• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Same thing for me.

Pretty much

Did not expect Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour though

As for Splatoon.
1.62 million as of june 30th
Add 85K for july npd and another 148K for japan and it's around 1.85 million now.
Will reach two million soon enough.

you can't just add shipments to sales like that lol

What I meant is that Nintendo doesn't really care for generations. What they do care about is declining sales.

The wii u came out as a response to the wii slumping. This next machine will launch as both the wiiu and 3ds are in the decline. They're not doing it out of some sense that the generation passed them or to get a leg up on competitors for he next round. They're launching because of a need for a successor.

Well I meant from a sales data POV. If the total market size decreased this gen compared to last, adding a hypothetically popular NX to this gen's install base numbers might change that. Anyway who gives a shit.

watdaeff4

Well sure but Halo comes out at the very end of October. Will October continue tracking into November as well? And sure Uncharted is a remaster but it's one of Sonys most popular and biggest ip. So that can move systems as well and it comes out in the beginning of October.

I don't see Microsoft winning all three months. Call of Duty and Battlefront are going to lead the holiday sales. And since Playstation is marketing both it will be in Sonys favor. Sure MS can do bundles and PS can do the same thing. A lot of people are seriously underestimating what Call of Duty and Battlefront will do.
Lol I see what's going on here now.

Carry on.

Chris1

Did Xbox win Oct. 2014? I thought they only won Nov./Dec. 2014.

I honestly don't think MS will drop the price as aggressively as they did last year. I think they are comfortable in their position behind Sony. It did little for them throughout 2015. In fact it may have hurt them. They have good stuff coming up - their in a good position for the holiday.
Yep Nov and Dec last year, but October only had Sunset Overdrive which had lukewarm reception until release (and even after it too, depending on where you look..). Halo is a different beast alltogether.

This is basically the war chest theory part two and how no third party could refuse Microsoft's money, right?
With a PS4 price cut coming during Halo launch week, exclusive COD, AC and Star Wars Battlefront bundles and marketing you shouldn't assume anything really.

I don't see Microsoft winning all three months. Call of Duty and Battlefront are going to lead the holiday sales. And since Playstation is marketing both it will be in Sonys favor. Sure MS can do bundles and PS can do the same thing. A lot of people are seriously underestimating what Call of Duty and Battlefront will do.
I agree they will help Sony (especially battlefront) but I still don't see MS losing the holidays. Don't forget AW, while still under Xbox marketing, both X360 and X1 versions of the game outsold PS4 in its debut month. CoD is still very big on Xbox and I don't think a marketing deal will change that, it will help Sony no doubt, but it's not going to be a massive change. Battlefront is the one to look out for on Sony's side IMO.

If they can get BO2 BC for launch that will help persuade the 360 CoD people upgrade to X1 over PS4 also, just incase BO3 turns out to be bad then they can go back to BO2.
I don't think this will be a big thing even if Activision is even on board, but it's still something.

Madden still sells a lot better in the US compared to FIFA.
Not that I don't believe you, but what's your source? And how much is "a lot"? I find this topic fascinating.

What I do know is that Madden sales in the U.S., while still staggering, have more or less plateaued in the last few years while FIFA has done nothing but grow. With younger kids more and more into soccer I predict FIFA eventually outselling FIFA in the U.S. but we'll see.

StevieP

Banned
What I meant is that Nintendo doesn't really care for generations. What they do care about is declining sales.

The wii u came out as a response to the wii slumping. This next machine will launch as both the wiiu and 3ds are in the decline. They're not doing it out of some sense that the generation passed them or to get a leg up on competitors for he next round. They're launching because of a need for a successor.

It's the start of gen 9

Hawk269

A $299 PS4 CoD bundle would absolutely destroy the competition

And in turn drive Sony's profits off the deep end. Sony cannot afford to sell at a loss, especially with a title like COD packed in. Perhaps next year when a refresh/cheaper to produce version. Right now the PS4 is selling exceptionally well and they have no need to sell it cheaper that the current price.

I'm on vacation at the outer banks with my family and some friends, and yet I cannot stay away from that sweet NPD goodness. Why can't I quit you, GAF?

So, pies still baking?

Akai__

NPD threads are always so entertaining. I doubt that Minecraft and GTA 5 will vanish from this list anytime soon. lol

I also never knew that LEGO games are this popular or is this a special case because of it featuring Jurassic Park? I'm not too well informed on LEGO games, since I don't play those games and never cared too much. Forgive me my ignorance.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Meh, who cares about NPD? They aren't even close to showing the full story. Who cares if Sony sold 20000 or so consoles more? July saw the launch of Windows 10, bringing with it 14 million people into the Xbox ecosystem within 24 hours. That's enough to eliminate the sales gap IN ONE DAY.

I don't see how Sony can recover from this. I mean at one point they had the Vaio, but Kaz shortsightedly got out of the PC business to afford buying timed DLC for CoD.

I guess I should let all the ponies enjoy this one NPD battle, but Microsoft is winning the war.

Top bantz

I think a lot of people are underestimating what CoD will do for PS4 sales. Marketing, Competitive and DLC all moved to PS. So that community that's been on Xbox all these years is likely to switch to PS.
Yep! I know so many people who are switching because of the DLC.

Chobel

If Sony can match XBO price, they'll probably get Dec, and maybe even November depending on how well Halo 5 is received.

The PS and XB platforms aren't currently down from last gen based on the quote in the OP.

I don't recall there being such doom-mongering, when gen 7 failed to beat gen 6 in its first three years. Eventhough the sales of first two years were pretty close with gen 7 and 8.
true, but you also have to remember that the 3ds was beating the ds in its first two years. There are different types of situations and different metrics to use for each generation.

