• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

kiUNiT

PleoMax said:
Wii was nowhere to be seen in december.

Today i went to the mall, and at the electronics superstore i saw like 30 of them, one of top of eachother, and nobody ****ing cared.

I was shocked.

Liar or comedian?

unomas

Banned
What the hell was Pachter smoking? PS2 sales are wow! Sony best keep supporting that money making machine, clearly price/library are still selling that thing like hotcakes. Why buy a next gen machine when you can snag a PS2 for $129.99? Bottom line is Americans are cheap, and the PS2 was an easy choice for many of them this Christmas. I'm amazed the 360 moved 1 million plus units at the $400 price tag. I still think they need a $100 price drop before summer though. Gears of War is clearly the early 360 killer app and apparently Guitar Hero 2 will be the next one. I'm sure it will sell well to the 360 fanbase.

WarLox

jimbo said:
Like you said, January will make things more clear.

for what its worth.... theres another wii/ps3 sunday ad thingy coming really soon... and all the 360s that we have now, comes with a free copy of Madden 07 inside.. plus a "coupon book" at bestbuy

I can't wait until Jan. 's NPD is released... so i can say I can't wait until Feb. 's NPD is released.. so i can say... :)

VALIS

J-Rzez said:
:lol at the people claiming victory for MS in NA after their competitors were on the market for 2months and supply and game library constrained...

4.5m
1.1m

For the PS3 to catch up to the 360, it will have to outsell it by about 65,000 per month, every month, over the next 60 months. And that's just to be even in 5 years.

How likely do you think that is when Halo 3 comes out? Or when GTA comes out? Or when the 360 premium drops to $299 then $199 within that time frame?

I'd give the PS3 a 5-10% chance of catching the 360 at this point. Wii, I have no idea.

Deku

Banned
Wii hardware numbers seem off given the known tie ratio we've been given (something like 3+ units per hardware sold in December) and this is with a pack-in.

Nintendo also raised their financial forecasts for FY 2007, and they stated they still expect 6 million Wiis are still expected to be sold by then with increased software to 21 million units from 16 million and they said they would ship 2 million units. Unless they are expecting strong January-March sales, something isn't adding up.

If they indeed send 2 million units to NA, and lets be generous and give Canada/Mexico 15% of the market , they'd still be 758k units short.

Odysseus

Banned
Deku said:
Wii hardware numbers seem off given the known tie ratio we've been given (something like 3+ units per hardware sold in December) and this is with a pack-in.

Nintendo also raised their financial forecasts for FY 2007, and they stated they still expect 6 million Wiis are still expected to be sold by then with increased software to 21 million units from 16 million and they said they would ship 2 million units. Unless they are expecting strong January-March sales, something isn't adding up.

If they indeed send 2 million units to NA, and lets be generous and give Canada/Mexico 15% of the market , they'd still be 758k units short.

unfortunately, nintendo has both confirmed the december npd wii number via a press release and has also admitted they didn't get as many wiis to retailers as they had wished

Insertia said:
Wow @ PSP on the heels of DS.
Heh. PSP is about as much on DS's heels as Wii is on X360's.

Odysseus said:
unfortunately, nintendo has both confirmed the december npd wii number via a press release and has also admitted they didn't get as many wiis to retailers as they had wished
Yeah, if the real sell-through was significantly more, they could've easily enough cried foul. They've got their own tracking system.

GhaleonEB

WarLox said:
I can't wait until Jan. 's NPD is released... so i can say I can't wait until Feb. 's NPD is released.. so i can say... :)
Some context. I'm going to use rounders here, sonycowboy let me know if this is okay.

The PS2 sold 1.1m through December 2000 (debuting in October). Pretty good start, but shortages were rampant. January sales stayed solid at 250k and it just kept on trucking. The Gamecube had a great start, selling 1.2m in November and December 2001 (more than the Wii at this point). January? Crashed to ~sixty thousand. January will provide a very good indication of how sustained demand is after the holidays, at least for the first several months of 2007.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I'm not sure if it's been posted but New Super Mario Bros. is at 6 million for Japan+US sales. I don't know what's happening in Europe but it's going to hit 10 million copies eventually. What was the last single game to do that?

