• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

HORRORSHØW;203435517 said:
I don't know. Overwatch is going to be huge.

Yeah, but those three games will still be in the top 10. I don't know if Overwatch can beat Uncharted 4. PC sales are essentially all digital which is not tracked. So Uncharted's exclusivity isn't too much of a problem.

Regiruler

STAR FOX PogChamp

I fucking called it too. I remember somebody saying bravely second would chart over it, WHOS LAUGHING NOW

HORRORSHØW;203435517 said:
I don't know. Overwatch is going to be huge.

I think enough of Overwatch's fanbase will be on PC (and digital as a result) that UC4 will be higher than Overwatch for the purposes of NPD tracking. It also comes out 2 weeks later than UC4 did.

But I did my part for Overwatch on the NPD, I actually preordered a physical copy from Best Buy on PC. I bought a physical PC game in the year 2016, watch out.

Zophar

We know from an insider that they called Xbox One 'a disaster', so there's that. I agree that the full focus from here on out would be how to divert the XBL users unto the W10 ecosystem.

Given the number of disasters MS is oblivious they've presided over, this is really something.

Welfare

What on earth is happening in this thread? This defies reason. I feel like I stepped into the twilight zone.

Welcome to Earth 2, where there are absoletly no numbers to talk about.

Please go back to Earth 1 where all is right and we get top 10 numbers individual numbers and hardware numbers.

sense

While I think they will find someone to do it too, I also feel that the series will slowly be moved to progressively lower sales expectations, and that Naughty Dog will try to once again slowly move to a mix of what their strengths are and where the market is heading.

The switch between platformers to Uncharted was pretty apt, and they got in on that quite early, while making sure to include features that weren't necessarily mandatory at the time, but very useful over time like multiplayer.

You don't feel that the move from Crash/Jak games to Uncharted was the result of the market? I think they were even implying as much while debuting the first game. They tend to be a pretty forward looking studio, as long time successes usually are.
I'm still expecting cinematic and singleplayer in their games, mind, but that's also a statement you can make about Grand Theft Auto V.
It depends on what you think they are moving away from. I agree with crash/jak was a result of the market but uncharted 4 is probably going to be the best selling entry while jak and crash weren't too hot or were on a decline. I don't see a difference between tlou and uncharted per say where at the end of the day they are both similar in what they bring to the table but with different setting, story, characters and type of gameplay. I don't think you will see open world nd game, or episodic or games as a service or multiplayer focused game, or fps or moba etc.. What do you think they might do differently than what they are doing now rather than refine and fine tune the same model but with new ip along the way?
They are adding more avenues to make money through multiplayer and sp dlc which apparently was a huge success with tlou.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But the talk of NEO likely caused some sales to vanish, especially as some of the rumors were credible.

I agree but it doesn't in any way whatsoever negate the usual PR statement. My guess would be a combined Hardware and UC4 statement next week.

allan-bh

Microsoft spent $75 million on Fable Legends, must be spent a lot on QB and for what?

MS has deep pockets but It's time to better manage resources.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It depends on what you think they are moving away from. I agree with crash/jak was a result of the market but uncharted 4 is probably going to be the best selling entry while jak and crash weren't too hot or were on a decline. I don't see a difference between tlou and uncharted per say where at the end of the day they are both similar in what they bring to the table but with different setting, story, characters and type of gameplay. I don't think you will see open world nd game, or episodic or games as a service or multiplayer focused game, or fps or moba etc.. What do you think they might do differently than what they are doing now rather than refine and fine tune the same model but with new ip along the way?

In the short term, I'm expecting a TLOU 2 that looks pretty much like a straightforward cinematic game.

In the medium term, I'm imagining something more like a large hub based game like Deus Ex, where you can still maintain a strong story setup, a bunch of locations, and a variety of cinematic linear missions, but while having more freedom in between, presumably with a new IP.

That probably doesn't look all that different in the end, but I think things like that can actually be a world of difference in the market place in terms of making sure things feel fresh and current. As a new IP, the format change is likely to garner less pushback as well.

I could easily be wrong.

RexNovis

Banned
Welcome to Earth 2, where there are absoletly no numbers to talk about.

Please go back to Earth 1 where all is right and we get top 10 numbers individual numbers and hardware numbers.

Hah! Pretty much. Youd think people would at least wait until we get some numbers to start getting illogically defensive.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Let me do my monthly pray so cream would kindly provide numbers for XenoX, FE: Fates and Pokken.

We got XenoBlade numbers two times in the recents months (December and February), you should wait some months for another update.

FE sold < 450,000 at retail by end of March ( 560,000 including digital).

Would be cool to know some Pokkén numbers though.

Eonjay

Neo Member
Microsoft spent $75 million on Fable Legends, must be spent a lot on QB and for what?

Well, considering that Disney lost $150 million on infinity, it could have been worst for sure. No way QB costed that much to begin with.

Welfare

Well, considering that Disney lost $150 million on infinity, it could have been worst for sure. No way QB costed that much to begin with.

Huge emphasis on the TV aspect and probably 4 years of dev time? Fable Legends $75m is probably a good estimate for how much MS spent on QB plus marketing.

ps3ud0

So R&C doing well (at a guess, from what Cosmic said earlier, upto 200kish) is that something that would inspire publishers to back some 3D 'platformers' - really hoping we can see a few more of these more budget/AA titles popping up

ps3ud0 8)

Im starting to feel bad for Scalebound because I cannot see a future in which that game would not crash and burn.

At least with the push from MS to have all their first party games on PC in the future, it should at least see some success on PC where there is a fanbase for that kind of game. But Japanese Action RPG, developed by Platinum, Exclusive to Xbox One always seemed like Sales Failure Bingo to me.

RexNovis

Banned

With the addition of well known actors to the cast and the extended dev time the budget for QB had to be absolutely massive. The chances of them making a profit with the game at this point are basically nill.

M.D

While I think they will find someone to do it too, I also feel that the series will slowly be moved to progressively lower sales expectations, and that Naughty Dog will try to once again slowly move to a mix of what their strengths are and where the market is heading.

The switch between platformers to Uncharted was pretty apt, and they got in on that quite early, while making sure to include features that weren't necessarily mandatory at the time, but very useful over time like multiplayer.

You don't feel that the move from Crash/Jak games to Uncharted was the result of the market? I think they were even implying as much while debuting the first game. They tend to be a pretty forward looking studio, as long time successes usually are.

I'm still expecting cinematic and singleplayer in their games, mind, but that's also a statement you can make about Grand Theft Auto V.
I'm looking at Sony's studios and independent ones as well, and I'm not sure there's one that will be able to make an Uncharte game.

At least with the push from MS to have all their first party games on PC in the future, it should at least see some success on PC where there is a fanbase for that kind of game. But Japanese Action RPG, developed by Platinum, Exclusive to Xbox One always seemed like Sales Failure Bingo to me.

It will be UWP windows store 10 exclusive on pc. What success are we talking about ?

Rymuth

With the addition of well known actors to the cast and the extended dev time the budget for QB had to be absolutely massive. The chances of them making a profit with the game at this point are basically nill.
To quote Cosmic, "With these opening sales they've been able to recoup the costs of 5 minutes of one of the live action segments!"

I just hope this doesn't sink Remedy. I mean yes luckily they are not first party studio but after this kind of bomb it could be hard to get new contracts (especially as Alan Wake didn't set the world on fire either and how short single player games are dying).

Top Bottom