• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

sense

Honestly I'm not sure there was much room for it to do better. Almost no one makes this style of game anymore.

Even Naughty Dog is moving off Uncharted and at least that has a long supported multiplayer component on top of the series being the king of the cinematic shooter genre.
I don't think naughty dog moving away from uncharted has anything to do with genre or sales. They just want to do new things and still stick to what make them great which is SP Cinematic games with strong story and characters

pastrami

Man, this read like a meme post.

Like dude, why would you need to mention you own all 4 consoles before questioning the success of R&C. lol

Then the whole the 2nd part is just what. Basically, PS4 got no good games with the exception one title, naughty dog better put out something good, then end with PS4 collecting dust. Omg, Dawg.

Then you mention sony should make more stuff like QB and maybe PS4 will sell better, like wtf. Its clear as day bruh, that on the NPD, that Sony gotta make more R&C like titles, man. lol.

Owning all four consoles means you are unbiased. Can't you see how unbiased he is?

FLEABttn

Banned
I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!!

I don't understand how you can complain about Ratchet & Clank being a title appealing to the nostalgia of videogamers from 2001 while in the same sentence talk about how crazy time powers in a Remedy game are and not see the irony in any of that.

cilonen

Its driving me nuts the amount of revisionist history is going on with QB right now. It was part of the greatest lineup in Xbox history, been around since the Xbox reveal, touted at almost every game show,has a bundle a TV show and had a pretty big marketing campaign...come on people

Yes. Let's not forget this.

Quantum Break Preorders Suggest it is a “Mega Hit,” Says Aaron Greenberg

It’s been great. Preorders are really strong; they’re performing well ahead of plan. Retailers are continuing to increase their orders for the game, which we track and watch. Tomorrow [April 1], the reviews hit, so we’ll see how they come in. We’ve been playing the game; we know it’s a great game. Fingers crossed, but I think we’re sitting on a mega hit.

Not "Fingers crossed but I think we could be looking at 7th in NPD this month behind second month sales of an annual baseball franchise and a game from last gen".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sony will probably keep making Uncharted games tho, actually contracting Remedy for the next one wouldn't be that crazy tbh.

While I think they will find someone to do it too, I also feel that the series will slowly be moved to progressively lower sales expectations, and that Naughty Dog will try to once again slowly move to a mix of what their strengths are and where the market is heading.

The switch between platformers to Uncharted was pretty apt, and they got in on that quite early, while making sure to include features that weren't necessarily mandatory at the time, but very useful over time like multiplayer.

I don't think naughty dog moving away from uncharted has anything to do with genre or sales. They just want to do new things and still stick to what make them great which is SP Cinematic games with strong story and characters

You don't feel that the move from Crash/Jak games to Uncharted was the result of the market? I think they were even implying as much while debuting the first game. They tend to be a pretty forward looking studio, as long time successes usually are.

I'm still expecting cinematic and singleplayer in their games, mind, but that's also a statement you can make about Grand Theft Auto V.

Guevara

Have to wonder what Microsoft is doing right now.

Hardware isn't selling great, even though it seems like it's always on sale. Software isn't selling great. I guess Gears will still do well.

Boke1879

Hardware numbers drop drastically in the month new hardware upgrade is mention and you think it's doubtful?

morpheusyouthinkthatsairyourebreathing?.gif

Honestly the shit really just made it's rounds on forums and twitter. It literally died out after a few days. Even if people have heard of it. I just think there will be slow months these days and we are entering that time right now.

ps3ud0

Its driving me nuts the amount of revisionist history is going on with QB right now. It was part of the greatest lineup in Xbox history, been around since the Xbox reveal, touted at almost every game show,has a bundle a TV show and had a pretty big marketing campaign...come on people
In a thread where we have so few numbers its been the best thing possible - havent laughed so hard - expecting QB to regress to some indie kickstarter that was only announced the day it launched...

ps3ud0 8)

Vena

Hardware isn't selling great, even though it seems like it's always on sale. Software isn't selling great. I guess Gears will still do well.

Pivoting to be ready for the release of the N(ext)X(box) with Minecraft.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So glad R&C did so well! Hope this means 3D platformers will make a comeback! It's time to see some variety and competition on this category and not just Mario games.

