• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

Cheech

C4Lukins said:
I thought Dead Space would be more in the 700K range with the hype and the reviews so that is a bit disappointing. I was also hoping Mass Effect 2 would make the top 10, but that was not such a surprise. This is a bit of a scary top 10 considering the types of games I enjoy.

There are certain games that are simply not worth the asking price, regardless of how good they are. Especially if you're a PC gamer with options, I would much rather buy a $20 Amnesia over a $60 Dead Space 2.

And I loved the first Dead Space. I look forward to playing Dead Space 2 when the price drops to reasonable levels.

Cheech

Class_A_Ninja said:
Where is this news that no one can sell out there preorders? I've never heard of sellers "running out of preorders" ever, and I chalked this up to retailers taking as many preorders as they could at all times. If they take too many, then their preorders are just a list of people who get the systems each shipment.

What? It happens all the time. Gamestop is especially careful about it, they really took it up the tailpipe on the 360. You had people trashing them across the Internet for MONTHS because they grossly oversold preorders.

Believe me, they have a hard allocation from Nintendo on the 3DS. And it's not sold out.

bill0527

Cheech said:
What? It happens all the time. Gamestop is especially careful about it, they really took it up the tailpipe on the 360. You had people trashing them across the Internet for MONTHS because they grossly oversold preorders.

Believe me, they have a hard allocation from Nintendo on the 3DS. And it's not sold out.

I really hope you are not joking about Gamestop.

I pre-ordered and paid in full for my Xbox 360 in July of 2005. I got a call the night before launch telling me that I was #13 on the list and they were only getting 4 systems. And they had no idea when they would be getting more.

That pretty much burned me on pre-ordering forever. I decided that in the future I will either camp overnight at a store or just wait until supply catches up with demand and they are readily available.

The night Gamestop called me and told me I wasn't getting my 360 after they sat on my money for months, was the night I gave serious thought to committing felony arson.

1-D_FTW

The e-tailors have historically only sold as many pre-orders as they were getting.

The Wii on amazon, for instance, only had it's pre-order open for a very short period (think it was hours). Once they'd sold through all their allotment, they shut the link down.

It wasn't open for a month like the 3DS has been. And all the other e-tailers are the same. They know what their allocations are going to be and the pre-orders are for the launch day shipments.

Physical stores are a different matter and always have been. They operate under different rules of what's acceptable and what isn't.

FrankT

While Microsoft was happy to boast about US Xbox 360 sales in January, Nintendo and Sony chose not to release hardware sales figures for the month.

But analyst Michael Pachter - who holds what we're sure is a pretty expensive subscription for NPD data - said in a research note today that monthly PS3 and Wii sales were both down compared to January 2010.

According to the Wedbush man, there were 319,000 Wiis sold in the US last month, down 31 percent year-over-year, and 267,000 PS3s sold, down three percent year-over-year.

Xbox 360 was the top selling console, shifting 381,000 units, and Pachter said over half of the total were Kinect bundles.

Sony responded to last night's NPD results with a statement focusing on PS3 software momentum, while Nintendo has opted not to comment.

Pachter also told CNET that DS sold 350,000 units in January, representing a 17 percent year-over-year decline, while PSP sold 80,000 units, down 20 percent from January 2010

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289712/news/wii-and-ps3-sales-declined-in-january/

DS 350K
Wii 319K
PS3 267K
PSP 80K

Over half of the 360s sold were Kinect bundles. Sounds a bit more than the last two months. Which was right at ~50%.

Rolf NB

Kenka said:
Time to shift to the Media Create threads.

NPD ruining the party is really something I regret.
You can only regret something you did (or failed to do) yourself. Are you saying that you are NPD?

edit: Wow, comprehensive. I'm surprised MS really let the opportunity slide to tout best selling games system for the month.

Party over, move along.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
It wouldn't surprise me if they (PS3) are down YoY, as others have said I feel that the price is becoming a barrier in terms of keeping up sales momentum atm, also what with the 360 increasing in sales it also makes the PS3 sales seem worse than they actually are, I think that considering we're entering the 6th year of this generation the PS3 is doing well at it's current price point.

Baki

Sohter.Nura said:
Their only tout was increased software by 25%.

I highly doubt it :p I think they were down YoY.

That would be surprising considering the $50 gift-card promotions. I think SCE may be forced to slash the PS3 by $50 before summer.

Jtyettis said:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/289712/news/wii-and-ps3-sales-declined-in-january/

DS 350K
Wii 319K
PS3 267K
PSP 80K

Over half of the 360s sold were Kinect bundles. Sounds a bit more than the last two months. Which was right at ~50%.

So basically flat YoY for Sony and 31% decline for the Wii. Sony was still worse-off during this month. Looks like 360 supply was not as bad as I first thought. Too bad for Sony, they could have possibly capitalised on 360 shortages.

That said, price cut needs to happen before summer. $50 should be doable at this point.

Software is definitely blooming on the platform though and 25% increase yoy is impressive.

