• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

noshten

I like how people compare USA sales being similar to Japan for splatoon. There is a huge difference in market size. Splatoon is a huge hit in Japan for a console game, while in the USA it's selling just good enough for a console game.

This is like the first time I agree with you to a certain degree, in Japan Splatoon might just end up the highest selling console game of the year.
In the US it appears to be big game for the Wii U but certainly not at the same level as MK8/SSB. The question is how them tentacles hold up for the rest of the year. 85K is decent for the 3rd month provided it continues to roll on like other larger franchises published by Nintendo. This would be confirmed if it does better in August due to the update - MK8's legs were in part due to the DLCs and support after launch.

vin-buc

COD is associated with Xbox, years of marketing and money has been spent on that. Just because its market on PS4 is not going to make everything turn. It will sell great on both hardware.

same thing for MGS V. if Microsoft had marketing rights for MGS V, it would 't make that much of a difference.

Yea - that's why I'm wondering. But that timed DLC is a big thing and if they bundle it, it's going to be huge. Also - CoD eSports flipping to the PS4. CoD is a culture thing.

Depending on those 360 converts - if those gamers are CoD gamers, that platform change can mean gamers follow the "CoD platform"

I think this is a bit different than a normal marketing switch/bundle. And am curious of the November NPD outcome because of it. Sony gambled on this.

Eggbok

Uncharted 4 bundle will move lots of units in the US.
Remasters of course are never system sellers.

If Rare Replay and Gears Ultimate can possibly win MS August (remasters), why can't Uncharted possibly win October ??

COD is associated with Xbox, years of marketing and money has been spent on that. Just because its market on PS4 is not going to make everything turn. It will sell great on both hardware.

same thing for MGS V. if Microsoft had marketing rights for MGS V, it would 't make that much of a difference.

I think a lot of people are underestimating what CoD will do for PS4 sales. Marketing, Competitive and DLC all moved to PS. So that community that's been on Xbox all these years is likely to switch to PS.

Looks like I got very close to the X1 number in my predictions...can't wait to see the rest of the numbers drop.

If Rare Replay and Gears Ultimate can possibly win MS August (remasters), why can't Uncharted possibly win October ??

Halo 5 Gaurdians

But seriously, it is not just RRP and Gears that are helping X1 in August. You also have the two Xbox bundles with Madden & Gears, and you also have the big Best Buy X1 deal which is apparently selling a lot of units.

Jawmuncher

I'm just happy to see a Jurassic Park game doing so well. Even if it's tied to the Lego brand.
Bolds well for someone making something for Jurassic World 2 as well as Lego Jurassic World 2/

Wow at Destiny charting. The way some people on GAF talked about it you'd think it was a flop on the level of Titanfall (which wasn't a flop either, but that's the narrative)...

Yes, seems there's a big Destiny love in we're not privy to, out there, somewhere. Adam Boyes was also talking to them on stage at E3.

Gator86

I think the issue for me is that the overall Gen 8 totals are currently under even Gen 6. That shows that the core console market is contracting to me because it disregards the Wii. This is a scary chart below. Smartphones/iPads, to me, are eating the console's lunch by far. Sure the top 2 consoles are killing it comparatively, but that's a pretty narrow view.

rxDJw.jpg

Can't believe the "Console gaming is dying!" people showed up on page 2. Of course Gen 8 sales are going to be under Gen 7 considering how hard Nintendo shit the bed. We basically went from 3 console options to 2. You're going to see lower numbers when a third of the market trips over its own feet and dies. Sony and MS are doing absolutely fine by any metric.

I am so out of touch with popular games these days. Nothing in the top interests me in any way. :(
Same thing for me.

Boring month.
Pretty much

Did not expect Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour though

As for Splatoon.
1.62 million as of june 30th
Add 85K for july npd and another 148K for japan and it's around 1.85 million now.
Will reach two million soon enough.

edit: nevermind. The 1.62 were shipments. not sold

And gen 7 was down from gen 6 during the first three years as well.

EDIT:

Dunno about that, as I'd wager most DC owners bought another system when it was discontinued. I could be wrong, but I have a faint recollection of ZhugeEX saying something similar.
and when we get to finish this year then we can talk, but till then there really isn't proof that it is going to do better or worse till its all said and done, just the facts that it is still down.

Boke1879

Minecraft man. hollyshit.

Witcher 3 should have been up there.

For COD I think you'll be in for a surprise. With marketing on PS4 and no doubt it will get DLC early. I think you'll see a lot of people make the switch.

Youtube COD content creators will have to get the game on PS4 with DLC being first. I would not be shocked if COD sold more on PS4 and if they have a bundle with the new game I believe it'll move the needle in a big way in PS4's favor.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
In the US? By itself, I don't think it'll push so many PS4's. With a bundle though, that is different.

