• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Alrus

The Wii was a bonafide sensation though, that part of the market may be gone but it doesn't mean anything to you or I, unless you're concerned that balance boards are under represented in gaming right now and the future.

He's not talking about the Wii generation though.

StevieP

Banned
Like was stated Nintendo is the sole reason for the contraction. Sony and MS are doing just fine vs the PS3 and 360.

It might be a narrow view...but its my new view. Look back at every gen...and 1 and 2 has been fine. Remove the PS3 or 360 and 1-2 last gen woulda been fine vs the previous gen.

Removing data to make a point dissolves the point.

The Wii was a bonafide sensation though, that part of the market may be gone but it doesn't mean anything to you or I, unless you're concerned that balance boards are under represented in gaming right now and the future.

Money out of the traditional market is money out of the traditional market. It affects everyone. Losing part of a market is not a net positive. Losing entire demographics is not a net positive. In fact the word losing indicates just that.

Chris1

And what do you see?

DLC First & Competitive CoD moving to Playstation is why I think it will do a lot more popular on Playstation this year. It will obviously sell well on both but I think PS will take the cake. Also wasn't Activions name absent from that list of bc devs for Xbox One? Which means Call of Duty probably won't be coming for a while right?

Yeah I think that will help Sony, but not massive amounts. CoD's "home" is with Xbox IMO no matter where the early DLC or competitive goes. People will switch over but not enough to make PS4 the CoD home sales wise in US, I'll be surprised if it does.

As for BC we don't know yet, according to EvB they are testing CoD4, MW2 and BO2 and Phil Spencer is in talks with Activision etc and says "talks are positive".

Of course not all games MS test will be released for the public, they are probably just getting ahead of the curve incase Activision does agree with it so that they have it ready to launch or they could just be testing a wide range of games to make sure the emulator works.

Melchiah

true, but you also have to remember that the 3ds was beating the ds in its first two years. There are different types of situations and different metrics to use for each generation.

A lot of people don't realize this but the reason 360 and ps3 sold as much as they did in the states, is not because of their first 3 years. Its because of how popular cod was a long with move and kinect. Yes wii was casually driven, but so were both of those consoles. The longevity WAS because of the casuals, and with things like motion controls not being the hit thing, and cod not being nearly as popular as it used to be with no replacement franchise in sight, im gonna have hard time buy that one and ps4 are going to beat ps3 and 360 when its all said and done.

If we are including handheld consoles to the equation, should we also include their current competitors, the phones and tablets?

The market is shrinking, if we only count the combined sales, letting the Wii U numbers draw the PS and XB numbers down. It's only affecting Nintendo at the moment, and we can only guess how it would have been if the Wii's successor hadn't been such a failure.

As for casuals and motion controls, the PS3 attracted the same amount of customers in the end as the 360, despite of its lesser popular motion control method. I don't think a single game franchise, even as popular as COD, mattered that much either.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
its honestly the biggest gaming franchise in the world in my opinion

btw these are Minecraft physical numbers. Basically no one I know who bought this game physically, I wouldn't be surprise if digital to physical ratio almost 50:50. Also all the iOS, WP, Android purchases. DAMN

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.
I don't know about that man...

specialK

Banned
Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.
giphy.gif

AniHawk

If we are including handheld consoles to the equation, should we also include their current competitors, the phones and tablets?

The market is shrinking, if we only count the combined sales, letting the Wii U numbers draw the PS and XB numbers down. It's only affecting Nintendo at the moment, and we can only guess how it would have been if the Wii's successor hadn't been such a failure.

As for casuals and motion controls, the PS3 attracted the same amount of customers in the end as the 360, despite of its lesser popular motion control method. I don't think a single game franchise, even as popular as COD, mattered that much either.

retail mostly concerns how dedicated hardware does and how well the software for dedicated hardware does. tablets, like pcs, are difficult to track with regards to how many people use them as gaming devices.

the dedicated market is a declining space. you have to put a lot of blinders up to see success, and usually that's in regards to how the xbox one and ps4 are doing in the us, or how the ps4 is doing worldwide.

GTA would be close behind.

The reason Minecraft edges it out is it's E rating and low intro price.
that defiantly helps, i honestly have no idea how these kids play on touch screen devices for minecraft. i tried it once and i wanted to go right back to the computer. its controls were awwfull

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah I think that will help Sony, but not massive amounts. CoD's "home" is with Xbox IMO no matter where the early DLC or competitive goes. People will switch over but not enough to make PS4 the CoD home sales wise in US, I'll be surprised if it does.

Not any more. Not with the amount of people who switched from 360 to PS4.

I don't know about that man...

Joke post, click his tag.

watdaeff4

How about a $50 price cut for PS4? I can see Sony slashing the price to $350 before the holiday season.
Bait question? I'll play along though......

Then I think it will solidify them taking Nov (which I think they would at the current price assuming bundles for CoD and Battlefront) and Dec

If they did it going into Halo month I think it would make that month very interesting, much more so than the UC collection

While BC may help bring some X360 owners over to XB1 now. I think that we have enough data this gen to show that at same or even similar prices, more people are going to buy a PS4 over an XB1. They have only won months where they had great deals.

