• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

and that's a low number... not many users were engaged by miiverse... and NSMBU asks you post on miiverse pretty much every time you beat a level

got 3 star coins? make a post!
finished the level without dying? make a post
died too many times? make a post!

we can either say that not many people cared or not many people connected the console or were able to connect it

Just because someone hasn't posted doesn't make them not engaged, im sure GAF has far far more readers than it does posters, they all still get something out of it, same with miiverse

The Wii family of consoles has performed very well.

KuGsj.gif

So we know NSMB = 243K copies
And we know Wii U = 425K copies

So if we generalize that 1 person per 9 people post on Miiverse, with this data we can extrapolate very, very rough sales information:

1. Nintendoland- 28,509 = 256.6K copies
2. NSMB U- 24,970 = 224.7K copies
3. ZombiU- 11,511 = 103.6K copies
4. CoD: BO2- 6,066 = 54.6K copies
5. AC3- 3,282 = 29.5K copies
6. Scribblenauts- 3,049 = 27.4K copies
7. Sonic Racing- 2,812 = 25.3K copies
8. Batman: AC- 2,437 = 21.9K copies
9. Ninja Gaiden 3- 1,931 = 17.4K copies
10. Epic Mickey 2- 1,044 = 9.4K copies

This is interesting to see the relative success of how games sold on the Wii U.

This shows the Miiverse thing to be 100% wrong as the chart is nothing like what cream posted.
The 1 in 9 number is not a thing and the Miiverse postings are not a thing.

Its like trying to figure out TV ratings based on if a programme trends.

Kusagari

According to creamsugar, both versions are over 1m.

Which is up so much that it is hard to believe.

Not surprising in the least.

The hype for the game was insane because of the setting. The Gamestop by me said they had the biggest midnight opening for a non CoD game ever for it.

FrankT

3M versus 3.3M isn't really any kind of a deal breaker. I also imagine being this close to Christmas will help it second month.

Retail sales have dove off a cliff this year.

Another 800K knocked off the Wii lead. Even though it will likely be into next gen Mattrick will almost for sure have the last laugh in the US.

Likely one of the weaker PS3 Nov showings. Though I thought they had said ~550 for BF week. This would seem off versus full month.

nickcv

So if we generalize that 1 person per 9 people post on Miiverse, with this data we can extrapolate very, very rough sales information:

i wouldn't trust those numbers, but i do wonder if someone can confirm if they are close enough or not to the real results

Just because someone hasn't posted doesn't make them not engaged, im sure GAF has far far more readers than it does posters, they all still get something out of it, same with miiverse

point taken! =P

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
what do you mean sorry? without bundles I take it > 3m...

NPD breaks numbers out by editions in the table (like Limited and Cat Helmet editions are counted separately from the core numbers), so for big games if you miss one, you could miss a fair amount of sales.

DarkPanda

I wonder how Wii U software sales would look if DD copies were included. I bought my copy of NSMBU off the eShop, and I wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of other people did too. Depending on how well the eShop takes off, we might be looking at a future where Wii U software is relatively low on NPD's charts, even if actual sales are higher.

Glad to Heard Hitman Isn't Successful Anymore

why? great game
Not a Blood Money clone but still a very good game. There are some classic Hitman levels in there, plus we got a continuous narrative this time. Graphics were also crazy. Combat much better too

i wouldn't trust those numbers, but i do wonder if someone can confirm if they are close enough or not to the real results

Well it's been pointed out that it's different from the posted sales data, but I would probably bet that some of those games in the low tiers did manage only 20K sales.

wrowa

Which shows that Miiverse numbers are meaningless, since we already know that Scribblenauts is the 4th best-selling Wii U game.

Also, when you see AC3 apparently breaking a million on both PS3 and 360, while it's not even able to break 100k (I'm not even sure if it hit 50k) on the Wii U, it's easy to understand why so many 3rd parties seem to be very hesitant to jump on the ship. Of course, the Wii U is a new console with a negligible user-base but ... that's exactly the problem. Releasing a Wii U version ultimately doesn't make a difference. I doubt this is going to change over the next months.

Nintendo placed the Wii U in a really awkward spot. They either should have released the console a year earlier or made the hardware more future-proof. :/

Pooya

NPD breaks numbers out by editions in the table (like Limited and Cat Helmet editions are counted separately from the core numbers), so for big games if you miss one, you could miss a fair amount of sales.

I guess he didn't see the LE.. makes sense.

so look like Halo is at least flat...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Vita not so bad and Xbox killing it..where's the PS3 numbers, I'm guessing better than 3ds but not as good as Xbox.

wat

It had a massive sale on Black Friday and still tanked. Sadly, that thing is just about dead :(

nickcv

Well it's been pointed out that it's different from the posted sales data, but I would probably bet that some of those games in the low tiers did manage only 20K sales.

yeah, probably, it would be really nice to have some feedback, just for the sake of it =P

Huff

Banned
3M versus 3.3M isn't really any kind of a deal breaker. I also imagine being this close to Christmas will help it second month.

Another 800K knocked off the Wii lead. Even though it will likely be into next gen Mattrick will almost for sure have the last laugh in the US.

Likely one of the weaker PS3 Nov showings. Though I thought they had said ~550 for BF week. This would seem off versus full month.

900<X>600

Miles X

Dec 2013 is my betting for 360 to overtake Wii. Guess that'll be a nice way for them to end the gen (for them)

Krilekk

Banned
Am I reading MS PR right, Halo 4 sold more copies on 360 than BO2? So Halo 4 would be overall first in single SKU charts?

EagleEyes

Where the heck is Sony's PR? They must have done some real magic on their Black friday numbers for PS3 if they did 525k on BF and only did around 650k for the whole month. Something doesn't add up cause the 360 added almost 500k from their BF numbers.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

H3 and Reach also came out in September with no real competition...

Not sure how I feel about these numbers now. Hoping H4 has december legs.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Which shows that Miiverse numbers are meaningless, since we already know that Scribblenauts is the 4th best-selling Wii U game.

Also, when you see AC3 apparently breaking a million on both PS3 and 360, while it's not even able to break 100k (I'm not even sure if it hit 50k) on the Wii U, it's easy to understand why so many 3rd parties seem to be very hesitant to jump on the ship. Of course, the Wii U is a new console with a negligible user-base but ... that's exactly the problem. Releasing a Wii U version ultimately doesn't make a difference. I doubt this is going to change over the next months.

Nintendo placed the Wii U in a really awkward spot. They either should have released the console a year earlier or made the hardware more future-proof. :/
Mario actively asks you to post stuff from in game, so it's not a good baseline.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I was expecting a bit more from NSMBU, but it's obvious now that serie doesn't work much as a launch entry. It will however have insane legs, as every New title, so i'm not too worried. But i'm starting to think if Nintendo did the right thing releasing it at launch insteada two-three years into the console's lifecycle. The Wii craze will never be replicated, but we knew it

The_Joker

we know that 75% of wiiu sales were deluxe edition...so there must be at least 318.7k nintendoland copies out there... and this are the numbers without the separately sold retail version

Kazerei

Banned
Its probably not even the biggest Sony first party flop of November.

Hell might not even be the second biggest Sony flop of November.

Would like some wonderbook / lbp kart numbers.

I keep forgetting LBP Karting even exists. It must have done worse than PSASBR.

Top Bottom