• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For January 2011 [Up4: Analyst Data (Lots Of Games)]

KingDizzi said:
Still think the best time for Move is coming in the future, been saying that from the time software support was announced. Absolute shit out there at the moment for the Move but we're starting to see the good software for it such as LBP2 (patch not out yet) and Killzone 3 which is being heavily advertised with move support. Fair enough if by the end of the year there is no improvement but I don't see anything besides there being an increase in sales for it. Was expecting a price cut during August time so around about E3 sounds good, my guess is $50. There is a big difference between being $250 compared to $300 with a gift card, I guess balls will shatter when there is an increase in sales when the price drop comes.

Wish it was sooner though, Killzone 3 is looking mint as is inFamous 2 while I just don't care for Uncharted or any Ueda crap.
If Sony really wants to increase Move sales, they need a version of Just Dance ASAP. There's something to be said about striking while the iron is hot, and MS was fortunate to get Dance Central. Plugging it into core games is great for people like us, but will do little to draw new customers.

Hammer24 said:
Uhmm, I don´t think I get your drift. Its only on one platform (at least that I´m aware of), so how to make an arithmetic error?

"DKCR sold x% less than the yk I was expecting" has math in it and could be done incorrectly.

If Sony really wants to increase Move sales, they need a version of Just Dance ASAP. There's something to be said about striking while the iron is hot, and MS was fortunate to get Dance Central. Plugging it into core games is great for people like us, but will do little to draw new customers.

The last time they moneyhatted Ubisoft for casual games (Back in 2009, they got Petz, My _ Coach, and Imagine onto the PSP), it was a hilarious and massive failure.

tzare

Uncharted 3 doesn't support it, Resistance 3 probably won't support it, no major third-party game that I can think of supports it either. That really doesn't seem like Sony is going all out or trying at all with the device.
i think Killzone 3 and Socom 4 are big games that support move. Not everything has to be move centered. Unlike kinect which seems like a system relaunch for MS, move is important, but not that much for sony.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Paracelsus said:
Wii is a lion, Kinect is another lion trying to take its place, Move is a jackal trying to feed himself with the leftovers of the first lion.

Maybe but I don't think that means Sony doesn't care about the Move, Move is the only motion controller that is compatible with next generation or rather current gen HD 'core' games atm, that is their 'shtick' and I still think it could pay off in terms of profits at least if they can get more support from third parties, KZ3 is the first proper core FPS title to support the motion controller and the game hasn't even been released yet, I think calling the Move a complete failure at this point is a little premature.

BowieZ

Banned
Shurs said:
Not trolling, but I see the "new colors" thing mentioned all the time. Is it a joke?

People would actually either trade in their old console and buy a new one because of a color change or have been waiting to get a Wii once it came in Aqua Blue? I know a few people would do this, but I couldn't imagine that it would be a sizable enough group where it would have any meaningful impact on sales.
Take for instance my brother. He's been living with me and my Wii for a few months now. He's moving out elsewhere soon. If he saw a new range of colors advertised on TV for US$149, he would probably buy a blue one for the convenience, and to show off.

lowrider007 said:
Maybe but I don't think that means Sony doesn't care about the Move, Move is the only motion controller that is compatible with next generation or rather current gen HD 'core' games atm, that is their 'shtick' and I still think it could pay off in terms of profits at least if they can get more support from third parties, KZ3 is the first proper core FPS title to support the motion controller and the game hasn't even been released yet, I think calling the Move a complete failure at this point is a little premeditated.
Don't you mean premature?

Dabanton

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Indeed Dance Central is now looking like a killer app for Kinect.

Carl

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Uncharted 3 doesn't support it, Resistance 3 probably won't support it, no major third-party game that I can think of supports it either. That really doesn't seem like Sony is going all out or trying at all with the device.

Uncharted 3 doesn't support it because Naughty Dog don't think it would fit. Sony isn't forcing any of their devs to do anything they don't want to do.

And R3 is still TBD on Move support, so saying it probably won't support it is a bit silly.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't think Move is a success or a failure, but I do know that lots of people seem to be incapable of understanding that there is a middle point between success and failure.