Chobel

As for BC we don't know yet, according to EvB they are testing CoD4, MW2 and BO2 and Phil Spencer is in talks with Activision etc and says "talks are positive".

Of course not all games MS test will be released for the public, they are probably just getting ahead of the curve incase Activision does agree with it so that they have it ready to launch or they could just be testing a wide range of games to make sure the emulator works.

This doesn't make any sense, not 2 weeks ago Activison was not supporting BC.

-------------------------
"CoD's "home" is with Xbox IMO no matter where the early DLC or competitive goes", that will change. Maybe not this year, but it will by next year.

BeforeU

Joke post, click his tag.

You do know that last year COD sold the most on 360 on NPD. 360 still has massive install base who are yet to switch. Gears, Halo and COD this year will definitely help most of them covert.

This holiday is going to be very very interesting.

Eggbok

Ohhhh that's awesome! I'd love to see how smooth the connection would be between people playing CoD together on X360 and XB1.

Chris1

A lot of people switched to PS4 that's true but AW in its debut month still sold more on both 360 and XB1 than it did on the PS4. I know it's been almost a year since then and more consoles have been sold so things could change this year but I don't think it will. We'll see though, should be interesting to see.

Are you referring to them not being on the list of publishers supporting BC? Because that could just mean they aren't yet on board but haven't said no either.

www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-microsoft-in-posit/1100-6429470/

They are still in talks with Activision for whatever reason and talks are positive apparently.

vin-buc

What are Ytd's for Ghosts/AW for US? PS4 being CoD home is going to happen and alot of 360 only gamers are going to be PS4 only gamers because of it. The switch is real.

Boke1879

A lot of people switched to PS4 that's true but AW in its debut month still sold more on both 360 and XB1 than it did on the PS4. I know it's been almost a year since then and more consoles have been sold so things could change this year but I don't think it will. We'll see though, should be interesting to see.

Are you referring to them not being on the list of publishers supporting BC? Because that could just mean they aren't yet on board but haven't said no either.

www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-microsoft-in-posit/1100-6429470/

They are still in talks with Activision for whatever reason and talks are positive apparently.

Again that was before this partnership. With DLC coming to Playstation first I have to believe many will switch. Twitch and youtube content creators literally HAVE to get the PS4 version in order to showcase the new content and their subscribers and followers will get that version in order to play with them.

The game will obviously sell well on both. But I think PS4 gets the edge especially if they have a bundle on release.

Melchiah

retail mostly concerns how dedicated hardware does and how well the software for dedicated hardware does. tablets, like pcs, are difficult to track with regards to how many people use them as gaming devices.

the dedicated market is a declining space. you have to put a lot of blinders up to see success, and usually that's in regards to how the xbox one and ps4 are doing in the us, or how the ps4 is doing worldwide.

I think exactly the same vice versa. You have to put blinders up to see failure; dismissing the sales increases by putting the three together, and ignoring how the sales have decreased on one platform.

Sakura

btw these are Minecraft physical numbers. Basically no one I know who bought this game physically, I wouldn't be surprise if digital to physical ratio almost 50:50. Also all the iOS, WP, Android purchases. DAMN

I ain't no mathematician but shouldn't that be 1:1?

gimmmick

Windows 10 release, the age of sony is indeed done. What will be next month's excuse be?

Chobel

But until they say yes, MS can't test any Activision BC game. That's the part where it doesn't make sense.

Bsigg12

-------------------------
"CoD's "home" is with Xbox IMO no matter where the early DLC or competitive goes", that will change. Maybe not this year, but it will by next year.

They never said they weren't, it just wasn't confirmed yet.

Abdiel

Can't speak for any other retailers, but at least in our stores, PS4 leads on preorders for Black Ops III and Battlefront (Interestingly, we actually saw a decent switch of XB1 to PS4 preorders with the full announcements of the competitive stuff and the DLC switch.). I'd assume that Sony fostering a "best place to play ______" is the reason that they've now targeted almost every popular genre in the various dominant markets. I mean, for shooters you have Destiny, Battlefront, Battlefield and COD all with Sony, at this point, right?

And they still manage their tremendous diversity elsewhere, which means the PS4 avoids the 'shooter/dudebro' image, while still appealing to them. It's been very interesting to see the differences as such.

Dragon

Banned
You do know that last year COD sold the most on 360 on NPD. 360 still has massive install base who are yet to switch. Gears, Halo and COD this year will definitely help most of them covert.

This holiday is going to be very very interesting.

Most of them? How do you figure?

Madden was the 2nd best selling game in the US last year. FIFA was 9.

Creamsugar posted that the 360 and PS4 versions of Madden 15 sold between 1m and 1.5m units in 2014, and were the only 2 Madden 15 SKU's to go over 1 million in 2014, while FIFA had none go over 1m.
Hmm interesting. Still, FIFA at #9 overall in the US is great! Remember this is happening in EA's country of origin whom 20 years ago almost didn't launch the first FIFA on fears that it wouldn't sell.

Any word on how Madden and FIFA stack up to each other but on a worldwide scale? I know FIFA wins but by how much?

