• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Nameless

MobiusPigeon said:
i think this is the most civil/quiet npd thread i've ever seen. :lol

Its quiet, because so many here have a mouth full of....

crow.jpg

Especially after this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137127
you could tell certain posters ciricled this day as a day of victory, a day to bask in the glory of their chosen side.. And in quick click of a mouse, their hopes and dreams were shattered..

So much shit has been talked the past few weeks, then some posters just can't say anything right now, and I don't blame them..

sp0rsk said:
All the companies did well overall, but that isn't the issue here. The issue is with the next gen numbers. Someone at Nintendo ****ed up bigtime with distribution and Sony just isn't selling as much PS3's as everyone thought.

Double standard much??

99.9% of PS3's were sold and 100% of Wii's were sold, but somehow the Wii's number is excusable by shortages buy Sony's isn't?

I'm not saying that the Wii demand isn't stronger. It obviously is, but when you have them sold out, all you have are shipment numbers on both sides.

Weird month. I wish I could have participated more, but tonight was a mess. I'll post some more numbers tomorrow and we'll have some fun.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
sonycowboy said:
Double standard much??

99.9% of PS3's were sold and 100% of Wii's were sold, but somehow the Wii's number is excusable by shortages buy Sony's isn't?

I'm not saying that the Wii demand isn't stronger. It obviously is, but when you have them sold out, all you have are shipment numbers on both sides.

Weird month. I wish I could have participated more, but tonight was a mess. I'll post some more numbers tomorrow and we'll have some fun.

Do you have data to back that up?

Mar

Holy crap at the Wii numbers. What the hell happened? Nintendo must be kicking themselves that they didn't have the units out there to sell. Because they were seriously riding on a massive wave of hype and demand. Shocking.

The only thing I can think of is that with it being a real world wide release, they are spreading themselves thin across all territories. But over all sales will be quite good? Who knows. But there's no doubt they missed selling an arse load in America this holiday season.

Awesome sales for 360 and Gears. Fully deserved.

Once again the DS pulls through with top numbers. Imagine how many of those little bastards have sold around the world this holiday season.

seanoff

I'm actually surprised that Sony managed to ship and sell close to 500,000 consoles in a month for the PS3. Thats pretty good going with new tech esp given the doom surrounding the blue diodes.

Also are Sony front loading the channel so that they can switch the lines for Euro launch PS3s?

For "dead" (GAF) systems the GBA and PSP seem to be selling extremely well. One wonders what people do with the PSP because it doesn't seem to show on the SW sales.

Nintendo should really have been able to get more stuff (Wiis) into the channel. Their tech is not anywhere near as cutting edge as the other 2. Or are they paying the price for the fabled WW launch?

I would be holding off on declaring any sort of winner until at least this time next year at least.

Those Wii and PS3 shortages are painful. Awesome figures for the DS, PS2 and 360. The PSP and GBA sold well, although they slumped from last year.

speculawyer said:
So . . .

Japan = Wii > PS3 > x360

I think USA may be decided too . . .

USA = x360 > Wii > PS3

But what will happen in Europe? PS3 hasn't even launched there yet.

Decided ?? :lol :lol :lol

I do believe it's possible that the PS3 could be in 3rd place in the US and 2nd in Japan, but it's beyond ludicrous to say that it may be decided.

Wow.

After 13 months on the market, the 360 is @ 4.5M units which puts it still behind the original Xbox and far behind the PS2. The Wii will likely sell a good bit more than that and who the hell knows about the PS3. The pricing makes it hard to predict because you don't know what Sony can afford / is willing to do.

The 360 may just be starting to hit it's stride, but 1M units is what a competative system is ~supposed to do in December, so while it could have done worse and it's still @ $400, I still don't know if it's broken out yet. But given the other guys missteps, they're still in excellent position.

Chiggs

seanoff said:
I'm actually surprised that Sony managed to ship and sell close to 500,000 consoles in a month for the PS3. Thats pretty good going with new tech esp given the doom surrounding the blue diodes.

It's amazing what happens when you have guns trained at your underage workers.

Solsc

Kind of upset about the Wii and DS numbers (not because they were bad but because I thought they would have sold (shipped) more.
On the other hand the PSP, 360 and PS2 all pasted my expectations.

PS3 No Commemt :lol

Flo_Evans

It will be interesting to see how many wiis nintendo can make this month. They should use some of their insane profits to buy a new factory or something.

909er

So the next question is, will Wii and PS3 come off a supply constrained holiday and make it up in January, as some predicted (and kept predicting) for the 360?

Personally I think undershipping in the holiday season is not something you can make up, no matter the demand. People just don't buy like they do during the holidays at other times, but I guess we'll see.