Yea I have been reading the recent 3D platformer threads. Its an interesting topic. I almost posted why no one was mentioning Rayman until I remembered it was about recent 3D platformers.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly the shit really just made it's rounds on forums and twitter. It literally died out after a few days. Even if people have heard of it. I just think there will be slow months these days and we are entering that time right now.
Well yeah, it is slow season.
And hardly anybody has heard yet.

Zackat

Probably this

giphy.gif

Eonjay

Neo Member

Hmmm... well if you listen to their PR, every month they seem to pivot harder to Windows 10 Gaming or Gaming on Windows. They have some more things up their sleeves but I think all reads will lead back to Windows 10

I expected this gen to be extremely front loaded.

People were desperate for a new console and I think less super casuals will get a console even at a low price. No cd/dvd player to lure them and they are satisfied with their phone and tablet games.
Nah, just heading into the slow months.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Hmmm... well if you listen to their PR, every month they seem to pivot harder to Windows 10 Gaming or Gaming on Windows. They have some more things up their sleeves but I think all reads will lead back to Windows 10

Yep, the transition is in full swing.

allan-bh

Dark Souls II sold 308,000 units back in March 2014, but it had an extra week of tracking compared to Dark Souls III although it is worth noting that sales are quite frontloaded for these kind of titles, so 1 extra week won't add too much. Considering this, if I had to make an educated guess I would say that Dark Souls III must have sold around 500,000 - 550,000 units.

I believe 308k is just for standard edition. The leak was about top 10 SKU.

creamsugar said that sold <350k in total.

RexNovis

Banned
I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

You sound upset.

I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Is this a new meme or something ?

If not

Ari-Gold-Get-The-Fuck-Out.thumb.gif.5c84fd928441d95621a85998b322fd7d.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Man, this read like a meme post.

Like dude, why would you need to mention you own all 4 consoles before questioning the success of R&C. lol

Then the whole the 2nd part is just what. Basically, PS4 got no good games with the exception one title, naughty dog better put out something good, then end with PS4 collecting dust. Omg, Dawg.

Then you mention sony should make more stuff like QB and maybe PS4 will sell better, like wtf. Its clear as day bruh, that on the NPD, that Sony gotta make more R&C like titles, man. lol.

It reads like multiple meme posts. I count at least 2.

I am having deja vu with this thread. People need to just remember how slow month april is and how big part of total yearly sales holidays nowadays make. I mean lets say you sell 170k consoles in April instead of 200k you sold year before. During November/December you can make up for that 30k difference by being up YoY for couple of days.

CoG

Maybe if they included the movie with the game, as 22-minute streamable segments?

MS isn't Sony or Nintendo. There may be hand wringing and sweaty palms from Greenberg and other execs in charge of the division, but Nadella and the other bigwigs? Xbox is barely a blip on their radars, and if it is, its only "How do we get those all those Live users to buy Windows 10?"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dear publishers and devs:

The market for $40 games that offer good replay value is there. See: Ratchet and Clank, Captain Toad.

Sony has had a nice going with exclusive software with Uncharted 4, MLB 16 and Ratchet dominating the charts. Well, we certainly anticipate Uncharted 4 charting at spot 1.

Zukkoyaki

I'm sure they aren't too terribly upset.

Probably are planning for the next Xbox to essentially be a Windows 10 Steambox, though.

TheNAC

Banned
MS isn't Sony or Nintendo. There may be hand wringing and sweaty palms from Greenberg and other execs in charge of the division, but Nadella and the other bigwigs? Xbox is barely a blip on their radars, and if it is, its only "How do we get those all those Live users to buy Windows 10?"

That's what I figured with Disney and Disney Infinity but we saw how that turned out.

Rymuth

We know from an insider that they called Xbox One 'a disaster', so there's that. I agree that the full focus from here on out would be how to divert the XBL users unto the W10 ecosystem.

Why do people freak out about chart position every month? Aren't numbers more important? #10 could be very low. I never get this.

Even moreso when about 25% of a games sales (digital) aren't even included.

*Capcom disclosed 26 percent of their games sales are digital* Which is where I"m getting that number from

Apathy

Pretty much. Right now Microsoft is probably leveraging every other department to somehow get their users to use windows 10. The gaming department's role is somehow going to be tied to how to make it so you require windows 10 to play minecraft

Top Bottom