• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD November 2012 Results [Up6: Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Most Wanted, Assassin's Creed 3]

I don't think timing the launch alongside COD would have made an appreciable difference. The communities and tradition for these games are simply too strong on existing consoles, there probably isn't much Nintendo could have done to get people to play COD on the WiiU.

Saw an All Stars commercial watching ESPN about an hour before VGA's started so they must be starting the campaign now that their big Vita push seems to have wrapped up.

SeanR1221

So some people were saying consoles will start suffering the same fate as handhelds. If the next xbox and ps4 do Wii U numbers, what do you guys think the cause will be?

Handhelds are easy, it's most likely a result of iPods, Smart Phones and Tablets. But could the same combo be pushing out consoles too with the general public?

This is normal, numbers are going to raise a lot higher with the time, first month doesn't say anything.

Of course, if won't sell gangbusters like on the 360, anyway.

People just don't know because they don't see the following numbers.

If MW4 launches next fall as a cross-Gen title on Xbox3, would 21k sales be an acceptable number for first week sales? I think we all know the answer to that.

releasing the "720" next year.

I think that couldn't be farther from the truth. There are two things going on here, at the same time.

Firstly, Microsoft can see the overall decline in 360 sales as a general trend, and understands this trend will continue. They have already commited vast resources to their next gen console.

Secondly, and perhaps just as important, they see how poorly Sony and the PS3 is doing, comparatively, in the USA. Microsoft isn't stupid. They know that Sony will be putting in maximum effort to get their new console launched asap. The very success of the 360 is paradoxically what will drive Microsoft to push forward, on their next gen console...if only to prevent Sony from getting a drop on them.

Microsoft WILL NOT let Sony release their PS4 in a vacuum, without having their next Xbox ready to compete. Plain and simple. Does this mean the end of 2013, or early 2014? Microsoft's decision probably has a lot to do with anticipating when Sony's PS4 introduction will happen.

Personally, I think it is just not Microsoft but Sony as well. So both the companies will launch simultaneously, will launch anticipating each other's launching period.

The thing that made PS3 debut at a later date was the Blu-ray, it had something different from the other consoles out there claiming a significant hardware advantage.

However with the 720/PS4, both of them will release at very identical specs and price point. It will be a tough decision for the consumer to choose which one to pick. So the fan base goes the either way and I am expecting MS to do better in North America while Sony does better rest of the world.

Everyone wants a next gen console right now, at least most of them. The ones who want are also waiting to see the PS4 and the 720. So the first one that releases will have a significant advantage. Neither of the companies can afford to wait 6 months to an year from the other console. Hence we will see launch at a similar interval too.

Ashes

I've not seen one Wonderbook spot.

And I saw my first spot for PlayStation All-Stars during the VGAs.

same for me. and it was a pretty shitty commercial

Cheers. Its more annoying than anything. :p

Sony spends the bulk of their advertising money in PAL land. No Wonderbook marketing in the US from what I've seen.

Apart from the ads on tv, they've got wonderbook bundles at the front of a Tesco (supermarket) tech section I saw this past week. That space is normally reserved for FIFA or COD. Where as I had to go looking for a wiiu (it was on some shelf - and there were loads of basic wii us left). And somebody was suggesting in some other thread that retailers were seeing more queries for ps3 wonderbook bundles expecting it sell the best of all the consoles they had.

But with all that, we're yet to see any suggestion that the marketing is working. Wonderbook was out of the top twenty in UK. We'll know how well those bundles sell by seeing how well Wonderbook charts. It is sold separately as well though. So it'd be a rough call if it did chart high.

edit: I haven't seen the christmas 360 ads which is kinda odd. They usually do a blitz in the run up to Christmas. It's just a bunch of wonderbook ads plus a few wii u ads.

Call of Duty Wii U attach rate was 5%, said by someone on VGA pre-show.

5% of 425k = 21k

Edit: didn't expect to be beaten this badly. haha

Toys 'R' Us is doing Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off and every TRU in my area is sold out of BlOps2. Sold out of Call of Duty. I said what. Wii U version is sold out as well.

I didn't think it was possible to sell out of CoD wtf

1-D_FTW

iboSBoA4kwHY4e.png

1% of all BLOPS2 sales were from the Wii U version in the UK.

In the US the same number is something like 0.3%.

Remember that crayon prediction chart the used to get mocked and ridiculed? If they'd said 360 instead of PS3, it wouldn't look so ridiculous anymore.

jey_16

Banned
Really? I found it by far the most boring AC3 because so much of that history period is known and when you try to change it around or get dates wrong it really breaks the illusion. The previous games were able to change history because there are massive gaps in records so they could get away with it.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.....the American revolution is really interesting but it just doesn't suit the game at all, I loved AC1 and AC2 but I'm struggling to find the motivation to play this

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I cant' help but wonder how significant digital sales were for the Wii U. There are certainly people out there who bought a Wii U with the desire to go digital only.

you're going to want to have to reallly lower your expectations. at least for now

Was bored and thought I'd look at past attach rates for COD titles at launch. Not sure if anyone can fill in the blanks + please correct if wrong. Peaked around BLOPS.