And more importantly, we don't have Move accessory sales, only the bundle w/PS3 sales, which is a pretty crap deal. I'd hold judgment until we get actual numbers from NPD or shipped numbers from Sony.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Not going to happen. Playstation Move is D.O.A. A port of a game that's been in existence on the highest marketshare console for 2 years will change nothing.

Behold your Wii HD people.

Mael

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
The person I was quoting was only counting the sales of the PS3 and 360 versions (Since they were the only versions that had numbers released)

Even then I'm pretty sure the DS version is not counted here (separate name and all that) and I doubt that the pc version of that game did much in the US but I could be wrong (looking at the split in the EU of all places lead me to think that pc is no big market for CoD in NA).
Which leave us with 3 vs 2. AND the reason there's only 2 version of MW anyway is because IW couldn't be bothered to make a version on Wii due to their own lazyness anyway (why lazyness? because apparently with minimal budget Treyarch was able to port the very 1rst MW with no pb at all).

DMeisterJ said:
I don't think Move is a success or a failure, but I do know that lots of people seem to be incapable of understanding that there is a middle point between success and failure.

sony has been thoroughly exploring the area between success and failure for half a decade now and even they don't fully understand it

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hi everyone sorry for any mistakes I was literally running out the door to go to a doctors appt. I will mine for more data when I get home.

DMeisterJ said:

And more importantly, we don't have Move accessory sales, only the bundle w/PS3 sales, which is a pretty crap deal. I'd hold judgment until we get actual numbers from NPD or shipped numbers from Sony.

Playstation Move isn't even helping to break the console even YoY. It's a failure.

DMeisterJ said:

If the bundle isn't selling, it indicates that most of the (albeit unreported) sales are to existing users. Lateral peripheral sales aren't a reliable way to increase software sales, at best it would simply shift existing interest over to Move-compatible titles.

Kinect, at least as far as December, sold nearly 1:1 to new bundles and standalone units.

tzare

DMeisterJ said:

yeah i think move is doing okay. it doesn't need to be a super seller to meet sony's expectations probably, as it uses PSeye, old hw, adn margins are probably high enough.
besides, they are launching the sharp shooter now, a device you will only buy if you have a move or plan to get one, so i guess support is there and sales too.

Paracelsus

DeaconKnowledge said:
Playstation Move isn't even helping to break the console even YoY. It's a failure.

It doesn't help that the original console Move is mimicking is going down by itself, if people are slowly stopping to care about the console that out of the two has arguably the best library for the remote controller then guess what happens with a poorly marketed clone with an absymal bunch of supported games.

Cheech

So, not only does it appear that Move has failed, but that people seem to care more about Kinect than Blu Ray.

Harsh.

TheOddOne

tzare said:
yeah i think move is doing okay. it doesn't need to be a super seller to meet sony's expectations probably, as it uses PSeye, old hw, adn margins are probably high enough.
besides, they are launching the sharp shooter now, a device you will only buy if you have a move or plan to get one, so i guess support is there and sales too.
Not to be too criticial, but like I have said before no way Sony put out move to be ''doing ok''. Nobody releases a product expecting/setting expectations to be just doing ok.

TheOddOne said:
Not to be too criticial, but like I have said before no way Sony put out move to be ''doing ok''.

They put out Move so their shareholders would quit asking them to release a motion control device. They never had passion for it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
They put out Move so their shareholders would quit asking them to release a motion control device. They never had passion for it.
But GAF told me they have been developing this tech since 2002.

Move will be remembered as a steering wheel or arcade stick. A completely optional peripheral for a handful of games. Some people brought it. A few swore by it, the rest never even used it more than a couple of times.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sho_Nuff82 said:
If the bundle isn't selling, it indicates that most of the (albeit unreported) sales are to existing users. Lateral peripheral sales aren't a reliable way to increase software sales, at best it would simply shift existing interest over to Move-compatible titles.

