• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2010

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
ZealousD said:
Metroid Other M (maybe?)
Dead Rising 2
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock
Spider-man Shattered Dimensions
FIFA 11
RUSE
HAWX 2

Which of those do you think are going to hit the top 10?

EagleEyes

Advertising only the PS3 version of Madden paid off for EA this year. My friend even called me last month wondering if he was gonna have to buy a PS3 to play Madden this year.

Stumpokapow said:
Madden did fine but other then that, this was an incredibly weak month for software. Mafia has got to be a huge disappointment. Hardware sales are a little healthier, but still pretty shitty.

With the 360 1600pt card being the #1 peripheral month in and month out, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the retail sales alone aren't fully representative of the console environment any longer.

For example, Limbo, at $15, sold about 3x as many copies as Mafia 2 (on 360).

Limbo, a 2D platformer.

Summer of Arcade titles, PSN titles, DSiware, and Wiiware had to have sucked up some of the money people normally spend on games.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I said significant.
Tangentially related, I played Move a while back and I ended up canceling my Reach pre-order but I kept my Move one. I typically buy at least 2 360 games a month but I don't think I've played a single retail game on my PS3 all year other than Full Auto 2.

farnham

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I'd say a $150 Wii would be checkmate but DKC:R would also have to be a hit in order for the price cut to have the best effect. It might be smart if Nintendo pulled Wii Relax out of their hat for the holiday season but that's not how they roll.
this would be the savior for this holiday season

DK or Kirby are not enough imo

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jetjevons said:

Dead Rising 2, FIFA 11, Metroid Other M, Kingdom Hearts PSP

In that order.

Oneself said:
Err no.

It's been released on August 24th or something.. :lol

and NPD reporting period was August 1st to August 28...

Do you really expect this game to have strong legs, though? We're not really talking about a franchise with a lot of mainstream appeal here.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
jetjevons said:

Guitar Hero is still a guarantee for a top 10 spot. But I expect it to sell even less this year, no reason to expect the decline to stop.

EagleEyes

Sho_Nuff82 said:
With the 360 1600pt card being the #1 peripheral month in and month out, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the retail sales alone aren't fully representative of the console environment any longer.

Limbo, a 2D platformer.

Summer of Arcade titles, PSN titles, DSiware, and Wiiware had to have sucked up some of the money people normally spend on games.
You are correct sir. People can no longer overlook the digital downloads anymore.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
wizword said:
Who is buying these xbox 360s? The software sales does not match hw sales at all.

At this point in the generation, people buy consoles for the entire portfolio of games released, not just new releases.

Mafro said:
All it'll take is a little price cut for Wii, and normal service will be resumed.

A price cut would do nothing. What the Wii needs is new software (and it's gonna get it in the form of a Kirby, DKC and Wii Party Trio)

I do reckon that DKC is gonna be a huge hit (assuming that NOA market the game properly) as well as Wii Party (which is as close to a sure thing as can be). Kirby will also do well, but not as well as the other two, while Other M will sell in line with the Prime series (as it has done in Japan and the UK so far)

Just Dance 2 and Goldeneye will probably pull in respectable numbers as well (but probably not spectacular)

The dark horse of the Wii's lineup really is Epic Mickey. Could be huge, or just merely a good seller - hard to tell at this stage but it's got potential!

Gravijah

EagleEyes said:
You are correct sir. People can no longer overlook the digital downloads anymore.

They should put these so called "digital" downloads onto discs and sell them in stores. Think of all the money they could make!

rosjos44

Road said:
Year-to-date (million units):

NDS - 3.81
WII - 2.95
360 - 2.73
PS3 - 2.03
PSP - 0.76

I'm sure by the end Wii and DS will be over 4 million.

35 million Wii's sold by year end in the states. 40 million this time next year. I bet Nintendo is freaking loving this success.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Snuggler said:
Guitar Hero is still a guarantee for a top 10 spot. But I expect it to sell even less this year, no reason to expect the decline to stop.

