• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

SpecX

PS3 looks solid. Not growing, but not falling. What happened to the Wii? Huge drop for Nintendo there, but they have the DS to make up for it.

U2NUMB

thcsquad said:
4. How the fuck is MW2 still on the list?

Same as last month.. I guess a number of these 360 Slims are going to brand new owners who seem to pick up the go to game with their system.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
SapientWolf said:
Where is that guy who makes the medieval gaming comics? Because I think Nintendo just got dethroned.

Nintendo gets a significantly larger bump during the holiday periods than the other guys. Nobody's been dethroned.

Let our powers
threads
combine.

50% increase for PS3 Madden, nothing else really sticks out other than K&L bombing in America again. Euro sales probably picked it up a bit.

360 will pass Wii YTD next month or in October at this rate.

...the PS3 and 360 might both outsell the Wii in September if it keeps slowing down.

farnham

Banned
Nintendo is fucked this year :lol :lol

In Japan PS3 will overtake wii and in NA 360 will overtake wii. At least in NA they still have one game to rely on.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
...the PS3 and 360 might both outsell the Wii in September if it keeps slowing down.
they only have other m for this month right ? oh nintendo

Parham

Banned
Games released in August that didn't chart:
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days (14 days)
Metroid: Other M (1 day)

Edit: My mistake. NPD tracked up to the 28th of August.

I was turned off by Mafia II since it wasn't actually an open sandbox game afterall. I'm guessing it was the same for others as well. Demo didn't really impress me either.

Fuck, aside from Madden, amazed at how poor software is.

Halo Reach is going to be HUGE next (this) month. I don't think there's anything else of note next month is there?

V_Ben

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Halo Reach is going to be HUGE next month. I don't think there's anything else of note next month is there?

...Move :lol

ZealousD

azentium said:

Are we even certain that Metroid was being counted this run? I know the NPD operates these monthly charts based on weeks, not days.

[Nintex]

ZealousD said:
Nintendo gets a significantly larger bump during the holiday periods than the other guys. Nobody's been dethroned.
Don is gonna ride that new box all the way to the heavens this holiday season and pick up Kinect along the way.

Parham

Banned
ZealousD said:
Are we even certain that Metroid was being counted this run? I know the NPD operates these monthly charts based on weeks, not days.
No, it wasn't. My mistake.

Edit:
The Faceless Master said:
NPD reporting period for August was August 1-August 28

the reporting periods are always 4 or 5 weeks starting on sunday and ending on saturday, other m is in the september 5 week reporting period. the OP even mentions the dates the sales chart covers!

I understand. I made an edit as soon as I posted; however, it appears I wasn't fast enough. :lol

Dabanton

eternaLightness said:
I was turned off by Mafia II since it wasn't actually an open sandbox game afterall. I'm guessing it was the same for others as well. Demo didn't really impress me either.

Yep that' what turned a lot of my friends off of purchasing it.

Shame really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ZealousD said:
Ok, fair enough. Nintendo has been knocked off its horse. The comic pretty much writes itself.

FrankT

Hardware sales dropped 5%, while software sales dropped 14%.

Not good. Wii dropped YoY a little over 30k I think. Wii may have a serious HW issue this fall without another price drop, but then again it has always come through during the holidays.

Should be 178k difference between Wii and 360 YTD. Could happen in September maybe. I'll bump my base prediction to at least 450k for Sept for 360.

PS3 Madden jump is impressive. With no new HW out this month like last year that 491k will make this month look bad in comparison.

Lunchbox said:
wow, thats 2 months in a row outselling the wii and still halo to come

they should've launched the slim earlier

Last 3 and 4 out of the 8 for the year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Madden did fine but other then that, this was an incredibly weak month for software. Mafia has got to be a huge disappointment. Hardware sales are a little healthier, but still pretty shitty.

antonz

ZealousD said:
Metroid falls entirely in the September NPD period. Based on softwar enumbers this month short of everything suddenly selling alot better its all but guaranteed a top 10 spot.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Halo Reach is going to be HUGE next (this) month. I don't think there's anything else of note next month is there?

No competition for Halo, but we'll also have Other M, FIFA, the Move launch games and Dead Rising 2 in the mix.

Oh yeah and Guitar Hero. We'll get to see how far the franchise has fallen!

[Nintex]

Stumpokapow said:
Madden did fine but other then that, this was an incredibly weak month for software. Mafia has got to be a huge disappointment. Hardware sales are a little healthier, but still pretty shitty.
It's all sinking and I sure hope for publishers and platform holders that sequel fatigue won't kick in this holiday season.

azentium said:
NPD reporting period for August was August 1-August 28

the reporting periods are always 4 or 5 weeks starting on sunday and ending on saturday, other m is in the september 5 week reporting period. the OP even mentions the dates the sales chart covers!

Mafro

farnham said:
Nintendo is fucked this year :lol :lol

In Japan PS3 will overtake wii and in NA 360 will overtake wii. At least in NA they still have one game to rely on.
All it'll take is a little price cut for Wii, and normal service will be resumed.

mboojigga

Lunchbox said:
wow, thats 2 months in a row outselling the wii and still halo to come

they should've launched the slim earlier

Actually it is 3 months for the Wii and 2 months for the DS.

ZealousD

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Halo Reach is going to be HUGE next month. I don't think there's anything else of note next month is there?

Metroid Other M
Dead Rising 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
FIFA 11
RUSE
HAWX 2

Snuggler said:
No competition for Halo, but we'll also have Other M, FIFA, the Move launch games and Dead Rising 2 in the mix.

As I said, significant.

The only game that could take a chunk out of Halo would have been CoD, and that will own November, so basically anyone releasing this month is being sent to die.

October should be the go to month for others to duke it out.

farnham

Banned
Boney said:
I hope you mean for the year.
yeah YTD i meant of course

LTD is still nearly double score

Mafro said:
All it'll take is a little price cut for Wii, and normal service will be resumed.
they at least need the 150 sku with Wii sports Resort not included

[Nintex]

Mafro said:
I'd say a $150 Wii would be checkmate but DKC:R would also have to be a hit in order for the price cut to have the best effect. It might be smart if Nintendo pulled Wii Relax out of their hat for the holiday season but that's not how they roll.

Top Bottom