A lot of people don't realize this but the reason 360 and ps3 sold as much as they did in the states, is not because of their first 3 years. Its because of how popular cod was a long with move and kinect. Yes wii was casually driven, but so were both of those consoles. The longevity WAS because of the casuals, and with things like motion controls not being the hit thing, and cod not being nearly as popular as it used to be with no replacement franchise in sight, im gonna have hard time buy that one and ps4 are going to beat ps3 and 360 when its all said and done.

How about a $50 price cut for PS4? I can see Sony slashing the price to $350 before the holiday season.

Sales appear to be up over last year and they've got a huge cushion and tons of momentum with exclusives hitting next year. Why would they? The only time to do it is when things start to stall.

HardRojo

Surprised to see titles like Destiny and EOS sold better on XBO. Is there an explanation for that? I'd like to know how many units Arkham Knight has moved so far and wow at Splatoon still selling a significant amount, it seems Nintendo's strategy of delivering content periodically for free worked nicely for the title.

FireCloud

Possibly the slowest moving NPD thread in recent memory. I guess the lack of surprises or Cinderella titles charting would explain that.

vin-buc

A $299 PS4 CoD bundle would absolutely destroy the competition

I also think a $349.99 PS4 CoD bundle would absolutely do extremely well.

$299.99 with a game as big as CoD during a time when PS4 is doing this well is wishful thinking.

Welfare

Not that I don't believe you, but what's your source? And how much is "a lot"? I find this topic fascinating.

What I do know is that Madden sales in the U.S., while still staggering, have more or less plateaued in the last few years while FIFA has done nothing but grow. With younger kids more and more into soccer I predict FIFA eventually outselling FIFA in the U.S. but we'll see.

Madden was the 2nd best selling game in the US last year. FIFA was 9.

8Ft9s5p.jpg

Creamsugar posted that the 360 and PS4 versions of Madden 15 sold between 1m and 1.5m units in 2014, and were the only 2 Madden 15 SKU's to go over 1 million in 2014, while FIFA had none go over 1m.

Fat4all

Banned
If Sony can match XBO price, they'll probably get Dec, and maybe even November depending on how well Halo 5 is received.

Halo's reception will be interesting for this holiday season. Xbox is gonna do really good no matter what (especially if they have a fire-sale like last year), but the performance of Halo will determine if Sony gets an advantage or match sales wise.

Well, that and whatever console bundles Sony releases.

There'll be the Destiny Bundle, but I think a CoD and Star Wars bundles will be a must for them. I could see their basic system bundle being something like PS4/Assassin's Creed or PS4/Uncharted Collection (similar to the PS4/TLoS or PS4/Batman basics).

Eggbok

Lol I see what's going on here now.

Carry on.

And what do you see?

I agree they will help Sony (especially battlefront) but I still don't see MS losing the holidays. Don't forget AW, while still under Xbox marketing, both X360 and X1 versions of the game outsold PS4 in its debut month. CoD is still very big on Xbox and I don't think a marketing deal will change that, it will help Sony no doubt, but it's not going to be a massive change. Battlefront is the one to look out for on Sony's side IMO.

If they can get BO2 BC for launch that will help persuade the 360 CoD people upgrade to X1 over PS4 also, just incase BO3 turns out to be bad then they can go back to BO2.
I don't think this will be a big thing even if Activision is even on board, but it's still something.

DLC First & Competitive CoD moving to Playstation is why I think it will do a lot more popular on Playstation this year. It will obviously sell well on both but I think PS will take the cake. Also wasn't Activions name absent from that list of bc devs for Xbox One? Which means Call of Duty probably won't be coming for a while right?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think the issue for me is that the overall Gen 8 totals are currently under even Gen 6. That shows that the core console market is contracting to me because it disregards the Wii. This is a scary chart below. Smartphones/iPads, to me, are eating the console's lunch by far. Sure the top 2 consoles are killing it comparatively, but that's a pretty narrow view.

rxDJw.jpg

Like was stated Nintendo is the sole reason for the contraction. Sony and MS are doing just fine vs the PS3 and 360.

It might be a narrow view...but its my new view. Look back at every gen...and 1 and 2 has been fine. Remove the PS3 or 360 and 1-2 last gen woulda been fine vs the previous gen.

Fat4all

Banned
Yeah, but it's just small bills.

Eventually Microsoft will release a "Minecraft 2" or "Minecraft Unlimited" or whatever a few years from now and will be rolling in pure profit goodness. At this point in time, the ip and retail products of Minecraft is probably more profitable than the game itself.

Bsigg12

Yeah, but it's just small bills.

That's not including all the skin and texture packs they sell on the Xbox/Playstation versions of the game as well as the digital only PC and mobile versions. There's a reason it was valued at $2.5 billion when Microsoft bought it.

Welfare

Eventually Microsoft will release a "Minecraft 2" or "Minecraft Unlimited" or whatever a few years from now and will be rolling in pure profit goodness. At this point in time, the ip and retail products of Minecraft is probably more profitable than the game itself.

Minecraft as an IP is HUGE, especially amongst the very young demographic.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think the issue for me is that the overall Gen 8 totals are currently under even Gen 6. That shows that the core console market is contracting to me because it disregards the Wii. This is a scary chart below. Smartphones/iPads, to me, are eating the console's lunch by far. Sure the top 2 consoles are killing it comparatively, but that's a pretty narrow view.

rxDJw.jpg

The Wii was a bonafide sensation though, that part of the market may be gone but it doesn't mean anything to you or I, unless you're concerned that balance boards are under represented in gaming right now and the future.

Top Bottom