• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Amir0x

Banned
well damn. Remarkable how Microsoft turned their fate around with that Kinect device. Gotta hand it to them, they really banked on the casuals innate desire to be turned by gimmickry. I knew with the 500,000,000 they would have a success on their hand, but this level of success is nuts.

So many interesting stories about how consoles can turn their fates around this gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rham said:
No Kinect software in the Top 10 like last month though.
My guess would be that people are playing the bundled game and getting CoD at the same time.

Kind of a PS2 like situation in the U.S. right now where the Xbox is the core and casual console of choice due to momentum.

chubigans said:
Maybe we'll stop getting Killzone games now and they can apply the tech to a different type of game. :p

they are making a new ip :p

Glad to see i was wrong about MvC3, faith restored.

crazy 360 numbers and if looking forward to the other 2

Dabanton

Jeels said:
Have to give props to Microsoft on those hardware numbers. They did a great job (as much as I don't really see what is so great about what they are putting out). Those are pretty insane numbers. This generation has been a weird one.

Those who dare win.

V_Ben

Banned
I think Sony need to have a good hard look at Killzone, and whether that is a franchise they want to stick with. I certainly don't care about it anymore :/

Eagerly awaiting Guerilla's new IP now.

Elios83

"Last month's big seller was the 250 gigabyte Xbox system bundled a Kinect sensor (for $400), but Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii also saw sales grow during the month, NPD said."

Seems like it was a particularly good February.
# Wii > 397,900
# PS3 > 360,100

Massa said:
The "KZ3 bomba" brings flashbacks to the "GT5 bomba". Never change, GAF.

And the chart position doesn't even include the hardware bundles. I wouldn't be surprised if it managed to sell between more than 400k units in a week.

Monty Mole said:
W T F ! ! ! ? ! !

Is that for real? In February? Seriously!?

Sold more than slim price drop in June last year or Halo Reach month. Both 5 week months vs this, a 4 week period.

Kinect > Halo
or AAA exclusives
confirmed;p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Horns said:
COD still holds the #1 spot! Activision needs a bi-annual COD game and they'd hold #1 all year long.

314d795c385539c.gif

Last month though, Pokemon already has the top spot in check for March NPD.

corkscrewblow said:
KZ3 and LBP2 bomba

Remember KZ3 would have only had a week to factor in, and is up against a slew of multiplatform titles. I bet those numbers are pretty respectable still.

Dat 360! Microsoft has to be happy with that insane figure!

Azure J

MAHVEL BABY!

All the issues with how the game shipped aside, I'm so glad to see it that high up on the list. The game deserves it.

Really has been a crazy generation.

I remember all those articles in 2008 about how the 360 had already peaked and that PS3 was poised to take the crown from the Wii in the long-run.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Look forward to seeing the actual numbers for KZ3, since it seemed Gorilla/Sony were pushing for a more expanded audience with some of the changes. Did it pay off, or did they just make their fanbase even smaller? Tune in to find out.

INNIWAYS, rats of to Microsauce. Two months removed for the holiday season, and they're still going strong as ever. Looks like they'll be holding the lead for most of the foreseeable future, with Sony finishing last being a sure thing at this point. The war rages on, but this battle has been won.

Paracelsus

Massa said:
The "KZ3 bomba" brings flashbacks to the "GT5 bomba". Never change, GAF.

Well, that was hopexschadenfreude from some people purposedly ignoring racing games have been doomed in the US for ages, this is a hyped shooting game instead, it can be safely labeled as "bomba".

Majine

Banned
Where is the software that drives all these 360 hardware sales? I only see 1 Wii and 1 PS3 exclusive on that list.

Kinect obviously is boosting the 360 sales up, but 360 has been gaining momentum ever since Modern Warfare 2 came out. I think it is reasonable to assume that CoD has become rather mainstream, and that is also has become mainstream with the XBOX label. People want to play CoD because they hear their friends talking about/playing it, and they buy a 360 for it.

Elios83 said:
"Last month's big seller was the 250 gigabyte Xbox system bundled a Kinect sensor (for $400), but Sony's PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's Wii also saw sales grow during the month, NPD said."

Seems like it was a particularly good February.
# Wii > 397,900
# PS3 > 360,100

Ok now this confirms it. Tax season right?

Gravijah

Monty Mole said:
Really has been a crazy generation.

I remember all those articles in 2008 about how the 360 had already peaked and that PS3 was poised to take the crown from the Wii in the long-run.

And 2009, and 2010.

Canova

Banned
how can people say LBP2 and KZ3 bombed, when they have to go toe to toe with combined sku numbers? (except for that wii dance game)

Pooya

Update:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-game-sales-get-a-boost-in-february-/1?csp=34

Sales of video game hardware in February propelled industry sales to a surprising improvement over last year, according to The NPD Group's monthly sales data.

Most analysts expected a decline in sales of games and console systems. Software sales did fall 5% below sales in February 2010 -- still a slightly better performance than expected. But all the three console systems saw increased sales.

"Within the video games industry, the console segment of the market was up 12% in dollar sales across hardware, software, accessories, and game cards while the portable segment of the market declined versus February 2010 by 27%," says NPD's Anita Frazier. "We are looking for the portable segment of the market to rebound beginning later this month when the highly anticipated 3DS launches in the U.S. on March 27th. Seven days of sales will be included when we release our March sales results on April 14th."

And Call of Duty: Black Ops became the best-selling game in history, topping Wii Play, Frazier says.

"The best-selling hardware system of the month was the Xbox 360 which had its biggest non-holiday (November/December) sales month ever, surpassing September 2007 when Halo 3 launched.," Frazier says. "The 250 GB system bundled with the Kinect sensor was one of the drivers of the increase in average selling price among console hardware."

All three console systems realized a unit sales increase over last February and a unit sales increase over January 2011, NPD says.

Breaking down the console growth, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 up about 25% in sales (dollar value) and the Wii up 15%, compared to last year, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

Total industry sales rose 3% to $1.36 billion, compared to $1.33 billion in February 2010. Sales of video game hardware rose 10% ($467 million vs. $426 million), while software dropped ($601 million vs. $634 million). Video game accessories continued to rise, thanks to Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's PlayStation Move products ($257 million vs. $210 million).

"The big surprise to me is that hardware ticked up," Pachter says. "Maybe the recession really is over. People don't buy software because there is money burning a hole in their pocket. But they actually would buy hardware. Most recent jobs data show a slight uptick in jobs. Maybe consumer confidence is coming back. ... It has to be either that there's a change in NPD methodology or it is a reasonable signal that consumer confidence is back."

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Would MW2's 600k combined (360 + PS3) last year, be a good baseline to guess the upper limit?

360 hardware is pretty insane. Still a bit behind the February record of 750k that the Wii did in 09.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea I agree with everyone, that 360 number is fuckin big. I would have never expected it.

Top Bottom