• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
cod 360 > cod ps3 > ac3 360 > ac3 ps3 > 1m

As a reference, this would be a very large increase for AC.

ASSASSIN'S CREED II (360) |Nov-09| 794.7K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II (PS3) |Nov-09| 448.4K

02. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (360, PS3) UBISOFT ** - 1.14

4. Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC) Ubisoft - ~1.26 million

Spiegel

Sony seems to have thought that PS3 was in some place it could possibly act as a graduation platform from the Wii in place of the Wii U, given how Ninty-clone-crazy this holiday season has been for them and their first party software, counting PSASBR, LBK, and SC2.

Looking at the "family-oriented" lineup I thought Sony was going to do a massive pricecut (170$/€ for the base model) but time passed, it never happened and they got burned.

They can thank Ubi and Activision for at least keeping the sales at a decent level.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It absolutely would never happen in the next 10 years. Nintendo would go private before anyone has the chance to scoop them up, and a mere partnership wouldn't be beneficial for either party in the near future.

I honestly think the third-party debacle Nintendo has caused themselves will absolutely make them look into a partnership for the next go-round. The casuals are not going to latch onto the Wii U like they did the Wii.

Pociask

nope, digging in the manual, smiles and cries found out that the number is not representing the posts total but the number of unique users who posted into the community

So the 10% number has to be low - always more lurkers than posters. And more people who just don't post on forums, Nintendo or otherwise, I imagine.

Pooya

Halo Reach sold 315K in October too, so in more closer time period to Halo 4, Halo Reach was actually closer to 3.6m. Can't imagine they are happy with this and this was the most expensive MS game, etc..

November launch was a stupid move.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
They simply had no big titles this year, all their big first party games are 2013 stuff. Even Yoshida admitted that their 2012 lineup sucked and they were counting on third parties.
Things like PASBR or LBPKarting are in the same league of Fable The Journey, I don't get the drama over the obvious low sales during a period dominated by mega productions like COD and AC.
That would be interesting..
Is PSASBR > or < Fable/whatever the highest Kinect game is.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Are the halo 4 sales really that bad? How did reach and ODST do in comparison?

No, not bad at all. People look at numbers in a vacuum and sensationalize what they see on paper. No one's factoring the overall industry decline, change in consumer behavior, decline in platform usage (rise in entertainment consumption on consoles is chipping away at gaming consumption), etc

Oemenia

Banned
Hopefully strong 360 sales retain the interest amongst current owners in the system. Yeah a lot of the new guys will be core gamers but a lot arent, if that figure was purely from the core then we wouldnt have to worry about fatigue settling into the userbase just yet.

Miles X

Halo 4 was the first game in the series outside of ODST that a large group of my friends didn't buy. And it was mostly series fatigue.

I don't think it's hard to imagin it's a mix of both those things amongst others. I do think MS should shut up about Halo full stop until E3 2015 though..

I really doubt it.

If you don't think Halo going to head-to-head with the biggest shooter on the platform hurt it then you're crazy.

Casuals aren't going to buy both within a week of each other.

Add up all sales of Halo 4 and all sales of Black Ops 2 for November, and what fraction less than 50% do you get of the US 360 userbase? They may cannibalize each other to some degree, but there's room for both games in the market. This notion that you have to run scared of another big release is just absurd.

MrDaravon

No, not bad at all. People look at numbers in a vacuum and sensationalize what they see on paper. No one's factoring the overall industry decline, change in consumer behavior, decline in platform usage (rise in entertainment consumption on consoles is chipping away at gaming consumption), etc

If we had BO2 360 #'s you could start to make some interesting comparisons though (i.e. is CoD up and just Halo is down, etc).

This is probably why you saw so many co-marketing deals with regard to Halo 4 the past four months.

Hero

Its probably not even the biggest Sony first party flop of November.

Hell might not even be the second biggest Sony flop of November.

Would like some wonderbook / lbp kart numbers.

Yeah, I know MS had some real first party stinkers on the first Xbox and stuff as well so I edited almost immediately after I posted.

For a huge holiday season first party release it has to be the worst though.

Sandfox

Nintendo did better than I was expecting them to do. The 3DS did bad when compared to last year, but the 3DS honestly had no way to compete with the pricecut and double Mario from last year. Nintendo will need to step it up in Q4 2013 and I'm expecting the DS to be killed off soon.

All three of Sony's games for the holidays bombed and I think its their fault for not having a game from one of their main franchises like GoW out there. Sony needs to find a way to get more Vita owners to buy games and they may be forced to drop either the memory or hardware price to at least make it cheaper than the consoles out now.