Didn't GH5 barely make it into the top ten last time around? I have doubts about it hitting the top ten this year.

teh_pwn said:
At this point in the generation, people buy consoles for the entire portfolio of games released, not just new releases.

Yeah they just borrow their friends' games, they don't have to buy anything.

Ridley327

jetjevons said:
If the reception of Case Zero is anything to go by, I think that DR2 on the 360 is a safe bet for a top 10 appearance.

I'm surprised so many people are forgetting about Wii Party in October. The Wii's sales are going to be absolutely fine this holiday season.

Mafro

[Nintex] said:
I'd say a $150 Wii would be checkmate but DKC:R would also have to be a hit in order for the price cut to have the best effect. It might be smart if Nintendo pulled Wii Relax out of their hat for the holiday season but that's not how they roll.
They'd be stupid not to have a DKC:R bundle and advertise it in the same way as NSMBWii.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sorry if the full comments have already been posted.
Anita Frazier said:
Overall

"New physical retail sales of hardware, content and accessories saw another decline in August as compared to last year. In fact, this month reflected the lowest sales for August since 2006. While all categories are down in both dollars and units, the portable portion of the industry is down to a greater extent than is the console portion. Portable dollar sales across hardware, software and accessories is down 25% versus last August, while console dollar sales are down 6%."

"Factoring in seasonality and taking into account some of the incredible games and accessories (e.g., Move and Kinect) that are coming out during the remainder of the year, new physical retail video game sales are likely to land in the range of $18.6 to $20 billion for the year."

"The 360 and PS3 platforms both grew in dollar sales versus last year. In fact, the 360 platform contributed more than 1/3 of total new physical retail sales across hardware, software and accessories while the PS3 platform contributed over 1/4 of total dollar sales."

"Our monthly sales reporting reflects the new physical retail sales portion of industry sales. Sales resulting from used games, digital downloads and downloadable content, rentals, subscriptions, mobile games, and social network in addition to retail point-of-sale data will be reported on later this year."

"One area outside of retail point-of-sale that many people are interested in is the arena of social network gaming. Our recent report on this topic shows that nearly 57 million people in the U.S. have played a game on a social network in the past three months, and of those, 10% have spent real money of their own on buying virtual currency or goods for their game."

Hardware

"The Xbox 360 was the top-selling hardware system for the second consecutive month, and the top-selling console system for the third consecutive month. While the system achieved significant year-over-year gains, sales softened versus what occurred in July. That said, with Halo: Reach coming to market next week, if hardware sales react in a similar fashion to what was experienced when Halo 3 was launched in September 2007, September could be a huge sales month for Xbox 360 hardware."

"The PS3 was the only current generation hardware system that realized a sales increase over July. The PS3 has now enjoyed 13 consecutive months of year-over year hardware sales increases and that momentum is reflected in the content and accessories categories as well."

"The Wii realized its lowest month since launch in hardware unit sales. With games like Wii Party or Disney Guilty Party which are fun family-oriented games that have worked so well for the Wii platform, we'll see hardware unit sales increase."

Software (New Physical Retail Sales)

"Madden NFL '11 once again made August "Madden Month" at retail. The title was the best-selling game for the month combining sales of the five platforms it was released on, and bested the second best-selling game by a significant margin. Sales of this year's game were about 6% higher than last year's in its debut month, but interestingly, all of the gains occurred on the PS3 platform, reflecting the impact of the hardware sales momentum on corresponding software sales."

"LEGO Harry Potter maintained a spot in the top 5 games of the month (for the third consecutive month). With the new movie coming out in November and the approaching holidays, this is the type of game that could continue to see strong sales at least through the end of the year."

"Last August, we didn't see as big of a sales gap between the first and second best-selling games. After Madden NFL '10 last year, we had both Wii Sports Resort, and Batman Arkham Asylum, which both sold over 500K units in August 2009. This year the top 10 games sold 3.3 million units as opposed to 4.1 million for the top 10 last year."