Sony would be dumb not to do a bundle of their biggest game so far.

Bruno MB

I was going to say that this month's NPD is completely dead but then I realized that it has been opened late.

Anyway, another month where I can't comment anything due to a complete lack of data. I lately enter these threads, I check how the hardware did it and until the next month :(

Elios83

In the US? By itself, I don't think it'll push so many PS4's. With a bundle though, that is different.

Even Bloodborne moved units.
Of course there will be a bundle and it will be huge, don't see any reason why you're discounting it.

I think a lot of people are underestimating what CoD will do for PS4 sales. Marketing, Competitive and DLC all moved to PS. So that community that's been on Xbox all these years is likely to switch to PS.

Yeah lol double standard logic ;)
Truth is that looking at past examples remasters have never been system sellers.
Uncharted Collection won't be a system seller and neither will those Microsoft games.

Melchiah

microsoft and sony aren't going to sell as much hardware this gen as they did in gen 7. they might do a combined effort for gen 6, maybe. gen 6 and 7 saw growth for all parties involved (except sega in gen 7 for obvious reasons) though.

That remains to be seen. The current situation is an increase from last gen.

specdot

Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.
I mean...uhh...sure...
Wait a minute. Na-uh. Not falling for this one. Poor troll attempt. 1/10.

Chris1

Halo 5 is releasing in October... If XB1 doesn't win, the internet may very well implode.

XB1 will win Oct, Nov and Dec and IMO by a large amount again. MS care far too much about halo month and the holidays to risk losing, if they think there's even a chance of losing they'll give away consoles for free pretty much just to win.

watdaeff4

What is Sony releasing this month? What is MS releasing in Oct?
Huge difference.

Plus I think some people predicting a MS win this month are factoring in the Best Buy deal.

I think this month will be really close FWIW. I don't think either of Xbox remasters are system sellers personally. I think the BB promotion will have much more of an impact.

ViciousDS

Banned
Yes, seems there's a big Destiny love in we're not privy to, out there, somewhere. Adam Boyes was also talking to them on stage at E3.

Exactly, Boyes wouldn't talk about Destiny unless they knew how many people still love and play the game.....the numbers for players logging in everyday must still be a very good number. We just have a very vocal group on the main forums....but if you check out the community forums.....there is a reason why there have been so many OT's made for the game.....its a very populated game.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Can't believe the "Console gaming is dying!" people showed up on page 2. Of course Gen 8 sales are going to be under Gen 7 considering how hard Nintendo shit the bed. We basically went from 3 console options to 2. You're going to see lower numbers when a third of the market trips over its own feet and dies. Sony and MS are doing absolutely fine by any metric.

I was talking about Gen 6?

About this gen to gen comparison...when the NX releases next year, and say it sells like hotcakes, will its sales be added to gen 8 or is Ninty's new console (if it is even a console) in a new gen of its own, gen 9?

vin-buc

XB1 will win Oct, Nov and Dec and IMO by a large amount again. MS care far too much about halo month and the holidays to risk losing, if they think there's even a chance of losing they'll give away consoles for free pretty much just to win.

Did Xbox win Oct. 2014? I thought they only won Nov./Dec. 2014.

I honestly don't think MS will drop the price as aggressively as they did last year. I think they are comfortable in their position behind Sony. It did little for them throughout 2015. In fact it may have hurt them. They have good stuff coming up - their in a good position for the holiday.

Melchiah

and when we get to finish this year then we can talk, but till then there really isn't proof that it is going to do better or worse till its all said and done, just the facts that it is still down.

The PS and XB platforms aren't currently down from last gen based on the quote in the OP.

I don't recall there being such doom-mongering, when gen 7 failed to beat gen 6 in its first three years. Eventhough the sales of first two years were pretty close with gen 7 and 8.

Elios83

This is basically the war chest theory part two and how no third party could refuse Microsoft's money, right?
With a PS4 price cut coming during Halo launch week, exclusive COD, AC and Star Wars Battlefront bundles and marketing you shouldn't assume anything really.

Welfare

Even Bloodborne moved units.
Of course there will be a bundle and it will be huge, don't see any reason why you're discounting it.

By a big number in the US? You know this for a fact? Sales from February(342k) to March(340k) fell, and the weekly disparity is bigger, as March was 5 weeks compared to February's 4.

By the time UC4 launches, it'll be the PS4's 3rd March, and March has almost always been lower than February, even with an additional tracking week, and regardless of the software launched in the month.

Bsigg12

This is basically the war chest theory part two and how no third party could refuse Microsoft's money, right?
With a PS4 price cut coming during Halo launch week, exclusive COD, AC and Star Wars Battlefront bundles and marketing you shouldn't assume anything really.

