• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
They made the shipment available on Sunday, December 31st as per the ad in the paper. Those units weren't available when NPD closed on Saturday, December 30th. You're also only choosing units from a single shipment vs all the shipments over the 5 week period. As they sold ~500k for the month vs the unavailable ~20k Best Buy shipment on the last day of the month.

Again, I'm not saying that PS3's aren't readily available now. They are. My point is that they weren't for NPD's December reporting period. Whether it be 99%, 99.2%, 98%, whatever.
I realize we're well into the territory of semantics, but I think if you'd said the PS3 sold "the vast majority" or "nearly all" or "just about every" unit shipped, or some variation, no one would argue. When you apply a number to that proportion, especially on sales-happy GAF, people want to know the basis. I think most people agree with the sentiment, it's just the quantification of it, which is impossible, that is causing debate.

INteresting numbers. There has been a lot of spinning going on here lately, and every fanboy has a different spin (read: excuse) for the performance of their console of choice.

I think it's safe to say that the Wii could have done much better were there more supplies out there, but such is the case when in a luanch mode. It takes time to ramp up production, and clearly there is demand for the product.

PS3 had solid performance, but continued reports, from a wide variety of sources, that they were in stock in a number of places throughout the month are hard to ignore. Personally, I think there is demand for the PS3, but the price is prohibitive, and is keeping a lot of people away. I was at one of the Best Buys in my area last weekend, and there were six of them on the shelf. I have no idea how many they had in from earlier shipments, how long they were there, or anything like that. Just tha they were sitting there, with little attention.

MS has to be pretty happy with the 360's performance in December, and they can thank CliffyB and the gang for helping them out. Clearly Gears is a bonafide hit that is helping to drive hardware sales. The overall library of 360 games isn't hurting it at all, but Gears has given it major buzz, and it's convincing some consumers to grab the 360 that were possibly going to purchase a PS3.

PSP sales and DS sales were great as well. I know the DS was very hard to find leading up to Christmas.

Pimpbaa

Raw64life said:
PSP software sales were disappointing all around.

Are like most people pirating psp games (or just running emulators on it) or are they just getting it for it's other features? Certainly can't be for the UMD movies. Not dissing the psp, I love mine. But i'm just baffled with the relatively high hardware sales but really low software sales. Anyway, Nintendo probably made a killing worldwide with the Wii, but pissed off a lot of people due to the shortages (worldwide launch bad idea!).

Tarazet

sonycowboy said:
Sales up 28%

Courtesy of NPD

HW Sales (month and LTD)
Nintendo DS 1.6 mm 9.2 mm
PS2 1.4 mm 37.1 mm
GBA 850.7 K 35.1 mm
Xbox 360 1.1 mm 4.5 mm
Wii 604.2 K 1.1 mm
PSP 953.2 K 6.7 mm
PS3 490.7 K 687.3 K

What the hell? Xbox 360 outsold PS2 in Japan but not in the USA. BRAIN ASPLODE

PleoMax

Banned
RaidenZR said:
Sorry, but I don't. I like the system. Sincerely hope it is performing as well as Sony says it is.

Sorry!?

What are you trying to say? That somehow i would want you to hate the system, meaning as a consequence of that desire that i in turn hate the system?

What are you saying? That i'm a sony hater?

Why you hatin? You come here and insult me by trying to pass a false image of me....shiiit.

J-Rzez

:lol at the people claiming victory for MS in NA after their competitors were on the market for 2months and supply and game library constrained...

4.5m
1.1m

Doesn't decide anything after 2 months of competition... From what we know, the Wii and PS3 are selling better than the PS2 did during the same time frame, take it for what it's worth...

Raw64life

Pimpbaa said:
Are like most people pirating psp games (or just running emulators on it) or are they just getting it for it's other features? Certainly can't be for the UMD movies. Not dissing the psp, I love mine. But i'm just baffled with the relatively high hardware sales but really low software sales. Anyway, Nintendo probably made a killing worldwide with the Wii, but pissed off a lot of people due to the shortages (worldwide launch bad idea!).

Probably for other features. The majority of PSP advertising I saw this holiday season was that one commercial where some girl leaves a guy a PSP and he has to use the features on it to find her, which doesn't even mention the fact that it plays games. But yea, PSP software sales on the whole this month don't at all reflect the hardware numbers it put up.

