• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Schryver

1YjKQXX.gif

omg. the original version of this is my favorite gif ever. amazing

I'm confused, are we saying we shouldn't expect it to ever turn around?

Is it unreasonable to think as they've patched it more people might buy and it will make an appearance?

Or is word of mouth that bad?
Someone asks where sfv is every NPD its a salesgaf meme at this point to flip a table

Boke1879

Honestly I'm not sure there was much room for it to do better. Almost no one makes this style of game anymore.

Even Naughty Dog is moving off Uncharted and at least that has a long supported multiplayer component on top of the series being the king of the cinematic shooter genre.

Yea we'll no doubt get TLOU2, but I can even see ND moving on to something a bit different in the future.

Raziel

Microsoft PR

"I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/ I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months. Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)"

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/730892845402349568

AdanVC

So glad R&C did so well! Hope this means 3D platformers will make a comeback! It's time to see some variety and competition on this category and not just Mario games.

I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Quoting because this is as awesome as the "Square just shoot themselves on the foot" post.

Krakn3Dfx

Great Result for quantum break, not easy to chart as a full price Xbox one exclusive. Awesome Game and ready for the sequel.

Couldn't be done without record breaking Global Engagement.

CiSt9Q4UoAAVZ1n.jpg

Dark Souls 3 coming in big at #1, saw it coming, but damn. Talk about a franchise that has become a video gaming phenomenon.

Great Result for quantum break, not easy to chart as a full price Xbox one exclusive. Awesome Game and ready for the sequel.
Why people saying QB bombed. It came in at 7 on a smaller install base as a new IP.
That's some fantastic goal post adjusting! 4 different excuses! Its SKU placed behind 3 PS4 titles, including 2 PS exclusives, 2 full price, and on an install base only like 10% larger.

Hoje0308

Banned
I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Keep trying, Hard.

Maybe Sony are silent because they are going to make a statement on Uncharted 4 sales and combine the NPD info into that, would maybe explain the reason for no NPD statement, I guess we shall find out in the next few days.

If MS is down YOY with a price cut and trade in deal there there's no hope for MS being able to outsell the PS4 without going well under in price.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Honestly I'm not sure there was much room for it to do better. Almost no one makes this style of game anymore.

Even Naughty Dog is moving off Uncharted and at least that has a long supported multiplayer component on top of the series being the king of the cinematic shooter genre.

Sony will probably keep making Uncharted games tho, actually contracting Remedy for the next one wouldn't be that crazy tbh.

1. What's the 4th home console?

2. You complain R&C sold well but doesn't even have an open world. Quantum Break doesn't either.... So....

3. The game came out before the movie, so the movie wouldn't impact sales

4. Maybe you should dust off the PS4 to play Uncharted 4. It's out, you no longer have to hope it's something good.

5. Quantum Break was outsold by a furbait, zootopia game IYO, so how does copying a lower selling game increase your sales when you have a higher selling game? Speaking of which

6. Why do you even care what Sony sells? Unless....

Its driving me nuts the amount of revisionist history is going on with QB right now. It was part of the greatest lineup in Xbox history, been around since the Xbox reveal, touted at almost every game show,has a bundle a TV show and had a pretty big marketing campaign...come on people

Mikey Jr.

They are a business and Ratchet probably sold/selling better than all their other recent games so do they have a choice?

Yeah, don't shit them out.

They were pumping them out 1 a year for fuck sakes. Make people excited for Ratchet 2. Don't get on stage at e3 2017 and be like "Here's Ratchet again! He has a new gun and here's a new planet. Thats all. Available this fall"

I really don't want Ratchet to fall into the same pitfall that soured me on the franchise to begin with. Where every iteration just felt like the same thing again.

Yeah, new guns and new planets. new guns and new planets. new guns and new planets. new guns and new planets..........................................

I'd love the gameplay to evolve somehow. Maybe make it open world?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And like that, a new GAF meme was born.

NPD threads are some of the best threads...

Its pretty amazing what Ratchet and Clank did in comparison with a week less of charting, at least when you look at the exclusives this month. And one of PlayStation's best exclusives, MLB The Show, continues its at least 2 month chart every year. Its always funny how quick that game gets forgotten in list wars.

A post still sticks in my mind where someone said The Show wasnt gonna do good some month it launched. That and GTA 5 for current gen.

The Show is a niche game they said. And GTA 5 ...ppl were already going to be tired of playing it, done playing it to get it for current gen.

Anyone who owns 5 home consoles to offer an unbiased opinion?

I will get back to you in a few months....I'm also waiting on the Neo so I can be even more unbiased.

If MS is down YOY with a price cut and trade in deal there there's no hope for MS being able to outsell the PS4 without going well under in price.

MS pretty much has to be down YoY, probably by a decent chunk. It actually won last April and from the looks of things Sony can't have done any better than flat.

Quantum Break bombed as expected. I eagerly await Microsoft next AAA bomb.

The only question is, "will ReCore make it in time to be the next?"

Deadbeat

Banned
Quantum Break bombed as expected. I eagerly await Microsoft next AAA bomb.

The only question is, "will ReCore make it in time to be the next?"
I wonder how broken the PC version of ReCore will be on release. If theres one thing MS has been doing right with the win 10 store is providing entertainment.

Bruno MB

Careful with that "adjusted for days in market" thing. They just take a daily sales average, and do not account for decay rate.

Thank you for your insight, it was very helpful.

Dark Souls II daily sales average ~ 11,850.

Dark Souls III (19 days of tracking) - 225,150 * 2 = 450,300

The PR statement says that nearly doubled Dark Souls II, so it should be a bit less.

Dragun619

Man, this read like a meme post.

Like dude, why would you need to mention you own all 4 consoles before questioning the success of R&C. lol

Then the whole the 2nd part is just what. Basically, PS4 got no good games with the exception one title, naughty dog better put out something good, then end with PS4 collecting dust. Omg, Dawg.

Then you mention sony should make more stuff like QB and maybe PS4 will sell better, like wtf. Its clear as day bruh, that on the NPD, that Sony gotta make more R&C like titles, man. lol.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That's some fantastic goal post adjusting! 4 different excuses! Its SKU placed behind 3 PS4 titles, including 2 PS exclusives, 2 full price, and on an install base only like 10% larger.

Who is moving goal posts?

Without numbers, I didn't think Top 10 in NPD was bad as a single SKU?

I expected this gen to be extremely front loaded.

People were desperate for a new console and I think less super casuals will get a console even at a low price. No cd/dvd player to lure them and they are satisfied with their phone and tablet games.

Top Bottom