• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

we know that 75% of wiiu sales were deluxe edition...so there must be at least 315k nintendoland copies out there... and this are the numbers without the separately sold retail version

It was just a proof of concept post, and it's obviously inaccurate. But we can infer from some of the lowest-populated communities that those games, in general, aren't selling that well.

LTD should be like

Wii: 40.24M
360: 36.6 M
PS3: 22.7 M ? ( not sure since we don't have ps3 sales)

i got it right ?

if that so , Wii-X360 should be less than 2.9 Million at the end of the year (imho)

wrowa

Mario actively asks you to post stuff from in game, so it's not a good baseline.

Of course, like I said, the Miiverse numbers are meaningless. However, the sales chart creamsugar posted has AC3 on the lower half and considering that according to Pachter most Wii U games failed to sell meaningfull numbers...

Pooya

Am I reading MS PR right, Halo 4 sold more copies on 360 than BO2? So Halo 4 would be overall first in single SKU charts?

He always listed them by SKU sales, so if it's like that this time too and going by comments by that EA guy about CoD sales, I think CoD is down a LOT, like below 6m, that would make some headlines so I'm not really sure if that's the case.... maybe they are trying to avoid bad PR for CoD by not revealing the numbers </theory>

MrDaravon

So Halo 4 being a wash with Reach sales (apparently) could be either good or bad, not enough context. Would love to get BO2 360 #'s to compare that to BO1 360 #'s so we could do the direct comparison. If BO2 is also down or flat that's disappointing but can be chalked up to the industry being down in general. If BO2 is up that would at least possibly indicate Halo shouldn't have directly competed with CoD. And even if that's not the case, Halo 4 still frankly would have done better in September regardless.

Which shows that Miiverse numbers are meaningless, since we already know that Scribblenauts is the 4th best-selling Wii U game.

Also, when you see AC3 apparently breaking a million on both PS3 and 360, while it's not even able to break 100k (I'm not even sure if it hit 50k) on the Wii U, it's easy to understand why so many 3rd parties seem to be very hesitant to jump on the ship. Of course, the Wii U is a new console with a negligible user-base but ... that's exactly the problem. Releasing a Wii U version ultimately doesn't make a difference. I doubt this is going to change over the next months.

Nintendo placed the Wii U in a really awkward spot. They either should have released the console a year earlier or made the hardware more future-proof. :/

Seriously the Wii u user base is tiny even if it didn't hit 50k it surely will do in the coming weeks and seeing how little a port costs to make (less than $1m according to ubi) break even is only like less than 40k worldwide and anything more than that is free money

zrcME.jpg

Number of original IPs: 0
Number of first sequel: 1 (Skylanders Giants)
Number of second sequels: 0
Number of third sequels: 0
Number of fourth sequels: 1 (Just Dance 4 . . . maybe?)
Number of N sequels where N is at least 5 and I'm not gonna count: 8

:-/

Edit: We need a new console generation if for no other reason than to get some new fresh IP.

As a side note, if we count Just Dance Kids and other spin-offs, there's more than four games.

Damn . . . he's right. 9/10 games on the list are on at least their 5th iteration. Ugh . . . I understand publishers being reluctant to take risks with multi-million dollar budgets. But on the other hand, we can't just live on endless retreads.

wrowa

LTD should be like

i got it right ?

if that so , Wii-X360 should be less than 2.9 Million at the end of the year (imho)

Pretty crazy to think that the 360 might very well outsell the Wii in the US. Of course, it's not really important anymore at this point in time considering that Nintendo's already in a new generation, but still. 4 years ago no one would have believed such a thing to be possible.

So Halo 4 being a wash with Reach sales (apparently) could be either good or bad, not enough context. Would love to get BO2 360 #'s to compare that to BO1 360 #'s so we could do the direct comparison. If BO2 is also down or flat that's disappointing but can be chalked up to the industry being down in general. If BO2 is up that would at least possibly indicate Halo shouldn't have directly competed with CoD. And even if that's not the case, Halo 4 still frankly would have done better in September regardless.

If BO2 on 360 is down and Halo 4 > BO2, maybe it should've got out of the way of Halo...

AniHawk

Old Wii and DS still selling a lot. Although I guess they wished the Wii U and 3DS sold more.

they probably nearly sold out of the wii u at launch. software sales could have been a lot better though. but yeah, they'd like the 3ds to be selling better. not that it should- i hope this is sending a signal to them regarding hardware and software prices.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

And people make fun of publishers not launching new IPs! :p

Lyude77

and that's a low number... not many users were engaged by miiverse... and NSMBU asks you post on miiverse pretty much every time you beat a level

got 3 star coins? make a post!
finished the level without dying? make a post
died too many times? make a post!

we can either say that not many people cared or not many people connected the console or were able to connect it

Remember, Christmas. Plenty of people like me are getting NSMBU/Wii U for Christmas.

QaaQer

I guess we get the games we deserve.

Handheld numbers!

3DS is much, much better than I expected. Don't get me wrong, 32% YOY decline is still quite bad and cause for alarm, but I wasn't sure it'd even break 400K, based on the 250K Black Friday figure. Isn't it incredibly uncommon for a system to sell less than half of its November total on Black Friday?

