• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

Mindlog

It is XBL and how everyones friends list are so open on their console. You see Jimmy and Johnny playing a game you weren't sure of then decide to try it out cause you like the same games they do. The online aspect and how close your friends are on the system has always been a huge boon for them pushing software.

It is like positive word of mouth without saying anything.
It's how Minecraft exploded to players I know were completely ignorant of the game.

It's how Sony and Microsoft need to sell their Full-HD Gen™ consoles to early adopters.

Road

Call of Duty Wii U attach rate was 5%, said by someone on VGA pre-show.

5% of 425k = 21k

Edit: didn't expect to be beaten this badly. haha

impact

Banned
Bad news for Microsoft and Sony, it seems. Just left the nearest Best Buy about an hour ago, it had a mountain of unsold 360s and PS3s. Actually, almost two mountains of 360s.

If we're using this (terrible) logic, Nintendo must be already dead.

aaaaaaaand 21k for CoD explains why there's sub-1000 people online most of the time. Pathetic.

Kusagari

Really? I found it by far the most boring AC3 because so much of that history period is known and when you try to change it around or get dates wrong it really breaks the illusion. The previous games were able to change history because there are massive gaps in records so they could get away with it.

I haven't played it so I don't how well it works, but it's undeniable the setting got more people interested in the series than ever; at least in America.

5% of 425k = 21k

Well the console is new man. Still, Nintendo just isn't the place you want to play a COD at the moment. Didn't Pachter joke that there is only 4 people online? LOL

Sandfox

Patcher said COD attach rate was 5% for the wiiu on the vgas

eh beaten

around 21k

The number is pretty poor, but that's actually better than what some people had me expecting lol. I can see why its that low though since I don't see why anyone would buy it on the Wii U unless that's the only console they own or they just really wanted to try out the exclusive features.

hatchx

Banned
HOWEVER... when it comes to Nintendo customers, I think >80% of consumers only buying at retail is being WAY generous. It's probably closer to >95%. Completely different beast of purchaser compared to Xbox, PSN and Steam purchasers because of how Nintendo has approached DRM and online purchases.

I believe the digital sales impact on the WiiU has been negligible at best... and that hardcore-centric GAF will skew this perception.

I would agree, but these are early adopters and most of who pre-ordered. I don't think the average mom/pop and family nintendo consumers are the majority of Wii U owners. I actually doubt most of the family market nintendo caters towards even knows what a Wii U is.

The number is pretty poor, but that's actually better than what some people had me expecting lol. I can see why its that low though since I don't see why anyone would buy it on the Wii U unless that's the only console they own or they just really wanted to try out the exclusive features.

I think the UK COD rate was mentioned as 1% so it could be worse lol

We'll be lucky if the Vita isn't discontinued within a year. Sony's definitely not making another handheld after this.

I think they where second guessing the market after it's poor performance.

Systems will always be compared to the company's system that came out before it and it will be judged by that success/failure. Regardless of company.

Looking at PSP GO and Vita following the PSP must raise some serious questions about Sony's future in the handheld market.

Ridley327

I think it is decently applicable since it was also cross gen with the current systems of the day and as he said COD didn't really explode till 4

There wasn't an actual Call of Duty 2 for the then-current gen consoles; CoD2 was actually the first non-spinoff title to be released outside of the PC.

Road

iboSBoA4kwHY4e.png

ibs69xKNjU3pgM.png

I think the UK COD rate was mentioned as 1% so it could be worse lol

1% of all BLOPS2 sales were from the Wii U version in the UK.

In the US the same number is something like 0.3%.

Sandfox

I think it is decently applicable since it was also cross gen with the current systems of the day and as he said COD didn't really explode till 4

CoD2 was exclusive to the 360 and PC. This made it the game to get for the 360 and that led to its eventual popularity.

DarkPanda

Why are people so surprised at the CoD numbers? For the last few years, CoD has been extremely community-driven. People buy the game to play online with their bros. The Wii U being a new system = no established community of bros, so of course sales would be low. Plus, CoD U was late, and all the hardcore players already bought their copy well before the Wii U was released. The Wii U version was never going to sell gangbusters; it was there to squeeze the last bit of profit out of the game and to provide a foundation for future titles in the series.

The Wii U version was never going to sell gangbusters; it was there to squeeze the last bit of profit out of the game and to provide a foundation for future titles in the series.

