• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

Kusagari

KZ3 DID bomb relative to expectations. There is no way in hell Bulletstorm should have outsold it especially because I guarantee 75%+ of those Bulletstorm sales are from 360.

Grecco

Diebuster said:
Surprised at the lack of Kinect titles. I guess new owners are satisfied with just Kinect Adventures?

Id be stunned if a significant part of the Zumba sales arent the 360 Kinect sku.

Majine said:
Where is the software that drives all these 360 hardware sales? I only see 1 Wii and 1 PS3 exclusive on that list.

kinect-3.jpg

I think it's about time some people start noticing it.

Amir0x said:
well damn. Remarkable how Microsoft turned their fate around with that Kinect device. Gotta hand it to them, they really banked on the casuals innate desire to be turned by gimmickry. I knew with the 500,000,000 they would have a success on their hand, but this level of success is nuts.

So many interesting stories about how consoles can turn their fates around this gen.

Well... it wasn't only thanks to the casual audience. Right now the 360 is in a great position thanks to the great price, great online service, but specially, a great library of games, both retail and digital.

user friendly said:
BS outsold it....

True but that was on 3 platforms. Killzone 3 is exclusive to PS3, people forget this when they see it at #8 on the list. Plus it was out for 1 week. If anything Bulletstorm is the bomb because it's on 3 platforms and debuts at position 7.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Must be Kinect and the Amazon glitch that EviLore and others luckily got of the 250GB 360 Slim w/ Kinect for $150.00 lol

Half a mil+ in a short ass month is very impressive for the 360

Figured KZ3 wouldn't even crack the top 5, was hoping BulletStorm be higher due to Gears of War 3 Beta shipped with first run copies

Let see if this humbles Sony & GG, hopefully KZ gets a rest, that game needed another BETA, and 6+ months more polish (MP speaking-wise)

Grecco

antonz said:
Dancing Genre will implode far faster than the Music one I imagine.

Ubisoft alone releases multiple Just Dance skus (Just Dance, Just Dance Broadway) and Michael Jackson. So yeah.

Appollowexx said:
True but that was on 3 platforms. Killzone 3 is exclusive to PS3, people forget this when they see it at #8 on the list. Plus it was out for 1 week. If anything Bulletstorm is the bomb because it's on 3 platforms and debuts at position 7.
I'd like to see the breakdown of platforms then but I'd guess at least 80% goes to the 360. Either way KZ3 bombed, kind of surprised.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
COD Kinect coming up

user friendly said:
I'd like to see the breakdown of platforms then but I'd guess at least 80% goes to the 360. Either way KZ3 bombed, kind of surprised.
I bet it does well in Euroland, but I'm kind of happy it didn't sell great.

That's a great 360 number, but not unprecedented. There are several February numbers from past years (6, to be exact) with a system that sold better. What's crazy about it is how old the 360 is. Although the PS2 did slightly better it's fifth February (slim launch).

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Well... it wasn't only thanks to the casual audience. Right now the 360 is in a great position thanks to the great price, great online service, but specially, a great library of games, both retail and digital.

I would argue that the sales of Kinect were largely driven by a flush in casuals. If the hardcore was doing it, Microsoft 360 would have been #1 for a long time.

Now, with the Kinect-oriented 360 future, the system holds virtually no appeal for a self-respecting hardcore member in the current announced lineup. The lineup is abysmal. Gears of War 3 and maybe Forza.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Amir0x said:
well damn. Remarkable how Microsoft turned their fate around with that Kinect device. Gotta hand it to them, they really banked on the casuals innate desire to be turned by gimmickry. I knew with the 500,000,000 they would have a success on their hand, but this level of success is nuts.

So many interesting stories about how consoles can turn their fates around this gen.

I'm not meaning to single you out but your post suggests that Kinect is all gimmick/no-substance and I strongly disagree. Kinect is (imo) an amazing add-on to the Xbox 360, and deserves EVERY single sale because the pontential and plain-out fun it brings to gaming is fricken mind-blowing! More games like Kinect Sports and Dance Central will be welcomed by me with open arms.

I applaud you Microsoft. Nintendo, time to step it up on the home-console front.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Luckyman said:
Next-gen just got shifted to 2015..
Unfortunately for Microsoft, they actually haven't been shooting way up in Europe, which presents them with the issue of deciding whether to run entirely on one territory's success, or go for both Western territories with a new system.

Breaking down the console growth, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 up about 25% in sales (dollar value) and the Wii up 15%, compared to last year, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

Well, if we don't get solid hardware numbers from Nintendo and Sony, we can at least approximate it with these percentages and last year's numbers.

