• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

FrankT

NemesisPrime said:
I have a feeling that only the 360 will come out of 2011 with something moderate to boost about. Going to be a year when console sales go down like crazy I think.

All 3 will see price drops this year it's just a matter of how much. Will PS3 go to $199? Will both Wii and 360 hit the $149 point?

Jonsoncao

Banned
lowrider007 said:
"PS3s sold (down 3% y-o-y)"

Better than I thought tbh, @ only 3 percent down YoY @ it's current price point I doubt Sony well be unhappy with those numbers.
During January, many retailers were promoting PS3, $50 GC mostly

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
RSTEIN said:
Wedbush:

"PS3 software sales would benefit immensely from a hardware price cut, expected in June."

Interesting, E3 price cut then.

Jonsoncao said:
During January, many retailers were promoting PS3, $50 GC mostly

I'm dubious as to how much impact this has compared to a real price drop tbh.

Jtyettis said:
All 3 will see price drops this year it's just a matter of how much. Will PS3 go to $199? Will both Wii and 360 hit the $149 point?

That might boost sales but lower profit. In the end I think this generation will now slowly burn out until we get new toys (except for Kinect it seems).

Baki

Megadragon15 said:
The Playstation 3 needs a price drop which is funny considering the Xbox 360 hasn't dropped its price in years.

Well to be fair, the only other option would be to find a way to make MOVE relative to the mass market. That ship has pretty much sailed so there next goal is to price-drop to make the PS3 a better package for core-consumers than the Xbox 360.

While for now, the Xbox 360 has extended it's sales spectrum to the Wii market thanks to the recent success of Kinect. They've essentially relaunched their platform. Not to mention they offer a $199 entry point for core-consumers.

Jtyettis said:
I'm thinking Nintendo would be quite happy to drop the Wii price after the 3ds launch, with the 3ds as theirnew premium product and the Wii as their budget one

Elios83

At this point we can say that Kinect has done really well for Microsoft in the US, effectively boosting sales and extending the life cycle of the console.
Nintendo is in a downward spiral which in my opinion can't be stopped without a new product, they can only slow their decline with a price drop.
Sony is doing the same numbers of last year while enjoying better software sales, for this year they have the massive 199$ card to play which will do wonders for the PS3 and the NGP launch so I think they'll have an exciting year.

lowrider007

NemesisPrime said:
That might boost sales but lower profit. In the end I think this generation will now slowly burn out until we get new toys (except for Kinect it seems).

I agree with this, I don't think we're going to see any drastic price cuts this generation, I can't see the PS3 dropping more than $50 (this year) and if the 360 continues it's momentum it wouldn't surprise me if they only have a very marginal price drop this year on the top end sku or Kinect bundle only.

Baki said:
Well to be fair, the only other option would be to find a way to make MOVE relative to the mass market. That ship has pretty much sailed so there next goal is to price-drop to make the PS3 a better package for core-consumers than the Xbox 360.
Unless E3 turns things around, I think Move is a failure that Sony helped to make happen through their weak strategy of focusing on optional/tacked-on use and very dated niche games (light gun shooters). Perhaps there was nothing Sony could do to make it successful (relative to Kinect) as it still comes off as a highly derivative interface knocking off the most successful stock controller this generation (Wii). Thing seems destined for clearance town unless something especially amazing is due up soon.

FrankT

frankie_baby said:
I'm thinking Nintendo would be quite happy to drop the Wii price after the 3ds launch, with the 3ds as theirnew premium product and the Wii as their budget one

I could see that. Ride it out to the Wii 2. I think Wii 2 will happen by fall 2012 at this point. As for the PS3, I could certainly see a slim-slim from Sony this year, maybe even $199. As for 360, I definitely see some new SKUs dropping after E3 plus price cut. They did some amazing timing with the 360 S last year it pretty much worked perfectly. I also believe MS has to recognize the value of fresh hardware revisions going forward since the launch of the S.

I was thinking 2013 for a long time for the next Xbox HW, but I'm thinking at least 2014 now. If either Sony or MS want to hit that fall 2013 window the ramp up has to be soon. Nothing really points to that happening as of now and this really could be a full 10 year generation from these two. The costs of putting out a new home console for either two is going to be a serious factor moving forward based on what we know this gen.