I'm not sure 21K provides much of a foundation. At least not without some significant investment in building a base on Nintendo's part.

http://i.minus.com/ibs69xKNjU3pgM.png

That graph really shows how silly the whole "3ds is ahead of the DS in the same time frame" argument is. The 3Ds has flatlined while the DS was showing continuous growth. I wonder how the 3DS stacks up against the PSP, something its sales will probably end up resembling more than any Nintendo handheld.

3DS decline is expected when you consider NoA put zero effort into bundles/new colors this year.

it's definitely the lowest first-month for a mario rpg in a long time, perhaps ever. partners in time did 260k, and bowser's inside story was pretty successful its first month. even paper mario 2 on the gamecube did 180k in its first month in 2004.

So with DD it should be around Paper Mario 2. Not as bad as you're trying to paint it. I know the game is hated by people who want it to be something it's not, but c'mon.

djyella

People have to remember that this NPD is only counting what, 8 days of WiiU HW/SW sales? Ok, some games may have went on sale earlier but for the most part lets just say 8 days.

What are WiiU buyers supposed to do? Are they supposed to by 5-6 games right at launch? For me, this launch lineup is great. I was a Wii only person so with this lineup there are just too many good choices. It's frustrating actually. I have a family so I can't blow my load on a bunch of games we won't play right away, so hard choices have to be made.

I know I wan't BLOPS2, ME3, ZombiU, Tekken, Darksiders 2, Nintendo Land, Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and maybe Batman...My daughter wants Mario and she would probably like Scribblenauts, Sing Party, Skylanders, chasing aurora and Game Party. My wife will be happy with all of the party games we can play together.

I would think that lots of families are in this same predicament. Hard choices have to be made. When I see people saying that software is selling terribly after only one week of data I just get kind of confused. What was supposed to happen? How many games were they supposed to buy at launch? I know I only plan on getting 3 games...ZombiU, Nintendo Land and Mario. Next month I'm sure I will be picking up ME3 and BLOPS2.

I wish we had hard numbers but at least we have the WiiU chart order. I just think calling it terrible at this point is jumping the gun a bit especially when from my perspective there are lots of good choices to choose from...especially if you have a family. Honestly looking at all the games in the store, I was heartbroken that I was going to have to leave so many games on the shelf. I just kept thinking to myself that the games have finally come to a Nintendo system in full HD but I still can't play them all just yet LOL.

I say if there are lots of people out there like me, we will buy games, just not all at once. I mean, I have about 20 games on the Wii, mostly 3rd party, and mostly bought at full price...I'm sure I will buy more games on the WiiU over time. Just give us WiiU owners more than a week ;)

Terrible numbers for CoD. Really disappointing. Nintendo should've tried their hardest to launch a week earlier. We're talking about a series that people line up at midnight to get ahold of. A week makes all the difference in the world. And it's the biggest third-party game out there.

Even if they only could've siphoned a small percentage of Blops 2 buyers from the 360/PS3 userbase, gaining additional CoD sales might've built that foundation of a community. Hopefully this won't have a ripple effect into the console's FPS future.

Alcibiades

Nintendo was probably to stubborn to go for an earlier launch, but they would have benefited greatly by launching in September or October, even though it looks like odd timing. There has been so much noise this November, with the late October AC3, Halo 4, and BO2, that the Wii U system itself is getting drowned in out in all the noise (to say nothing of the holiday coverage given too all things tech like phones and tablets). The Black Friday week launch also had the adverse effect of launching against value bundles of the 360 and PS3.

If they had launched in September with a paltry 10 or so games and a low shipment, they would have caught flack, but would have been better off with all the attention before the major titles of November. Then they could have launched NSMB U in November as the major holiday title the week of Black Friday. Further, AC3 and BO2 would have launched day and date with their counterparts on other systems.

All in all a shortsighted move by Nintendo not reading the pulse of the industry or market. If for some reason launching in 2010 or 2011 was not possible, they could have at launched the Wii U with some room to breathe.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nintendo was probably to stubborn to go for an earlier launch, but they would have benefited greatly by launching in September or October, even though it looks like odd timing. There has been so much noise this November, with the late October AC3, Halo 4, and BO2, that the Wii U system itself is getting drowned in out in all the noise (to say nothing of the holiday coverage given too all things tech like phones and tablets). The Black Friday week launch also had the adverse effect of launching against value bundles of the 360 and PS3.