AniHawk

I think exactly the same vice versa. You have to put blinders up to see failure; dismissing the sales increases by putting the three together, and ignoring how the sales have decreased on one platform.

it's not a matter of putting all three together. microsoft is going to have a tough fight ahead of them to sell 90 million xbox ones. sony's not selling 85 million ps vitas. only sony has a chance at making one platform sell as well as their previous hardware did in a six year period (and it's a pretty good chance).

no one's coming out of this gen without taking a hit.

think of this more of warning signs, or maybe the start of a more pronounced decline, than the actual death of dedicated consoles. and this isn't just lower hardware sales in a vacuum either. there aren't as many publishers in the retail space anymore and there are fewer games being made there to boot.

kswiston

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a decrease for the PS4+XB1 worldwide (if not in the US) by the end of this generation. I don't see the two systems selling a combined 170M this generation. Obviously, Nintendo dropping 85M units worldwide will make things look much worse.

BeforeU

Lol... Yeah... I think he meant 50/50!

lol yes I meant 50/50 1:1 ratio

Most of them? How do you figure?

Because shooter crowd still prefers Xbox, latest COD sold the most on 360 in last years chart. Just using the common sense at this point. 360 shooter crowd who wants to convert are probably waiting for next gen Halo or COD. and of course Battlefront.

If not this holiday, then I don't know if anything would make them want to upgrade.

BokehKing

Banned
You do know that last year COD sold the most on 360 on NPD. 360 still has massive install base who are yet to...
All the more reason Microsoft should have held onto that COD contract

Those people who only play COD on 360, they are going to want the DLC first no?

Chris1

What are Ytd's for Ghosts/AW for US? PS4 being CoD home is going to happen and alot of 360 only gamers are going to be PS4 only gamers because of it. The switch is real.

I'm not sure the actual sales numbers but here's the NPD threads for both AW and Ghosts in their debut months:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=950407
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733905

I just noticed both PS3 and PS4 Ghosts outsold XB1, so the PS4/X1 split could be much closer than I originally thought.

But until they say yes, MS can't test any Activision BC game. That's the part where it doesn't make sense.
Oh I don't know about that, all I know is according to EvB they are apparently testing it internally right now. I think he finds out from 360 games that have their own page on the XB1 because he's posted pics of other games before and one of them went BC (Shadow Complex).

Dragon

Banned
Because shooter crowd still prefers Xbox, latest COD sold the most on 360 in last years chart. Just using the common sense at this point. 360 shooter crowd who wants to convert are probably waiting for next gen Halo or COD. and of course Battlefront.

If not this holiday, then I don't know if anything would make them want to upgrade.

But two of those games are going to be on PS4. And CoD and Battlefront are both going to have DLC partnerships with Playstation. Not to mention more of their friends are likely to have Playstations at this point.

AniHawk

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a decrease for the PS4+XB1 worldwide (if not in the US) by the end of this generation. I don't see the two systems selling a combined 170M this generation. Obviously, Nintendo dropping 85M units worldwide will make things look much worse.

gen 6 hardware: microsoft (24m) + sony (156m) = 180m
gen 7 hardware: microsoft (90m) + sony (175m) = 265m
gen 8 hardware: microsoft (60m) + sony (115m) = 175m

with nintendo:

gen 6: +103m = 283m
gen 7: +255m = 520m
gen 8: +80m = 255m

and people have been telling me i've been generous with my predictions. it's not even the full story of gen 6, where there were other handhelds and consoles involved. the full number there is closer to 300m.

Chris1

Can't speak for any other retailers, but at least in our stores, PS4 leads on preorders for Black Ops III and Battlefront (Interestingly, we actually saw a decent switch of XB1 to PS4 preorders with the full announcements of the competitive stuff and the DLC switch.). I'd assume that Sony fostering a "best place to play ______" is the reason that they've now targeted almost every popular genre in the various dominant markets. I mean, for shooters you have Destiny, Battlefront, Battlefield and COD all with Sony, at this point, right?

And they still manage their tremendous diversity elsewhere, which means the PS4 avoids the 'shooter/dudebro' image, while still appealing to them. It's been very interesting to see the differences as such.
Interesting, thanks for that info.

I fully expected Battlefront to lead the sales on PS4, Sony hit the jackpot with that deal IMO. Black Ops 3 leading pre orders at your stores is very surprising though, I never would have expected that.

Melchiah

it's not a matter of putting all three together. microsoft is going to have a tough fight ahead of them to sell 90 million xbox ones. sony's not selling 85 million ps vitas. only sony has a chance at making one platform sell as well as their previous hardware did in a six year period (and it's a pretty good chance).

no one's coming out of this gen without taking a hit.

think of this more of warning signs, or maybe the start of a more pronounced decline, than the actual death of dedicated consoles.

I'm not sure what Vita, or handhelds in general, have to do with the matter. They weren't even included in the chart that was discussed.

The worldwide XBO sales are likely to go down from last gen when this gen is wrapped, but I think that's more to do with their launch issues than the decline of the console market.

There may be a downfall in sales in the coming years, but the past 21 months haven't really warranted the doom-mongering.

Top Bottom