Odysseus

Banned
duderon said:
I'm not sure if it's been posted but New Super Mario Bros. is at 6 million for Japan+US sales. I don't know what's happening in Europe but it's going to hit 10 million copies eventually. What was the last single game to do that?

10 mil? san andreas

halo 2 is somewhere around 8, or at least that's the number tossed around here

ccbfan

Nintendo better get their butts moving and get Wiis out or they're basically throwing away a golden opportunity to slam their foots into their competitor's throats. Word of mouth and causal hype don't last very long. The general American public have a short attention span especially for products that was big for the holiday season.

Also from seeing the Zelda attach rate it would seem very little of the casuals got a hold of the system considering most casuals would probably be satisfied with just Wii sports.

The PS3 is just too expensive and have no games. There's really no reason to buy one right now other than to brag you have a PS3.

Xbox 360 seems to be doing pretty well and a lot better than the Xbox. Sure the Xbox did better than the 360 at this point in total sold but that was because not only was there a $200 difference, there was also Halo, the two free Sega games. This time MS has so much more manuever room with the price drop. Plus we all know Halo 3 is gonna be absolutely ridicules.

Deku

Banned
ccbfan said:
Nintendo better get their butts moving and get Wiis out or they're basically throwing away a golden opportunity to slam their foots into their competitor's throats. Word of mouth and causal hype don't last very long. The general American public have a short attention span especially for products that was big for the holiday season.

Also from seeing the Zelda attach rate it would seem very little of the casuals got a hold of the system considering most casuals would probably be satisfied with just Wii sports.

The PS3 is just too expensive and have no games. There's really no reason to buy one right now other than to brag you have a PS3.

Xbox 360 seems to be doing pretty well and a lot better than the Xbox. Sure the Xbox did better than the 360 at this point in total sold but that was because not only was there a $200 difference, there was also Halo, the two free Sega games. This time MS has so much more manuever room with the price drop. Plus we all know Halo 3 is gonna be absolutely ridicules.

Tie ratio is 3+ units of software per hardware unit sold not including Wii Sports, casuals may have casual tastes, but I don't think Zelda is a hardcore only product and it seems like Nintendo at least got enough of that game on retail shelves.

dyls

Pachter is as upset as anyone about the Wii hardware numbers.

Gamespot
Analysts were also skeptical, with some believing that the Wii sold more than NPD reported. "I don't understand how US Wii sell-through could be 1.1 million cumulatively, with Nintendo saying that they shipped half of their 4 million here and zero inventory on retail shelves at year end," said Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter. "Where are the other 900,000 units? I assume 200,000 are in transit, but this number makes no sense to me at all."

dyls said:

Gamespot

embarassed.jpg

GhaleonEB

dyls said:

Gamespot
Like the weatherman, he can be dead wrong half the time and still have a job.

A few years ago in December the local guy in Iowa, channel 9, forecast a sunny if cold day to follow. The next day we got two feet of snow. He came on that night and said, basically, "that front came down further than I thought it would. Oops." Pachter gets paid a lot of money to follow this stuff. I'm amazed how off he is sometimes. I thought he did more than just take the manufacturers at their word? Anyone can do that.

Terrell

AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't get this. Sony's initially low production and distribution rate was said to be a result of all this fancy, high end tech. What's the excuse with Wii?

David Yarnton, president of Nintendo of Europe. He likely woke up a few days after launch, sipped his coffee, read his paper... and then proceeded to shit his pants when he read that Wii is the fastest-selling console across the entire European continent.

"What? Europe finds Nintendo home consoles RELEVANT?! OH F***, WHAT AM I GONNA DO?!"

So, let's recap... Nintendo's weakest market with GameCube and N64 sees explosive and well-publicized demand. Nintendo knows that they'll have sell-through of their shipments well into January or February in North America and Japan. Jeez, tough call deciding what they'd do with their shipments and why both regions appear to have been undercut.