Rhindle

Really, the fact that a new Playstation console is sitting on shelves after selling ~670K units is pretty stunning.

Would anyone have predicted that six months ago? Even after the price announcement, I would have guessed they'd be able to shift at least 2-3 million units before catching up with demand.

I don't know that they even have many cards to play to turn things around. They're going to end up cutting prices a lot sooner than they would like.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
sonycowboy said:
Double standard much??

99.9% of PS3's were sold and 100% of Wii's were sold, but somehow the Wii's number is excusable by shortages buy Sony's isn't?

I'm not saying that the Wii demand isn't stronger. It obviously is, but when you have them sold out, all you have are shipment numbers on both sides.

Weird month. I wish I could have participated more, but tonight was a mess. I'll post some more numbers tomorrow and we'll have some fun.

Well, I don't have the data or anecdotal evidence to say PS3 was having major shortages. If indeed they sold 99% of their stock then yeah shortages hurt their christmas, but it doesn't seem like they are having shortages, at least now anyway.

jimbo

Banned
Rhindle said:
Really, the fact that a new Playstation console is sitting on shelves after selling ~670K units is pretty stunning.

Would anyone have predicted that six months ago? Even after the price announcement, I would have guessed they'd be able to shift at least 2-3 million units before catching up with demand.

I don't know that they even have many cards to play to turn things around. They're going to end up cutting prices a lot sooner than they would like.

My thoughts exactly.

Let's see what things look like in a year. It should be interesting.

I predict it's going to look very Halo-ish with a tint of GTA4, so pretty much the same thing.

Is there really anything else that needs mentioning other than Madden +Halo 3 + GTA4 on the same console in North America for around $300?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
artofeatingcrowjanuarybi8.jpg

Ranger X

Honestly you look at Sony's numbers and when you think about it, they all must be partying, laughing + beer & hookers.
I mean, the PS2 is still so strong they don't even need the PS3 to perform more. Even if it takes 2 years for their new baby to take off they shall see no problems...

Also, wow at the PSP sales. I don't know if i was influenced by GAF negativity or was sleeping under a rock but i thought Sony would do ALOT worse than those figures.

Lobster

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
In December 2002, Xbox sold 1,033,000 with the benefit of the magic $199.99 price point.

Just imagine how much Ps3 will sell at that price. 0_o

With the first price drop..Sony better ship heaps..and heaps..or they'll miss out on a golden oppurtunity.

Odysseus

Banned
OnkelC said:

well, no crow here

i said in the thread where pachter estimated wii > 360 that i just couldn't see wii being that high, maybe they would get ~1.3 for nov + dec combined (which they didn't). i further clarified in the prediction thread shortly before npds were released that analysts' expectations just seemed absurd, given the fact that basically no one ever saw a wii anywhere. if there were truly 1+ million of them sold, someone would have stumbled across one somewhere along the line. sales of 1+ million just didn't jive with day after day of empty shelves.

so i avoided crow.... this month

i've still said a lot about what i expect for 2007, which i will graciously omit from this post since, you know, it isn't really the time or place

Odysseus

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Purported compiled NPD numbers that have been posted around here for a good while.

Earliest instance that I could find.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3987270&highlight=1,033,000#post3987270

If quoting years-old numbers that have been posted here before is verboten, I'll stop.

i think we can't just post numbers we've always posted, we need a "real" source

the closest i can come is this, http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials/special.pl?spec=csection2&pagenum=1, which rounds it to 1 million.

jimbo

Banned
Just to add more fuel to the fire...so when exactly is the PS3 going to start chewing away at that 360 lead for it to become the world wide leader that everyone's predicting? Japan doesn't seem to be helping it much.

NA+Japan totals are at 1.1 million so far(NPD+Media Create LTD) for the PS3. The 360 did this number in December alone in NA. So in reality, if you count the rest of the world, since the PS3 came out the 360 has been increasing its world-wide lead.

Europe better be as Sony crazy as GAF'ers think. And I mean CRAAAAAAZY. But I'm going to go on a lim here and say that they won't be. I'm going to guess that Europe is going to be even more affected by that price tag, just like NA.

So short of a $300 price drop, if I am right, is there anything in the forseeable future that will happen for the PS3 that could change this trend?

Tarazet

jimbo said:
Just to add more fuel to the fire...so when exactly is the PS3 going to start chewing away at that 360 lead for it to become the world wide leader that everyone's predicting? Japan doesn't seem to be helping it much.