COD2
[360] 251K (77%)

COD3
[360] 333K (10%)
[PS3] 24K (12%)
[WII] 48K (10%)

COD4:MW
[360] 1.57M (20%)
[PS3] 444K (18%)

COD:WAW
[360] 1.41M (11%)
[PS3] 597K (10%)
[WII] ?

COD:MW2
[360] 4.2M (24%)
[PS3] 1.9M (19%)

COD:BLOPS
[360] 4.9M (21%)
[PS3] 3.1M (21%)
[WII] ?

COD:MW3
[360] ?
[PS3] ?
[360+PS3] 8.9M (18%)
[WII] <100K (<0.3%)

COD:BLOPS2
[360] 4.5M (11%)
[PS3] 2.9M (13%)
[WIU] 21K (5%)

99%

Wow COD2 had 70%.

If MW4 launches next fall as a cross-Gen title on Xbox3, would 21k sales be an acceptable number for first week sales? I think we all know the answer to that.

Exactly. You get it. If COD was a launch title for the nextbox i wouldnt be suprised if the attach rate was over 50%.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
No. 2013.

I'm highly skeptical that both MS and Sony release a new console in 2013. Microsoft might release in 2013, but will most likely have very little content to back it up. The first place we will have seen either of these machines is E3 2013, leaving around 4 months time to launch. Sony seems extremely unlikely to launch in 2013 as they have a large amount of content for next year (ps3 and vita) with a high amount of it coming from their first party development studios.

Ignoring obvious things like Blops2U launching weeks later than the other versions, you're still comparing apples and oranges.

Nintendo consoles are Mario boxes. Microsoft ones Call of Duty boxes. Ergo you should be comparing the sales of the two flagship launch titles, NSMBU and (presumably) CoD:MW4. Do you think MW4 is going to do better than 275K it's first week on XB3?

Ignoring obvious things like Blops2U launching weeks later than the other versions, you're still comparing apples and oranges.

Nintendo consoles are Mario boxes. Microsoft ones Call of Duty boxes. Ergo you should be comparing the sales of the two flagship launch titles, NSMBU and (presumably) CoD:MW4. Do you think MW4 is going to do better than 275K it's first week on XB3?
Do you mean 243k?

COD2 did more at the 360's launch. So it's entirely possible. A 5% migration from 360->720 would be about enough.

COD is something of a barometer for 3rd parties. NSMBU isn't.

CoD released like 5 days before the Wii U, not weeks.

And considering that CoD is much more front loaded than NSMB, all they need is a minority of CoD fans to buy the 720 version and they'll easily surpass NSMB launch month numbers.

jcm

iboSBoA4kwHY4e.png

ibs69xKNjU3pgM.png

1% of all BLOPS2 sales were from the Wii U version in the UK.

In the US the same number is something like 0.3%.

These are excellent charts. Hard to believe the 3ds is the current gen market leader, by a lot. Handhelds are screwed.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So some people were saying consoles will start suffering the same fate as handhelds. If the next xbox and ps4 do Wii U numbers, what do you guys think the cause will be?

Handhelds are easy, it's most likely a result of iPods, Smart Phones and Tablets. But could the same combo be pushing out consoles too with the general public?

I don't think they will. Consoles offer a unique experience that tablets/smart phones simply cannot do.

Wii U is early and if it tanks it will be due to lack of mainstream interest in the controller.

Yikes indeed at that handheld chart. Sony could at least move to their phones, but for Nintendo? That's a huge loss of revenue.

Curufinwe

I don't think they will. Consoles offer a unique experience that tablets/smart phones simply cannot do.

I agree. People will still want content that takes full advantage of their 40-80 inch TV screens, and new consoles from MS and Sony in 2013/14 will be in the best position to fill that role.

Not surprised that PASBR tanked along with the Vita. The Vita is the harbinger of the end of dedicated handheld gaming (at least in the West, I think Japan is still a viable market). Either way, the Vita blew its load with AC and CoD and I'm not sure what it has left for the West. I don't think there is any can't miss software left and I doubt a price cut will significantly spur sales. By this time next year, I expect the Vita to begin being phased out of Sony's plans.

Console sales show what we all know- that 360 is the CoD-box and it has a sizable lead in terms of mindshare in the US. I think December will have a similar gap in sales, if not greater.

Playstation Family bombed, outsold by one console. Their major first party releases all sold less than 100k, some of them less than 10k. There is no way to spin that positively.

No, ps3 did pretty well. Also, Sony usually never releases monthly numbers. No need to spin when there's no need for it. Vita did poor but handhelds look dead in the US after the DS finally dies out.

No, ps3 did pretty well. Also, Sony usually never releases monthly numbers. No need to spin when there's no need for it. Vita did poor but handhelds look dead in the US after the DS finally dies out.