Deku

Banned
duderon said:
Did Nintendo ever state NA was getting 2 million consoles? Looks like Pachter could have been reading GAF a little too much :lol
It was their target pre-launch

Also Nintendo always use NPD data on its PR, they rarely use their own unless its stating WW sales. So even if there is a discrepancy it's unlikely they will correct it, favorable or unfavorable.

I don't think they shipped 2 million but I do think an adjustment to the data may be issued, or heck, Wii January sales might shock everyone.

360 sales in Dec match Wii sales in Nov and Dec combined.
Sony shipped 687K PS3s LTD (1 million megaton?)
360 has 3 exclusive games in annual most sold games list with a 4.6m install base

Microsoft must be patting themselves on the back. Really good job, IMO.

Odysseus

Banned
tahrikmili said:
360 sales in Dec match Wii sales in Nov and Dec combined.
Sony shipped 687K PS3s LTD (1 million megaton?)
360 has 3 exclusive games in annual most sold games list with a 4.6m install base

Microsoft must be patting themselves on the back. Really good job, IMO.

two of the games aren't exactly exclusive, but three in the top ten is very impressive indeed

Deku

Banned
Terrell said:
David Yarnton, president of Nintendo of Europe. He likely woke up a few days after launch, sipped his coffee, read his paper... and then proceeded to shit his pants when he read that Wii is the fastest-selling console across the entire European continent.

"What? Europe finds Nintendo home consoles RELEVANT?! OH F***, WHAT AM I GONNA DO?!"

So, let's recap... Nintendo's weakest market with GameCube and N64 sees explosive and well-publicized demand. Nintendo knows that they'll have sell-through of their shipments well into January or February in North America and Japan. Jeez, tough call deciding what they'd do with their shipments and why both regions appear to have been undercut.

Their recent financials have held Wii shipments by FY 2007 ending March 06 to be 6 million, which means they will make up for it between Jan to March. The real question is whether the public will be buying or if we'll run into inventories sitting unsold.

If they had actually met their stated shipment goals in 2006, there's no reason for them to hold their Wii shipments unchanged at 6 million, I was actually expecting a bump up to 7 million if they actually sold 4 million by Dec 31, now we know why that is the case.

Assuming WW Wii installed base is at around 3.1~3.2 million currently, they'll need to sell just 2.8 million in 3 months, for 933k give or take total in each of the 3 months split between the 3 territories (311k on average per territory). I'm actually skeptical they can do that, but if demand doesn't slow (and it apparently sold over 100k units in Japan first week of January) then they may even beat expectations by March.

Striek

Terrell said:
Yeah, uh, its most likely Europe got even less than the other regions.

Tieno

I think the Wii numbers are the dissapointing ones in this.
They said they shipped 2million, mainstream hype is supposed to be great, cheapest console, sold out everywhere, yet they only sold 114k more than the PS3 which is twice as expensive, shipped only 1m, isn't sold out, "doesn't have any games", has bad karma and manufacturing problems and whatnot.

Yeah, either Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with their artificial shortage or they lied and couldn't make enough units.

Odysseus

Banned
Tieno said:
I think the Wii numbers are the dissapointing ones in this.
They said they shipped 2million, mainstream hype is supposed to be great, cheapest console, sold out everywhere, yet they only sold 114k more than the PS3 which is twice as expensive, shipped only 1m, isn't sold out, has bad karma and manufacturing problems and whatnot.

Yeah, either Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with their artificial shortage or they lied and couldn't make enough units.

wrist straps

it's all about the wrist straps

i'm giving them an out, they just need to use it

rkenshin

the super thin wrist straps did Nintendo in :lol

I mean seriously, what a worse time for a replacement program to start up

GhaleonEB

Rhindle said:
Has Nintendo offered any explanation for their shipping problems?

Has anyone bothered to ask them about it?
The first step to having a problem is admitting you have a problem. Now that the data is out I hope there are some hard questions asked to them. And by hope, I mean doubt.