Source or just speculation?

Eggbok

...because Halo 5 is a mainline title in one of the biggest IPs in gaming. UC Collection ain't doing anything.

Halo 5 is releasing in October... If XB1 doesn't win, the internet may very well implode.

What is Sony releasing this month? What is MS
releasing in Oct?
Huge difference.

Plus I think some people predicting a MS win this month are factoring in the Best Buy deal.

I think this month will be really close FWIW. I don't think either of Xbox remasters are system sellers personally. I think the BB promotion will have much more of an impact.

Well sure but Halo comes out at the very end of October. Will October continue tracking into November as well? And sure Uncharted is a remaster but it's one of Sonys most popular and biggest ip. So that can move systems as well and it comes out in the beginning of October.

I don't see Microsoft winning all three months. Call of Duty and Battlefront are going to lead the holiday sales. And since Playstation is marketing both it will be in Sonys favor. Sure MS can do bundles and PS can do the same thing. A lot of people are seriously underestimating what Call of Duty and Battlefront will do.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Regarding the BB promotion i think people need to remember that Best buy only accounts for like 10% of the USA Market.

And it's not like ps4 sold 0 units during the promotion.

I think it will give a fair boost to XB1. This boost added to the fact PS4 doesn't have any notable release might put XB1 on top for the month.

This is what Abdiel (BB insider) said on the prediction thread

Well. I don't know. It's not like we've stopped selling ps4s during this week. It's been a great promotion for them, but best buy is only 10% of the market for NPD and this is a single week sale limited to just us. Leading into this week we've had ps4 still was winning so far. We don't have a lot of preorders for the Madden bundle, though I'm sure it'll do something.

This one sale is a solid boost, but it doesn't affect the trends for gamestop or Wal-Mart, the two monsters for market share on consoles.

It's hard to read into specific deals for us, as a result.

August goes to Sony confirmed.

:)

Heh. I'm not making any such claim. I'm actually hoping for more insight from those in the other giants. Cause I have no idea about how the Madden bundle is thing at gs for example. It could be ready to clean house. We've got more preorders for the taken king bundle in my district than the Madden ones, by a pretty solid margin. I'm kind of surprised, honestly.

Elios83

Source or just speculation?

Speculation ;)

By a big number in the US? You know this for a fact? Sales from February(342k) to March(340k) fell, and the weekly disparity is bigger, as March was 5 weeks compared to February's 4.

By the time UC4 launches, it'll be the PS4's 3rd March, and March has almost always been lower than February, even with an additional tracking week, and regardless of the software launched in the month.

Don't discount Uncharted Welfare, it's a huge game, each chapter sells what? 5m units worldwide and they did that on the PS3 which has always been lukewarmly received in the US.
With PS4 every big game bundled with it picks fire.
An Uncharted 4 bundle with a customed themed PS4 will do huge hardware numbers in March, Destiny like.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

So word is its not a console but handheld?
What I meant is that Nintendo doesn't really care for generations. What they do care about is declining sales.

The wii u came out as a response to the wii slumping. This next machine will launch as both the wiiu and 3ds are in the decline. They're not doing it out of some sense that the generation passed them or to get a leg up on competitors for he next round. They're launching because of a need for a successor.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Pure speculation. Didn't a Sony insider already warn posters not to expect too much of a price drop (if at all)

GopherD gave an insight saying that Sony is more focused in profits than scale. the exact quote:
"a strategic decision not to pursue scale in order to improve profitability"
Common theme in the results release. Let that guide your price cut discussions.

It applies to TV, mobile and any low margin product within. The company would rather improve profitability at the expense of volume. PS is not immune to that thinking.

I don't think anyone outside would doubt there's a price cut due. I would just temper expectations somewhat.

I just saw that he's banned. Anyone knows why?

I get the feeling I see more consistently FIFA charting on NPD throughout the year than Madden. Is this true?

I'd love to know how sales of these two franchises stack up to each other in the U.S.. If there ever was a good metric to judge the growth of soccer in the USA is the soaring sales of FIFA in the last few years.

We've come a long way from the days where EA felt the need of adding "soccer" to the title because they thought the average American was too dumb to know FIFA meant soccer.

Welfare

I get the feeling I see more consistently FIFA charting on NPD throughout the year than Madden. Is this true?

I'd love to know how sales of these two franchises stack up to each other in the U.S.. If there ever was a good metric to judge the growth of soccer in the USA is the soaring sales of FIFA in the last few years.

We've come a long way from the days where EA felt the need of adding "soccer" to the title because they thought the average American was too dumb to know FIFA meant soccer.

Madden still sells a lot better in the US compared to FIFA.

Top Bottom