• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2007

fernoca

Haunted One said:
Eledees/bits is the only quality game that bombed that comes to mind.
Yeah, but Elebits "bombed" only in NeoGAF...
Because that same team is making Dewy's Adventure, so if the game actually bombed..they wouldn't be making that game on the Wii.

In fact, most of this "bombs" are only in NeoGAF.
Eidos was happy with the sales of Tomb Raider Legend, and used that as incentive to port Anniverasry to Wii..
But on NeoGAF, TR Legend "bombed" on the GameCube...

We all need to rememebr that for NeoGAF, games that are not in the Top 10 or even the Top 20..are "bombs"...Scarface, Godfather, Madden..and others....all have sold as good or better than the developers expected, but all of them are considered "bombs" in this forum.

laserbeam

Banned
FF13 on the PS3 is simply due to the expectation the PS3 was gonna dominate the landscape. It Started as a PS2 title then was totally scrapped to be a PS3 title.

Im not saying its gonna go multi or whatever but its PS3 not cause they want it to but cause they thought the PS3 would own the world

Leondexter said:
I'd like to ask a question on the topic of "3rd party games don't sell on the Wii".

What 3rd party games have not sold as well as they should have on the Wii?

Based on reviews The Godfather Blackhand springs to mind and I certainly thought that SSX Blur should have done better.

AniHawk said:
Very true. The Wii has no good games.
:mad:

fernoca said:
Scarface, Godfather, Madden..and others....all have sold as good or better than the developers expected, but all of them are considered "bombs" in this forum.

I didn't know that about Scarface and Godfather, I pretty much thought they did nothing although I am picking up one of them at some point.

Madden Wii was selling on par with the PS3 version last time I checked so I never thought that bombed.

AniHawk said:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, or made by Nintendo.

Umm... Okay just give me a minute...

Okay dammit, I'll get back to you after No More Heroes comes out...

is it sad that I went through the entire EBGAMES list?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
laserbeam said:
FF13 on the PS3 is simply due to the expectation the PS3 was gonna dominate the landscape. It Started as a PS2 title then was totally scrapped to be a PS3 title.

Im not saying its gonna go multi or whatever but its PS3 not cause they want it to but cause they thought the PS3 would own the world

By the time its out there are going to be a lot of PS3s out there, and many more sold once its released. Nothing on PS2 level of course but they will still make bank.

fernoca

But regarding third parties..my opinion is still the same one as before:

fernoca said:
What I don't get is that why there's always the need to bring the "third party games don't sell on Wii/Nintendo consoles" on every Nintendo related thread.

The Nintendo 64 barely got third party support because of the cartridge format...and the GameCube usually always ended getting half assed third party ports. With the PS2 version usually being decent because it was the main version they developed, and the Xbox version usually being as good or better than the PS2 version, because they spent time updating some of the visuals, and adding some other stuff, ....but the GameCube version ending as an "in-between" sometimes just worst,....
Why would the developers or the gamers expect good sales of those lame ports??

Everyone knows that so far, third parties has been lazy as hell with the Wii, mostly releasing PS2 ports/shovelware, so why would anyone (even them) expect 1+ million sales of Splinter Cell on Wii, when it even was such an horrible port?? Third party games sell if they are at least good. Why Eidos decided to port Tomb Raider Anniversary to Wii? Because of the better than expected sales of Legend on the GameCube (after releasing it so late)...

If the developers continue with the bad PS2 ports and shovelware and half assed games, while only Nintendo and a few others continue pushing the Wii visuals, gameplay, online aspects..then, third party games will continue selling bad. So, developers are to blame for the low third party sales, not the people not buying those third-rate-party games.

Leondexter said:
I'd like to ask a question on the topic of "3rd party games don't sell on the Wii".

What 3rd party games have not sold as well as they should have on the Wii?

About the only title that fits that question (for the US at least) is SSX Blur. And a small amount to Sonic and the Secret Rings. But I have a feeling Sonic's been selling well these months without NPD. Like in the 60-70k range each month so it doesn't fit either.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AniHawk said:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, or made by Nintendo.
I was all set to post SPM until I got to the last part. DAMN YOU!

FF13 is still on the PS3 because of logistical issues. The only platform that they can do a straight port to is doing even worse in Japan. I for one wouldn't be surprised if the game eventually gets ported to the 360 for markets outside of Japan and as a late port for Japan. I don't expect FF14 to be on the PS3. That said, I believe it is possible, even if unlikely, that FF13 will sell a significant number of PS3s on it's own merit.

Xeke

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
Umm... Okay just give me a minute...

Okay dammit, I'll get back to you after Prime 3 comes out...

And don't you say it!!!

is it sad that I went through the entire EBGAMES list?

Prime 3 is made by Nintendo...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:

Possibly Sonic?

fernoca

So, so far...
AniHawk *Updated* said:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, tacked-on waggle, normal waggle, a sequel, prequel, spinoff, or made by Nintendo or any well known developer for that matter.
But I can't even name one of those "for the other guys"... :lol

fernoca said:
Yeah, but Elebits "bombed" only in NeoGAF...
Because that same team is making Dewy's Adventure, so if the game actually bombed..they wouldn't be making that game on the Wii.