Norse

I guess I was right when I posted sony must have shipped 300k units dec 31st in the "sony ships 1 million to NA in 2006" thread.

also, since there are 0 games listed for ps3 in the top ten, what % of ps3's purchased were by a/v freaks wanting the blu ray abilities of the ps3?

oh, OT...Live Free or Die Hard !!!!! Frickin right doggie, a new die hard movie is coming out. woooo hoooo!

Odysseus

Banned
Norse said:
also, since there are 0 games listed for ps3 in the top ten, what % of ps3's purchased were by a/v freaks wanting the blu ray abilities of the ps3?

to be completely fair here, a spot in the top ten would have required a game to sell to 75% of the december ps3 buyers or 53% of the total userbase. if we're all of the opinion that resistance is the only must have and accepting that a sizable number of people just aren't into first person shooters (ps2 didn't have any halo-sized fps successes, for example), it's really hard to expect a ps3 game to sell that many games right now.

Norse

Odysseus said:
to be completely fair here, a spot in the top ten would have required a game to sell to 75% of the december ps3 buyers or 53% of the total userbase. if we're all of the opinion that resistance is the only must have and accepting that a sizable number of people just aren't into first person shooters (ps2 didn't have any halo-sized fps successes, for example), it's really hard to expect a ps3 game to sell that many games right now.

very true. Yet I dont think the a/v freak that wants blu ray player for less, thats actually the best player, can be ignored. I have a ps3 with blu ray movies, I do not own any of the launch titles. I dont see any i want till heavenly sword or perhaps lair.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

So many "banned" people in this thread. It's crazy. I'm reading this information for the first time tonight.

:O

J-Rzez

Wonder what the PS3 sales up in Canada could be... and didn't Mexico get it as well? I'm sure not nearly as much as the US, but, still, it could put them closer to that 1million mark...

Norse

J-Rzez said:
Wonder what the PS3 sales up in Canada could be... and didn't Mexico get it as well? I'm sure not nearly as much as the US, but, still, it could put them closer to that 1million mark...

remember the announced price for the ps3 in mexico? I doubt they sold many there. Figure 10% of US sales for canada. I think that is what Gaf uses normally.

J-Rzez

Norse said:
remember the announced price for the ps3 in mexico? I doubt they sold many there. Figure 10% of US sales for canada. I think that is what Gaf uses normally.

So circa 3/4million + the people that got raped in Mexico? Not too bad... pretty close with their PR talk...

Norse

J-Rzez said:
So circa 3/4million + the people that got raped in Mexico? Not too bad... pretty close with their PR talk...

hehehe, J-Rzez, you sure are trying hard to be a glass is half full tye of guy today. The numbers for ps2 and psp are good enough for you to be happy. But hitting only about 70% of what ps3 was supposed to have shipped isnt something to be happy about.

hey, nintendo press release says greatest december in history....sony says they dominated the competition....did nintendo mean greatest in Nintendo history or all gaming history? If all gaming, then how can sony say they dominated?

Odysseus

Banned
Norse said:
hehehe, J-Rzez, you sure are trying hard to be a glass is half full tye of guy today. The numbers for ps2 and psp are good enough for you to be happy. But hitting only about 70% of what ps3 was supposed to have shipped isnt something to be happy about.

hey, nintendo press release says greatest december in history....sony says they dominated the competition....did nintendo mean greatest in Nintendo history or all gaming history? If all gaming, then how can sony say they dominated?

revenue

J-Rzez

Norse said:
hehehe, J-Rzez, you sure are trying hard to be a glass is half full tye of guy today.

Eh, I guess I'm getting fed up with the baseless Sony slander... and becoming a heavy symphathizer for them... Kinda like how sometimes hostages end up becoming loyal to their "host"... :lol

I'll always pull for them though, until they let me down like Ninty did years ago...

J-Rzez

Blimblim said:
Stockholm syndrome as the justification of console war. That's a first!

Hey... They've given me all the bread and water (games and consoles) that I've wanted so far... and spent a lot of time with them... when they shoot me as and example, that's when it ends though... so yeah... lol... I'm gonna quit here... before I get tagged here as Videogames first reported Stockhom Syndrome case... :lol

Top Bottom