KingDizzi

Banned
Still think the best time for Move is coming in the future, been saying that from the time software support was announced. Absolute shit out there at the moment for the Move but we're starting to see the good software for it such as LBP2 (patch not out yet) and Killzone 3 which is being heavily advertised with move support. Fair enough if by the end of the year there is no improvement but I don't see anything besides there being an increase in sales for it. Was expecting a price cut during August time so around about E3 sounds good, my guess is $50. There is a big difference between being $250 compared to $300 with a gift card, I guess balls will shatter when there is an increase in sales when the price drop comes.

Wish it was sooner though, Killzone 3 is looking mint as is inFamous 2 while I just don't care for Uncharted or any Ueda crap.

Meier

Paracelsus said:
3DS is basically a portable Wii, do you want another portable Wii?
It's not what I care about, it's what they need. The system is dying but a re-design has been proven time and time again to extend a system's life. It's been needed for over a year now and the fact they are just sitting idly by as the numbers decline precipitously everywhere is stunning.

lowrider007

Jtyettis said:
I could certainly see a slim-slim from Sony this year, maybe even $199.

A slimmer slim would be crazy (good), it's the only way I could see them having a large price-drop by downscaling with cheaper components again but personally I don't think we're going to see an 'extra slim' PS3 any time soon, I would love to see one though.

KingDizzi said:
Still think the best time for Move is coming in the future, been saying that from the time software support was announced. Absolute shit out there at the moment for the Move but we're starting to see the good software for it such as LBP2 (patch not out yet) and Killzone 3 which is being heavily advertised with move support. Fair enough if by the end of the year there is no improvement but I don't see anything besides there being an increase in sales for it. Was expecting a price cut during August time so around about E3 sounds good, my guess is $50. There is a big difference between being $250 compared to $300 with a gift card, I guess balls will shatter when there is an increase in sales when the price drop comes.

Wish it was sooner though, Killzone 3 is looking mint as is inFamous 2 while I just don't care for Uncharted or any Ueda crap.

Sony doesn't care at all about the Move, it's never going to succeed and they won't talk about it at all by e3.

BowieZ

Banned
A warning: Nintendo has so many tricks left up its sleeve. $149 this year, $99 next year, new colors (blue, lime, yellow, pink/purple, gold), Zelda (and a spattering of other first party titles and translations) an Olympics game, and possibly Wii Relax or Wii Test. 'Slim' chance of a redesign too.

To still sell 320,000 while the Kinect craze is at its peak (380,000), Nintendo is in a pretty enviable position.

MightyHedgehog said:
Unless E3 turns things around, I think Move is a failure that Sony helped to make happen through their weak strategy of focusing on optional/tacked-on use and very dated niche games (light gun shooters). Perhaps there was nothing Sony could do to make it successful (relative to Kinect) as it still comes off as a highly derivative interface knocking off the most successful stock controller this generation (Wii). Thing seems destined for clearance town unless something especially amazing is due up soon.

Move is doing nothing for Sony and Sony doesn't seem to be really interested in it anyway. I think they just made it because they "had to" (and that seems to be the case with their mobile things as well). I think they should focus on the PS3 a bit more, it has been neglected IMHO.

lowrider007

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Sony doesn't care at all about the Move, it's never going to succeed and they won't talk about it at all by e3.

Sony don't care at all about the move? are you serious? I can guarantee they will be touting move support with up and coming core PS3 titles @ E3.

Mael

Jtyettis said:
Compare that to MW2 585k last January I'm impressed. Series does not stop.

Well if the last hoyday wasn't proof enough this should settle the whole crying over IW's drama.
As far as shareholders were concerned ATVI was right in treating IW the way they did.
And by right I mean if right means more money for ATVI

Jtyettis said:
I could see that. Ride it out to the Wii 2. I think Wii 2 will happen by fall 2012 at this point. As for the PS3, I could certainly see a slim-slim from Sony this year, maybe even $199. As for 360, I definitely see some new SKUs dropping after E3 plus price cut. They did some amazing timing with the 360 S last year it pretty much worked perfectly. I also believe MS has to recognize the value of fresh hardware revisions going forward since the launch of the S.

