• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

kswiston

NOTHING that was on less than two platforms charted. December was dominated by titles spread out across PS3,360,XBO,PS4,WiiU,NDS, and Vita.

How much do you think Gran turismo actually sells?

Yup. Going by previous years, the #10 cutoff was probably over 600k.

Road

Now, for some obvious news:

However, while both new machines are having great, competitive launches, neither of them were able to beat Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of 2013--not just December.

And not obvious:

"Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far," NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted. Guess having great games does sell hardware, huh?​

Wii U over 460k?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82688/december-npd-xbox-one-beats-ps4-but-3ds-comes-out

This is pretty impressive:

"During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013). "

Mindlog

Hardware down 2% YoY is sort of scary even with shortages on some products.
Retail.

Hardware up 5% is sort of OK.
Obviously digital is a really big segment that's not served by these traditional numbers now. All of my next gen-software has been digital.

I bought a Wii U this December, but it's a console designed for only fanatical Nintendo fans. It's awful sales shouldn't surprise you, when you see their target audience is so small.

Nobody is going to buy a Wii U for multiplayer gaming or third party games. That just leaves the group of people who want to experience Mario and Zelda.

It's outrageous price tag doesn't help either. I only bought one because i had 250 dollars in Best Buy Reward Certificates.

But I did buy it for multiplayer gaming. It's a splendid local multiplayer gaming system. There's just a huge difference between that and online games, for many reasons.

Riki

Wii U maybe not that bad?

However, while both new machines are having great, competitive launches, neither of them were able to beat Nintendo 3DS, the best selling system of 2013--not just December.

And Wii U is over 472k?

"Hardware sales of the Wii U were also positive with December 2013 marking its highest month for unit sales month so far," NPD analyst Liam Callahan noted. Guess having great games does sell hardware, huh?​

Welp.

And not obvious:

Wii U over 460k?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/82688/december-npd-xbox-one-beats-ps4-but-3ds-comes-out
Maybe she just refers to 2013 :p

I'm still going for the Google Trends 376.000 one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97369688&postcount=440 :p

Foshy

Someone explain this sentence from MS PR to me please:
During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).
Forza, DR3 and Ryse aren't in the Top 10, but apparently they're talking about "next-gen Top 10" here. PS4 doesn't have 4 retail exclusives to fill up the list though.

Or is it individual formats when standard NPD Top 10 is an all-format chart? Pretty confusing.

Lebon14

Where's the fun in that?

Fun, well... not really. I guess, it's the Nintendo fanboy in me that wants to know if December helped or not for the WiiU.

My prediction is, like I said earlier, 500k. It just need to come close to that and I would be happy. If it goes over, I'll be amazed!

Occam

"PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15"

Well, that's the bit of information Major Nelson doesn't post on twitter.

it's only like, 5-10% tops mind you

nobody knows what it is. MS and Sony never publish figures sold through their platforms, with a few rare exceptions. (Minecraft).

Given that it's pretty much the gaming hardcore buying these $400 and $500 machines, I would probably bet that more than 5-10% of PS4/XBO sales were digital.

FourMyle

Damn, XBO version of nearly all multiplats outsold their PS4 counterparts.

What good is it to have the best and cheapest console on the market if people can't buy it? Well done Microsoft, you just outsold the $100, more powerful/cheaper/hyped PS4. It's not small feat.

I'm quite certain they are perfectly fine with "losing" to the XBO for a month in the US when the PS4 is still the #1 next gen console in the US and WW, by more than a million units.

Mikey Jr.

"During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013). "

So PS4 got 4?

Mehhh.

Kusagari

Is that order random or does it actually mean BF4 was the best selling One game?

I thought the highest month was 460K not 472K?

460K would be very good for the Wii U, and also still bad in the grand scheme.

EDIT: Can we not reference Arthur Gies in a sales thread of all things... :/

Anything above 500k I think would be decent for Wii U considering the circumstances. Still bad in the sense it will probably go crashing under 100k next month, but better than November numbers would indicate especially with the next gen launch

Tsundere

Banned
Xbox One 2013

US - 1,817,000
UK - 364,000
---------
= 2,181,000
in the two biggest markets, and arguably, the most favourable to Xbox

3,000,000 - 2,181,000

819,000 sold in the remaining 11 countries to make their 3Million+ claim for 2013 valid...

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It makes sense that the XBOne would manage to move more units than the blink and its gone PS4 in December. Sony clearly went for a global strategy after they had managed to topple the MS domination in the US.

However, if Sony is not able to capitalize on the glut of XBOnes available in the US and dominate sales in January, then I think they are making a mistake in priorities. I don't necessarily expect that, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Indeed. It's not good for them at all if people in the US are buying XBOs even though they'd prefer a PS4 only because thats the only thing available, especially given that mindshare snowball effect that we talk about all the time.

I don't know if they are undersupplying that much, since they did still ended up selling more systems over both months but I certainly did expect them to have supplied a bit more.

If January sales still ends up a tie or going to XBO, that's when I'm going to say these supply shortages are a huge problem.

see5harp

"PlayStation 4 remains the cumulative leader for next gen console sales in the US since the launch on November 15"

What does that have to do with his spin for the month of December?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

GeoramA

Nobody seems to be posting that. Pretty crazy when there hasn't really hasn't been PS4 on store shelves since launch.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Though at a 9% decline that would be about par.

By digital I was thinking more like they were referring to things like Minecraft and DLC as opposed to digital copies of retail games though.

yea. i just was setting a ceiling. GAF is the 5% that buys digital, and a lot of people have a false sense of the impact of digital copies of retail games in how big that market is currently. overall, it's small. you said it yourself before, it's all about raising ARPU this cycle since 1st party collectively decided they didnt want to raise retail prices this gen.

Forza, DR3 and Ryse aren't in the Top 10, but apparently they're talking about "next-gen Top 10" here. PS4 doesn't have 4 retail exclusives to fill up the list though.

Or is it individual formats when standard NPD Top 10 is an all-format chart? Pretty confusing.

Add in Wii U titles like SMW3D.

Next year, I want to see some new faces in the top ten software list. I'm tired of the same old franchises dominating. I really hope we see a lot of risk taking with new IP'S and soon. I'm more sick of tired franchises than tired hardware.

Seems like Microsoft will be able to maintain the leadership in the States/North America, while the rest of the world will be highly skewed towards the PS4.

JaggedSac

I think people were saying 2 is the norm during the PS4 tie in conversations last week and anything over is good.

Ok, thanks.

They are probably given to subscribers in individual formats. More useful for them that way.

Top Bottom