• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

This is it people, we are looking at the turning of the tide of this console war. There is a long road ahead for the Xbox One but this is where the gap is gradually closed and then extended far in its favour. Once the US is conquered, the revolution will begin in Europe, spreading from the Xbox One fortress of Finland and then in Asia from New Zealand and China. Before we know it the world map will be covered in green and Sony will have no other choice but to admit defeat.

This is the beginning of the end. The age of Sony is done.

Xbox be like:

gSVUV.jpg
Too bad everyone knows that Lockes the real main character.

Everything makes sense.

how much ps4 sold last april?

2 weeks on amazon

OK, so the evidence doesn't seem very strong for your argument. It seems to be speculative at best. Next time, be more clear that you're just speculating and suggesting this as a possibility, because my first inclination upon reading your post was to assume that it was fanboy damage control and react accordingly.

Dysun

Dont know why people expected the New 3DS to make a difference in the long run, incremental upgrade over the previous version with 1 exclusive game. The rate that games come out on that thing aint doing it any favors

So Bloodborne didn't do bad it just didn't chart because it was an exclusive. That makes me feel better
The game already did great in it's first month, a drop is fine since these types of games usually have great legs, specially on a system quite some people are still on the fence about.

Rocketz

I haven't seen any commercials for TW3 and it comes out in 5 days and we're almost halfway through the month, I don't think it'll have a huge effect on sales.

Spike TV in the U.S. has a Witcher 3 commercial about every break with an Xbox One logo attached to it.

Mory Dunz

I'm kinda of surprised MP10 would chart on indiviudual chart format.

Then again....how low are the SW sales if Smash recharted....

EatMyFace

Banned
the best part is they have won what? 3 months in the last 18 or something? Now that they have won April its time to blast the war horns! PRICE DROP SONY. etc etc.

consoles wars... smh
There was no meaningful XBO release in April. Threes no reason it sounds have beast the PS4....but it did and the price difference had a lot to do with it. Considering the almost identical game library, most will go with XBO over PS4.

Glad to see Xeno crack the top 10 in single SKU though. Game deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

I wonder how Bloodborne's sales are looking compared to The Order.

statham

Hopefully Xbox takes next month going into E3, could be the turning point if E3 is as good as I'm thinking.

Sony have gotten awfully conplacent. Microsoft have a lot of games this year and will aggressively bundle.

No they haven't. This type of thinking is incredibly naive. Sony wants to sell as many consoles as possible. Them being the market leader has no effect on them being aggressive. Do you think they just say "Ehhhh we're number 1. Put all the first party games on hold." Plus I won't go into the fact that PS4 has more games this year than MS anyways.

Kayant

ya if this is accurate that is a definite xboxone win, but didn't people note that amazon seemed to be sold out of ps4 for part of the month, and so they thought maybe ps4 would stay ahead?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2015-04/videogames/ref=zg_bsnr_tab_t_bsar#5

We don't know what the numbers are so this is kind of grasping.

Well sure but relative position suggests the XB1 could have done better because of the first being so close to PS4 and having another one not being far off. Same can be said for using amazon charts as indication in the first place ;)

joecanada

I honestly can't believe people use Amazon as a base for anything. Jesus.

what do you call a 100% prediction rate? Poor? even if it was off one month, which it hasn't been , it would still be considered unbelievably accurate.

even this month if you add up the top 100 console for month it's clear xbox should have been close/won.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hopefully Xbox takes next month going into E3, could be the turning point if E3 is as good as I'm thinking.

I would hope that people know to possibly wait until after E3 to buy a system in case there is a price drop. But who knows.

spliced

I think the fact its available on 4 systems as opposed to 1 and was a "new" title instead of being a month older would be much more relevant.

I guess so, but it's pretty good to sell that much of an upgrade to a game that came out so recently and for full price or at least close to full price.

Welfare

Wait a minute, weekly sales barely went down for the One.

March: 236k / 5 weeks = 47,200

April: 187k / 4 weeks = 46,750

That's insane!

Vena

Poor WiiU.

But with no software release, even what it sold is surprising.