I was thinking 2013 for a long time for the next Xbox HW, but I'm thinking at least 2014 now. If either Sony or MS want to hit that fall 2013 window the ramp up has to be soon. Nothing really points to that happening as of now and this really could be a full 10 year generation from these two. The costs of putting out a new home console for either two is going to be a serious factor moving forward based on what we know this gen.
could Sony really get down even with a slim slim to $199? One of these days they are actually gonna want to actually make a profit on the hardware

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

It's so strange how people talk about the Move like it's a colossal failure. I know it's not a great indication of anything, but it's been topping the Amazon.co.uk video games sales charts all week now, and it's only really been out of the top 40 when sold out since launch. People are clearly buying them, is my point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsell...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=102P0QG1N95NFXZD9NG0

Are the circumstances really that different in North America?

tzare

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Or that Sony overestimated demand of it so there were lots on store shelves and that they bundled it with almost everything (LBP is currently being bundled with the PS3 controller).

what is the problem with bundling? most first party games end up being bundled and sell much because of that. That includes games like Halo , Uncharted or Forza too.

Jtyettis said:
Compare that to MW2 585k last January I'm impressed. Series does not stop.

Two platforms compared to five (Admittedly, the other three aren't as important to the series' success, but those three SKUs still do decent numbers)

Sony don't care at all about the move? are you serious? I can guarantee they will be touting move support with up and coming core PS3 titles @ E3.

Uncharted 3 doesn't support it, Resistance 3 probably won't support it, no major third-party game that I can think of supports it either. That really doesn't seem like Sony is going all out or trying at all with the device.

Paracelsus

lowrider007 said:

Wii is a lion, Kinect is another lion trying to take its place, Move is a jackal trying to feed himself with the leftovers of the first lion.

dvolovets

BowieZ said:
A warning: Nintendo has so many tricks left up its sleeve. $149 this year, $99 next year, new colors (blue, lime, yellow, pink/purple, gold), Zelda (and a spattering of other first party titles and translations) an Olympics game, and possibly Wii Relax or Wii Test. 'Slim' chance of a redesign too.

To still sell 320,000 while the Kinect craze is at its peak (380,000), Nintendo is in a pretty enviable position.
Yup. I laugh when I read anything about Nintendo being "in trouble" at this point. Hyperbole at its finest. Everything can happen, of course, but simply pointing at the Wii's declining sales means nothing. The console started off selling astronomical amounts, of course it's going to level off eventually...

FrankT

frankie_baby said:
could Sony really get down even with a slim slim to $199? One of these days they are actually gonna want to actually make a profit on the hardware

Well I think they have been since mid spring 2010. At least according to them and who knows how much now. I guess the bigger question is how much can they cut to keep it at least break even from launch.

Meier said:
It's not what I care about, it's what they need. The system is dying but a re-design has been proven time and time again to extend a system's life. It's been needed for over a year now and the fact they are just sitting idly by as the numbers decline precipitously everywhere is stunning.
I think dying is a strong word here for a system still selling 300k+ in January. That said, I agree -- they should have another iteration ready very soon if they are wise, which they are, right?

Mael

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Two platforms compared to five.

Don't you mean 3 or 4?
nspace did last year DS CoD and did this year too.
Pc version existed on both CoD.
The only real difference here is the Wii version.

Horns

Just curious, can Wedbush Morgan release these numbers? I thought the new NPD numbers were for the console makers only and up to them to share.

Shurs

BowieZ said:

Not trolling, but I see the "new colors" thing mentioned all the time. Is it a joke?

People would actually either trade in their old console and buy a new one because of a color change or have been waiting to get a Wii once it came in Aqua Blue? I know a few people would do this, but I couldn't imagine that it would be a sizable enough group where it would have any meaningful impact on sales.

FrankT

Horns said:
Just curious, can Wedbush Morgan release these numbers? I thought the new NPD numbers were for the console makers only and up to them to share.

He's done it before. I guess if there was a real issue he would have stopped by now.

Mael said:
Don't you mean 3 or 4?
nspace did last year DS CoD and did this year too.
Pc version existed on both CoD.
The only real difference here is the Wii version.

The person I was quoting was only counting the sales of the PS3 and 360 versions (Since they were the only versions that had numbers released)

Top Bottom