Cheech

bill0527 said:
I really hope you are not joking about Gamestop.

I pre-ordered and paid in full for my Xbox 360 in July of 2005. I got a call the night before launch telling me that I was #13 on the list and they were only getting 4 systems. And they had no idea when they would be getting more.

That pretty much burned me on pre-ordering forever. I decided that in the future I will either camp overnight at a store or just wait until supply catches up with demand and they are readily available.

The night Gamestop called me and told me I wasn't getting my 360 after they sat on my money for months, was the night I gave serious thought to committing felony arson.

No, not in the slightest. My buddy preordered his 360 in MAY of that year, and he didn't get his 360 until January.

He was calling Gamestop corporate and the district manager like a man possessed.

In the meantime, in mid-December I took a day off of work to go to Home Depot to get some drywall patch shit and fix a hole in the wall my wife had been bugging me about. On a lark, I went to Circuit City next door, and was poking around. I asked one of the hoons in back when he was expecting some 360s, and he said that it just so happened that they got 2 pro systems in that day, but they wouldn't be unpacked until that afternoon.

I put my $400 down immediately, and came back and got my 360 at 5. I called my buddy, who then proceeded to march down to Gamestop and actually started just berating people he was so upset.

I never did get that drywall hole patched until months later.

FrankT

Nirolak said:
That's his research note from Monday, not the final sales.

That says research note from today and those figures do not jive with thesel

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter estimates that Microsoft sold 380,000 Xbox 360 units in January, besting the rest of the market and rising 14 percent over its January 2010 sales. Pachter said he believes Nintendo tallied 320,000 unit sales in January, down 31 percent year over year. Sony once again came in third place in Pachter's January estimate with 240,000 PlayStation 3 units sold on the month. That figure is down 13 percent compared to January 2010.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20031783-17.html#ixzz1EK6yezYU

Well at least the PS3 figure anyways. 240K versus 267K

Nirolak said:
That's his research note from Monday, not the final sales.

The numbers are different:
380,000 Xbox 360 units in January, besting the rest of the market and rising 14 percent over its January 2010 sales. Pachter said he believes Nintendo tallied 320,000 unit sales in January, down 31 percent year over year. Sony once again came in third place in Pachter's January estimate with 240,000 PlayStation 3
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20031783-17.html
According to the Wedbush man, there were 319,000 Wiis sold in the US last month, down 31 percent year-over-year, and 267,000 PS3s sold, down three percent year-over-year.

Xbox 360 was the top selling console, shifting 381,000 units, and Pachter said over half of the total were Kinect bundles.

Rolf NB

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
It had a $50 price drop and two exclusives released in January.
Price drop, what? And what's the second exclusive (if the first is LBP2), are you counting Dead Space Extraction?

lowrider007

Jtyettis said:

It seems that Kinect is definitely having a positive impact on 360 sales then, tbh I'm quite surprised at how well Kinect has done really.

Rolf NB said:
Price drop, what? And what's the second exclusive (if the first is LBP2), are you counting Dead Space Extraction?

DCUO was sort of an exclusive. Every store this month sold the PS3 with a $50 gift card. (Yes, I'll bring this up next month as well for the Wii sales since it got a $20 price drop in February from retailers)

Baki

Wii still selling healthy amounts, Xbox 360 doing its best ever performance and the PS3 looks staggered when compared to both these behemoths.

lowrider007 said:
It seems that Kinect is definitely having a positive impact on 360 sales then, tbh I'm quite surprised at how well Kinect has done really.
It's too bad that Move seems to be doing so poorly that Sony is highly unlikely to blab about its numbers to date.

Meier

Yowch at the Wii. Nintendo has to do something...

tumblr_lfk5rkZGWR1qavcmoo1_500.png

"RE-DESIGN IT, YOU FOOLS!"

Baki

MightyHedgehog said:
It's too bad that Move seems to be doing so poorly that Sony is highly unlikely to blab about its numbers to date.

MS has successfully extended the life of their platform while Sony still relies on their current lifeline. Interesting times, I tell ya!

Rolf NB

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
DCUO was sort of an exclusive. Every store this month sold the PS3 with a $50 gift card. (Yes, I'll bring this up next month as well for the Wii sales since it got a $20 price drop in February from retailers)
Ouch, completely forgot about DCUO, my bad.

I wouldn't call gift cards and price drops the same if only because price drops are permanent, while gift card deals are not. It's better to be accurate about it.

Baki said:
Wii still selling healthy amounts, Xbox 360 doing its best ever performance and the PS3 looks staggered when compared to both these behemoths.
The Playstation 3 needs a price drop which is funny considering the Xbox 360 hasn't dropped its price in years.

lowrider007

RSTEIN said:
I have the numbers.

"PS3s sold (down 3% y-o-y)"

Better than I thought tbh, @ only 3 percent down YoY @ it's current price point I doubt Sony well be unhappy with those numbers.

I have a feeling that only the 360 will come out of 2011 with something moderate to boost about. Going to be a year when console sales go down like crazy I think.

Top Bottom