Kinect, at least as far as December, sold nearly 1:1 to new bundles and standalone units.
Maybe that's because the Move bundle is $100 over the normal retail PS3 price, and the Kinect bundle is the same $299 that the 360 has been selling for before Kinect.

The Move bundle is a terrible deal, and consumers know it...there is zero value to it (no money is saved by buying Move/PS3 separate than getting the bundle). Kinect, meanwhile, is like you're getting it for free with the standard bundle. Combine that with a massive marketing campaign and you got yourself a hot ticket item.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
"They spent millions of the shareholders money just to shut them up".

TheOddOne

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
This is bullshit. Sony reacted on whats on the market and tried to get a piece of the pie.
DeaconKnowledge said:
"They spent millions of the shareholders money to shut them up".
This also.

Paracelsus

TheOddOne said:
Not to be too criticial, but like I have said before no way Sony put out move to be ''doing ok''. Nobody releases a product expecting/setting expectations to be just doing ok.

Hasn't Sony said their expectations for NGP are for it to "sell at least as much as the original PSP"? That sounds "not so ok after all".

This is bullshit. Sony reacted on whats on the market and tried to get a piece of the pie.

Kind of a slow reaction, honestly. Regardless of the fact they have been studying motion controllers for years, since the early 2Ks, the Move showing at 2009 E3 felt like something arranged the day before, in total fear of "Natal".

DMeisterJ

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Truth.

But we don't know how many Move Controllers they have shipped to retail, which is Sony's measure of success.

crazy monkey

holds a masters in liberal arts
Cheech said:
So, not only does it appear that Move has failed, but that people seem to care more about Kinect than Blu Ray.

Harsh.

people can buy cheap blu-ray player for 100$. I very sure there are more blu -ray player sold than kinect around the world.

Mass Effect 2 on the 360 was an average seller in the US and Europe, beaten even by bug-ridden Fable 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, both of which came out several months later, so I'm not surprised to see that the PS3 version didn't chart. The Mass Effect franchise doesn't appear to be as big as perceived. I'm wondering if EA's regretting shelling out a huge chunk of cash on the purchase of BioWare seeing as how most of their sales have been lukewarm.

tzare

TheOddOne said:

that depends on what sony expects.Not what you or myself expect. You can see the different marketing budgets that kinect and move had, so i guess each company had different target sales. It is like pspgo, i am sure you can agree they did not expect it to be a huge success.

We will probably learn more when next generation launches, if move stays or disappears from sony's plans.

Hammer24

Banned
crazy monkey said:
people can buy cheap blu-ray player for 100$. I very sure there are more blu -ray player sold than kinect around the world.

BR players can be had from many different companies, Kinect just from one.
To compare them is silly in several ways.

TheOddOne

tzare said:
that depends on what sony expects.Not what you or myself expect. You can see the different marketing budgets that kinect and move had, so i guess each company had different target sales. It is like pspgo, i am sure you can agree they did not expect it to be a huge success.

We will probably learn more when next generation launches, if move stays or disappears from sony's plans.
This logic doesn't make sense, they expected some kind of succes with that product but it didn't pan out.

Its not like they where in Sony HQ going ''Yeah, we are gonna bring a new PSP thats digital only! It will not sell much but whatever lets just release it.'' This applies to Move too.

heringer

TheOddOne said:
Nobody releases a product expecting/setting expectations to be just doing ok.
Of course they do. Not saying it's the case with Move, but they do.

Unless by "doing ok" you mean losing money.

Darkener2

jon_irenicus said:
Mass Effect 2 on the 360 was an average seller in the US and Europe, beaten even by bug-ridden Fable 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, both of which came out several months later, so I'm not surprised to see that the PS3 version didn't chart. The Mass Effect franchise doesn't appear to be as big as perceived. I'm wondering if EA's regretting shelling out a huge chunk of cash on the purchase of BioWare seeing as how most of their sales have been lukewarm.
Mass Effect 2 was a better game to both Fable 3 and New Vegas, but I preferred in the story of the first game then in the second... on EA regretting buying Bioware maybe but not John Riccitiello since he made money on selling Bioware-Pandemic to himself (Elevation Partners)

LosDaddie

Banned
TheOddOne said:
This logic doesn't make sense, they expected some kind of succes with that product but it didn't pan out.