Activision must simply be laughing at EA and Respawn Entertainment right now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Appollowexx said:
Bulletstorm outsold KZ3. Fact.

You can argue who, what, when, why, how all you like. The fact is, Bulletstorm outsold Killzone 3. Doesn't matter which way you slice it.

Them the facts.

Amir0x

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
I'm not meaning to single you out but your post suggests that Kinect is all gimmick/no-substance and I strongly disagree. Kinect is (imo) an amazing add-on to the Xbox 360, and deserves EVERY single sale because the pontential and plain-out fun it brings to gaming is fricken mind-blowing! More games like Kinect Sports and Dance Central will be welcomed by me with open arms.

I applaud you Microsoft. Nintendo, time to step it up on the home-console front.

I just don't like sub-par control systems with infuriating lag that have virtually no realistic application in 99.9% of all genres. You know, I like actual control in my games. Not giant leap backwards in time.

But that's just me. CLEARLY, that's just me.

Kyoufu

Darkshier said:
Insane 360 sales, wonder what the attach rate for the console is now. Black Ops becoming the highest selling game ever is just nutty.

I bet Treyarch think they are amazing developers.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
cjelly said:
Bulletstorm outsold KZ3. Fact.

You can argue who, what, when, why, how all you like. The fact is, Bulletstorm outsold Killzone 3. Doesn't matter which way you slice it.

Them the facts.

wow, you ok mate?

GavinGT

Banned
Nirolak said:
Software:

1.) Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision Blizzard: 360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) [Now the best selling game in the U.S. ever]
2.) Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds (Capcom: 360, PS3)
3.) Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft: Wii)
4.) NBA 2K11 (Take-Two: 360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC)
5.) Dead Space 2 (EA: 360, PS3, PC)
6.) Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Majesco: WII, 360, PS3)
7.) Bulletstorm (EA: 360, PS3, PC)
8.) Killzone 3 (Sony: PS3)
9.) Michael Jackson The Experience (Ubisoft: WII, DS, PSP)
10.) Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo: WII)

Hardware:

Xbox 360: 535,000 (+27%) [Top Console, 360's Best Non-Holiday Month Ever]

Other Info:

WOW at everything.

gogogow

2 Years ago March NPD 2009:

7.) KILLZONE 2 (Sony PS3) 296.000

Pretty similar. Were people expecting KZ3 to be at no.1 or something lol. It's just not a very popular franchise. Sony should let it go.

Paracelsus

Breaking down the console growth, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 up about 25% in sales (dollar value) and the Wii up 15%, compared to last year, says Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter.

Total industry sales rose 3% to $1.36 billion, compared to $1.33 billion in February 2010. Sales of video game hardware rose 10% ($467 million vs. $426 million), while software dropped ($601 million vs. $634 million). Video game accessories continued to rise, thanks to Microsoft's Kinect and Sony's PlayStation Move products ($257 million vs. $210 million).

What the.

Does the Move cost 199$ apiece in the US or something?

Grecco

Amir0x said:
I would argue that the sales of Kinect were largely driven by a flush in casuals. If the hardcore was doing it, Microsoft 360 would have been #1 for a long time.

Now, with the Kinect-oriented 360 future, the system holds virtually no appeal for a self-respecting hardcore member in the current announced lineup. The lineup is abysmal. Gears of War 3 and maybe Forza.

The era where first party matters is over. There are multiple hardcore games with 360 Skus on this months NPDs. Its just that they are multiplataform.

Microsoft realized this years ago when they cut bait on so many of their studios. Its a third party world, and having the better versions of those games matters more.

Elios83

PS3 should be at 450k, Wii at 456k for the month, really impressive.

Edit:LOL my predictions are completely fucked but I'm happy for the industry. With such healthy sales and still a round of important price drops to be made.....we can forget next gen before 2013.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nirolak said:
Unfortunately for Microsoft, they actually haven't been shooting way up in Europe, which presents them with the issue of deciding whether to run entirely on one territory's success, or go for both Western territories with a new system.
Kind of like the PSP...almost exactly really.

Ridley327

06nbarnhill said:
.....Dance Dance Revolution?

Seems like its lasted plenty long.
DDR has the advantage of being a niche game for a small yet dedicated audience. It doesn't need to put up crazy numbers to be worth it for Konami.

For that matter, I don't think any dance game needs to put up crazy numbers to be worth it; they're cheap and easy to make. I don't think there's remotely as much risk involved as there was for the plastic instrument games.

obonicus

Leondexter said:
I said it in the prediction thread, and I'll say it here: If placing in the top 10 = bombed, the industry is screwed.

Basically. Especially since this looks like it's a really good month. #3 is 555k.

Top Bottom