• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Xbox One 2013

US - 1,817,000
UK - 364,000
---------
= 2,181,000
in the two biggest markets, and arguably, the most favourable to Xbox

3,000,000 - 2,181,000

819,000 sold in the remaining 11 countries to make their 3Million+ claim for 2013 valid...

Pretty damning evidence that the 3.0 million number was a lie/assumption.

Calabi

It's definitely disappointing. It shows publishers they can be lazy and people will still buy their products...

Isnt it more lacking competition, the publishers have these games locked down with the licences and lack of competition. People with money to burn will buy the only tripe that is available.

Wait, Xbox One sold more consoles in December than PS4? I thought we had already determined that this can't possibly be, based on the sales figured released by Sony and MS about sales in 2013?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nintendo is so incredibly stupid for not having Mario Kart in November.

I mean, they've botched this entire generation and it wouldn't have saved them, but it still would have moved more consoles.

kinggroin

Banned
If it was the Wii U's best month ever, then it could have done 500k, which would be...expected, considering November.

If its the best month of 2013....then fuuuuuuuuuu

Xbox One 2013

US - 1,817,000
UK - 364,000
---------
= 2,181,000

3,000,000 - 2,181,000

819,000 sold in the remaining 11 countries to make their 3Million+ claim for 2013 valid...

How have they sold that much in those countries?

I'm starting to doubt as well now -____-

Someone save me!

Also PS4 as well. 2.2 million for the other countries 0_0

Zophar

Damn, XBO version of nearly all multiplats outsold their PS4 counterparts.

What good is it to have the best and cheapest console on the market if people can't buy it? Well done Microsoft, you just outsold the $100, more powerful/cheaper/hyped PS4. It's not small feat.

The PR doesn't say that, just that 6 of the Top 10 are on XBO, of which three of those are also on PS4. In fact you can deduce that the remaining 4 in the Top 10 are probably the other PS4/Wii U exclusives.

Pain

Banned
Wait until you see how much traction Microsoft have lost in tier two countries before you say that.
I'm sure PS4 is dominating in most EU regions, this is an NPD thread though...

A sale here in North America is worth the same as a sale anywhere else.
Actually the North American market is the biggest and the most important. Getting a lead here should be the priority for any company.

I don't think the victory has any market consequences when the gap isn't that large yet.

If it was a million-plus difference, I would agree with you.
True. Microsoft won the battle(December) but Sony is still winning the war.
With Sony launching in Japan in February I wouldn't be surprised to see these stock issues continue though...

I mean, they've botched this entire generation and it wouldn't have saved them, but it still would have moved more consoles.

If they didn't have Mario Kart to pad the lineup this spring Nintendo would have been left without a big game until the holidays. It would have been a disaster.

Tripon

no, it's like 2 million a month. They wanted 9m + the launch year's 3.x million.

It was always a very high goal. The whole point was to try to get as close as possible, not to actually reach it. It was impossible to do anyway with the little to no marketing Nintendo did world wide and the massive retail drops the system suffered during the first six months of 2013.

btkadams

Wait, Xbox One sold more consoles in December than PS4? I thought we had already determined that this can't possibly be, based on the sales figured released by Sony and MS about sales in 2013?

xbox one sold more in the US in december. the 2013 figures were worldwide.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh, very interested to see Wii U sales numbers. I'm not expecting much, but I just want it to be a semi-viable system at this point. I need the system that made Bayonetta 2 possible to be rewarded :D

Edit: Nevermind, see what people are predicting about Wii U sales. Going to cry in my soup again :(

chadskin

Xbox One 2013

US - 1,817,000
UK - 364,000
---------
= 2,181,000

3,000,000 - 2,181,000

I doubt they sold that many in the remaining countries, as the XB1 isn't too popular in countries like Spain, Germany or Italy.

Raist

Banned
MS PR:
During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

NDP:
138991395288zqojr.jpg

lol?

I love the WiiU but honestly I am surprised that many consoles were moved. Not surprised at all by the next gen numbers. It is good to see people are ready to jump onto next gen.

The Wii U's hardware is probably going to be cringeworthy, but Arthur clarified that he was just going by the 360 numbers being 643k, hence the Wii U being sub-643k:

https://twitter.com/aegies/status/423963592170274817
https://twitter.com/aegies/status/423965391723851776

Honestly, did even the most optimistic people in prediction threads think it would be that high anyway?

Yeah, he's obviously not very tuned in if he thinks 600k wouldn't be surprisingly high for the Wii U. Hell, I'd call that a big win - higher than Gamecube's equivalent month for the first time ever. But it's not going to happen.

Nintendo software didn't even make the top ten again, guess we know what the last update will look like. I like Iwata, he's had some great successes with DS and Wii (still impressed he was willing to take a pay cut back in 2011, that was really classy) but with 3DS and Wii U that's two terrible launches in a row and unlike the former, Wii U obviously doesn't look to be having any kind of comparable rebound at this point so someone has to pay. NCL and NOA are both a stubborn, incompetent mess right now management wise, heads need to roll.

The news isn't the Bone winning: Logic dictated that through supply, didn't it?

The PS4 -still- leading thing is madness though, unless they brought a ton to the party!

Either way, super spin from everybody, but Major's is a lot more normal than last month's freaking debacle

vpance

Xbox One 2013

US - 1,817,000
UK - 364,000
---------
= 2,181,000

3,000,000 - 2,181,000

Yeah, 819k for the remaining... dunno about that one.

Riki

I love the WiiU but honestly I am surprised that many consoles were moved. Not surprised at all by the next gen numbers. It is good to see people are ready to jump onto next gen.

The WiiU seems to have been a pretty popular holiday gift. Though I would expect January numbers to be far more dire.

Wii U > 460k would actually be pretty... amazing all things considered (i.e. what one would expect from the console). Afair GAF was debatting on whether or not it would sell more than 300k in Dec NPD.

I'm not sure the Wii U is next gen.

Not even trolling, I have no idea what NPDs definition is.

It's whatever MS decides it is. However, the only retail exclusives for PS4 were Killzone and Knack, so that means it has to include Wii U otherwise the list would be 8 in the top 10 for Xbox One.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The PR doesn't say that, just that 6 of the Top 10 are on XBO, of which three of those are also on PS4. In fact you can deduce that the remaining 4 in the Top 10 are probably the other PS4/Wii U exclusives.

He's talking about the sku rankings you see on the top page. The sku's are listed with the highest selling first.

It could also means that xbone performed better than expected outside US/UK.

It didn't

France: 50k (in three weeks)
Germany: 100k
Spain: 28k

Then we have these two months NPD numbers (1817k) and UK (364k). We are only missing two bigger markets where Xbone was released (Australia and Italy) and those really can't make up the difference. Numbers just don't add up.

Mifune

Mehmber
Actually the North American market is the biggest and the most important. Getting a lead here should be the priority for any company.

How do you figure when the PS4 leads worldwide by over a million units. Do those non-North America units somehow not count?

Video games are a global business.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I find it worrying for MS that the XB1 sold roughly the same that it did in Nov despites all reports suggesting ample supply of the console in the US.

That, and the fact that they were not as boastful as I would have expected them to be considering they beat Sony.

January NPD cannot come soon enough for me...

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, god forbid a company actually waits until a game is finished before it releases it. Mind you, i suppose gamers do reward EA every year for their half finished piles of garbage, so maybe it'd be good for business?

Top Bottom