Vita: Roughly where I expected after the Black Friday numbers were revealed, in the low 200K range. For comparison, PSP, a dead platform, sold 288K in November 2010, and GC, a similarly dead platform, sold over 270K in November 2005. Better than it could have been (150-160K for the entire month), still astonishingly awful for a first holiday.

Sony has already fired its biggest software guns for Vita, and released reasonably priced bundles for those titles, both to little effect. A price cut next year certainly won't save it, nor will any of the announced/known 2013 software. Forget about further Western third-party support - at this point, it'll be a feat if Sony can even keep it on store shelves long enough for a second holiday season.

JaxJag

Banned
I wonder how Wii U software sales would look if DD copies were included. I bought my copy of NSMBU off the eShop, and I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of other people did too. Depending on how well the eShop takes off, we might be looking at a future where Wii U software is relatively low on NPD's charts, even if actual sales are higher.

But why would people buy their games digitally from the eShop when all the purchases are tied to one console? It doesn't make a lot of sense, Nintendo needs to fix that.

FrankT

LTD should be like

i got it right ?

If so then yea will definitely happen next year. Haven't kept up in sometime but Wii and 360 numbers likely close to right.

Two 40M consoles in the US happening in one gen is pretty amazing. Even for a very long drawn out one.

MrDaravon

If BO2 on 360 is down and Halo 4 > BO2, maybe it should've got out of the way of Halo...

Do we actually know that Halo 4 > BO2 360, or are we just inferring that from Nelson's post? I'd honestly be shocked if that's true, but if it is you might not be that far off.

It's Playstation All Stars, not Sony All Stars.

I'd be hard pressed to argue that Crash or Snake is less relevant to the history of Playstation than Fat Princess or Big Daddy.

Touche. As much as many here like to talk up Sony's first party games, the Playstation brand was built on the backs of third parties.

Surely those vita numbers must tell sony that a price drop is desperately needed. Outside of the black friday specials this thing must have moved pretty much nothing the rest of the month.

Kazerei

Banned

Well, there were spinoffs like JD Kids, JD Disney, and JD Greatest Hits. So ... yay for N sequels!

onipex

NSBMU sold to about 60% of the reported userbase for a newly launched system and people think that is bad. HTF do you even come to that. 360 sales are better than I expected.

they probably nearly sold out of the wii u at launch. software sales could have been a lot better though. but yeah, they'd like the 3ds to be selling better. not that it should- i hope this is sending a signal to them regarding hardware and software prices.

Prices, sure, but even at $40, a retail title is still $20 less than a console title. The bigger problem is games. I've bought 3 retail games for 3DS this year and a few smaller eShop games. Software sells hardware.

wrowa

Seriously the Wii u user base is tiny even if it didn't hit 50k it surely will do in the coming weeks and seeing how little a port costs to make (less than $1m according to ubi) break even is only like less than 40k worldwide and anything more than that is free money

There aren't many studios like Ubisoft's AC team(s) who can afford to throw several hundred people working on a single project, though. Most studios don't have the ressources to develop another version if the sales are negligible compared to the other versions... Apart of some AAA projects, I doubt that many studios will even bother with Wii U ports.

I'd love to be wrong about this, though. But after a better start, I fear that Wii U's 3rd party support might end up worse than Wii's.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
NSBMU sold to about 60% of the reported userbase for a newly launched system and people think that is bad. HTF do you even come to that. 360 sales are better than I expected.

Because they're mistakenly comparing raw numbers instead of attach rate percentages. I made a post on it earlier.

The launch month numbers of all Mario games are meaningless because the amount of systems out at the time are all drastically different.

lenovox1

Surely those vita numbers must tell sony that a price drop is desperately needed. Outside of the black friday specials this thing must have moved pretty much nothing the rest of the month.

They've known that this entire year, but a price drop must not be worth it at this point.

TOP Combined retail, by sequel number:

1. Call of Duty 9
2. Halo 5 (Halo 6 if you include OST)
3. Assassin's Creed 5
4. Just Dance 5
5. Madden 27
6. Skylanders 2
7. Need for Speed 19
8. NBA 14
9. WWE 15
10. FIFA 20

* This list may have errors.

No WONDER the industry is stagnating.

Verendus

Banned
Bomba All Stars? Not surprised considering the half-assed effort put into the game. Twenty characters, part of which are shitty third party characters, shit presentation and design, lacking in Playstation fan service. To do something like this meant to go all out. A strong roster, amazing presentation, bombastic and memorable score, lots of hidden secrets and just basically filled with content. Backing all that, a strong marketing campaing.

But of course, nothing to be surprised about when they set themselves up to be utter failures. I mean, it looks so uninspired and lacking. Had they been smart, which obviously they're not looking at the sorry state of the game, they would have gone the route of Power Stone. And they wouldn't have launched the game in such a shitty state. Hey guys, let's go play with those two Coles, but it's okay, we'll get more characters in the sequel that will never be made!!

Top Bottom