"Looking forward, Halo: Reach releases on 9/14 and will kick off the mega-title releases for the remainder of the year. The 360 install base is now about triple what it was when Halo 3 was launched so the potential audience for Reach is significantly larger. Between the size of the potential audience, the quality of the game previews, and the hefty marketing program behind the game, we can expect big numbers to be reported with September results."

"With over 300K units sold at retail in August, Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty (PC) would be the second best-selling game for the month if we were reporting on total entertainment software sales. In fact, PC games retail dollar sales saw a 35% increase over last August."

Sony PR
Sony PR said:
NPD: August 2010

Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 hardware sold 226,000 units in the month of August 2010.
- PS3 hardware also saw the highest growth "year to date" in August with 40% growth (Jan-Aug 2009 vs Jan - Aug 2010)
- PS3 hardware sales continue to increase year over year at 8% since last August
- August 2010 marks the 13th month of consecutive growth for the PS3 platform
- There are 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. to date
- Two PS3 games ranked in the top ten software skus for the month, including Madden NFL 11 and Mafia II

SCEA Statement
When PlayStation first emerged on the gaming scene 15 years ago, it garnered immediate attention for breaking the standard model of cartridge-based video gaming with a disc-based model and robust three-dimensional game play, helping to drive the transformation of a $2B dollar a year industry into a more than $20B industry, annually. Fast forward fifteen years and PlayStation continues to push the envelope of innovation with the industry's biggest franchises and new technologies like PlayStation Move and 3D stereoscopic gaming. August marks our 13th consecutive month of year-over-year growth for the PS3, supporting our ongoing momentum and further preparing us to officially kick off the key selling season next week with PlayStation Move. .” – Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
PS3 Madden is pretty impressive. Given all the growth the platform had in the past 12 months it kinda makes sense though.

360 Madden has been almost flat for a few years now hasn't it?

360 Slim actually looks to be having as big of an impact as the PS3 slim did.. but without the price cut.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Interesting that NPD feels Disney Guilty Party will do well. That's not the perception I get, but it's a fun game and really hits all four quadrants.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Limbo, a 2D platformer.

Sure, and multiplayer map packs. But how the uncounted things stack up against the countable losses is unknown. We can assume that the greater the monthly sales figures diverge from reality, the greater the push to realign things to reflect reality better. Hopefully we end up with a digital download chart some time.

antonz

rosjos44 said:
I'm sure by the end Wii and DS will be over 4 million.

35 million Wii's sold by year end in the states. 40 million this time next year. I bet Nintendo is freaking loving this success.

DS will easily pass 5 million+ if the 3DS isnt launched. Wii could close in on 5 million if they have any kind of success like last year.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Also, adding in another post because I don't want it to get missed. This was at the bottom of NPD's spreadsheet. It's new language, I believe.
Software includes sales of new physical games sold at retail; does not include revenue from used, digital downloads, dlc, rental, subscription, mobile or social network games.
NPD will report on the total market, including these other forms of revenue, on a quarterly basis in the near future.
My emphasis.

EagleEyes said:

They'll be ignored until the day when everybody actually releases their numbers. Right now only Microsoft does...but still unofficially? It's not really the NPD's job to investigate. Though I do agree that they shouldn't be ignored as the Limbo example pretty much solidifies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ZealousD said:
Didn't GH5 barely make it into the top ten last time around? I have doubts about it hitting the top ten this year.

Yeah, looks like it was number 9 with 210.8K sold. I remembered it doing better than that, but hey maybe it won't make the top 10. In this case I will be glad to be wrong.

Road

jvm said:
Also, adding in another post because I don't want it to get missed. This was at the bottom of NPD's spreadsheet. It's new language, I believe.
My emphasis.
I'll just pretend this means regular monthlies PR + additional quarterly whole market PR.

Top Bottom