• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2016 [Sony, MS, & Nintendo refuse to comment on hardware]

Floody

Alan Wake got "decent legs" by releasing on the PC through all the various digital retail outlets. Quantum Break is a Windows Store exclusive and uses the near-universally panned UWP format. Quantum Break simply will not have the legs that Alan Wake did, at least not on the PC.

I know, it's more me just wishful thinking more than expecting, just hope Remedy can survive it. I'd imagine MS took the fast majority of the hit, but having big expensive bombs is never a good thing, especially not for an independent studio.

SRTtoZ

I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Wait. Is this TheKayle???

You're right but I'm talking about the general vibe I get from this thread, like QB was an obvious flop, don't remember anyone skeptic about its chance of success before release.

I predicted around 30k for UK before the release and said I don't think the game will do all that well, jarring live elements etc. Also said US sales will probably be 140-190k so we'll see on that.

We know now though it's just a bonus it charted and was a passion project all along, hush hush like, on the downlow game.

Loudninja

Some UC4 stuff from Abdiel:
My prediction is that quantum break falls like a rock. It's sank so fast in our stores to join the ranks of largely forgotten titles. Oy. No momentum at all.

Uncharted verily exploded though. Very positive so far. Our Sony rep is ecstatic. Exceptional results in the word of mouth and the reception around the game, but we'll see if it holds up for any length of time. It is a slow time of year, so maybe that will help give it staying power.

giphy.gif

Congrats! Love to see that the game has done so well =D

I own all 4 home consoles, and I have no idea why Ratchet & Clank sold so well. This game is a furbait nostalgia title to get the zootopia and ps2 crowd, doesn't even have open world. Why would sell better than Quantum Break? Time powers are crazy!! And the movie was garbage, but game still sells? Wut? :^/

I dunno why people are saying greatness awaits tbh...none of the titles have been that great except for Bloodborne but hopefully UC4 can prove me wrong, Naughty Doges better put out something good, I use my XB1 for multis and my PS4 has been collecting dust for months

Still at least MLB is a great game and Sony should make more stuff like taht and more stuff like quantum break, maybe they can get people to buy their console it would sell like bonkers even better than the Wii if they just put out some games for it!!! But still grats sony game still sells well gj :^)

Sometimes, I hate poe's law.

Damnit people are hungry for platformers if they are getting PS2 era numbers, hopefully more developers will take notice.
Yeah, they just need to be handled properly in terms of price, budget, etc...

Give Spyro, Crash, Ape Escape, etc... the R&C treatment and I think there is money to be made. I know I would be throwing my money if it happened. :p

Let's just say that I was working at Dambuster Studios, I'd be spending a serious amount of time working on my resume.
Oh dear...

MilkBeard

I don't care what Hidetaka Miyazaki says there will definitely be another Dark Souls.
Lol if they want that money. I mean, a From Software game charting #1 in the US? This is pretty crazy times.

I suspect after a new IP or two they will release another. I said in another thread that they should release one more Souls game in a few years that is feature rich, and continuously update it every year and focus heavily on the online side.

crinale

On the other hand, Watch Dogs, Titanfall, Destiny, and The Division were all massive successes

You can add Splatoon and probably Overwatch as well.

..and it gives me an illusion that in order to make a new IP successful shooter is the way to go..
(Not that being a shooter guarantees a success.)

Alrus

Evolve, Sunset Overdrive, The Order 1886, Battleborn etc etc

The new IP failures far outweigh the new IP success stories.

What's etc etc? Because that isn't a lot.

This gen saw Watchdogs, Destiny, The Division, Splatoon, Titanfall, Bravely Default etc etc as massive successes.

The new Ip successes far outweigh the new IP failures.

Vibranium

Banned
Ratchet and Clank baby! Since there probably won't be another movie it's time for Insomniac to go all-out with a sequel and hopefully we see some more classic characters and bigger cutscenes.

Congrats James and Insomniac, awesome game.

Boke1879

Understandable, though, since the headline hasn't changed yet.

Technically they are still mum on it, I'd like some PR before the end of the night.

Someone mentioned that Sony might want to add in UC4 PR as well so we may not get PR until next week.

watdaeff4

Add to Splatoon to that as well. Bloodborne as well, but I know many don't consider that a "new" IP.

I love Bloodborne, it's my favorite game in a long time, but is it really a "massive" success?

I mean I may know why you are stating that, but last we saw it did 2million+ or are there updated numbers?

Eh lets wait for total sales for Battleborn.

Sadly, all indications from Steamspy and the Week 1 UK charts indicate Battleborn is basically DoA. On the combined SKU charts it was #1, but only by about 100 units over BLOPS III and had less than 18k sales in total. On the single SKU charts, PS4 Battleborn was #3 behind Ratchet and Clank and PS4 BLOPS, with XBO Battleborn at 4th. That's worse than games like The Order and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

The game was straight up killed under the Overwatch hype train.

RexNovis

Banned
I feel the impression is more often than not every generation more new IPs fail than succeed - I dont think thats particular to this generation other than the pure lack of the number of new IPs full stop.

I also think it skews the results if we only talk about AAA new IPs

ps3ud0 8)

Yep fewer new ips make the failures that much more painful to watch.

RexNovis

Banned
Why are hardware sales down by so much? Did new console rumours hurt the sales?

Nah handhelds and and last gen are way down and its also revenue so since both of the major next gen consoles are priced lower than they were this time last year that would also contribute as well.

Top Bottom