And the new Pokemon duo should've been 3DS titles.

In Japan there was a 5 month difference between the release of the 3DS and BW so that may be the reason why it was on the DS. In terms of BW2, I think getting them up to par with what people would want from a 3DS game would've taken too long for what the games were.

Kazerei

Banned

Oh man. AC3 was a huge step back in terms of quality, but a huge step forward in terms of sales? I guess it's the marketing, lack of competition, and possibly being more front-loaded.

It had a lot more days than the other three, but it is still a pretty huge increase. A bit weird considering all the negativity around it and the constant releases in the franchise.

nickcv

So the 10% number has to be low - always more lurkers than posters. And more people who just don't post on forums, Nintendo or otherwise, I imagine.

Ah I see, but then I see its not people who connected but people who posted

and that's a low number... not many users were engaged by miiverse... and NSMBU asks you post on miiverse pretty much every time you beat a level

got 3 star coins? make a post!
finished the level without dying? make a post
died too many times? make a post!

we can either say that not many people cared or not many people connected the console or were able to connect it

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Launch month sales

New SMB DS: 450k units (updated)
New SMB Wii: 1.39 million copies
New SMB 3DS: 240k copies
New SMB Wii U: 243k copies

These numbers are somewhat meaningless without the context of how many systems were actually out in homes at the time.

The Wii had millions of sales at that point. Percentages would be much better here.

* It's nice to see WWE 13 in the top, really nice, both for wrasslin' and THQ
* Wii U obviously wasn't sold out, despite what Pachter said there
* Wii number is higher than I expected, I thought they said it was around 300k in a press release
* Looks like Fall 2013 will be a good time to release 720. These 360 sales are good but still a 25% drop
* Vita gonna Vita

EagleEyes

They simply had no big titles this year, all their big first party games are 2013 stuff. Even Yoshida admitted that their 2012 lineup sucked and they were counting on third parties.
Things like PASBR or LBPKarting are in the same league of Fable The Journey, I don't get the drama over the obvious low sales during a period dominated by mega productions like COD and AC.
Same league as a Kinect title, really? At least compare motion games to motion games, like maybe Sorcery, lol. Sony can't be happy that Microsoft releases one Halo title and it outsells their entire first party offerings for the whole year. Sounds like one company is making good business decisions and the other isn't.

It looks like it's up ~100% or more on last year.

If they were hoping for 5 million in NPD debut that'd be bad, but as it stands this is by far the best first month of the series.

Finally the time travel stuff pays off for the series.
Guessing they could jump to World War One for a next gen title.

Big enough change for the generational jump.

* Wii number is higher than I expected, I thought they said it was around 300k in a press release

That was only for BF week.

from the wii u release thread:

we know that in 7 days (starting the 18th) 243,000 copies of NSMBU were sold
the data collected by schuelma is from the 21st November, therefore we have data for 4 days

we know for a fact that the number is not the number of posts, but the number of unique users who posted into a community

we can then say that about 1 person out 9 who purchased NSMBU connected its Wii U to the internet in the first 4 days*
that's about 10,27%

* not taking in consideration multiple users for the same copy and those users who posted into the community without having the game

So we know NSMB = 243K copies
And we know Wii U = 425K copies

So if we generalize that 1 person per 9 people post on Miiverse, with this data we can extrapolate very, very rough sales information:

1. Nintendoland- 28,509 = 256.6K copies
2. NSMB U- 24,970 = 224.7K copies
3. ZombiU- 11,511 = 103.6K copies
4. CoD: BO2- 6,066 = 54.6K copies
5. AC3- 3,282 = 29.5K copies
6. Scribblenauts- 3,049 = 27.4K copies
7. Sonic Racing- 2,812 = 25.3K copies
8. Batman: AC- 2,437 = 21.9K copies
9. Ninja Gaiden 3- 1,931 = 17.4K copies
10. Epic Mickey 2- 1,044 = 9.4K copies

This is interesting to see the relative success of how games sold on the Wii U.

PS3 All-Stars = <80K

Vita All-Stars = <8K

No words can explain the magnitude of this floppage.

Let me try: hahahahahahaha Please Sony, never again.

Sad to see a decline for Halo. I really enjoyed what I played of the multiplayer. It could really use some more maps though.

I don't think it matters what Wii U sold this month at all really. What will be far more telling are the numbers for the early part of next year, and I have a feeling with the combination of its price and small lineup of games, it won't be pretty.

Top Bottom