DenogginizerOS said:
Do you have data to back that up?

Are you serious? Are you telling me that there was significant stock on shelves Dec 30th, even though thousands of folks lined up at Best Buy's across the country the next morning? I know that there were pockets of availability, but the percentage of available units was trivial.

If you'd like to contend that units were plentiful that day, perhaps you have some data to back that up, because I personally never saw evidence to support such a claim even here at GAF where we had quite a few folks just waiting with to take pictures of available units.

A minor point in the scheme of things and given the availability of PS3's now, it's certainly a reasonable conversation to be had, but in December they essentially sold all they could (IMO)

JoDark

MS Viral Marketing
What I really want to see is the 1-10 sales for each platform. Even if it's without titles. The most intesting metric imo has always been software volume fall off.

I have to believe that both Wii and PS3 5th - 10th sellers basically bomba.

3rd parties are in need of huge sellers (Madden did OK:))... but what about Elebits? Or the Wii GT game? Rampage.

Genji? Comeon, you know you want to point and snicker!

BuddyC

sonycowboy said:
Are you serious? Are you telling me that there was significant stock on shelves Dec 30th, even though thousands of folks lined up at Best Buy's across the country the next morning? I know that there were pockets of availability, but the percentage of available units was trivial.

If you'd like to contend that units were plentiful that day, perhaps you have some data to back that up, because I personally never saw evidence to support such a claim even here at GAF where we had quite a few folks just waiting with to take pictures of available units.

A minor point in the scheme of things and given the availability of PS3's now, it's certainly a reasonable conversation to be had, but in December they essentially sold all they could (IMO)
Considering how you're our #1 number guy, yes, he's serious. Unless otherwise stated, people expect the figures you provide to be accurate, be they NPD related or not.

VALIS

An NPD thread with no photoshops? For shame.

My meager contribution, an artist's rendering from Peter Moore's office about 2 hours ago:

npd-12-06.PNG

DenogginizerOS

sonycowboy said:

As of 8PM tonight, my Best Buy had 2 systems left from the large shipment they received on December 30th. I think they had 36. Lets say 40. What percentage is 38/40? 95%. Not 99.9%. (Store #158. Winston-Salem, NC). Need more?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
sonycowboy said:
After 13 months on the market, the 360 is @ 4.5M units which puts it still behind the original Xbox
Let's not forget that the Wii is behind the GCN after two months. :)

Fuzzy said:
Let's not forget that the Wii is behind the GCN after two months. :)

PS3 is behind PS2 right? Next gen am flop? This gen is gonna have to last longer for the big 3 to sell what they want. That atleast is good.

NG_Kris

Not sure if it was noted or not, but NPD told me that PS3 sales are split 75% for the 60 gigger and 25% for the 20 gigger, for what that's worth.

PSP did suprisingly well... too bad no one's buying its games. (All you need right now anyway is MGS: PO...).

Nameless

All three consoles are short of where they're predecessors were after the same amount of time on the market. Just so happens that all three companies really dropped the ball as far as getting enough consoles to stores during their launches. MS botched the 360 launch, and Sony and Nintendo botched the PS3 and Wii launches respectively.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
kisakiproject said:
PS3 is behind PS2 right? Next gen am flop? This gen is gonna have to last longer for the big 3 to sell what they want. That atleast is good.
Nope, it's ahead after two months. :lol

sonycowboy said:

There have been statements from retail executives as well as a MarketWatch report released today indicating that there is quite a disparity between PS3 retail shipments and sales figures. If nothing else, that's more meaningful than people on GAF taking pictures.

DenogginizerOS said:
As of 8PM tonight, my Best Buy had 2 systems left from the large shipment they received on December 30th. I think they had 36. Lets say 40. What percentage is 38/40? 95%. Not 99.9%. (Store #158. Winston-Salem, NC). Need more?

They made the shipment available on Sunday, December 31st as per the ad in the paper. Those units weren't available when NPD closed on Saturday, December 30th. You're also only choosing units from a single shipment vs all the shipments over the 5 week period. As they sold ~500k for the month vs the unavailable ~20k Best Buy shipment on the last day of the month.

Again, I'm not saying that PS3's aren't readily available now. They are. My point is that they weren't for NPD's December reporting period. Whether it be 99%, 99.2%, 98%, whatever.

DenogginizerOS

sonycowboy said:
They made the shipment available on Sunday, December 31st as per the ad in the paper. Those units weren't available when NPD closed on Saturday, December 30th. You're also only choosing units from a single shipment vs all the shipments over the 5 week period. As they sold ~500k for the month vs the unavailable ~20k Best Buy shipment on the last day of the month.