NA+Japan totals are at 1.1 million so far(NPD+Media Create LTD) for the PS3. The 360 did this number in December alone in NA. So in reality, if you count the rest of the world, since the PS3 came out the 360 has been increasing its world-wide lead.

Europe better be as Sony crazy as GAF'ers think. And I mean CRAAAAAAZY. But I'm going to go on a lim here and say that they won't be. I'm going to guess that Europe is going to be even more affected by that price tag, just like NA.

So short of a $300 price drop, if I am right, is there anything in the forseeable future that will happen for the PS3 that could change this trend?

Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, and Metal Gear Solid come to mind.

Odysseus

Banned
jimbo said:

can you at least wait until january, for crying out loud

if 360 maintains an edge in january npd now that ps3 supply is basically a non-issue, more or less, then we can begin to guess if japan/europe/bangladesh is going to be able to tip the scales

sonarrat said:

But that assumes that the 360 stops selling and has no huge 2007 hits coming too. The road to COMPLETE DOMINATION for the PS3 is a long one. MS would have to totally drop the ball in some horrible way IMO.

jimbo

Banned
sonarrat said:

I could just post one word...but there's no point. Let me just be nice and say both consoles have great exclusives of their own, and as a matter of fact the 360's 07 line-up looks incredible.

jimbo

Banned
Odysseus said:

if 360 maintains an edge in january npd now that ps3 supply is basically a non-issue, more or less, then we can begin to guess if japan/europe/bangladesh is going to be able to tip the scales

Of course, of course. I am getting ahead of myself. January NPD will be the first month of the true 360 vs PS3 war in NA(Wii is still having shortages so we can't count it) but honestly, if the PS3 only sold close to 700k units out of 1 million available, it's hard to use the supply shortage as an excuse. Although I will give you that it was, especially in some locations, harder to find and especially harder to find than a 360.

So January it is then Odysseus.

PS: Care to place another bet or have you had your fill of living dangerously? jk ;p

Norse

uh, didnt sony just say that their shipped numbers they report are sold to consumers? Doesnt look like its true.

Between NPD and CES I have come to this conclusion. I am glad I have a 360 for games, and a ps3 for blu ray and future ps3 only titles. The movies announced for blu ray at CES are amazing. Hd Dvd let me down. 360 will be a greater success in NA than xbox was, and the ps2 will not have any equals from this group of next gen systems when all is said and done.

Odysseus

Banned
jimbo said:
Of course, of course. I am getting ahead of myself. January NPD will be the first month of the true 360 vs PS3 war in NA(Wii is still having shortages so we can't count it) but honestly, if the PS3 only sold close to 700k units out of 1 million available, it's hard to use the supply shortage as an excuse. Although I will give you that it was, especially in some locations, harder to find and especially harder to find than a 360.

So January it is then Odysseus.

PS: Care to place another bet or have you had your fill of living dangerously? jk ;p

going back to what sonycowboy was saying, it wasn't like ps3 was readily available and collecting dust on shelves in the actual npd reporting period. right now, of course (perhaps not the collecting dust part). sony's statement regarding shipment/sold numbers is about as revealing as microsoft's claim of 10 million. who cares, consider it lip service, and pay attention to what's actually happening. unfortunately, this requires actual data for non-launch, non-holiday months to start coming in.

jimbo

Banned
Odysseus said:
going back to what sonycowboy was saying, it wasn't like ps3 was readily available and collecting dust on shelves in the actual npd reporting period. right now, of course. sony's statement regarding shipment/sold numbers is about as revealing as microsoft's claim of 10 million. who cares, consider it lip service, and pay attention to what's actually happening. unfortunately, this requires actual data for non-launch, non-holiday months to start coming in.

Like you said, January will make things more clear.

Ben Sones

Y2Kevbug11 said:
PS3 at 500k...700k for America...about what 360 had last year. Not bad.

At what point did Xbox 360 launch sales, which pretty much everyone called disasterous at the time, become the role model for a "not bad" launch?

Norse

Odysseus said:

wait till march...jan is too close to dec when supply low ps3s were hard to find thus making late xmas pickups in january...march will be when everything is on level play field. Maybe feb. Then there are no excuses for anyone. By the way, I personally dont think there will be much difference in ps3 and 360 sales till price cuts hit.

Top Bottom