In fact, most of this "bombs" are only in NeoGAF.
Eidos was happy with the sales of Tomb Raider Legend, and used that as incentive to port Anniverasry to Wii..
But on NeoGAF, TR Legend "bombed" on the GameCube...

We all need to rememebr that for NeoGAF, games that are not in the Top 10 or even the Top 20..are "bombs"...Scarface, Godfather, Madden..and others....all have sold as good or better than the developers expected, but all of them are considered "bombs" in this forum.

No No no that's all wrong. I can point to COUNTLESS messages from GAFFers here that specifically state there is NO set criteria in sales for whether a game bombs or not.

they would never count any game as a bomb. Ask the people in MC threads yourself

Xeke

Banned
LanceStern said:
No No no that's all wrong. I can point to COUNTLESS messages from GAFFers here that specifically state there is NO set criteria in sales for whether a game bombs or not.

they would never count any game as a bomb. Ask the people in MC threads yourself

Unless it fails to reach 300k of course. Once it reaches that point it moves from bomb to smashing success.

fernoca

LanceStern said:

Yeah, but you're just pissed off at them, that you predicted 300k sales for Dragon Quest Swords in a year (in Japan) and it sold that..in a week. :lol

And in any case, as I say the only ones that matter into the whole "bombing games" arguments are the developers, and at the moment they seem happy with the sales of the usual "late ports with waggle"...

As I ..ehr..quoted myself ealier, I just hope that developers don't expect millions of sales of their late/quickly/badly ported games..and use that as an excuse to not release more Wii games....as long as they are happy, and use those new funds for new/original Wii games or at least good (and not so late) ports..it's all good.

fernoca

Innotech said:
goddamn elebits.

most underrated wii game.

and a great one at that.
Sorry but it falls into:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, tacked-on waggle, normal waggle, a sequel, prequel, spinoff, or made by Nintendo or any well known developer for that matter.
:lol

fernoca

Then the other consoles are exactly the same, going by:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, tacked-on waggle, normal waggle, a sequel, prequel, spinoff, or made by a first pary or any well known developer for that matter.
-Gears of War: First party and well known developer
-Viva Piñata: First party, gimmicky and well known developer
-Oblivion: Multirelease and well known developer
-Motorstorm: First party and well known developer
-Virtua Fighter 5: Multirelease and well known developer
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Well known developer

Damn!! :lol

Link316

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
You're right, my bad. It makes perfect business sense to not pay attention to the best selling game device in your HOME COUNTRY. I really should just defer to their wisdom, I'm just their consumer after all.

it makes perfect sense considering that Capcom is focusing on the entire industry rather than just limiting themselves to Japan, I would say their new approach's working since its already given them 2 new million selling IPs in Dead Rising & Lost Planet

Link316 said:
it makes perfect sense considering that Capcom is focusing on the entire industry rather than just limiting themselves to Japan, I would say their new approach's working since its already given them 2 new million selling IPs in Dead Rising & Lost Planet

Last time I checked the DS is killing worldwide. But as you pointed out I'm not running Capcom and all the better for them.

fernoca

^^:lol ^^
ksamedi said:
RedSteel.
That game is awesome!
Is gimmicky, I mean..how would you qualify a game that you use you Wiimote as a sword or as a gun?? :D

It also falls into:
Name one that isn't a gimmicky game, port, remake, non-game, minigame compilation, tacked-on waggle, normal waggle, a sequel, prequel, spinoff, or made by a first pary or any well known developer for that matter.

ksamedi

fernoca said:
^^:lol ^^

Is gimmicky, I mean..how would you qualify a game that you use you Wiimote as a sword or as a gun?? :D

It also falls into:

Forgive me for my english but, what do you guys define as gimmicky?

Bildi

fernoca said:
-Gears of War: First party and well known developer
-Viva Piñata: First party, gimmicky and well known developer
-Oblivion: Multirelease and well known developer
-Motorstorm: First party and well known developer
-Virtua Fighter 5: Multirelease and well known developer
-Metal Gear Solid 4: Well known developer

Damn!! :lol
Thank goodness none of us really play games - there's nothing to play!

Monk

Banned
fernoca said:
Yeah, but you're just pissed off at them, that you predicted 300k sales for Dragon Quest Swords in a year (in Japan) and it sold that..in a week. :lol

And in any case, as I say the only ones that matter into the whole "bombing games" arguments are the developers, and at the moment they seem happy with the sales of the usual "late ports with waggle"...

As I ..ehr..quoted myself ealier, I just hope that developers don't expect millions of sales of their late/quickly/badly ported games..and use that as an excuse to not release more Wii games....as long as they are happy, and use those new funds for new/original Wii games or at least good (and not so late) ports..it's all good.

I think the criteria is for whether a game bobms or not varies game to game. I mean Elebits had a 1 year dev time. A japanese devs wages are about 50k p/a right? So the highest it would cost would be 3 million dollars. A publisher makes around 44% profits of a $50 dollar game taking out cogs and retailer cuts.

Devs on elebits
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/data/933005.html
Publisher cuts
http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,3/dgm,54720/

3million/$22 per game =~136 700 units sold before a publisher breaks even.

So in this case i think that the game was a success considering that it is more or less a "learning" game of the wii architecture for future games(considering the time frame it was released) and considering past support of Konami on the GCN.

Top Bottom