. Indicate the sales were no where near it.

Motorstorm was bundled with the backwards compatible 80Gb PS3 so it was quite popular. Then came MGS4, same deal. PS3 sales were split 50/50 between the more expensive and the 40Gb version, you were basically paying $100 for extra HD, BC and a game.

The Uncharted: DF bundle came later, in a 160Gb non-BC PS3. It absolutely tanked because it was a total rip off. Same $100 for extra HD and a game, but no BC.

This in the US, of course. SCEE works quite differently, they bundle pretty much every new game with the PS3 for only 50 Euros more and you have a choice of which bundle to pick up, so you're basically buying a game with the system.

My point is I don't think hardware bundles affected Uncharted sales in any significant way, unlike Motorstorm and MGS4. The top 10 NPD's we've been getting for years wouldn't tell the story either way; it could have sold a million or 10 thousand units, we wouldn't know.

Tobor

If nobody wants a $50 2D platformer not named Mario, then what difference does it make how much content they made?

SykoTech

I guess it would be a good idea for Sega to make Sonic Nintendo-exclusive.

No, that would be a bad idea. Limiting your audience for no reason is never a good idea. Not to mention previous Sonic games exclusive to Nintendo platforms have done terribly anyway (Black Knight, Chronicles, Rush Adventure).

LuchaShaq

Banned
Putting it on steam wouldn't make much of a difference.

Considering I don't like platformers but heard great things I definitely would have bought it on sale on xbla/psn/steam for 10ish but disc/60? Won't ever see a cent. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Top Bottom