Its not like they where in Sony HQ going ''Yeah, we are gonna bring a new PSP thats digital only! It will not sell much but whatever lets just release it.'' This applies to Move too.

Well, he did say "huge" success there. But yeah, I do agree with you that Sony expected PSPGo to be a success, on some level.

tzare

TheOddOne said:

that is not what i am saying. i am saying that they release products with some targets in mind, and those targets do not need to be the greatest success in history of sales. Of course the better it does the better for them.

I'm really in fear of the gaming industry. Everything but the 360 is down YoY, and even considering the 360 it's not that impressive. No don't get me wrong the Kinect is a great success for Microsoft but for something that is suppose to give the platform a second wind I don't think 13% up is too healthy.

Cornbread78

Sony Press Release:
Originally Posted by Industry Gamers:
"January’s NPD numbers, reflecting a 25% increase in PS3 software sales, demonstrate continued momentum for the PlayStation ecosystem. As the only system with both stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, PlayStation is delivering a new era of immersive entertainment fueled by the industry’s strongest content lineup. Next week, with the arrival of one of the most anticipated titles of the year, Killzone 3, consumers’ expectations for exhilarating 3D graphics and fast-paced PlayStation Move action will be further elevated in living rooms around the world," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

Does anyone else sense a little damage control here? LBP2 charted well, but MS is eating up Sony still in hardware sales.

Outside of KB, their marketing and market strategy have been horrible for Sony.... A Price drop is needed and quickly to keep their great devs around making great exclusives as well as 3rd party devs spending time on the PS3 ports

Software may be in PS3 corner for 2011, but Gears 3 will outsell KZ3, LBP2 and maybe even R3 combined, because there are no other big exclusive titles for XBox this year, so everyone is just waiting for Gears 3.... Anyone agree with that scary thought for Sony?

tzare said:
that is not what i am saying. i am saying that they release products with some targets in mind, and those targets do not need to be the greatest success in history of sales. Of course the better it does the better for them.
So are you saying that Sony is satisfied with the output they've established with Move? Please explain what you're basing your results on.

KingDizzi

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Does anyone else sense a little damage control here? LBP2 charted well, but MS is eating up Sony still in hardware sales.

Outside of KB, their marketing and market strategy have been horrible for Sony.... A Price drop is needed and quickly to keep their great devs around making great exclusives as well as 3rd party devs spending time on the PS3 ports

Software may be in PS3 corner for 2011, but Gears 3 will outsell KZ3, LBP2 and maybe even R3 combined, because there are no other big exclusive titles for XBox this year, so everyone is just waiting for Gears 3.... Anyone agree with that scary thought for Sony?

Sony are totally fucked in NA, GeOW3 will indeed outsell those three combined in NA with no problem at all. They have bigger things to worry about anyway, namely something people might have heard of late, it's called NGP at the mo. They will just ride it out with the PS3 in NA, they are not going to come back from what has happened so why bother competing with something you will never catch? The PS3 will get a price cut this year for sure and that should improve sales but NA is a lost cause. NA though, this is NPD so I will leave it at NA but WW is a different matter which is why Sony probably aren't shitting brinks at present.

KB is so fucking useless though, funny as a toilet seat and his adverts don't actually sell the game, just riles up the fanboys and nothing more.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Well, they're getting a port of Dance on Broadway, but the problem is, why would people buy a PS3 with Move for that when they can already play it on Wii for much less? You think those people care about HD and other things PS3 can offer?

offshore

PS3...just wow.

And the most perplexing thing is that Kaz doesn't seem to feel the need to change it up at SCEA, even though they've been comprehensively outsold by the competition every month for a full 12 months now.

Cornbread78

Sho_Nuff82 said:

I saw DDR with Move as GS yesterday, but I have not seen any any marketing at all on it. Seems the DDr community has dried up.

Top Bottom