3DS is chugging along to its eventual retirement.

gtj1092

Analyst comments:

“April 2015 hardware sales decreased by 4 percent due to the 55 percent decline in sales of [Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii] hardware,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. “[Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U] hardware sales were stable, and portable hardware increased by 36 percent.”

“Declines in hardware dollar sales were due to a decrease in average price of 4 percent, due to a drop in console hardware pricing,” said Callahan.

“For new physical console software, eighth-generation consoles sales grew by 200 percent in revenue, which offset declines from seventh-generation consoles of 62 percent, and portable declines of 32 percent,” said Callahan. “Overall, console software increased by 20 percent, leading to overall video game software growth of 13 percent.”

“If the top 10 software list was ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis, PS4’s Bloodborne, 3DS’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Wii U’s Mario Party 10 would make the list.”

“One possible reason for the soft April accessory sales is the shift in the Easter holiday in 2015. Most of this year’s Easter sales were likely to occur in March, while sales may have fallen into April last year, making for a poor comparison. (Easter occurred on April 5th in 2015 and on April 20th in 2014).”

“Gamepad sales increased by 27 percent due to the 83 percent increase in sales from eighth-generation gamepads. The best-selling gamepad SKU in April 2015 was the XBO WIRELESS CONTROLLER, with sales up by 56 percent.”

“Video game point & subscription cards had the highest sales within the accessories category; sales, however, declined from last April.”

Can't we figure out ps4 sales from this since we know Xb1 and Wii U sales?

The Wii U number is awful. But I suppose it's to be expected, the consoles gaming line up is so barren. MK and Smash can't do everything.

EatMyFace

Banned
Good news !! I want healthy competition (in the States/UK at least...).
You mean you want sales parity? Just because a console may win for months in a row, that doesn't mean it doesn't have competition. The XBO may never win another month but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be competition for the PS4...

Neff

It is also quite different from prior games despite people calling it a souls game. The diminished variety of items and types of viable gameplay make it less of an rpg and more of a strait up action game, and not a particularly good one imo. And then there is the art style which may not be as appealing.

The simplification of the formula was obviously an attempt to reach a wider audience. Whether that ever works or not though remains to be seen.

As far as Souls comparisons go, from a mainstream perspective it's probably not even relevant. Unless you'd played Souls before, it's highly unlikely that you'd ever make the connection with Bloodborne. That it does borrow significantly from Souls is simply down to Sony wishing for From to play to their strengths.

Well it was always going to happen, with the ps4 price being stuck where it is this long. I think a price drop this year is a certainty now, however there is no reason to do it earlier than November. So we might see a few more months of MS victories until then.

Chobel

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/14/april-2015-npd/
Analyst comments:

“April 2015 hardware sales decreased by 4 percent due to the 55 percent decline in sales of [Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii] hardware,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan said in a statement provided to GamesBeat. “[Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U] hardware sales were stable, and portable hardware increased by 36 percent.”

“Declines in hardware dollar sales were due to a decrease in average price of 4 percent, due to a drop in console hardware pricing,” said Callahan.

“For new physical console software, eighth-generation consoles sales grew by 200 percent in revenue, which offset declines from seventh-generation consoles of 62 percent, and portable declines of 32 percent,” said Callahan. “Overall, console software increased by 20 percent, leading to overall video game software growth of 13 percent.”

“If the top 10 software list was ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis, PS4’s Bloodborne, 3DS’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Wii U’s Mario Party 10 would make the list.”

“One possible reason for the soft April accessory sales is the shift in the Easter holiday in 2015. Most of this year’s Easter sales were likely to occur in March, while sales may have fallen into April last year, making for a poor comparison. (Easter occurred on April 5th in 2015 and on April 20th in 2014).”

“Gamepad sales increased by 27 percent due to the 83 percent increase in sales from eighth-generation gamepads. The best-selling gamepad SKU in April 2015 was the XBO WIRELESS CONTROLLER, with sales up by 56 percent.”

“Video game point & subscription cards had the highest sales within the accessories category; sales, however, declined from last April.”

Thanks!

So (Wii U+XB1+PS4) this year ≈ (Wii U+XB1+PS4) last year.

Top Bottom