They're not gonna release a press release....."PSV was in last place this holiday, BUT it was still the best sales we ever had. Also the 360 missed out on doubling the PS3 numbers. YAY!"
I don't think handhelds are dead; I just don't think there's room for two anymore. The 3DS will obviously swallow the DS sales after its gone, probably after another price cut. It won;t match the DS's total sales though. DS + PSP was the golden age of handheld sales.

jcm

3DS was the 2nd best selling system before Black Friday week. Maybe if Nintendo had bundles going with 1-2 free games for $50-70 off then 3DS could've kept pace with the 360/PS3/Vita firesales.

The 3ds is supposed to be in the prime of its life. If it needs massive giveaways to sell well then it's screwed. The 360 and PS3 are in totally different places in their lifespan, and the vita is a dead man walking.

Miles X

Damn very impressive..

i wonder for how many years Microsoft will keep X360 on the market after X3 wiil launch next november

As long as it's viable I guess. If they can get within a whisker of PS2 (which I expect they will 44m~) I do wonder if they'll push just that little bit harder to achieve 'best ever selling home console in US' or if that means nothing to them and they'll just call it quits.

Remember that crayon prediction chart the used to get mocked and ridiculed? If they'd said 360 instead of PS3, it wouldn't look so ridiculous anymore.

It still would look ridiculous, it had the Wii enjoying negative sales at this point. Also IIRC it had the PS3 (or if you prefer the 360) blowing past the Wii and not looking back. At best, in NA, the 360 will crawl past the Wii's corpse despite 33% more time on the market.

The 3ds is supposed to be in the prime of its life. If it needs massive giveaways to sell well then it's screwed. The 360 and PS3 are in totally different places in their lifespan, and the vita is a dead man walking.

Until the 3DS gets below $150 and stays there it isn't in the prime of it's life. It is still way overpriced for any handheld outside of the DS/PSP boom years. It also needs somthing done about game prices and some actual games to buy in the first place in NA. Even so it won't do what the DS did, which is fine (and something Nintendo should have been better prepared). Vita is dead, no room for 2 in dedicated handheld town anymore.

Microsoft and Sony waiting until the return of Jesus Christ for them to release new hardware.

Celine

When DS dies down it's likely 3DS will pick up those sales, as happened to DS when GBA finally died out in US around 2007.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
When DS dies down it's likely 3DS will pick up those sales, as happened to DS when GBA finally died out in US around 2007.

The problem the 3DS faces in part isn't just a tougher mobile market, but that the DS is hugely successful. People are still buying DSes and kids still want them. Not just due to consumer confusion (however much it really happens). But lower price + huge discount software library. Much as people are still buying the Wii for its price and back catalog.

Pranay

The problem the 3DS faces in part isn't just a tougher mobile market, but that the DS is hugely successful. People are still buying DSes and kids still want them. Not just due to consumer confusion (however much it really happens). But lower price + huge discount software library. Much as people are still buying the Wii for its price and back catalog.

What 3ds and Vita actually need

From what I can find, please correct if wrong. Not sure if there are 2002 or earlier numbers. November handheld sales:

GBA = 1.32M
Total = 1.32M

GBA = 1.1M
NDS = 480K
Total = 1.58M

GBA = 820K
NDS = 370K
PSP = 350K
Total = 1.54M

GBA = 640K
NDS = 920K
PSP = 410K
Total = 1.97M

NDS = 1.53M
PSP = 570K
Total = 2.10M

NDS = 1.57M
PSP = 420K
Total = 1.99M

NDS = 1.70M
PSP = 290K
Total = 1.99M

NDS = 1.50M
PSP = 280K
Total = 1.78M

NDS = 350K
PSP = ~200K
3DS = 795K
Total = 1.35M

NDS = 370K
PSP = ?
3DS = 540K
PSV = ~210K
Total = 1.12M

-----

Looking at 2011 v. 2010, the NDS has already died down.

However you want to look at it, the Wii U was not a solid launch. The device is better than its sales or the knowledge of the people about the system itself. Nintendo is for some reason obsessed with not marketing their devices fully in order to stop shortages [ever since the Wii].

Shortages sell systems, they generate consumer enthusiasm, and set off a nice spark at the beginning of a new generation.

Colossal error strategically for Nintendo. Now Sony and especially Microsoft can just coast until their next systems and they don't have to answer the Wii U at all.

Celine

What I mean with the post above is that consumers still looking for DS because they want a cheap dedicated handheld with a huge game library is good for Nintendo because eventually they will get there with 3DS.

The post I quoted said that when DS finally will die out the picture would be uglier but I think 3DS will pick up those sales.

I'm not saying 3DS US sales are good by any means because as of now they are disappointing.

Looking at 2011 v. 2010, the NDS has already died down.
When we'll get a "?" for DS that it will be dead.
So low no one care anymore.

Not that what you said is wrong.
DS heights in the US are record-breaking yearly HW sales.

Nintendo is for some reason obsessed with not marketing their devices fully in order to stop shortages [ever since the Wii].
They are probably scared to pay costly advertaisment for then not be able to fullfill demand and let consumer then choose to buy a cheaper rival alternative if the WiiU isn't easily found.

Maybe they are confident they can push the system in 2013.

Top Bottom