Again, I'm not saying that PS3's aren't readily available now. They are. My point is that they weren't for NPD's December reporting period. Whether it be 99%, 99.2%, 98%, whatever.

If you are going to report percentages, and you are the official source of NPD data, you better back those percentages with real data. Otherwise, you are interjecting your opinion in areas where you shouldn't.

PleoMax

Banned
Wii was nowhere to be seen in december.

Today i went to the mall, and at the electronics superstore i saw like 30 of them, one of top of eachother, and nobody ****ing cared.

I was shocked.

AZ Greg

So the PS3 is at 687.3 K in the US which is 312.7 K short of 1 million. What can we estimate for the rest of NA since according to Sony they have shipped 1 million in NA. And if the other NA numbers don't pull the total to 1 million like Sony said they shipped in 06 doesn't that mean they are sitting on shelves because according to Sony they are "sold into retail."

joeposh

PleoMax said:

Today i went to the mall, and at the electronics superstore i saw like 30 of them, one of top of eachother, and nobody ****ing cared.

I was shocked.

Where do you live? Cause in Michigan I see PS3's just about everywhere, but still hear adults and kids going around asking about the Wii. I haven't seen one on store shelves since black friday (though I know there have been shipments, they just seem to be accounted for before places even open).

PleoMax said:

I was shocked.

What mall. Where. I will go Dead Rising on that place to get one. Seriously. Drop some details.

WARIO WARE IS OUT NEXT WEEK AND I AM RUNNING OUT OF ****ING TIME.

Soybean

Wow. Nintendo is retarded. They let a lot of frustrated Wii-seeking consumers go to other consoles. Not even close to their promised numbers.

Chris Remo said:
There have been statements from retail executives as well as a MarketWatch report released today indicating that there is quite a disparity between PS3 retail shipments and sales figures. If nothing else, that's more meaningful than people on GAF taking pictures.

There's ALWAYS been disparities between shipments and sales and there always will be based on the supply chain, so that's not particularly suprising.

I've been saying for a week and a half now that PS3's are readily available and changed the description of the PS3 availability thread to state as much back on the 31st based on the Best Buy shipment. Every report I've seen from Gamestop's holiday sales reports to analyst estimates have all been in January based on significant shipments received.

I'm pretty sure that there weren't any such reports in December of more than fleeting availability that was soon gone(and I look alot).

I don't mean to sound like a Sony apologist because I've been pretty forthcoming about the slowdown in consumer acceptance based on Ebay auctions, various reports, and the now well reported availabilty. If my 99.9% number was too strong and it should have been 99% or 98.5% fine, I'll accept the chastisement. The number wasn't meant to be an absolute, locked in stone number, although I'm quite sure everybody knows what is meant by it.

But don't tell me that the small difference between the Wii and PS3 sales numbers dicatates anything about how one company is flying high and the other one has crashed and burned. It simply doesn't hold water as both numbers don't tell you anything except essentially a tale of shipments.

DenogginizerOS said:
If you are going to report percentages, and you are the official source of NPD data, you better back those percentages with real data. Otherwise, you are interjecting your opinion in areas where you shouldn't.

Already covered, but "where I shouldn't"? Please. I value NPD, sales trends, and the industry overall and I'm happy that we're still getting some access, but I'll interject my opinion on a regular basis and if you need clarification on something feel free to ask.

VALIS

sonycowboy said:
Decided ?? :lol :lol :lol

I do believe it's possible that the PS3 could be in 3rd place in the US and 2nd in Japan, but it's beyond ludicrous to say that it may be decided.

Wow.

After 13 months on the market, the 360 is @ 4.5M units which puts it still behind the original Xbox and far behind the PS2. The Wii will likely sell a good bit more than that and who the hell knows about the PS3. The pricing makes it hard to predict because you don't know what Sony can afford / is willing to do.

The 360 may just be starting to hit it's stride, but 1M units is what a competative system is ~supposed to do in December, so while it could have done worse and it's still @ $400, I still don't know if it's broken out yet. But given the other guys missteps, they're still in excellent position.

Maybe it's a little too early to call NA for the 360, but realistically Sony will have to have a streak of doing everything right with the PS3 for a good 2-3 years. Substantial price drops, more exclusives, more high quality first party titles and aggressive advertising. Considering MS still has Halo 3, Guitar Hero, GTA-on-the-cheaper-console and maybe a price drop in their bag, along with a lot of other high profile 1st party games, they're holding 4 aces for 2007. They're stacked.

Wii, who knows? It's a total wild card. I wouldn't be surprised if it sold 2 million this year or 10 million.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Nice.

MS has set themselves up pretty damn well for 2007. After all the shit they took for launching first they're definitley in the drivers seat for a while. The 2007 lineup is looking stellar.

Top Bottom