If they had launched in September with a paltry 10 or so games and a low shipment, they would have caught flack, but would have been better off with all the attention before the major titles of November. Then they could have launched NSMB U in November as the major holiday title the week of Black Friday. Further, AC3 and BO2 would have launched day and date with their counterparts on other systems.

All in all a shortsighted move by Nintendo not reading the pulse of the industry or market. If for some reason launching in 2010 or 2011 was not possible, they could have at launched the Wii U with some room to breathe.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the 1+ gig firmware update that enabled the console's online functionality. All signs point to the OS simply wasn't ready when they began manufacturing consoles. And given that one of its major features (TVii) is still MIA, they just barely got a workable version out by launch. And that only just got patched to cut down on massive operating instability that was resulting on constant hard locks.

I'm not sure how Nintendo could have launched even a week sooner, if the real bottleneck is the development of their OS / catching up to everyone else as fast as they can in the area of OS. They could have launched in September, say - but what if it would have been a 3DS situation. Where there's no eshop, many OS features and UI features are missing, and the central pillar of the OS, Miiverse, was not enabled?

It seems like the sheer bad publicity and vicious word of mouth in the gaming community would have destroyed the system - "Here's the proof, Wii U is Wii 2, has no online, no OS, no games, Nintendo has no idea what they're doing."

Deuterium

releasing the "720" next year.

I think that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are two things going on here, at the same time.

Firstly, Microsoft can see the overall decline in 360 sales as a general trend, and understands this trend will continue. They have already commited vast resources to their next gen console.

Secondly, and perhaps just as important, they see how poorly Sony and the PS3 is doing, comparatively, in the USA. Microsoft isn't stupid. They know that Sony will be putting in maximum effort to get their new console launched asap. The very success of the 360 is paradoxically what will drive Microsoft to push forward, on their next gen console...if only to prevent Sony from getting a drop on them.

Microsoft WILL NOT let Sony release their PS4 in a vacuum, without having their next Xbox ready to compete. Plain and simple. Does this mean the end of 2013, or early 2014? Microsoft's decision probably has a lot to do with anticipating when Sony's PS4 introduction will happen.

AniHawk

3DS decline is expected when you consider NoA put zero effort into bundles/new colors this year.

So with DD it should be around Paper Mario 2. Not as bad as you're trying to paint it. I know the game is hated by people who want it to be something it's not, but c'mon.

i was unaware of its reputation and am looking forward to playing it. what have the dd numbers been?

NateDrake

5% of 425k = 21k

The figure is higher than 21k as the leaderboards go higher than that on the game. May not be much higher, but a friend is ranked around 25k right now on them.

Richie

The figure is higher than 21k as the leaderboards go higher than that on the game. May not be much higher, but a friend is ranked around 25k right now on them.

This NPD only counts the Wii U's first week, tho.

I'll say that what made the Wii a success, is the same thing that isn't doing the Wii U any favors; marketing. Sure, having to release in a year with ongoing presidential campaigns hurt them, but the biggest mistake by far is how they're selling the device to the masses. Leaving naming confusion aside, the Wii Would Like To Play commercials drove the point home immediately, made it seem an innovative product, and did a great job at making the mainstream go Wow. I don't see those dubstep commercials doing the same, it's like they're there because they have to, I don't see them going the extra mile they -should- be taking with those.

AzaK

Sadly, I think at best Nintendo may match say, Halo 4 or Uncharted or Last of Us, while the developers of these titles are probably working on face melting titles for their next-generation offerings.

There is just no real "Hype" any longer with the Wii U. They really tossed that in the garbage with this E3. At best the release has been underwhelming.

Well here's to hoping they turn things around.

Yeah, hype is zero. Core Nintendo fans will buy the first few months, but after that, what's exciting. I'm starting to wonder if their best chance is the mainstream. Once Nintendo TVii comes out and is advertised, and Wii Fit U that might spurr some sales. Other than that, it's looking very much like a Nintendo only machine or if you're being generous, a Japanese game machine.

Missing 90% of next year's titles is terrible and leaves the hope of 720/PS4 downports post 2013.

Terrible numbers for CoD. Really disappointing. Nintendo should've tried their hardest to launch a week earlier. We're talking about a series that people line up at midnight to get ahold of. A week makes all the difference in the world. And it's the biggest third-party game out there.

Even if they only could've siphoned a small percentage of Blops 2 buyers from the 360/PS3 userbase, gaining additional CoD sales might've built that foundation of a community. Hopefully this won't have a ripple effect into the console's FPS future.

I think they were stupid to not time with CoD.

Top Bottom